Dan & Phil Part 101: Gays In The Wild

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Levitating
#relatable

LAshleigh wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:19 am The idea of Dan (or Phil) looking for a relationship outside of each other always makes me laugh a little. Like "Oh, who's that guy? Yeah he's my ex and best friend of over a decade, we spend every day together, co-own a house, hundreds of thousands of people ship us together and we haven't denied that we're together in years. I publicly called him my soulmate a few years ago and will probably never even mention you. But no, no reason to be threatened by him."

That though comes exactly from a traditional concept of relationship - the idea that all those things must mean something to be threaten by.
So I notice a sort of dissonance between saying that they are oh so modern by being so open with expressing sexual desire outside of the relationship just for attentions' sake and, to the other side, saying that yet they are traditional in the structure of their relationship as living together/co-own a house must mean there is a romantic sexual monogamous relationship behind it.

While, because of how 'modern'* they are, we cannot assume they fit in those traditional labels, nor for the relationship, nor for how they prefer to move within the sexual sphere. To me Phil seems more traditional, but Dan has definitely explored more and said so.
shan
morning quiff

The fact that they live together/own a house together is hardly the only reason people believe they are most likely in a monogamous relationship. There have been plenty of other points made both in this conversation as well as in previous conversations that don't involve the house. People thought they were together before they ever moved into their first flat in Manchester.

I also don't think it's particularly modern to want to be desired, even when in a relationship. Social media has changed how it's done but it's certainly nothing new. I personally hate that kind of attention for me but I can understand other people tend to view it as a confidence boost. If a friend posts a sexy pic on social media my first thought isn't to doubt the strength of their relationship, especially when their partner is most likely the one who snapped the photo.
Levitating
#relatable

shan wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:12 am. There have been plenty of other points made both in this conversation as well as in previous conversations that don't involve the house. People thought they were together before they ever moved into their first flat in Manchester.
Can I ask you which ones? I am not sure I see them ;_; If it's about Dan saying how he stopped interactions because he did not have some things to offer, then that opens the conversation between whom to believe: Dan there or Dan when he tweets/says certain things? Which then leads to see the separation between real Dan (who offers only friendship) and persona Dan (who carter his tweets/jokes to a public that's different from us). And still there's this thing of him being sincere through jokes as throughout these years about his depression.

People thinking they are a couple is a separate thing from them actually being together in a 'traditional' relationship.
I also put modern between quotes because it is a strange definition, but one we have used to differentiate it from old patriarch values (one where you are suppose to not exists as a social being outside of the relationship).

( also, once again: lovely to be able to have these conversation with this respectful atmosphere where things are understood not to be personal! <3 )
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual
Pronouns: she/her

Levitating wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:44 am
shan wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:12 am. There have been plenty of other points made both in this conversation as well as in previous conversations that don't involve the house. People thought they were together before they ever moved into their first flat in Manchester.
Can I ask you which ones? I am not sure I see them ;_; If it's about Dan saying how he stopped interactions because he did not have some things to offer, then that opens the conversation between whom to believe: Dan there or Dan when he tweets/says certain things? Which then leads to see the separation between real Dan (who offers only friendship) and persona Dan (who carter his tweets/jokes to a public that's different from us). And still there's this thing of him being sincere through jokes as throughout these years about his depression.

People thinking they are a couple is a separate thing from them actually being together in a 'traditional' relationship.
I also put modern between quotes because it is a strange definition, but one we have used to differentiate it from old patriarch values (one where you are suppose to not exists as a social being outside of the relationship).
I'm someone who tends to go back to the text, and in the case of Dan, the master text is of course BIG.

Dan's own words on his relationship with Phil [at 22:15]:
This was when, through the magic of the internet, I met Phil.

Obviously, we were more than friends, but it was more than just romantic. This is someone that genuinely liked me. I trusted them, and for the first time since I was a tiny child, I actually felt safe.

The relationship that we formed, at that point, was something that I needed in my life. We are real best friends. Companions through life. Like, actual soulmates. (Not that souls are a real thing that exists.)

It’s so lucky to just find someone that you can be that compatible with. Especially to anyone that has experienced the kind of self hatred that I have dealt with. One person accepting you can make all the difference.

I bet so many people want to know so much more about that, which honestly, I take as a compliment. But here’s the thing; I’m somebody that wants to keep the details of my personal life private. So is Phil.
As for Dan's thirsty/sexual tweets, I think he just wants attention, not a hookup. As others have said, these days he specificly wants attention for the fact that he is a sexual being who likes sex with men. Dan is an internet persona, so representing himself on social media is his job, and this is what he wants to represent. When Dan says [BIG 28:54] (definitely worth watching this one for the nonverbal nuance):
Well, it’s always been on my mind that I need to talk about this at some point. I couldn’t just keep going forward in my life ignoring it, not only just so I can be authentic, which is very important for general existing, but also just letting people know what kind of sexual attention I want from the world. All of it. From everyone. God, I’m so thirsty!
it sounds to me that the truth buried in the joke is wanting attention, not wanting sex. In the context of a video about being gay, it doesn't really make sense to state you want every kind of sexual attention from every kind of person. But wanting "everyone" to pay attention to you and what you're saying--sure.
( also, once again: lovely to be able to have these conversation with this respectful atmosphere where things are understood not to be personal! <3 )
As a long-time forum member, I appreciate your contributions to the conversation and the atmosphere! :lilheart:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
kavat
pastel persona

While we wait for the next Phil vid to drop I did some timestamps for the last one.

0:00 No "Hey guys"? I feel betrayed. He says he's not one to squirrel through his indirects which I very much appreciate, thank you for letting us be clowns in (semi) private
0:23 Nervous boob grab, relatable
0:35 First outfit, ladybird sweater. Personally I love it and I wish he had worn it more. Sadly it went to a charity shop.
0:55 Sleeveless flannel. It was picked by viewers so he is not to blame.
1:06 Classic gray owl jumper. Unintentional eye boobs. It has been yeeted.
1:18 Red-ish tie dye/dip dye jumper. "Babe you looked like a tampon". I have 0 memory of this shirt but it's apparently still in the rotation.
1:30 Silver 1/4 zip short sleeve from his quiff debut. He still has a thing for shiny things like a magpie.
1:53 Phil outs himself as a robot furry. I think I've read that fic.
2:01 Avengers icons t-shirt.
2:08 ~ad break for square enix~
2:28 "You can just hang out with all the Guardians of the Galaxy! I mean I've got Dan, but he's no Groot."
2:45 Shot of the Final Fantasy shrine in the new home
3:07 Back to the roasting, old school uni Phil in red zipper and loose jeans. He threatens to shove some geese up in there, please don't.
3.14 Harry Styles cosplay from VPMO2. Incredibly see-through trousers.
3:22 Gray t-shirt with vague tribal pattern from radio1 days.
3:37 Long haired Phil in a black and white star t-shirt.
3:41 Another old school argyle sweater with a shirt under? It's very Gretchen Wieners.
3:54 Young Phil flashing his abs in a gray button up. CK underwear peeking out. Classic.
4:06 Long shorts or short trousers? Who can tell!
4:19 Jorts. I think jean shorts are fine, but maybe not those ones.
4:25 Phil phlashes his thighs in the shorts he's wearing today. The gray flannel ones, you know the ones. You know.
4:33 Illuminati t-shirt x2. Pretty sure he had another one as well. That was a choice.
4:39 Plaid jumper with the white shoulders. A constant divider. I personally love it and think it looks great on him.
4:45 Gray flannel shorts again. There is nothing suspicious about that picture at all.
4:51 Satin bomber jacket. That was such a big trend for a while. I had two. It was cute when they wore matching ones to that event.
5:09 Pizza t-shirt. It looks so gross. I never want pizza again after seeing that shirt. And let's not even talk about the butt hat.
5:20 Baby Phil in corduroy dungarees and a knitted polo shirt. Maybe the best look of them all.
5:32 Uni Phil in a sleeveless t-shirt with a ~cool~ graphic print. Just awful.
5:36 Purple hoodie and purple knitted hat. He apologizes to The Gays for his bad fashion sense.
5:55 Worst from the twitter poll.
#38 Wolves jumper, he wore it for the first radio show and just gives him anxiety.
#36 Tabinof cover t-shirt. It's very 2014.
#34 Red white and blue star shirt.
6:31 Top 10 from the twitter poll.
#10 Good vibes shirt. It's now a crop top but don't be scared Phil, we'd love to see it.
#9 Red jacket. He suits bright red so well. Very II era.
#8 Bright future. He does like a phrase on a shirt.
#7 Blue jacket/Katamari hoodie. He only wears that hoodie when he's ill which is a shame because it's such a good color on him.
#6 Red flannel shirt. He feels confident in it which we love.
#5 Vibes. Lots of gay vibes all around.
#4 Blue/purple hoodie. I was so close to buying this for myself. I love it.
#Tree The boyfriend jacket. He doesn't know who owned it first. Iconic. Beautiful. Gorgeous.
#2 Purple striped jumper. She has a special place in my heart. Almost bought this one too. Great color on him.
#1 Blue denim jacket. It's a safe choice but a good one. He feels confident in it (again, love that for him).
8:52 The worst outfit of all time according to his mentions. It's the Teen Awards "suit". Truly awful. He admits to not know how to dress for anything formal which uh, I have to agree. He should just invest in a jazzy purple suit and wear that to everything.
9:41 "These pictures haunt me" because someone made unofficial cardboard cutout of him in that outfit. Pretty sure Marcus Butler had one in his house at some point.
10:15 Many points were valid but clothing is subjective - A motivational speech by Phil followed by regular outro.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

ok I'm copying myself because I posted this on tumblr the other day, I've just been thinking a lot about Dan and Phil in the pre-joint-branding era.

remember when dan and phil went to new york in 2013 and they did all these touristy things in front of a camera and filmed some stuff for fuse? still in the very new phase of being ‘famous’ (the challenge where they saw how long it took to be recognized? they were having fun with it but still with their young nervous edge of discomfort)

but i wonder how much time they had to themselves on that trip, just the two of them, hanging out with john. if they hung out in john’s apartment drinking late at night and gravitating closer to each other since they were with someone they felt comfortable with and had known them since the very beginning (on multiple levels) and what kind of stuff they talked about. the future? the past? did dan feel nervous and jealous of john having known phil for so long, before him?

and that helicopter trip and the picture after with dan and phil beside each other and their arms around each other - it’s an objectively silly photo but also we STILL never get photos of them standing like that so it feels like… something. like something of them in a time when ‘them’ was a nebulous concept they were still hammering out (before the gaming channel, before books, the vday video leak still looming as recent history for them).

i hope that trip was good for them and they had many stolen moments just the two of them with no watching eyes or cameras around.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

alittledizzy,

that post makes me think in general about adult friendship, and how much of a goal that might be for DnP to cultivate that for themselves, together and separately. I mean, I know they have friends, but I wonder how actively that might be a goal for them now or in the future, to expand that circle. I know I've gone though various friendship cycles as an adult, where some friendships fade away and are replaced by new people, but it seems like every few years my friend circle shrinks through things like people moving away or changing jobs or getting married or something going wrong in our relationship. In the past, I've been the more passive person in friendships, with me waiting for other people to initiate the shift from acquaintance to friend or to plan activities, but I've been thinking lately about taking more initiative in friendships (the pandemic makes this harder) by reaching out to people I've lost contact with or being the one to plan outings and finding people to invite.

Like, I'm curious if there are people DnP might consider trying to deepen a friendship with or if they might eventually use their new house as a place to host people and events.

I find friendships so vital in being able to express various aspects of myself and my interests, and they are currently my primary relationships, but for me at least, they take a lot of thought and work to retain and maintain.

(also I am getting deja-vu, so if I've posted this exact post before with these exact thoughts, forgive me!)
kavat
pastel persona

Adult friendships are hard for anyone, but add the layer of fame and fandom and it must be really difficult. We know of some of their friends (Ian + family, Adam, Briony, M&C etc) but I hope they have some other creator friends that they are relatively close with to share some of the very unique troubles that come with being an online celebrity. I don't think they are that close with Louise these days, but maybe Safiya & Tyler could be that, or Tyler Oakley.

Anyway, because I'm the self proclaimed IDB home decor detective, here's what's on the shelf:
Menu Carrie LED lamp
Tom Dixon Elements Gift set
shan
morning quiff

kavat wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:47 pm Adult friendships are hard for anyone, but add the layer of fame and fandom and it must be really difficult. We know of some of their friends (Ian + family, Adam, Briony, M&C etc) but I hope they have some other creator friends that they are relatively close with to share some of the very unique troubles that come with being an online celebrity. I don't think they are that close with Louise these days, but maybe Safiya & Tyler could be that, or Tyler Oakley.

Anyway, because I'm the self proclaimed IDB home decor detective, here's what's on the shelf:
Menu Carrie LED lamp
Tom Dixon Elements Gift set
I can't even begin to imagine how you navigate making friends as an adult with any level of fame behind you. Surely you must be so on edge not knowing what people's motives are if they try to reach out to you, even other creators. And if you reach out to someone else but you misjudged them, you could have all kinds of private info out there for everyone to see. It must be so lonely and isolating but at least they have each other!

Are we thinking this room is the office? Those candles look almost as small as tea lights! I aspire to one day also have enough disposable income to throw at horrifically expensive candles.
Levitating
#relatable

Is that true? I've seen PJ's pronouns on Twitter, but couldn't find anything for Chris.
It's so nice and incredible and comforting the idea that they attracted each other?
They did not know at the time (within themselves too) yet they managed to found and befriend other queer people!
sarmstr2
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Levitating wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:03 am

Is that true? I've seen PJ's pronouns on Twitter, but couldn't find anything for Chris.
It's so nice and incredible and comforting the idea that they attracted each other?
They did not know at the time (within themselves too) yet they managed to found and befriend other queer people!
Someone asked PJ on stream a few months ago about his preferred pronouns and he said that he was still reflecting and wasn't ready to make any statements. He quietly added Him/They on twitter about a month later but hasn't said anything directly.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Megancita75 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:01 pm alittledizzy,

that post makes me think in general about adult friendship, and how much of a goal that might be for DnP to cultivate that for themselves, together and separately. I mean, I know they have friends, but I wonder how actively that might be a goal for them now or in the future, to expand that circle. I know I've gone though various friendship cycles as an adult, where some friendships fade away and are replaced by new people, but it seems like every few years my friend circle shrinks through things like people moving away or changing jobs or getting married or something going wrong in our relationship. In the past, I've been the more passive person in friendships, with me waiting for other people to initiate the shift from acquaintance to friend or to plan activities, but I've been thinking lately about taking more initiative in friendships (the pandemic makes this harder) by reaching out to people I've lost contact with or being the one to plan outings and finding people to invite.

Like, I'm curious if there are people DnP might consider trying to deepen a friendship with or if they might eventually use their new house as a place to host people and events.

I find friendships so vital in being able to express various aspects of myself and my interests, and they are currently my primary relationships, but for me at least, they take a lot of thought and work to retain and maintain.

(also I am getting deja-vu, so if I've posted this exact post before with these exact thoughts, forgive me!)
You are totally right and I feel like that might have even been part of what Phil was talking about in project sphere, though long-term project sphere on a social level must have been back burnered because of lockdowns. It is interesting that Dan and Phil's friendship circle doesn't seem to have grown much but also doesn't seem to have shrunk much? The same people they were close to five years ago they appear to still be pretty close to - as kavat says in the post I'm going to quote next, M&C, Adam, Bryony, Ian.

Dan also does have his GW friends and frankly I'm very glad he does. It must have been very nice for him to have that social outlet throughout the years when making real life friends seemed more daunting.
kavat wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:47 pm Adult friendships are hard for anyone, but add the layer of fame and fandom and it must be really difficult. We know of some of their friends (Ian + family, Adam, Briony, M&C etc) but I hope they have some other creator friends that they are relatively close with to share some of the very unique troubles that come with being an online celebrity. I don't think they are that close with Louise these days, but maybe Safiya & Tyler could be that, or Tyler Oakley.
It must have been particularly hard for Dan to want to reach out and make these professional connections but not trust it particularly because they were professional. Tyler, Troye, Connor - I can imagine him viewing their period of youtube activity with some level of yearning. (Even though in reality I don't think he'd have fit there at all. But sometimes FOMO doesn't care what the reality would actually be, y'know?)

I am glad that they've manage to hold onto some of the friends that have known them since the start, like Ian and Adam and Bryony. I think part of that must be a testament to how close Phil holds people that he values. He seems to be the one to go the extra mile to reconnect when Dan might let his anxieties get the better of him and let friendships fade.

I think Dan and Abi Thorn might have good friendship potential too, we do know they hung out at least once irl pre-Covid.

Yes, Chris has been out as bi for years - long before Dan and Phil were out! I think the first mention of it online was during his 25 Facts About Me in 2015, it's his second answer.

Levitating
#relatable

This makes me further see why Dan did not want to be associated with Tyler too much: it would have validated the theories about his sexuality even more!
(just because it is easier for people to think that if you hang out around gays, then you are gay)

It's nice to see that PJ was able to open himself up to this side of the rainbow!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I've never watched this movie so I don't get the reference but I'm also too afraid to ask because I feel like it would increase my headache so uhh... enjoy?
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

piano man dan :loveeyes:
and a phil tweet
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Nice to hear some music, but the reversed piano makes me itch!
"Why am I left-handed?"
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

Here I am once again wondering to myself if Dan has some short pair of black shorts, black and white striped trousers, or if he's straight up sat at the piano in his pants lmao.

Regardless, it's great to get a piano story at the new piano!! and he definitely seems like he's been practicing, I wonder if spending a bunch of money on an expensive piano is enough to motivate yourself to practice more. (rest assured, I am a sensible person and will NOT be trying this technique, plus I definitely don't have the money to begin with)
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Hector went and made Phil's tweet SAD.
snoopysadie
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

i don't know if anyone else has had this experience but i've always found it hilarious that most people i know that are not straight have a circle of friends that is mostly not straight. and idk what it is but it's so funny how queer people actually attract each other. i remember being young and coming out to the 3 people that i KNEW if i told i thought i was bi they were going to say "me too". but we had never talked about it before and it wasn't really discussed at all at the time. like, i remember hearing the word lesbian on Scott Pilgrim Vs the World and being #shook (lol) and at the same time I knew i could come out to some friends because i felt they were in the same boat. how do we know without knowing ?

moving on to sth else: i tried to google the picture from the helicopter trip and i couldn't find it :( and i feel like i need it so if it doesn't breach any implicit privacy rules (idk in which context it was taken) and someone wants to share, that'd be great.

dan's story T_T if i could ask dan for something it would be an hour long liveshow of him playing the piano. anything he wanted, mistakes included. it's so relaxing!
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
kavat
pastel persona

I wonder if he actually gets piano lessons or if he still just practice by himself. I remember seeing a book of sheet music in the old place that a fan gave him which is so sweet, but I wonder how else he learns. Please Dan, talk to us about your piano playing!!
dontpanic
#relatable

lefthandedism wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:50 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:05 pm A message from Dan in a merch email to let people know signed books are back.
Dan wrote:I've been trying to vibe peacefully around dozens of builders who are still somehow finishing things in my new place. They collectively refer to me as 'the boy' and I can't decide how I feel about that as I'm probably older than half of them and it feels vaguely similar to the plot of something I saw on a website once, but this is my life for the next few weeks.

- Dan
This is Dan content I like. Love the wink at a certain website that hosts all sorts of plots involving Dan!
Lol true… The least subtle wink ever 😉

Him being referred to as “the boy” reminds me of that time he and Phil went to a bar and the bartender asked Phil if “his son” was old enough to drink :lol: :lol:
dontpanic
#relatable

shan wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:24 pm I don’t have much to add because this isn’t a conversation I enjoy but I have strong doubts that 140-character Dan once every few weeks is more authentic than an hour twice a week Dan we got for several months but that’s just me.

Dan stating in his book that he was ghosted by a bunch of people when he reached out to them because the only thing he was offering was friendship also isn’t very fitting with the horny jokes Dan makes being genuine. If thinking they aren't together makes some people happy, that's fine! But acting like people who think they are together are the illogical ones is a bit of a stretch.
I’m sorry if this has already been heavily discussed, I haven’t visited IDB for over a month, but would you (or anyone) mind expanding on this a bit more? Like, why was he ghosted, like what was the context?

Sorry for double posting, trying to catch up on the thread :oops:
shan
morning quiff

dontpanic wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:22 pm
shan wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:24 pm I don’t have much to add because this isn’t a conversation I enjoy but I have strong doubts that 140-character Dan once every few weeks is more authentic than an hour twice a week Dan we got for several months but that’s just me.

Dan stating in his book that he was ghosted by a bunch of people when he reached out to them because the only thing he was offering was friendship also isn’t very fitting with the horny jokes Dan makes being genuine. If thinking they aren't together makes some people happy, that's fine! But acting like people who think they are together are the illogical ones is a bit of a stretch.
I’m sorry if this has already been heavily discussed, I haven’t visited IDB for over a month, but would you (or anyone) mind expanding on this a bit more? Like, why was he ghosted, like what was the context?

Sure! I don't have access to my physical copy atm but I quickly typed out the full quote from the audiobook:
When I started making a conscious effort to fix my friendzone I reached out to other performers I admired and even total strangers in some video games I played. It wasn’t all a success; I was left on read a lot to which others tried to tell me they were probably just busy, but I knew the truth. Not naming names but a few figures clearly wanted to dive into something other than light conversation and were suddenly less interested when mutual interests were the only thing I spread on the table.
The context was how different relationships impact your mental health and making sure the people you have as friends or part of your 'inner circle' etc. aren't detrimental to it. The last part always felt a bit unnecessary to me and like he only included it to subtly make the point that he's not available, at least that's how it came across to me!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

shan wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:06 pm

Sure! I don't have access to my physical copy atm but I quickly typed out the full quote from the audiobook:
When I started making a conscious effort to fix my friendzone I reached out to other performers I admired and even total strangers in some video games I played. It wasn’t all a success; I was left on read a lot to which others tried to tell me they were probably just busy, but I knew the truth. Not naming names but a few figures clearly wanted to dive into something other than light conversation and were suddenly less interested when mutual interests were the only thing I spread on the table.
The context was how different relationships impact your mental health and making sure the people you have as friends or part of your 'inner circle' etc. aren't detrimental to it. The last part always felt a bit unnecessary to me and like he only included it to subtly make the point that he's not available, at least that's how it came across to me!
That's absolutely how I read that bit too. He was fairly pointed in making sure he added that he wasn't interested in anything besides friendship from people he reached out to.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:19 pm
shan wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:06 pm

That's absolutely how I read that bit too. He was fairly pointed in making sure he added that he wasn't interested in anything besides friendship from people he reached out to.
I don't disagree, but I read that as more generally not wanting to be hit on by someone you've reached out to as a friend. I imagine Dan's had his fair share of getting hit on.
"Why am I left-handed?"