Dan & Phil Part 101: Gays In The Wild

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
shan
morning quiff

While we're still waiting on Phil to post his new vid, I have a follow up to the gaming channel question:

If you could have DnP stream one game that they haven't already, what would you choose?
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

shan wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:40 am While we're still waiting on Phil to post his new vid, I have a follow up to the gaming channel question:

If you could have DnP stream one game that they haven't already, what would you choose?
This is completely random and I think the game is old now (idk if there's a new one) but I would love to watch deppy play something like Yoshi's Wooly World, especially on stream (no censoring for Phil when he gets to into the game and forgets not to swear). Idk anything cute with collaborative vibes.

Actually I watched a few people play It Takes Two recently, and it made me think it would be an interesting game for them to play. It's fantastic coop gameplay but unfortunately long af and the story is... excruciating.. in some places. But it would be funny to see them play the characters trying to repair their marriage by solving puzzles together lol.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

shan wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:40 am While we're still waiting on Phil to post his new vid, I have a follow up to the gaming channel question:

I would have loved to see them play Among us, especially during the hype of last fall. We got to see a little bit of Phil playing with Arden & Will but I would love to see more of it. I think they've talked about playing Maffia with friends, and Phil can be such a snek that I think it would have been really fun.
shan
morning quiff

inanerat wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:56 am This is completely random and I think the game is old now (idk if there's a new one) but I would love to watch deppy play something like Yoshi's Wooly World, especially on stream (no censoring for Phil when he gets to into the game and forgets not to swear). Idk anything cute with collaborative vibes.

Actually I watched a few people play It Takes Two recently, and it made me think it would be an interesting game for them to play. It's fantastic coop gameplay but unfortunately long af and the story is... excruciating.. in some places. But it would be funny to see them play the characters trying to repair their marriage by solving puzzles together lol.
Oooh yes! I'd love it if they'd play through a full Nintendo game. 20-30 hours of screeching is the dream! The new Super Mario 3D World has some good potential for dramatic meltdowns. I've not heard of It Takes Two but it sounds like an... interesting premise for a puzzle game!
kavat wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:08 am I would have loved to see them play Among us, especially during the hype of last fall. We got to see a little bit of Phil playing with Arden & Will but I would love to see more of it. I think they've talked about playing Maffia with friends, and Phil can be such a snek that I think it would have been really fun.
I love that we at least got to see Phil play a bit but can you imagine if they both played with friends and streamed separately? The potential content from that would be so good. DnP imposter duo, Phil as imposter killing Dan immediately. Such a missed opportunity but they were always super late to play games on the channel so maybe there's still a chance :lol:
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

I wanna see them play New Pokemon Snap, but probably only because I want everything in life to be replaced with New Pokemon Snap.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

DnP adjacent, but in Cornelia's recent Insta story she talks about how British child care is ten times more expensive than in Sweden. I'm American, and I just sort of assumed that child care in the UK was a better deal than it is in America and was subsidized in some way. At least in America, most people pay out of pocket for day care for young children, though there are some subsidized or free programs based on income. Is that the case in the UK as well?

(Edited to add: now I'm getting a sense of deja vu, and maybe we already talked about this topic before; sorry if it's a retread!)
phancon
delia smith

Megancita75 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:40 pm DnP adjacent, but in Cornelia's recent Insta story she talks about how British child care is ten times more expensive than in Sweden. I'm American, and I just sort of assumed that child care in the UK was a better deal than it is in America and was subsidized in some way. At least in America, most people pay out of pocket for day care for young children, though there are some subsidized or free programs based on income. Is that the case in the UK as well?

(Edited to add: now I'm getting a sense of deja vu, and maybe we already talked about this topic before; sorry if it's a retread!)
I admittedly am not a parent, but afaik you can get 30 hours free childcare when your child turns 3. Before that, there is some scheme if you earn a certain amount where you can get 15 hours I think? I believe that's just for 2 year olds though. Before that, you might have to pay out of pocket.

I might be wrong though. :?
phancon
delia smith

I'd love for them to play a story based game like the walking dead game or the last of us, mainly just because I'd like to see them get attached to a pseudo video game daughter ngl.
tinnie
delia smith

A random choice but I recently watched an older 6 hour long stream of two guys playing Super Bunny Man and I haven't cry laughed like that in a long while. It's a frustrating co-op game that would probably end in a lot of screaming. Perfect for Dan and Phil.

Anyway, I came here to share a silly D&P dream I had last night. As most dreams, the story barely hold together but bear with me. It started with me being outside somewhere and Phil was there as well and I think we talked about something related to Nintendo Switch. And after that we went to visit Dan, who had a baby! I think dream me was confused how he got the baby and then I learned that the baby's name was Brownie and for some reason dream me thought Dan's surname was Brown (I've never read any Dan Brown books so idk what happened here) so his son's name was Brownie Brown :rofl: And to add to the confusion of the dream, half of me felt like I was there with them in person, another half felt like I was watching this baby revelation as a video and couldn't wait to come here to read what you guys are saying about it.

I wasn't even looking at any Dan & Phil stuff yesterday, so idk how these guys managed to sneak into my dreams again.
shan
morning quiff

New theory: Dan answered Phil's insta story with "I assume you'll say yes to marrying me" and now they're off being all lovey and cute in private and that's why Phil's taking so long with the video. Gotta get ready for 2022 ya know?
Levitating
#relatable

Okay, how many chances are there that they could actually do something about 2022? Gosh, it's so close!

It would definitely be a nod to us old phannies, who have been kind of "left behind" in terms of the target group they've (dan) been addressing in their latest projects?
shan
morning quiff

Levitating wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:12 am Okay, how many chances are there that they could actually do something about 2022? Gosh, it's so close!

It would definitely be a nod to us old phannies, who have been kind of "left behind" in terms of the target group they've (dan) been addressing in their latest projects?
In all seriousness, I don't think the 2022 moment is something that dnp would look back on fondly. It happened in 2013 when they were still very, very closeted publicly. From what I've seen/read, things were also still pretty tense re: anything 'phan' at that point so having a friend drop that in as a joke in an incredibly public situation would have been uncomfy at best. I mean, just look at Phil's face in that video! It's just an in joke followers use and it's mostly kept separate from dnp. I could be wrong but I can't think of any times they've actually referenced it themselves and I'd be very surprised if they did say or do anything about it next year.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

I think 2022 is the one year they absolutely will not get married. (Just like they never reference October 19 or Valentine's Day.)

But, hey, we're ready with the 2022 emoji!
:2022:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Phil gave a members update and he’s 99% sure we’ll have the new video tomorrow
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I'm so ready the get fed by Phil again. I've missed him.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I like.... genuinely miss these guys at this point. I need conteeentttt.

:wahh:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I'm waiting for that new Phil video like a starving stray cat, already fearing a new month of emptiness that will come after watching it and he disappears again. Deppy barely even put out snacks in between meals like (actually intersting) tweets and stories for us anymore. What am I supposed to do? I can't hunt and catch my own content!
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
adorally
phillion/danosaur <//3

Guys we just have to complain and boom Phil's vid will pop up!! (inspired by some D&P vid from the past)
:straggy: :betta: :maskup:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

It's finally here! :stan:

Have an outdated meme to celebrate finally getting fed:

Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

Nice video, watching it for a second time right now. Highlights include secret wife, medical update, (new?) apartment photo and talk about Dan aquascaping
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Timestamps! Which I really enjoyed doing to wrap my mind around some parts of the video. Definitely a longer post coming soon.

:42 - You have a secret wife.
Yes. Her name is Lorraine and she has firm boobs. (Wow, can’t believe Janice and Sabrina are both out of the picture. How much alimony is that man paying?)

:55 - You haven’t been to a gay club since coming out.
Correct. He doesn’t like clubs because he doesn’t like dancing. He prefers gay bars or gay video game nights. Or a gay safari.

1:25 - You see a therapist.
He does not, but Dan really thinks he should for his anxiety.

1:44 - You don’t edit your videos.
He does because he’s a control freak, but if he did he could make more videos so he might.

2:08 - A little behind the scenes verbal fumbling
2:20 - Editing Phil.

2:29 - You read your indirects.
He doesn’t, but he takes a peek while answering and calls Thomas Sanders sexy.

2:50 - You’ve had something going on off-camera that you have not talked to us about.
Yes. All year he’s been dealing with a “strange form of dizziness” that goes from very bad to slightly like on a boat. Today is an on a boat day. He’s had five scans and they think it’s something about a compressed nerve throwing off his balance. They’ve been finding ways for his nerves to chill out and he isn’t on the sofa 50% of the time. He also had the entire back of his head numbed but it has helped. Not fully to the bottom of it yet, but he feels more himself now thn he was.

3:45 - You made something a very bright color in the new house.
He chose a bright green color for the sofa (in what I assume is their cozy lounge/gaming area?)

3:58 - You’re platinum rank in Apex Legends.
He plays for an hour every day but he’s still bad. He once got to gold (and shows his character page).

4:06 - You have another fish but haven’t told us as Norman can’t be replaced.
Fishspiracy. There is no secret fish, but Dan has the pretentious hobby of aquascaping which means making and looking at fish takes. He is currently making a fish tank at the moment but there won’t be another fish until Dan finishes crafting the tank.

4:41 - You are a Disney gay.
He is not. He likes Disney but he wasn’t brought up with it.

4:51 - Your parents both speak like the queen.
His mum is very Northern and his dad is from the south. Now living in London he sounds more like his dad.

5:10 - You dress your top half first.
He emphatically says no because what if there was a fire and you ran out with your ass hanging out.

5:21 - I feel like you’re a Niall girl.
Harry was nicest to him when they met so that stuck with him. Harry was his fave.

5:34 - You probably say yello when answering the phone.
“You assume I answer the phone? Do you even know who I am?”

5:40 - You’re the person who makes others feel comfortable at a gathering or party by either talking or engaging.
He thinks he does that out of awkwardness for himself. If he senses someone else feels awkward, he feels awkward and talks. He likes to make people feel included if they seem left out.

5:59 - You were popular in high school.
He was more of an in-betweener that had a mixed group of friends.

6:20 - You’re def the first guy to stand up on a plane when it lands to grab your overhead luggage.
Phil is offended. He’d rather sit and play his Switch until it’s time to go.

6:38 - You’d be a really lovely dog owner. V responsible and kind xxx (from Louise Pentland)
If he did have a little hound, he’d dedicate his entire life to it.

6:53 - You shop at M&S.
He wants to know what that implies, but says he’ll go in there for the Percy Pigs or Santa’s Yumnut. (wtf?)

7:03 Your online persona is not the same as your in person persona.
He seems upset that someone thinks that, but acknowledges a lot of youtubers have a persona. He says people are always shocked he’s so similar to how he is in his videos. If he were pretending he’d have a hard time making videos because it would be draining. In real life he just has a little less energy, no jumputs, and more swearing.

7:38 - Your name is PHILLIP.
He is offended, again. He is a Philip with one l.

7:59 - You have cold, clammy hands.
They are cold but not clammy.

8:06 - Half of the assumptions have been about what you like doing or not with your ass.
“You would be correct.” He wonders why people assume something stereotypically based on people’s personality. He also says the assumptions were about 50/50 in his inbox, and he doesn’t know what that says, but it shouldn’t say anything.

8:20 - You don’t know what a monotreme is.
He does not, and googles it. (It’s an animal.)

8:47 - Editing Phil shows back up to do the ending.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

a wholesome interaction
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Okay now, actual thoughts:

I think the fact that he’s considering an editor is an amazing thing. Particularly if his vertigo is worsened by screens (and I assume it is, most people I know with it say that) then he might have a concrete reason to give up control without it being just a choice he made out of (his self- perceived) laziness or being disingenuous. Franky I’d be very happy if the process of making a video that takes Phil the longest and he probably dreads the most were removed from the equation and he’d make more.

I find it super interesting that he included a question about sexual positions, but his answer was very fair and very Phil. He didn’t spill the tea, just gently scolded the trend of making assumptions on positions based on personality. The fact that it was a 50/50 split though - lmao. Just goes to show how people can interpret the same data set with their own bias and come to wildly different conclusions.

He acknowledges his own anxiety so easily now. It’s such a point of growth for Phil. I’m team everyone could benefit from good therapy (while understanding that finding therapy that is affordable and works for you can be very, very difficult depending on where you are) so I hope Dan nudges him into it.

His online persona is definitely not his real life persona but I also think that Phil addressed the differences while minimizing them. I think the truest elements of himself are static in every aspect of what he does, but I think the Phil that Dan or Bryony or Martyn gets is unguarded in a way we notice Phil rarely is and that guarded version of him gets often read as inauthentic for the sake of content when it’s more like Phil projecting for an audience that is not in his close, comfortable circle. The real issue is that we know what Phil is like when with that inner circle (Dan) and the jump between Phil with Dan and Phil talking to us alone can sometimes feel lackluster because of that exclusion of closeness.

I’m skipping around here, sorry, but backtrack time: His medical situation makes me feel really bad for him and also just reinforces to me that when they aren’t posting much, we really don’t have any fucking idea why most of the time. I’d much rather it be a project he’s about to drop next week, but health is important and I’m sure Dan is shitting himself too - especially if all this went on while they were moving and Dan’s book promo and all that. I don’t know that much about vertigo or how disruptive it can be to life, but having to spend half your time laying down feeling sick sounds pretty miserable. If Phil, who almost never admits anything personal and negative impacting his life unless it’s a years old mention, describes how he feels as “very bad” then I’m inclined to truly believe him. Hopefully whatever head numbing treatment he has going on actually works!
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:25 am His online persona is definitely not his real life persona but I also think that Phil addressed the differences while minimizing them. I think the truest elements of himself are static in every aspect of what he does, but I think the Phil that Dan or Bryony or Martyn gets is unguarded in a way we notice Phil rarely is and that guarded version of him gets often read as inauthentic for the sake of content when it’s more like Phil projecting for an audience that is not in his close, comfortable circle. The real issue is that we know what Phil is like when with that inner circle (Dan) and the jump between Phil with Dan and Phil talking to us alone can sometimes feel lackluster because of that exclusion of closeness.
I agree, and I also believe him when he says that people meeting him see Phil the same as we see him on camera. If I met Phil on the street and went for coffee with him, I would expect to get a similar persona/personality as the one I'm already familiar with, because I think he's probably this guarded and careful in real life as well. For sure he's different with his inner circle, but I think his online persona is authentic in the sense that it's similar to how he would be with real life strangers/acquaintances.
obvsly
#relatable

I must have watched the video half a dozen times now lol I've missed him!! I appreciate the "editing phil" cameo very much. His soft (and slightly more northern?) talk and laid back manner provides quite a bit of a contrast from the high-energy on-camera phil, but not to the point of a different persona, as he stated in the video.

Anyway, i'm gonna be linking to my own tweet as it's so much easier than trying to put a small clip on here. It's one of my favourite bits in the video that no one has mentioned here yet. Under the spoiler! >>>
I certainly didn't expect to be rickrolled lol (sorry about the previous tweet in the same thread, it came with automatically!)