Dan & Phil Part 100: full-time internet homowners

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

inanerat wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:27 pm
rizzo wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:36 pm
Also. Um. I miss Phil.
I miss Phil.
I miss Phil also.

In the drought, zack-chat with Phil (especially 1:31) never fails to make me giggle
Last edited by lefthandedism on Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed youtube embed
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

the fact that phil likes this makes me emotional in a way i can't explain?
shan
morning quiff

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:48 pm If you see something new happening in Dan and Phil land, please drop it here! There's no rule saying only certain people can post updates. I'm kind of sad no one is talking about Dan and Phil's gay tweets from yesterday or the new baby Dan pics or the comment Phil left on GMA.

I’ve been putting off watching Dan’s ‘big deal’ interviews like GMA and The View because they give me major second-hand stress for some reason but this was really nice! The cut together interview was a great way to knock out all the go to points in the short slot they gave it. I’m especially loving that when they did a scroll of his YouTube channel page, the two things that really draw attention was DAPG and ‘FAP’ in the thumbnail from the British slang vid :lol:
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

I'm not sure how to/if I'm supposed to embed actual web pages (not that I'm any good at embedding anything else), but there's an interview in Marie Claire today:
https://www.marieclaire.co.uk/life/heal ... lth-738455

And the press release from youtube about the streaming event with a bit more info here:
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2021 ... youtube01/

I heard Tyler mentioned on a recent stream he's doing something with Dan soon but couldn't say more, am guessing it must be for this :shrug:
shan
morning quiff

Ooooh I'll have to check out what the RPDR alums are doing for YouTube Pride as well! I filled a cart with Kim Chi's makeup earlier today and I'm still trying to decide whether or not to bite the bullet...

By any chance has anyone more organised than me kept a current list of Dan's interviews and appearances? I think dizzy posted one a few pages back but a lot has happened since then and where I live is back in lockdown so I actually have the time to catch up with everything! I'm still kind of in disbelief that we're in a timeline where there's so much new Dan content that it's difficult to keep up.
susan2
rainbow nerd

shan wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:42 pm By any chance has anyone more organised than me kept a current list of Dan's interviews and appearances? I think dizzy posted one a few pages back but a lot has happened since then and where I live is back in lockdown so I actually have the time to catch up with everything! I'm still kind of in disbelief that we're in a timeline where there's so much new Dan content that it's difficult to keep up.
dailydnp on tumblr have been keeping a handy list -
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fruitcriminals wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:26 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:25 pm
Also: who the hell booked him on these podcasts oh my god?! While I appreciate that this one is a bit different, his book isn't about faith or religion, those aren't topics he's ever wanted to broach or address. Did he have any say in these choices? I'm guessing not.
Maybe they've been planned so he reaches different people to the norm, particularly older but also more males and more gay males?

At 30 as a gay man it must be a bit annoying to post a thirst trap on instagram and it's not other gay guys commenting on it and giving you attention, it's girls 10-15 years younger predominantly saying things like 'did phil take this'.

Which is nobody's fault, he was in the closet, girls often like gay guy's content, much like he and most of my male friends who are gay like female content like real housewives but yeah that's just my guess as to why he's on and why he's not promoting the podcasts very much on his own socials.
I waited to reply to this until I had some energy for actual thought, because I think this is a really insightful response that I hadn't considered. Wanting to reach different people definitely sounds like the motivation behind the podcasts. I guess I have been a little surprised they didn't aim for any podcasts by youtubers but that would only expose him to the audience of 'people who might have watched him a few years ago and forgot he existed when he didn't post videos' so maybe they're just assuming those will get hit by osmosis of Dan fans still existing online.

In terms of the thirst trap thing... yeah I hadn't honestly thought of it like that before. We know Dan always had that complex (earlier on) about thinking his audience is straight males and wanting to impress them so it wouldn't surprise me if some remnants of that still remain but now who he wants to impress are who he regards as his direct peers, other gay men. I want to think Dan has shrugged off some of that attitude that used to feel so sour to a lot of us about women and non-cis men being his primary audience, but it's far more likely he's just shifted and adapted it but not left it all behind. Some shit that takes root in your brain can be very hard to unlearn, and I get that.

(Or these were all chosen by a publishing house marketing team who just went 'host is gay? dan's gay. book him." "host talks about depression? dan talks about depression. book him." etc).

It also makes me think of conversations I've had recently with people about how Dan is definitely, knowingly painting his audience one way toward people who aren't familiar with the audience and then turning around and regarding us the same way he always has. I think everyone has a 'work persona' and a 'home persona' being seeing Dan being so obvious about what he wants to push forward as his work persona to strangers while knowing we can actually still full on see it is fascinating. I'm talking things like when he implies that people were shocked when he came out (his audience absolutely wasn't) as gay OR as depressed, saying his audience is unfortunately straight (the majority if his youtube subs, sure; his ACTIVE audience, no), and just a handful of other white lies and half-truths that make me feel like I'm doing an anthropological study on Dan's brain to watch unfold. It's just rare you get to see someone go so hard so publicly on revisionist history when you actually know some of the truths, but that's always been Dan and Phil's method (for absolutely understandable reasons) and it seems very normalized to Dan at this point.
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:32 pm
(Or these were all chosen by a publishing house marketing team who just went 'host is gay? dan's gay. book him." "host talks about depression? dan talks about depression. book him." etc).
I guess we'll never know, my thought process was between Dan's control tendencies and the fact he has ITF AND that new PR agency Dawbwell (that Phil doesn't have) kinda makes sense. Dawbell do seem to be there for people who want to pivot career, Dianne from strictly to influencer, Joe from influencer to dancer etc. The fact that they have a crisis management team which some of my clients have only ever had to use when they did some mad shit (a crisis management team not dawbell necessarily - yes some of my clients are messy af but that's not my fault I just deal with their assets) so they seem fairly legit.

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:32 pm It also makes me think of conversations I've had recently with people about how Dan is definitely, knowingly painting his audience one way toward people who aren't familiar with the audience and then turning around and regarding us the same way he always has. I think everyone has a 'work persona' and a 'home persona' being seeing Dan being so obvious about what he wants to push forward as his work persona to strangers while knowing we can actually still full on see it is fascinating. I'm talking things like when he implies that people were shocked when he came out (his audience absolutely wasn't) as gay OR as depressed, saying his audience is unfortunately straight (the majority if his youtube subs, sure; his ACTIVE audience, no), and just a handful of other white lies and half-truths that make me feel like I'm doing an anthropological study on Dan's brain to watch unfold. It's just rare you get to see someone go so hard so publicly on revisionist history when you actually know some of the truths, but that's always been Dan and Phil's method (for absolutely understandable reasons) and it seems very normalized to Dan at this point.
I agree. A work and home persona is fine. But most people's is just a more PG version of them vs home. Not a lamination of their life history.

I agree, his active audience are not a huge percentage straight people, and from SO many comments he got I think he gets it now. Sure some of his audience are straight BUT if they follow him, they must support LGBTQ+ like me so what would it matter anyway? I'm in a straight marriage. I still support anyone and everyone. And representation is good. As much as people like need representation to see it and think 'wow...that me' straight people need to see it to think 'ok that's normal'.
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

kavat
pastel persona

Now to the more important discussion: Is Phil wearing a t-shirt with the sleeve rolled up or is he in the tank top we saw Dan in last year?
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

kavat wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:34 pm Now to the more important discussion: Is Phil wearing a t-shirt with the sleeve rolled up or is he in the tank top we saw Dan in last year?
I've seen points for both tank top and tshirt and I am undecided but still curious. Do you have a pic of the Dan one you're thinking of?
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Phil followed a fancy cake decorator on ig. I wonder if he's been looking for a special cake for a certain someone's milestone bday that's coming up.
shan
morning quiff

anna_begins wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:44 am Phil followed a fancy cake decorator on ig. I wonder if he's been looking for a special cake for a certain someone's milestone bday that's coming up.
Could be! I wonder if it's someone they know? There's no online store and the only saved story on their profile is a birthday cake for Cornelia.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Dan putting his signature slightly-icky twist on a relatable tweet:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Dan also gave a little more info today on the youtube Pride project... I like how this time he's putting it out up front that yes there's something coming but HE doesn't know when. (As I suspect with a lot of podcasts - he doesn't post their out because he doesn't know.)
And an update on his vaccine status:
Levitating
#relatable

I wonder how and why they are receiving Moderna? The common ones have been Astrazeneca and Pfizer here in London. Is it because they are going private? :shrug:

Also, I suppose Phil delayed getting his vaccine because 33+ years old have been able to get their vaccination for a long time now. They've recently started with 30 y.o.
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

Can't say I was expecting Will Young in Dan's hour but there you go :shrug:
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

Levitating wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:40 am I wonder how and why they are receiving Moderna? The common ones have been Astrazeneca and Pfizer here in London. Is it because they are going private? :shrug:

Also, I suppose Phil delayed getting his vaccine because 33+ years old have been able to get their vaccination for a long time now. They've recently started with 30 y.o.
AstraZeneca recently stopped being given to people under 40 in the UK (back in May) so they are giving only Pfizer and now moderna to those groups. I wonder if Phil might have made his appointment a while ago before Dan’s age group was eligible, perhaps.
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
shan
morning quiff

fruitcriminals wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:46 am
Can't say I was expecting Will Young in Dan's hour but there you go :shrug:
Is he a controversial figure or something? I have no idea who he is aside from a quick look at his wiki. Apparently he's recently talked about the trauma he has surrounding his time in prep school so maybe that's why he's involved?
starsandshards
living flop

madzilla84 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:25 am
Levitating wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:40 am I wonder how and why they are receiving Moderna? The common ones have been Astrazeneca and Pfizer here in London. Is it because they are going private? :shrug:

AstraZeneca recently stopped being given to people under 40 in the UK (back in May) so they are giving only Pfizer and now moderna to those groups. I wonder if Phil might have made his appointment a while ago before Dan’s age group was eligible, perhaps.
I'm the same age as Phil and I got AZ both times, even after the guidance came out :facepalm2: but I seem fine. I hope his side effects are minimal! My first jab was the worst.
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

FFS Philly.

@Shan - nothing against will young, I just haven't heard his name for about 10 years so I had no idea he was even still famous!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:58 pm
Wow a blast from the past! They've both changed so much I wonder how a collab in 2021 would look like
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
Levitating
#relatable

I don't know much what's going on with Tyler, but he seemed to be in a bad place mentally or perhaps socially? Has he been doing okay for himself?

Also, what do you think: is Phil going to be there? I bet yes but...!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Levitating wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:14 pm I don't know much what's going on with Tyler, but he seemed to be in a bad place mentally or perhaps socially? Has he been doing okay for himself?

Also, what do you think: is Phil going to be there? I bet yes but...!
I haven't heard anything that indicated Tyler wasn't doing well? He just seems to have switched his focus from youtube to Twitch, where he's active daily.