Dan & Phil Part 56: Phanthony! at the Disco

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
rebeldiamond007
first-time poster

Hi, everyone! I'm new here! I finally have been able to catch myself up on everything regarding today's ls and the party game and I'd have to agree. I don't really have too much to contribute, except I'm also thinking no live show next week for Dan but rather a joint one on the 19th for reasons and also the game thing. Also it's a Thursday. I still can't believe they're legit gonna release it on the 19th...like they don't know what they're doing... :tu: :cry:
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

I haven't seen the liveshow but they're gonna play fireboy and watergirl??? for real?? that game was THE SHIT for me and my sister when we were younger. we would spend hours on the different games (there are five iirc) and played until we had an A rating on all the levels. i love deppy playing co-op games, guys pls don't disappoint me with this one. since they have to play on the same keyboard i expect phil to be in dan's lap by thr end

also i am doubtful about there being more bomb disposal vids but i wish they would play more because i loved their first ones
Last edited by mysterylovescompany on Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
whelpkeeper
sad dimple
Pronouns: they/their

I really liked the live show today- the yellow and Phil popping in especially :garbage:

I'm also pleased with how he went about discussing everything mental health related, raising awareness in such a lovely way is always appreciated :rainbowsparkle1: I already made note to watch the Korean movies he mentioned, plus I low-key forgot about John Green's book so I definitely need to check that out too. :D

...was I the only one who thought their doorbell was super crazy zany? I've never heard anything like that before, I honestly though Dan was getting a call at first :lol:

Oh, and I'm excited for the DnP board game- going to try and avoid spoilers though. It's disappointing that the surprise was ruined, but it was probably the company's fault at the end of the day. Personally I wouldn't have posted something that substantial if I knew would be a leak, but :shrug: that's just me maybe. Also excited for the calendar- I wouldn't mind puppies one bit :love2:
The air soft as that of Seville in April,
and so fragrant that it was delicious to breathe it.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Get your thread name suggestions in! I'm going to try to get the poll up in the morning (since it's bedtime for me!) so we aren't hitting the end of a thread right as Dan posts his video. :)
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

dan's liveshow? dip and dot both posting about mental health day? a new calendar?? a mental health video by dan? i am heckin living today damn

btw i know i say this every time but i s2g his liveshows get better and better after every one. his talk about mental health made me emotional as i struggle with it myself daily. when phil came in at the end i was like hell yea man and they just seemed so domestic? i just love dan's liveshows lately, they seem so wholesome and good. looking forward to the new dan video. it will probably get some backlash yeah, but.. it's okay. i am sure dan can handle it!
:transheart:
teamug
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

In MY (very own personal) opinion that leak is absolutely nothing negative. Unfortunately, Dan and Phils' marketing escapades aren't always particularly good. (basing this on the so-called leaked photos not being part of a marketing scheme) The SURPRISE and planned/organized announcements of the bygone years have not gone over well with their fanbase. In large part due to the bad tactic of dumping and hiding, like with tabinof, that trailer...the aftermath was shockingly vitriol on all fan platforms, not just on the site of two consonants. It was honestly ridiculous, but the following silence from deppy was surprising. That silence might be down to the joint relationship deppy have with whoever the project is with (book - publisher) (movie - yt) (game- game publisher), deppy can't say anything without clearing it with their partner first, AND it's major fail of the partner to underestimate their audience by not being prepared for leaks, backlash, and all that pressure is of course aimed at deppy because they are the 'face' of the project. But silence towards an audience that is used to a response (the major difference between reality stars and yt stars according to yt stars) is counterproductive, silence used to quell the storm is rarely applicable (though often attempted) and successful in this modern age of social media. I am applying this use of silence only to deppy products, just commerce, nothing personal (whole other barrel).
Took a break in writing this and have lost all interest.
Basically, they suck at promoting and anything and anyone that does some of the work for them, good.
There is some, if not a lot, of irony in how ytbers hype and praise youtube as global, responsive, without boundries, and yet here they are all in the same mainstream commercial quagmire clusterfluck as all of us. Welcome to the immovable jungle lads.
JustMe
living flop
Pronouns: She/her

Loved how Dan credited Phil as "The Cheese" in the description of his liveshow :P
~ I'll be bold as well as strong and use my head alongside my heart ~
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

susan2 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:41 pm I think the "leak" may have happened because of a delay. Big Potato's Newsletter from 8 September seems to indicate things were planned to be announced earlier :shrug:
Considering how familiar many people here seem to be with Big Potato (I don't play board games so I have no idea about publishers), I am surprised no one recognised the cat whiskers!

Oh, and sign me up for a cute dog calendar pics! (Won't buy it cause I'm not a merch person but I am sure as hell looking forward to the vlog footage Phil talked about)
I guess the reason it took 3 days to shoot is cause they might have 12 different breeds and you can only have so many dogs waiting on set at the same time.
Make your calls now: I say January is Corgi and June is Shibes. :undertaledog:
smol beans
squish

as much as i would love puppies being included in the upcoming calendar, i am predicting dil/tabitha is what dan was hinting. him mentioning working with an art director and involving martyn, each month probably includes a lot of graphic editing/costume/makeup compared to their previous calendars which they could photoshop themselves.

i'm just imagining dan as tabitha, phil as dil, wearing their recent gaming merch and dab and dalien being digitally included posing like a family photo :rofl: #domestic :garbage:
eXcUsE mE?
whut is the opposite of s m o l , halppy, yellow sun?
DatCog
blobfish

I want the calendar to be Deps & Dogs so badly but I have a strong feeling it'll be Sims, although on top of all the Sims merch they've just released, it feels a bit much. The idea of just 12 lovely natural poses with assorted dogs is just :love2: :love2: but they wouldn't need all the art director fuss if that was the case.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

Well damn. That was a lot to come back to after being at work from 9-6 Australian time. It's taken me four hours to catch up!

Re: liveshow - Loved it, personally. I get where people are coming from that Dan seemed a bit anxious/wary, but only within reason. He didn't come across as irritable or defensive to me. Regarding the way he spoke about his nails, he seemed a) obviously joking about he and Phil being "lads" or whatever, and b) preemptively wary of the over-enthusiastic hype that tends to arise whenever Dan does anything that can be perceived as "breaking gender roles". This is understandable to me, and while I don't think it should be necessary for him to react that way, I completely sympathise with why he feels that way. I think that overall any negative vibes he may have been emitting (and I didn't personally perceive many at all) just stemmed from his nervousness surrounding the upcoming mental health vid (given what a sensitive/important topic it is, and also as a result of making himself vulnerable by speaking openly about his own experience with mental health), as well as maybe his attempts to avoid talking about the board game despite (I'm assuming) mentions of it in the chat. There have definitely been liveshows in the past where Dan has seemed off to me, and as such I've been left feeling a bit down, but that was certainly not the case for me this liveshow.

Overall though, I thought it was a really lovely liveshow. I think he handled the mental health discussion really well, and I was especially impressed by the way he discussed therapy (that it's worth seeking professional help, that therapy is unfortunately a privilege and needs to be more accessible, that some therapists are not so great but it's worth taking the time to find someone trustworthy who can help you out). He was very gentle and understanding with people, and I appreciated that he felt able to relate some things back to himself, e.g. talking about his uncle who has (had?) bipolar (I also have an uncle with bipolar disorder).

I'm desperately trying to lower my expectations regarding the calendar. I so badly want for it to be dogs, but I'm not letting myself believe it. I'm telling myself it is going to be sims-themed (god I hope not) to avoid inevitable disappointment when that turns out to be the case. Hoping they prove me wrong!!!!

Also obviously the whole Phil bit at the end was wonderful. Their doorbell is terrifying, but god everything about that interaction was so lovely. Phil being so supportive of a cause that is clearly dear to Dan's heart is really heartwarming (not that it isn't also important to Phil, I'm sure), Phil making fun of Dan's sheer terror at thinking there was an intruder in their house was so funny/sweet, and Dan's reaction to learning Phil had ordered him a milkshake was wholesome :'''') He seemed so genuinely touched by how thoughtful Phil had been, and I love how keen they both were to cut the liveshow short and eat some food. It was the most domestic their live shows have been in a while I think, and I felt like their love for each other really shone through :love1:

Re: board game
- Interesting!! I don't have much to say about it, other than I hope the original poster doesn't feel bad, it wasn't their fault! I'm intrigued to find out more about it, as far as projects they could have been working on a board game is up there as one of the more appealing things to me.
malday
emo goose

DatCog wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:02 pm I want the calendar to be Deps & Dogs so badly but I have a strong feeling it'll be Sims, although on top of all the Sims merch they've just released, it feels a bit much. The idea of just 12 lovely natural poses with assorted dogs is just :love2: :love2: but they wouldn't need all the art director fuss if that was the case.
It would make more sense if the theme is DAPG and for each month they cosplay characters from a game they played on the channel, i don't think they could fill 12 months with just Sims.
autumnhearth
senpai

I don’t think the whole calendar would be Sims themed, just one photo for one month. Just like I doubt the whole calendar would be puppies/dogs (though that sounds a lot more plausible) just deppy with a dog in one of the photos for a single month. I think there’s probably an overarching idea/theme that either a dog or Dil could fit into. I went back and transcribed what he said, though his “in the photos” plural seemingly contradicts everything I just said. His reactions though... it doesn’t seem to fit with just puppies or Sims...

15:55 “How was your week dearest?”
“It was good, um, I think Phil mention this, but we’re doing another silly Dan and Phil Calendar. Obviously you know, Dan and Phil merch is so much less important than today, um. So we did that silly comedy calendar and we had just so much fun, cause you know like, there’s all those cheesy people like there’s this guy called Cliff Richard in the UK, who like everyone’s mum fancies and he always does these really cheesy, I’m not shaming him, calendars where he totally unironically like poses shirtless playing basketball, even though he’s seventy, he’s rockin it, and we were just like oh ‘my god we should like take the piss out of that, that would be so funny’, and we’ve done a few of them, and I wasn’t sure I wanted to do another one, cause we’ve done three now and that’s a lot. So I was like ‘yeah, you know what maybe not’, but then we had an idea, I think it was Phil’s brother that had the idea and then we ju- we just started rolling and it’s gotten completely out of hand, so um, it’s happening. I don’t know if we’ll do another one, I think this might be going out with a bang, but maybe the biggest bang you’ve ever- don’t quote me on that (oops sorry) um, but (shakes his head and laughs) *oh boy*. Yeah, this (fff breathing out) this concept, I think it, it just seemed so fun *to do*, that we wanted to do it, um. So you’ll know, you’ll know soon, don’t worry, but it’s gonna, it’s gonna blow minds. It’s completely different, we’re not taking the photos ourselves, we’ve worked with like (smile, breathing, silent laugh) an art director to do this, it’s (sigh, touches forehead) oh god.”

Reading from chat supposedly “Any, any hints?”
“Okay. Uh you might care more about something or someone in the photos with us, than you do about us. Cause I know I do.”

Yep malday I think so too! Their minds seem to be on gaming merch, and fitting themselves into so many of those games and doing it well would be quite the undertaking. I expect Sims, Undertale, Mario, Donkey Kong, maybe Sonic and Crash Bandicoot. Secretly hoping for My Horse Prince for February and *maybe* Dream Daddy? What do you all think? Caddy lads? Bomb disposers? Characters from The Mark of Oxin?! Yes, please. At least one spooky one. Perhaps they can be scalies from Dragon City. Could Shelter fit in somehow?

(And honestly if they don’t do gaming or puppies, then they have themes for the next two years)
DatCog
blobfish

I'd enjoy a DAPG calendar if they recreated scenes from some of the games they've played in the past. However, recreating games doesn't seem like much of a departure from previous calendar themes, plus, as autumnhearth quotes above, Dan seems to be implying that there's something/someone extra with them in more than one of the calendar photos :shrug:
fancybum
senpai

Okay leaving aside who the special guest(s) will be (but who are we kidding, it's dogs- wouldn't video games just be a headache of licensing/whatever requests, and why would we care more about like, Sonic, compared to D&P?), is he saying the calendar will be full of them ironically posing as hearthtrobs non-ironically? Ironyception? Because I'm more excited about how fucking weird that could turn out.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

In case anyone was desperately craving a nice, high res image of the board game, I dug into Amazon and found one.

So pretty. So neon. So Dan and Phil. :rainbowsparkle:
chiccola
sofa crease

rizzo wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:37 pm In case anyone was desperately craving a nice, high res image of the board game, I dug into Amazon and found one.

So pretty. So neon. So Dan and Phil. :rainbowsparkle:
Thanks for doing the digging rizzo
But is it just me finding it ironic that their party game is called "Truth bombs"? :lol:
What if the concept of the game similar to First Dates but it's purely for best friends and biffles (True) only?
DatCog
blobfish

4-8 players aged 14+ :thumb:
blackdenim
procrastinator

I'm not sure whether the calendar is dogs or not, but if it is and they used more than one, docile dog, it's totally believable to me that they'd need an artistic/shoot director: getting multiple animals to behave and pose in an aesthetically pleasing way for a photoshoot, and making sure the dogs AND Dan and Phil don't get constantly distracted is not something I feel is within Martyn and D&P's skill set alone!

I really hope it's dogs. I'll buy my first ever piece of D&P merch if so.
vincentian
hobbit hair

DatCog wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:51 pm 4-8 players aged 14+ :thumb:
I thought their branding involved having no friends and being antisocial. I feel betrayed :'(
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

yo that box for the game looks heckin cool!! i want to buy that game. now that i know they have a board game i am going to see if my mom will buy it for me for christmas :D
:transheart:
Lain
eclipse shirt

vincentian wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:15 pm
I thought their branding involved having no friends and being antisocial. I feel betrayed :'(
You and me both. :napsta:

I guess I'm not without options though.

1) Ply D&D group with copious amounts of alcohol.

2)
:dh:
vincentian
hobbit hair

Lain wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:59 pm
You and me both. :napsta:

I guess I'm not without options though.

1) Ply D&D group with copious amounts of alcohol.

2)
:dh:
:napsta: :napsta: :napsta:

For real though, the "play with your dog" and "it makes a good coaster" lines won't go down in this case. Wonder how they'll be selling it to us.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

autumnhearth
senpai

Agreed. You mean I have to ask one of my siblings and their partner to play it with us? I forget who suggested it, but I like the idea of organizing little groups on here, somehow.

Good point on the meltiple licensings issue. And the way that Dan phrased it does sound like only *one* person/animal/entity appearing in multiple photos. I kind of hope he misspoke, because that sounds boring (unless it’s puppies, but honestly he didn’t *sound* like he was talking about dogs, like there would be a different note of excitement in his voice.) I suppose they could stretch out a year of Dil, recreating important moments in his life thus far... but blah. Well whatever it is, I think it will come out well. Just for “fun” aka to feed my ocd I went through their gaming vids and in order and made little comments on the likelihood of them being included.
Donkey Kong- first game on the gaming channel on Sep 12th 2014. So could be September or January. They made four videos out of Tropical Freeze, so I find its inclusion very likely. One word: mounting.

Mortal Kombat- while it was the second game played on DAPG, it was only played once, so I find its inclusion less likely, though I could see them in their battle stances and it could represent Dan vs Phil.

Portal- I find highly unlikely, though it would be nice to represent the gaming challenges somehow...

Bishi Bashi- did have four videos made out of it... but I’m having a hard time picturing it and I’m just not personally interested beyond the innuendos.

The Sims- absolutely positively would be included. Dil was created (or at least first seen by us) on September 24 2014. So I think this would be the most likely choice for September, unless they want him earlier in the calendar or finishing the year with a Howlter Family Christmas.

Halo 3- unlikely and that’s just fine

Tekken- unlikely as well, though the feet challenge was great and that hair is pretty epic.

Five Nights At Freddy’s- if they were able to get the rights it would be a good representation for SpookyWeek and would definitely fall in October.

Sonic.exe- I highly doubt it, though I think Sonic could get a month.

Outlast and Slender- are other possibilities for spooky themed, I find Slender more likely than Outlast, I mean it’s just gross really.

Shelter- I would love for Phil to have his own month either in his moose hat and classic burgundy hoodie surrounded by badgers or somehow as the mother badger... Maybe for November? It’s a very autumnal game and the first video was uploaded Nov 11th.

Pokémon- oh god how did I forget about Pokémon? Dan first played Omega Ruby on the gaming channel, then there was the Pokémon GO series. They do have the onesies, though I would like to see Dan’s completed trainer outfit.

No need for any face morphing whatsoever thank you very much.

Minecraft- while an iconic game is not in anyway important to them. It’s funny that they flopped so hard, but they never played it again, it’s not worth getting the liscincing for and I just don’t see it getting a month.

Buzz- not gonna hit that buzzer

Just Dance- I mean I guess it would be kind of cool to have them dancing in someway, but it’s pretty boring compared to like actual worlds.

Mario Kart 8- someway, somehow, it needs a tribute. I’m all for Phil as Tanooki Mario.

Dragon City- I’m torn on this one. Yes there were several videos made, yes they were all spons, but either scalies or dragon trainers could be cool... I’m just not sure if it deserves a place over other things.

DDR- see Just Dance, plus they only did it as the three legged challenge. Don’t get me wrong I love to see them play it, but it would make for a boring photo, all they could really do is recreate the video, which if their going for moments/memories I guess. But I don’t think so.

Akinator- I can picture this one, but I don’t think they should. Skip the quizzes and most apps in general and avoid offending cultures.

7 Sec Challenge App? I mean, it’s theirs, but what would that even look like? Skip please.

No best friend quizzes, no sports simulators please. (Though it would oddly fulfill my disturbing dream of them participating in the Olympics.) Please don’t.

Sally.exe- see Sonic.exe or just nope.

Can Your Pet?- Can they not?

P.T. (Silent Hill)- No thank you.

Christmas Shopping Simulator and Festive Flash Fight- while December will need something, these are both poor candidates. Just umm have a Howlter Family Christmas instead. Or Undertale.

Undertale- abso-frickin-lutely, second only to the Sims in importance. The first episode was uploaded on January 17th 2016 and the final one was on December 23rd 2016. I think they could get the licensing.

World Chef- please skip, yes they are in the game, but let that be enough.

Chimbot- for the love of god, no.

Dragon Land- see Dragon City

The Impossible Quiz- I love this series, so much, but how would they even?

Agar.io and Slither.io- I mean... I suppose they could make some conceptual, aesthetic thing, but *yawn*.

Monster Legends- no.

Tinmore Inferno- I still haven’t watched this... for a reason.

Spongebob Slenderpants- Slenderman, maybe. Slenderpants, no.

Who Wants to Be a Millionaire- no game shows

Yandre Simulator- it could be funny, if they had continued. But let’s give the dating simulator spot to either My Horse Prince of Dream Daddy.

Best Fiends- no slugs. This was only made tolerable by their best friends quiz.

Katamari- I only wish that they had played this more than once.

Dance Evolution- see Just Dance

Slender Christmas- ugh

Bubble Bobble- I’m so soft for this video, but I don’t think it would make the cut.

The Button?- is that even what it’s called? No.

Kinect Sports- no sports

Gang Beasts- would be adorable but unlikely.

No Google games! I don’t care what their overlords say.

Crossy Road- I mean there is the emo goose, it could be cute, but I doubt it.

No Happy Wheels and No Whose Your Daddy, please.

No drawing games

My Horse Prince- yes, please be February. I need this. Phil needs this.

Golf With Friends- It was one of my favorite series though I’m torn on if it deserves a spot on the calendar. But if it helps them with their caddy lad kink, I’m all for it. March would be good for this.

1-2-Switch- I mean that whole video was roleplaying, I don’t think they need to recreate that.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes- I’m torn on this one as well. I love the bomb videos. They could easily dress up and have an explosion, but it feels a bit generic.

Yasuhati- I don’t think so.

Dumb Ways To Die- would be a dumb calendar spread.

The Mark of Oxin- YES PLEASE! I need to see that cosplay. My only doubt is that they might not choose it because it’s not instantly recognizable. But really for anyone supporting them by buying a calendar...

Club Penguin- obviously not.

Skipping all the silly quizzes

Snipper Clippers- definitely not making the cut. Bah dump.

Arms- no

I am Bread- no, but Phil please make Dan play this again.

GeoGuesser- guess what? No.

Crash Bandicoot- yeah, it’s only been played once on the gaming channel, but the nostalgia!

Lady Layton- I would love to see their cosplay, but let’s be honest, it would never make the top twelve.

Dream Daddy- I would love this, people would love this. But would they have been able to secure the rights in time?

Overcooked- let’s just keep this a livestream series.

Sonic Mania- again it’s about the nostalgia. Please.

Battle Cats- heh, no.

My Ideal Calendar

January- The Mark of Oxin, Undertale or Donkey Kong
February- My Horse Prince or Dream Daddy
March- Golf With Friends or Mario Kart
April- Crash Bandicoot or Bombs
May- Mario Kart, Dream Daddy or Golf
June- Pokémon
July- Donkey Kong or Mario Kart
August- Sonic, Crash Bandicoot or Dream Daddy
September- The Sims, Donkey Kong or Shelter
October- Five Nights At Freddy’s or Slenderman