Dan & Phil Part 95: ASS (Aquarium Staff Seminar)

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

Mine and Dan’s music tastes only overlap about 25% of the time and I’ve only discovered one song I like thru Phil (Paint it Black from West world). I have more overlap with their TV recommendations.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

glitterintheair wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:49 am
lefthandedism wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:21 am I wonder, do (did) other people look to Dan for music opinions/recommendations?
I also mourn Dan’s recs in general because even though I didn’t always agree with his opinions, it was a good way of finding out new music.
Same, I have a similar wide ranging taste and I always enjoyed checking out new music after hearing recs from Dan, even though I didn't end up enjoying every one of them. He has always liked rap stuff more than I do, but I've found out a lot of weird pop/heavy production artists that I like through him. He also definitely gravitates to a lot of queer (and vocal ally) artists, which, like, saME. I miss is a little bit :(
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
inanerat
eclipse shirt

Since no one had posted this yet, here it is, and I'd really encourage you to sign it if you can. Captions are a really important part of accessibility in general and I was really angry when I got the email from YT about it yesterday. :x I'm really glad Phil said something.

Youtube captions are complicated and their interface could be SO much better than it is, and community captions are vulnerable to misuse but they are so helpful to so many people. Especially since YT auto captions are often, particularly with videos like deppy's that have accents, slang and wordplay, absolute dog shite.

Captions help D/deaf and HOH viewers and people who don't speak English as their first language, or have trouble with accents or people who talk really fast (looking at you, deppy) and I know a good chunk of people in the Phandom use them.
laurenbacall
delia smith

inanerat wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:52 pm Since no one had posted this yet, here it is, and I'd really encourage you to sign it if you can. Captions are a really important part of accessibility in general and I was really angry when I got the email from YT about it yesterday. :x I'm really glad Phil said something.

Youtube captions are complicated and their interface could be SO much better than it is, and community captions are vulnerable to misuse but they are so helpful to so many people. Especially since YT auto captions are often, particularly with videos like deppy's that have accents, slang and wordplay, absolute dog shite.

Captions help D/deaf and HOH viewers and people who don't speak English as their first language, or have trouble with accents or people who talk really fast (looking at you, deppy) and I know a good chunk of people in the Phandom use them.
english is my first language + i use them because our boys love a good mumble! especially dan
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

I'm the same as laurenbacall - English is my first language and they're still useful to me even when the video is in English as well, plus I use them when I want to watch tutorials or videos in other languages. I know that sometimes people can be annoying with the in jokes and putting their own opinions in the captions but that seems like a really bad reason to throw the whole system away.

Of course, we know why they're doing this... along with the announcement to creators that they're getting rid of that system they apparently offered a six month discount on a paid alternative. It's all about that money. Anyway, I'm glad Phil signal boosted the petition.
liola
rankussy

English is NOT my first language and over the years I've sometimes had to use the subtitles/cc to understand some audio, and I also know how absolutely vital they are for the deaf/HoH community. But I'm still not surprised they are removing the function because tbh I think it's badly programmed. Before this announcement the number one thing people would talk about when talking about subtitles/cc on YouTube is just how bad they can be when fans misuse and abuse it for trolling and spamming. And yes, they did put a control so that they have to be approved by the creator, but if I think of someone as Phil, who receives probably a ton of submissions for each of his videos, the majority of which languages he has no idea what they are, do I really expect creators to validate these subtitles? Honestly, no. Even for English cc it would be hard because it takes time, and if you're relying on the community you might as well trust it altogether. And that is not including creators who did not turn the function on.

Is it good for the community? Hell no. Using a service (like the non profit they're partnering with as a gift for 6 months) is ultimately a bad choice for the creators, because they have to request every single language, provide files for each video and then manually upload them on YouTube, who's got the time and patience for that? No one. So I have to hope they will see the outrage and work on something better that is integrated on YouTube itself

But the organization they're suggesting is a non profit and on voluntary based so it doesn't look linked to them, I think it's more the hassle of maintaining a service that in their eyes is more a pain than it's worth it. Business vs community :shrugs:
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
autumnhearth
senpai

Phil today? (I only know one man)
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

The Amazing Book by Phil Lester
Phil Goes Outside by Phil Lester
:lol:
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Removing CC is a ridiculous and harmful plan. Buuuut I'm also a tiny bit conflicted because while I think the Community Captions are important for accessibility and stuff, I don't love the way Creators could profit from translations that fans did for free. I get that it's a community thing and that people do it out of love for the Creator (and I think that's great god knows I survived on fansubbed anime for years), but professional translation work is already severely underpaid.

It's also depends on the YouTuber. Plenty of YouTubers really do treat it as a community thing, by viewers and for viewers. They don't get involved (though maybe they should). Now I don't know if CC on DnP's videos made a significant impact on their international viewer base, but I've seen a YouTuber complain about how a fan consistently adding subtitles in a certain language resulted in a substantial growth in viewers who speak that language and now they were gonna lose that. And that bothered me because that means it's directly about the profit you had from that free work. I still think it's great that someone is willing to do that for free, but if that 5% increase in viewers matter so much, you could maybe pay someone?? Not that I have any faith that this idiotic plan would get some people decently paid. Just look at Crunchyroll.

In conclusion, I definitely think some things needs to change with how Captions are done and the attitude from users and Creators towards them, but there was no need to throw the baby out with the bath water.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

I just came across something funny in this old Zoey vlog from 2013 and wondered if it was discussed back in the day. In the background in the upper left part of the screen at 13:53 it looks like some guy is changing his clothes in front of Dan and Phil. Anybody know who the guy is? Also there’s a bit of Dan starting at 9:52 and the dancing at 12:29.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Cute shoutout from last night.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

I'm pretty sure philsthiccbooty was on the June 1st "Dear Hank and John" that was based on a live performance. So they are old buddies. :tu:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
inanerat
eclipse shirt

liola wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:28 am But the organization they're suggesting is a non profit and on voluntary based so it doesn't look linked to them, I think it's more the hassle of maintaining a service that in their eyes is more a pain than it's worth it. Business vs community :shrugs:
Of course it's all about money, it always is. Capitalism smh. As a society we are so used to throwing accessibility under the bus for the sake of profit :x

It's interesting, I looked into the organization YT mentioned working with (Amara), and the platform isn't terrible. However, their description of all of their different options isn't great. On the public side of their platform, it seems to be entirely volunteer based and there's I don't see any built-ins for quality control that would make it any better than YT's community captions, the creator would still have to look over them before choosing to use them? They do have a style guide, which is nice and is one problem with community captions, that they vary in style so much. It's not a super thorough guide though. The caption editor itself is decent and pretty comparable to Rev's, both a lot better than YT's. And I can't tell but it seems like to get something that would have quality control for professionalism and accuracy you would need to use the paid version of their service.

I do appreciate the multi-lingual aspect of Amara, but it is also really worth noting that while straight up captions are a lot of work, translation is a metric shitton of work. While it is great that community translations can work on YT and that it has widened people's audiences, it is an ungodly labor of love to expect from your community, and because it's community based, the process is even more susceptible to misuse since most creators probably can't really check translations for accuracy or signs of abuse.

I know some youtubers use Rev, which is a service you have to pay for (per video/audio minute), and the quality controls and style guidelines are a lot stricter. While most of their captioners are freelance, they do get paid for their work and they are under contract not to share anything about what they do, so people can get videos captioned before their public release and not get things leaked. (or at least if they leak the captioner is breaking contract) They also have timelines so it doesn't take a really long time for things to get captioned, as it can be with community models. It's would be hard to make a living off of captioning on Rev unless you got really good and did a lot (you get better job choice and pay tiers as you complete more jobs) you do actually get something for it money wise. I captioned for Rev for a little while mostly out of curiosity and because I see myself potentially becoming a professional captioner/subtitle translator in the future but getting a little bit of money for it definitely made it a lot more worth it to me.
Also a random question, does anyone know if Phil ever used Rev? It seemed to me around the time of COTY and a few videos after that that he might have to me (maybe because he wanted to make sure things like COTY were more accessible? idk) because the captions of some of those videos follow the Rev style guidelines. And like the glasses video follows the off-camera-voice labeling guidelines and has some mistakes in it on words like furry? Which like everyone in the deppy community that would be captioning probably should know what a furry is and how to spell it lmao. It is funny to imagine some random person captioning Phil's videos and coming across things like furries though, that said, I have captioned far stranger things through Rev.

Overall, I think what might work best is for YT to partner with someone like Amara or Rev to use their caption editor (because YT's is terrible in comparison) and work on improving the community captions feature so that people could, for example, report sections of a caption as incorrect or abusive after they've been published so they can be changed. It's always going to be a little messy and imperfect, as community and crowdsourced things tend to be but to make it into something good YT will have to spend more money on it than they want to, that's for sure. :shrug:
firsttimeposter
living flop

Back in the day in like 2016, when Kanye was much less controversial, dan used to rave about him all the time and it introduced me to his music. Now ofc it’s a different story lmao. But I’ve always loved dans music taste though - I’m also obsessed with 1+1 by Beyoncé now haha.

As for the licorice, it’s literally my favorite snack ever. I usually buy some sweet stuff next to it as to not completely ruin my taste buds, but I love licorice with a PASSION. Then again, I am danish, so it comes naturally to me.

Lastly, one of my favorite phil moments will always be radio-phil. It makes me sooo nostalgic to see anything from that era, as it was still going on when I joined like five years ago lmao. It was just so different to see them in such a ‘professional’ setting still being dnp.

Editing this to weigh in on the subtitles - english is my second language, and dnp videos on YouTube (Along with zoella n stuff) really introduced me to the more casual aspects of the language which has helped me so much - but I would’ve never learned if not for the subtitles. There is SO often when I, even as an almost fluent English speaker, have to use the captions during videos, especially ‘low sound quality’ ones like starkid musicals. I would hate to loose that.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

Here’s a playlist I created with every August video I could find featuring deppy in order of day of the month the video was recorded on.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... KPLkivGfKH
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

phil, where ya at, buddy?

Amiaw
interactive introvert

New video tomorrow at 7pm UK time. Finally!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Oh bless this person, they made a second one.

Amiaw
interactive introvert

Only a few more hours until Phil uploads and I’m excited to see what he has for us. I’m convinced it’s going to be a solo video and it might even be a spon but he seems excited about the video and his last few spons were still really entertaining.

I still keep hoping that he announces live shows again so I’m putting that out in the universe
casualsun
delia smith

Hi guys! I'm a longtime lurker and finally decided to make an account! I know this site isn't the most active anymore but I was tired of keeping silent haha.

A long backstory that nobody asked for:
I first found the boys in 2011 and was a casual viewer until late 2012, when I became incredibly obsessed. I was a lonely high school freshman and they were my life. I could recite every video by heart. I spent all my time lurking on sites like phantaray, GG,, phanswers, etc. I even dreamed about them. However, my obsession didn't last long, and by late 2013, I was just a casual fan.

I have loosely kept up with them this whole time; I watched videos that piqued my interest but never interacted with any other social media. I watched their coming out videos last year and cried; I felt so happy for them even though I was no longer invested. I returned to GG, my old haunt, and found IDB. I perused this forum for a while, my dnp interest renewed, and then got busy and became a casual viewer again.

Cue 2020. In my final year of college, covid happens and I return home to my family. Something about sitting in my childhood bedroom with nothing to do reawakens my teenage self (I'm sure many of you can relate). I fall fully down the Dan and Phil rabbit hole again and have been lurking here since April. I've gone back and watched all the videos I skipped over and learned about many iconic moments I missed. I've also gotten caught up on some major drama and phandom moments. And here I am now haha. This forum isn't the liveliest so I decided I might as well start contributing and make it a little livelier.

It's pretty crazy to me that I have been watching Dan and Phil since middle school and here I am, a college graduate working a full-time job, and I am still invested in them. They have been such a formative part of my life and I don't think I will ever stop caring about them. They honestly feel like old friends at this point. :love2:

Onto a question I have:
I'm wondering if any of you remember a tumblr blog called lavitaricca? It was one of my favorites back in 2013 and I just went to search for it and found it dead. I was curious if anybody knows what caused the owner to delete its contents. I was also wondering if there are any saved pdfs/screenshots/etc of lavitaricca posts. Web.archive.org has saved a few captures but none contain anything of particular interest.

On another note, I'm excited for phil's video! I didn't keep up with his main channel for a long time but recently went back and watched the videos and found them surprisingly enjoyable! You can tell he genuinely enjoys Youtube and he seems so happy and relaxed; I think it's a major upgrade from his 2013-2017 content. I'm looking forward to seeing what in has in store for us!
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

casualsun wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:09 pm Hi guys! I'm a longtime lurker and finally decided to make an account! I know this site isn't the most active anymore but I was tired of keeping silent haha.
:welcome: !

It's fun seeing several new posters recently, even though our threads make rather sedate progress these days.

Here's hoping Phil gives us lots of coversational fodder....very soon! :tu:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
firsttimeposter
living flop

That video was LOVELY. I was literally smiling through the whole thing. Dnp are just the weirdest people ever hahaha but I truly appreciate the fact that we have such a kind people in our world who would go this far for a pigeon lmao. Loooove to see it, the vet and her effort as well. And I love the vloggy goodness from them too, I’ve been missing that bit from quarantine now that they’re at home even more often than before.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

That was 0 percent what I expected and I was 110% happy with it,
Last edited by alittledizzy on Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed youtube embed
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

phil continuing to bring me emotionally satisfying content ;_;

god i loved this video

the dan!! glimpse of him for those who are hair crazed! he talked all throughout it! phil talked ABOUT him!

but obvs the real star of the show is steve :( sweet pigie boy
daichii
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she | her

I hadn't posted on such a long time but boy does Phil deliver
To think ill be so happy and emotional for a pigeon

Edit: all those feet close ups tho