Book Thread

timtam
lady door

Let's discuss books!

What are you reading right now? What are you favourite books/ book series'? What are your favourite genres?

I'm currently reading Front Lines by Michael Grant. It's an alternative history where women are eligible to be drafted and join the army. I'm enjoying it so far!
cbgb
smol bean

A book thread

I got into reading when I was 11, I had a huge fight with my mom and decided to run away from home (lol, my mother didn't even notice, she thought I was out in the garden) but didn't know where to go, and the first place I could think of was the library, so in I went. That summer I read pretty much every Stephen King book I could find. My favourite genre is realism (Balzac, Maupassant, Stendhal) and classics (Austen, Dickens, Hugo, Verne) but I also enjoy some new stuff (Coe, Zadie Smith, ya novels) and pretty much a lot of other stuff (too many to list).

Lately I'm into mm books (they've ruined me). My absolute favorites are iCos and Captive Prince (still salty about book 3, what a disappointment). I'm currently reading Take by Ella Frank.

Sorry for the long post, my inner book nerd is showing
DryCereal
koi pond
Pronouns: she/her

Right now I'm halfway through reading HG:Mockingjay for the nth time. Then I have Dan's recommendation of "Ready Player One" (auf Deutsch, because I'm an idiot and didn't check the language on iBooks!) then I will probably read either Frank Herbert's "Dune" series (again) or (more likely) Gregory Maguire's Oz series. Both are fantastic, definite, me-approved recommended.

Fave series is probably Terry Pratchett's Discworld. Love it. Do not love Rincewind though. Not entirely sure why.

I also used to love Elinor Brent-Dyer's Chalet School series growing up. I think I might try and get ahold of them for a nostalgia trip again soon. There's just something about them that amazes me, especially given when they were first written/published. Random fact: I chose to first start learning 'cello lucky me, i got free choice in instruments aged 9 after reading "Gay Lambert at the Chalet School" - not, as some of my friends in secondary school decided, after seeing Cruel Intentions. FFS!
Seriously. Fuck. that. film. Made certain points of my life at school unbearable.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
hajime
dank meme

I've rediscovered the joy of reading this year, I'm simply gulping down books after books. Any genre is fine with me, everything from YA to gay erotica is a winner I'm craving to read more books from Japanese authors, and just a week ago I totally fell in love with Parade by Shuichi Yoshida.

Has anyone joined Goodreads? I'm always loving to see what other people have read/are reading.
swofro
angel bean

I learn to read very early on (well, compared to other children my age at the time. Nowadays kids are all smart. Lol) but I focus on reading comic books because that was more entertaining.

I read a lots on novel in my language, but my mum filters the books so nothing explicit ever come to my hand until I am about 15 or 16. I read Harry Potter in my own language as well. My mum jokingly bought me Chamber of Secrets and I got hooked, and demand all the books as soon as the translations launch.

I also had an attempt to translate a story book of David Copperfield to my own language when I am 12. I wonder where that thing went.

My proper English reading starts with Cecelia Ahern (still all time fav yo). My fav of hers is probably The Gift, a modernise christmas carol story that I enjoy. (fun fact: I love learning about christianity and how much it intertwine with Islam. They are very fun to learn about. :D)

I read 39 Clues because one of my neighbour/classmate have the whole collection and I spend a lot of time at his place during teen years.

There is a book called 'All The Things We Didn't Say' by Sara Shepard that I enjoy because of true depiction of depression, I guess. I bought it at a discount bookstore.

I also love all the YA Alexandra Potter writes, because most of it involves a little bit of magic and unbelievable stuff somehow.

Twilight because that is what all my clasmates read at that time. Hunger Games because I am very disturbed of the movies and I can't enjoy it as much as I wanted to so I resort to books.

Besides YA novels, I also read Dick Francis' jockey-detective stories. They are much fun.

I occassionally buy Readers Digest (a magazine) selected novel condensed version.

I used to read a lot but I cannot get out of fanfic hole. I have a few books that I bought last year that are still untouch. I even bought some detective stories to make myself interested in them, but I can't. Help.
Love is forever
syzygy
drama llama

currently reading:

Only a Theory: Evolution and the Battle for America's Soul - i'm enjoying this, it's easy to read but it's also scary the lengths that intelligent design advocates will go to in order to try and get creation to be taught in science classes.

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn - i've already read Gone Girl and Sharp Objects which i loved. i really like her writing style and she writes about dark shit which is nice.

and somehow i've also found myself re-reading the Harry Potter series again. i get the itch to re-read every couple of years. i've done that thing where i've started reading multiple books at once - i wish i would just stick to one at a time, but oh well.
ironic
lady door

I'm as reluctant as Dan when it comes to choosing favourites :) But if I had to, I would surely mention ' The Picture of Dorian Gray' by Oscar Wilde, 'Crime and Punishment' by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, 'The Master and Margarita' by Mikhail Bulgakov, 'Notre-Dame de Paris' by Victor Hugo, 'The Unbearable Lightness of Being' or 'The Joke' by Milan Kundera, and 'On the Road' by Jack Kerouac. As for the fantasy genre, I would choose 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman or the whole 'Witcher' series by Andrzej Sapkowski.

I also like Edgar Allan Poe, Jane Austen, Kurt Vonnegut, Ken Kesey, William Wharton, Herman Hesse, Sylvia Plath, George Orwell, Georges Perec... and many more. Mostly so called classics, though.

I used to be a total bookworm until my mental health got worse and I found myself almost unable to read. Now I'm really picky with books as I manage to finish maybe one per month. :|
If we all just traded in our knives for cakes, the world would be a better place.
hajime
dank meme

syzygy wrote:Dark Places by Gillian Flynn - i've already read Gone Girl and Sharp Objects which i loved. i really like her writing style and she writes about dark shit which is nice.
Dark Places was really good! I'm in the midst of reading Sharp Objects, and maybe it's because I haven't quite read it enough yet, I'm not sure how I feel about it. Her writing style is really nice, though.
daphenaxa
blobfish

ironic wrote: Crime and Punishment' by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, 'The Master and Margarita' by Mikhail Bulgakov

not kidding I am obsessed with Dostoevsky. I once became absolutely INSANE and read The brothers Karamazov in one night.

Do you guys read poetry? Who are your favourite poets? Mine are French poets Rimbaud and Baudelaire.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
bluebox-away
woodland creature

daphenaxa wrote:
ironic wrote: Crime and Punishment' by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, 'The Master and Margarita' by Mikhail Bulgakov

not kidding I am obsessed with Dostoevsky. I once became absolutely INSANE and read The brothers Karamazov in one night.
I hit complete literary classics insanity a while back when I bought the complete original version of Les Miserables, in French, thinking I'd actually have the time/persistence to read it :lol:
I mean my French is basically fluent but my god it's a long and difficult book
06/04/2016 - I found The Weakest Link :ninja:
Gif credit: IckleMissMayhem
Kurapika
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Percy Jackson is my favorite series of books. Nico is my beautiful son.

Les Mis is such a good book!! I love it (although I did skip some pages because I'm not gonna read 50 pages about sewers).
And Song of Achilles is one of the best books I've read recently.

My father is one of those people that like reading books that smart people read, and gave me some of those as a gift. He asked me to read Crime and Punishment, I read 4 pages and gave up because I was bored. I just do not care about "smart" books with a hard vocabulary.

And I'm gonna promo my fave, Chris Colfer, if you like children's books or have a child/sibling/whatever, The Land of Stories is a very good series.
the candlelight by the crescent moon
Delta503
tol bean

Never have I clicked on a thread so fast - so nice to read through all your recs! Favourites are pretty impossible, and some of mine have already been mentioned, so I'll try and keep it brief (that was optimistic) and zero in on particular titles.

We by Yevgeny Zamyatin - my username reference has gotta get a mention (.... yup i know :roll: ). Often cited as the forefather of Huxley's Brave New World and Orwell's 1984, it's dystopia in embryo. It was the first work to get banned by Bolshevik censors, so it's place in history is pretty interesting as well. I'd probably suggest making a start with the Huxley and Orwell if you're not already familiar, since the sometimes inevitably awkward translation and (interesting but heavy) focus on maths makes it a little heavy going.
High Rise by J.G. Ballard - I could rec any Ballard, but I started with this book so meh. More sci-fi, this time set in a new completely self contained high rise development, and charting it's society's descent into chaos. Remarkably prescient, like all Ballard.
The Awakening by Kate Chopin - Just amazing. Often treated as an early feminist text, I felt really connected to Edna. One of those books I set down at the end too hollow to really cry. Reminds me of the short story The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman.
Anything by George Eliot but MIddlemarch and Daniel Deronda vie for my top pick.
Stoner by John Williams - I recommend this to everyone, but I've had people actually stop reading have way through, so it's definitely not something that's universally appealing. I came across it after a resurgence in popular interest a couple years back - recounts the unfulfilled life of a stunted English professor through the mid-twentieth century. Completely disillusioning and wonderful :D
The Blazing World by Margaret Cavendish - Really cool in it's strangeness: incorporates her philosophical ideas in a maybe counter-intuitive way, and she's really remarkable for her time (published in 1666).

I'll stop there lol, I could be here all day. Atm I'm reading about 10 different books in the buildup to exams, but I've just read Freefall by William Goulding which I really enjoyed and am making a start on The stream of life by Clarice Lispector after a recommendation by a friend :)
daphenaxa wrote:Do you guys read poetry? Who are your favourite poets? Mine are French poets Rimbaud and Baudelaire.
I've only recently started getting into poetry, so I'm still working my way through the 'big names'. Reeling off a list offhand: Yeats (this Nerdwriter video on Leda and the Swan is good, tw for discussion of sexual assault), Rossetti (always loved her, Goblin Market is arguably my favourite poem), Frost, Charlotte Mew (i'd rec this biography, her life was tragically unfulfilled it breaks my heart), Milton (Paradise Lost y'know gotta get a mention), H.D. (just calming poetry to read i think), Robert Pinsky, Donne (funny stuff man). ... i'm drawing a blank.
hajime wrote:Has anyone joined Goodreads? I'm always loving to see what other people have read/are reading.
I did sign up for Goodreads but found it didn't sync well with my reading habits, and I found it almost a pressure? Which is weird because (I at least used to) keep a list of books I read. Idk, I guess the act of putting what you've read on public display is a little weird...which is literally what this thread is. I'm overthinking this now.
Dan Howell wrote:Remember kids, this is just me talking shit.
random
crusty sponge

Thank you guys for all the recs

If anyone wants to try out a few YA books, I would definitely suggest the Skulduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy. It's witty, fastpaced and has loads of action. It can make you laugh one second and hit you in the feels the next. It starts off a bit light and gets increasingly grittier as the series progresses.

Harry Potter is my childhood and I can reread the books countless number of times. I remember when I first read the Philosopher's Stone, I was all like "I want to be like Hermione!" Ahh, childhood nostalgia. xD

I also think that the Book Thief by Markus Zusak is a must read. I absolutely love this book. I can't really describe the feelings it invokes in me, but reading it was truly a deep, personal experience. I grew to identify and care for all of the characters so quickly. I don't want to say more, because really, this book is an experience rather than just a good read.
bluebox-away
woodland creature

random wrote: I also think that the Book Thief by Markus Zusak is a must read. I absolutely love this book. I can't really describe the feelings it invokes in me, but reading it was truly a deep, personal experience. I grew to identify and care for all of the characters so quickly. I don't want to say more, because really, this book is an experience rather than just a good read.
The Book Thief is so ridiculously good but it's so hard to explain, I made the mistake of reading it (towards the end) sat in the waiting area at my bank and had to try really hard not cry :wahh:
The film is also really good actually

Haven't read much else recently because of both netflix and fan fiction.. but I really enjoyed both The Opposite of Loneliness and All the Light We Cannot See which I read a little while back so would recommend those :)
random
crusty sponge

bluebox-away wrote:
random wrote: I also think that the Book Thief by Markus Zusak is a must read. I absolutely love this book. I can't really describe the feelings it invokes in me, but reading it was truly a deep, personal experience. I grew to identify and care for all of the characters so quickly. I don't want to say more, because really, this book is an experience rather than just a good read.
The Book Thief is so ridiculously good but it's so hard to explain, I made the mistake of reading it (towards the end) sat in the waiting area at my bank and had to try really hard not cry :wahh:
The film is also really good actually
I've never seen the movie, actually! I'll give it a shot one of these days.

Also, Kurapika I totally agree with you. Percy Jackson is the absolute best. I highly recommend anything written by Rick Riordan. He is guaranteed to make you crack up at least once while reading.
cbgb
smol bean

Delta503 wrote:
hajime wrote:Has anyone joined Goodreads? I'm always loving to see what other people have read/are reading.
I did sign up for Goodreads but found it didn't sync well with my reading habits, and I found it almost a pressure? Which is weird because (I at least used to) keep a list of books I read. Idk, I guess the act of putting what you've read on public display is a little weird...which is literally what this thread is. I'm overthinking this now.
I did also join GR, though I'm only keeping track of my mm books there (and I use another website to track the other books). I'm actually part of the m/m romance group and they're wonderful, they organize loads of reading challenges and events, I always wonder what they would think of D&P or if they know about them :D
I used to make fun of a friend of mine who was reading HP once and then got totally hooked myself! I read the italian translation, so I'm curious to try to read the original version in the future and see how they compare.
timtam
lady door

Yay! Glad everyone likes the book thread. I'm going check out all the books people are recommending and see if I can find some new reads. I'm mostly into YA, fantasy, historical and psychological thrillers. You guys read some fancy stuff here though (I'm not really into ''classics' not sure why). Great to see HP is still so popular. I LOVE harry potter, it was my first ever obsession. I recently went to the Warners Bros Studio in London and I just died from happiness while there!

I haven't been able to read much lately because I've got reading burnout from reading too much for uni so hopefully this thread will inspire me!
hajime wrote:
syzygy wrote:Dark Places by Gillian Flynn - i've already read Gone Girl and Sharp Objects which i loved. i really like her writing style and she writes about dark shit which is nice.
Dark Places was really good! I'm in the midst of reading Sharp Objects, and maybe it's because I haven't quite read it enough yet, I'm not sure how I feel about it. Her writing style is really nice, though.
I love Gillian Flynn's books. Sharp Objects was actually my favourite of hers. I read it first though it might have just been the shock factor.
Delta503 wrote:
I have a goodreads account! I love using it. It's great for getting recommendations and seeing what's popular at the moment. I'm happy to add people from here but I'll have to see what my username is. I can't remember it.

I get you though Delta503. When I first started I did the 2013 reading challenge and I put unbelievable pressure to read as many books as possible and to only read books that were 'popular' at the time. But now I just use it to keep track of what I've been reading, what I thought of the book (I don't write reviews but I do rate them) and keep track of books I want to read.
daphenaxa
blobfish

Do any of you like Toni Morrison ? My favourite of hers is Sula but I've read a lot of her books and I think she is phenomenal. I bought her last one, but didn't read it yet because I am too busy reading gay smut on AO3
another American author I really like in a different style is James Ellroy, usually when I start a book of his, I can't put it down
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
icklebrina
living flop

Oooooh!!! Books! I love books!

Some of you have mentioned some great ones. (well, all of you have, I'm sure, but I'm not familiar with all of the books :P)

Lately I've been reading a lot about Scientology's history - fascinating and disturbing stuff - as well as a bunch of Seanan Maguire's books (love her!) and just found Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series recently. I've been really enjoying it!

I like to read a wide variety of things, partially developed as a result of me reading everyone else's library books once I'd devoured mine as a child, lol - so I'll have to check out some of your recommendations!
mintsans
sofa crease

Delta503 wrote:We by Yevgeny Zamyatin - my username reference has gotta get a mention (.... yup i know :roll: ). Often cited as the forefather of Huxley's Brave New World and Orwell's 1984, it's dystopia in embryo. It was the first work to get banned by Bolshevik censors, so it's place in history is pretty interesting as well. I'd probably suggest making a start with the Huxley and Orwell if you're not already familiar, since the sometimes inevitably awkward translation and (interesting but heavy) focus on maths makes it a little heavy going.
Ohh this sounds right up my alley (is this the correct phrase? :lol: ) as Brave New World is one of my favorite books ever. Sadly I've only ever read translations and this thread just made me concious of it hmmm I might also have to buy/read it in english.

I love all kinds of books! As many people of my generation I fell back in love with reading with the HP series. I even got really fast at it cause I used to read the whole book on the day of the release to avoid spoilers as I was very into the internet HP fandom back then.

Some of my faves:

Fiction
About a boy by Nick Hornby. Very fun to read and the characters are lovable, specially little Marcus and his mom.
Fangirl and Attachments by Rainbow Rowell. They're YA novels so I'm often met with weird reactions to me liking them a lot, but honestly it just means they're books young people would be interested in. They're both so endearing, definitely cozy reads.
Short stories by Isaac Asimov, as I like is writing and I love how prolific he was but the whole Foundations saga which was his opus, is really really boring to me. To me they read like how classic writers used to extend their descriptions of things and overcomplicate everything because they were being paid by the word :lol:

Non fiction
ANY MOTHERFUCKING MARY ROACH BOOK!
She's just so funny! and informative and the themes of the books are so interesting. My fave is Stiff which is about what happens during and after death and all of it's implications in various societies. Bonk, which is about sex and sexuality is really really funny and just so good too.

I'm currently reading The Humans by Matt Haig, and so far it's been pretty good. I'm a sucker for the alien's point of view of human behaviour in novels (and fanfic tbh). I also will be reading Rainbow Rowell's super meta fanfic-in-a-book-turned-actual-book Carry on, as I somehow fucked up with Amazon and accidentally ordered it it's supposed to be really good and it has canon bisexual characters so...

books yay!!!
random
crusty sponge

It's cool that most of us love Harry Potter. What do you guys think about the Cursed Child? To keep this on topic, they're also planning on releasing the script as a book too.

Mild Spoilers below:
Tbh, I think I am going to love just because I miss the Harry Potter franchise so much. I mean I have always wondered about what everyone would be up to when they're all grown up. I've read the book Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and I am curious about how this is going to translate into a movie. Unpopular opinion: I don't mind the word No-Maj and I really like all the new lore about other magical schools. :?
icklebrina
living flop

mintsans wrote:
Non fiction
ANY MOTHERFUCKING MARY ROACH BOOK!
She's just so funny! and informative and the themes of the books are so interesting. My fave is Stiff which is about what happens during and after death and all of it's implications in various societies. Bonk, which is about sex and sexuality is really really funny and just so good too.

I'm currently reading The Humans by Matt Haig, and so far it's been pretty good. I'm a sucker for the alien's point of view of human behaviour in novels (and fanfic tbh). I also will be reading Rainbow Rowell's super meta fanfic-in-a-book-turned-actual-book Carry on, as I somehow fucked up with Amazon and accidentally ordered it it's supposed to be really good and it has canon bisexual characters so...

books yay!!!
Ooooh, those non-fic recs sound really interesting! I never really used to read non-fic, but have gotten more into it lately. The world is just so fascinating! If anyone has any other recommendations of non-fic books to read I'd be every so grateful! I have a new library card and time on my hands :P

I read Carry On last year (though I haven't actually read any of the others, lol - it was on promotion from something...) and enjoyed it.
timtam
lady door

random wrote:It's cool that most of us love Harry Potter. What do you guys think about the Cursed Child? To keep this on topic, they're also planning on releasing the script as a book too.

Mild Spoilers below:
Tbh, I think I am going to love just because I miss the Harry Potter franchise so much. I mean I have always wondered about what everyone would be up to when they're all grown up. I've read the book Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and I am curious about how this is going to translate into a movie. Unpopular opinion: I don't mind the word No-Maj and I really like all the new lore about other magical schools. :?
I'm excited but I'm also not excited? I love JK and all but I do think she has made some questionable comments post HP that make me worry about it. I'm not sure how I feel about things like FBAWTFT and the Cursed Child being considered canon when they aren't accessible to everyone (particularly Cursed Child) or not even fully written by her. I also don't want to ruin the absolute joy and wonder I have for HP. I'll probably watch/read both of them and enjoy it and I'm curious as to where the story will go but I'm so very wary of the whole thing.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

For the most part right now I read mm books, comics/graphic novels with some young adult, middle grade and nonfiction thrown in. I am not a big fan of the classics, with the exception of some Shakespeare stuff and the Sherlock Holmes stories.

The Land of Stories is a really good one, as are the Harry Potter books of course.
About the HP Cursed Child thing coming up, I am not sure how to feel about it yet. A big part of me has a headcanon about what happened to the charactetrs after the final book, and Iam attached to that. Some of the things I heard about it, don’t fill me with excitement I have to say.

Currently I am reading three things: What if? by Randall Munroe, The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling) and Rat Queen Volume 2 by Kurtis J. Wiebe

And I do have a goodreads account.
bluebox-away
woodland creature

timtam wrote:
random wrote:It's cool that most of us love Harry Potter. What do you guys think about the Cursed Child? To keep this on topic, they're also planning on releasing the script as a book too.

Mild Spoilers below:
I'm excited but I'm also not excited? I love JK and all but I do think she has made some questionable comments post HP that make me worry about it. I'm not sure how I feel about things like FBAWTFT and the Cursed Child being considered canon when they aren't accessible to everyone (particularly Cursed Child) or not even fully written by her. I also don't want to ruin the absolute joy and wonder I have for HP. I'll probably watch/read both of them and enjoy it and I'm curious as to where the story will go but I'm so very wary of the whole thing.
I'm not sure how I feel about it all but I have tickets to see Cursed Child (after 5 hours of painful getting through that terrible website) because I want to experience it even if I don't love it? I'm really excited about FBAWTFT though because Eddie Redmayne is fab and imo 20s magical New York sounds amazing. I'm not a big fan of No-Maj though but then Muggle seemed pretty weird when HP started out..
SquishPhan wrote:Currently I am reading three things: What if? by Randall Munroe, The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling) and Rat Queen Volume 2 by Kurtis J. Wiehe
All the Robert Galbraith books are amazing I love them, J.K. Rowling's writing style is just so much more interesting than regular crime writing imo, the characters are pretty great and the plot twists really surprised me