Dan & Phil Part 100: full-time internet homowners

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: she/her

I'm sure someone with more book knowledge will come along, but I do follow John Green who has a book coming out the same day to use as comparison. He's not really on social media, but the only vlogbrothers vids I've seen him do were some livestreams of him signing the page inserts (just literally a vid of him doing just that and not really talking; it was kind of meditative to watch), a video for the cover reveal, and a video just recently mentioning some virtual book tour events. I don't know if he's done any interviews outside of that, though I know he does have a podcast (which I don't listen to so maybe he's been talking about it there). So based on that, he doesn't seem to have done much more than Dan, so I'm thinking maybe the promo events happen closer to the release or right after.
Phantasy
woodland creature

I wonder if Dan’s book will explore some of the themes from Trying to Live My Truth, namely: food, laughter and sex.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

qakie wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:48 am dan's twitter interactions are so impressive considering he's not as culturally relevant now as he was 4 years ago. he used to get like 40k likes per tweet in 2016/17 and now he's averaging about 90k. does the UK general public consider him an A list celebrity or something cause this makes no sense to me ? phil's interactions have slightly dwindled since 2017 and I thought they were seen as equally relevant by the general public over there
Yeah and also it’s kinda “easy” for him to get likes because his tweets have the Relatable factor (did I type that while rolling my eyes? Probably). Ironically enough, it’s Phil the one making more “personal” tweets rather than generic tweets for comedy nowadays.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
kavat
pastel persona

Megancita75 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:34 am I'm sure someone with more book knowledge will come along, but I do follow John Green who has a book coming out the same day to use as comparison. He's not really on social media, but the only vlogbrothers vids I've seen him do were some livestreams of him signing the page inserts (just literally a vid of him doing just that and not really talking; it was kind of meditative to watch), a video for the cover reveal, and a video just recently mentioning some virtual book tour events. I don't know if he's done any interviews outside of that, though I know he does have a podcast (which I don't listen to so maybe he's been talking about it there). So based on that, he doesn't seem to have done much more than Dan, so I'm thinking maybe the promo events happen closer to the release or right after.
John has promoted his book on the podcast ("this podcast is sponsored by.. me") as well as on tiktok because somehow tiktok is one of the Green brothers bigger platforms these days.

I'm also waiting for all that promo, Dan promised we would be tired of him by the time the book comes out. I'm still very much not tired of him.
liola
rankussy

shan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:20 am
inanerat wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:10 am
alittledizzy wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:41 pm Dan really out here dishing up content on TWO platforms in ONE day? Who is this man!
he does have a book to promote after all
I’m pretty surprised at the lack of organised promo he’s done for the book so far. The way he was talking about it during the stereos, it seemed like there’d be lots of sneak peeks, interviews etc. in the extended lead up but I don’t think his book was even mentioned in the student pride talk.

I’ve never actively followed any authors in the lead up to book release before so maybe it’s totally normal to be this delayed? I guess I thought less than two weeks out that they’d really want to be pushing the pre-orders. It’s starting to look like the promo will begin after the book has been released at this point.
From what I remember a lot of those things happen the week of launch and right after. We live in a moment where there's so much happening and we're overwhelmed with information, so you don't want to promote something too early unless it requires buying even tickets that have to be reserved.

What Dan is doing right now is what in marketing is called staying top-of-mind. You don't want to only talk about the thing you're selling or show up just for that because it leaves a bad feeling in the consumer (which was the problem with what he did in 2019, basically only interacting right before a merch launch which made some of us upset) this way he's reminding people of who he is in a way that feels more organic and not forced, and maybe getting others curious of his endeavors
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Missed this one yesterday oops
He's really committing to the I'm Only Just Now Signing books bit which is amusing because I'm sure that this time he knows he's not fooling us.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Catallena wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:15 pm He's really committing to the I'm Only Just Now Signing books bit which is amusing because I'm sure that this time he knows he's not fooling us.
This time around I'll let him have it. I can totally see him and Phil pre-filming a whole bunch of crap in case moving became too overwhelming.

Who knows how much more pre-filmed content we have coming our way!!~*
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

AmazingPhil shop is DOWNNNN

I'm ready to fork over money for a candle (unless the scent sounds like something I'd absolutely hate but Ohros hasn't let me down yet).
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

One of Dan's twitter likes is a book retailer doing a 6-month flower subscription giveaway if you preorder through their site, and I'm so mad that it looks like UK/Ireland only because I would be all over that type of marketing campaign. No lie, having fresh flowers around is such a simple way to boost my mood.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

HarperCollins Australia sent an advance copy to a lesbian book reviewer. Her book reviews are lovely and I can't wait until she's allowed to post one for this! She did a post already talking about mental health awareness month and the courage it takes to open up.

rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I don't want to be that person.... but why is the book cover like.... slightly off-center? I want to unsee this.
liola
rankussy

rizzo wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:59 pm I don't want to be that person.... but why is the book cover like.... slightly off-center? I want to unsee this.
I thought i was crazy but no I'm not the only one who noticed
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Phantasy
woodland creature

Okay, this might be my favorite design to ever hit their shop. Would love to see future collabs like this in the future.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I really like this artist, and it's so great to see him work with them again. I'm so curious about the single-item merch release and limited sale, and how much of that is related to ongoing shipping/manufacturing issues caused by Covid.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I really love the art, and if I had that much money to spend on a hoodie I'd get it in a heartbeat - especially since it's offered in up to XXXL sizes.

I genuinely would buy it if they offered the art as a print!
shan
morning quiff

I’m really torn on this one. The design is gorgeous but I don’t know that I love it as a hoodie? Seconding that an art print would have been amazing.

I do like that they seem to be made to order so there’s actually a chance to think about it instead of it selling out immediately.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

It's not my thing, but it's always cool to see Phil collab with artists. An art print would be nice.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
adorally
phillion/danosaur <//3

I absolutely LOVE the design, it's so phil but also....cool lmao sorry king. and wow would you look at those beautifully tied hoodie strings
:straggy: :betta: :maskup:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Newsletter!
AmazingPhil Shop Newsletter wrote:Beep boop *happy modem noise* - that’s how robots greet each other.

Hello! In some very exciting LIMITED EDITION news (perhaps because I’m looking forward to a distant future), I have some new merch all the way from 2121!

I’ve collabed with one of my favourite artists Death and Milk, for this new off-white hoodie inspired by a Cyber-Phil appreciating some delicate nature in Spring 2121.

This design is a rare and limited collection and will only available in May before the portal to the future closes forever, so give yourself some aesthetic and comfy joy - you deserve it!

You can get yours HERE (worldwide store) or HERE (USA store)

And a mini-contest for you cool newsletter folks: anyone who gets a hoodie, tweet me @AmazingPhil and @IRLMerchandise with a photo, and you’ll be entered into a draw to win an AmazingPhil Shop gift card to treat yourself to whatever you want!! If you don’t have Twitter you can tag @IRL.Merch on Instagram too!

I hope your week is swell and you may or may not smell something sweet drifting over the horizon in June! 👀

-Philip
He better be hinting at a candle.
adorally wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:35 pm I absolutely LOVE the design, it's so phil but also....cool lmao sorry king. and wow would you look at those beautifully tied hoodie strings
lmaooo THOSE STRINGS sure hope someone doesn't mess them up for him
Levitating
#relatable

Hello! In some very exciting LIMITED EDITION news (perhaps because I’m looking forward to a distant future), I have some new merch all the way from 2121!
For 'some' reason, I had read "all the way from 2021" and immediately thought "omg he has completely missed the chance of saying 2022, the year he and Dan are supposed to get married, but he is totally also alluding to it, what a man, omg, he know he's going to make us freak out...!!".
Then I realised I had gotten it wrong.
:rofl:

Cool design!
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

Tumblr's said that Phil's hair looks like Danny from Grease in those photos and I just. cannot. unsee. it. :rofl:
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

shan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:55 pm I’m really torn on this one. The design is gorgeous but I don’t know that I love it as a hoodie? Seconding that an art print would have been amazing.

I do like that they seem to be made to order so there’s actually a chance to think about it instead of it selling out immediately.
Same, I really love the design (especially the back)!! But from past experiences light coloured hoodies are a no go for me. Even though this one is off-white it's just a no. Not that I don't think it looks good, but if I'm going to get a hoodie (esp a costly one) I want it to be something I wear a lot and will last a long time. Learnt my lesson a long time ago with a white merch hoodie (different fandom), I still wear it but not out and about 'cause it's gotten quite stained and dirty.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
kavat
pastel persona

The design is really nice! Love the color of it too. I have more than enough hoodies so I will pass on this one but definitely looking forward to a candle.
BlueSnoko
sofa crease

liola wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:48 pm
rizzo wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:59 pm I don't want to be that person.... but why is the book cover like.... slightly off-center? I want to unsee this.
I thought i was crazy but no I'm not the only one who noticed

It is, and now I'm remembering Dan mentioning on Stereo that he's been sending a lot of small formatting changes to his publishing company.

In my expierence, when you fuss with the details too long on a graphic image or art piece you end up inventing problems that aren't there and "fixing" something that was already good, and making stupid mistakes you are blind to because you've been looking at it too much.
The mauve ones are boys and the white ones are girls, and the blue ones are just little sillies who are not sure what they are. - J. M. Barrie
shan
morning quiff

New video tonight! My guess is a ‘Dan cuts my hair’ video but I won’t be mad if it’s a moving vlog