If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
kuensukki
janice from the shop

(yes I have one day off and am commenting on all the threads )

I think this pretty much sums why I'm such phan trash
phaniato
smol bean
Pronouns: they/them

all these stories are great!! mine is quite similar to a lot of your guys stories.

i THINK (my memory is a kinda blurry but im pretty sure) i found dan's video with the twins and then i found phil which led me to pinof 1&2 which i immediately thought that they were
a) related (like brothers or cousins?)
or
b) in a relationship (i was mostly betting on this one though)

so i googled them and i found EVERYTHING I SPENT LIKE A WHOLE WEEK RESEARCHING I FELT LIKE SHERLOCK HOLMES
i was so confused on how they were not related or in a relationship because their chemistry on screen told me otherwise. when i found voldy (oh lordy lord) that really summed up all the tweets and dailybooths and what not . through this process i mostly lurked on tumblr... and then i ended up creating a phan blog and so i rolled downhill from there and into .

so yeah i do ship them and believe that they are more than friends.

also side note: i didnt think that dan from pinof 1 and dan from how to speak internet were the same person lmao facepalm
danisnotonfire wrote: "don’t judge me for the litter that falls out for i am just a humble trash can trying to roll my way through life"

DeadlyNova
living flop
Pronouns: she/her

I went into watching them assuming they weren't together because I'd heard of the phandom and I thought all of the fans just shipped them because that's what fans do. Then after a couple of videos I actually saw what all those people were getting at...and then I did my research.

I'm the 'believe they're actually in a relationship and also support that relationship' kind of shipper.
mrrobot
dank meme

WOOOOOO what I good topic.

I'd like to start saying that I found Phan through research of how soulmate AU's worked because I was curious about it, so I kinda found the fandom before watching them??
So I was like ok are they together? I remember people from all the youtube comments going on like PHAN PHAN PHAN. And I'm always open to new lgbt youtubers so I was like yayyy (hahaahahhah..... i d idnt know what i was getting into)

Anyway, while looking if they were a couple I found the 2009 twitter conversations, their pictures and everything. I've been in a long distance relationship for a long time and holy shit they acted just like me and my girlfriend at the beginning? Not projecting I swear I just found it funny how they skyped for hours and were always looking forward to seeing each other and the little hints on social media.

I'm not into fanfic or the tumblr-y headcanons (and I'm really bothered by people that insist one is a top and one is a bottom like do you know any same sex couple at all. In a long term relationship theres no such thing as that hahaha but anyway), I just believe they dated in that time and hope they are happy and together now (many lesbians live w their exes but I hope it's not like that w them). ♥♥

(english is not my first language so I didn't want to write a lot bc when I write a lot I fuck up)
full-time internet homo and irl too
also Image
karlitatvphan
sofa crease
Pronouns: furry

^I see what you are saying, I'm not into (reading) fanfic so much (more into writing it) as well because I see them more as a romantic relationship than a sexual one.

My phan obsession comes and goes, sometimes I'm convinced that they are not/never were together and sometimes I think they are actually hiding their relationship from us.

Mostly I found them just cute, I love how they look at each other and that sort of things makes me happy.

I don't know when I started shipping them but it was around maybe last year when I really started getting obsessed with them.
lest12his
first-time poster

Hi guys, I'm new here(came from the infamous GG thread :D )

Tbh I'm more of a casual fan of Dan and Phil, so I never really investigated tumblr or anything else for 'proof' of their relationship.

I guess I always assumed they were involved, or had been involved at some point. I feel like they have this emotional bond and chemistry that goes deeper than just friendship. Not sure if it's romantic or sexual, but I think they're more than friends. Kind of frustrating to have to rely on hints and hunches though!
nessie
smol bean

I think back when pinof1 was posted and just how they had to be together and since then i truly think that they are soulmates and they prove it time and time again tbh
phannietastic
banned

i started shipping it when i saw their tweets to each other back in 2011, it was soooooo cute!
--Melon
sassyinamorata
banned

When I first started watching deppy around 2014, I felt a familiar essence and thought they were super cute together. Skeptical me passed it off as just another casual youtube ship like troyler or shoey due to how insane and delirious the fangirls seemed. However, on one eventful day, I remember going through the comments and seeing somebody talking about voldy (i had no idea what it was at the time or that they had so much depth to their relationship) of course, curious little me was really confused about what was happening but by the way everyone was talking about them, I started to get the idea that it wasn't just some "innocent ship." Thus I fell down the deep spiral of analysis, antiproof, old tweets, the site that shall not be named, timelines, and... *sigh* fanfiction. Eventually after a lot of digging and tumblr asks trying to explain what voldy was, I found it, watched it (shame on me, i know. ) and sobbed all the way through due to being overwhelmed by the feeling of exhaustion, shock, happiness, and invasivity. Even after going through all of that and becoming the trash I am today, i'm still quite ambiguous about their current relationship (though i ship it really hard) but i'm almost 100% convinced that they were in 2009-2011 (and sure, you can try to pull the "attention-seeking" card but I highly doubt it due to the amount of relation between things mentioned in the 'video' and things they had said in tweets/etc)
[offtopic]lol. this entire post is a mess. sorry, i'm really tired [/offtopic]
CallMeAyana
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: Phan Trash

I started watching them a month ago, like.. from Connor Franta to Tyler Oakley to Dan. I was a casual viewer back then (a horrible casual viewer if I might say), and.. I really thought that Phil is just a random casual friend of Dan (like Caspar is to Joe and vice-versa).
I was a Dangirl, and a very cringe-y one at that (I said was because I'm now a part of the PLDS :P ). I watched one video of them together (which is surely not PINOF), and.. I immediately found Phil "unattractive" (oh, how time passes by), and tried to avoid him at all cost. From then on, I only watch Dan's vids, until it came to the point that I finally watched PINOF, and thought that, "Hey, they look cute and funny. I need to check out Phil." Check Phil I did, but I prefer Dan's videos even after that.
So.. After that, I came into the comment sections, and guess what? I came into a huge inside joke that I can't quite get my grasp on. 2012 and the voldy had been mentioned, but people answered their questions so I went on my merry way, until.. I saw people ship them. Shipping real people together wasn't exactly my thing, so I held back for a few good seconds until I searched "proof" which happens to be only Heart-Eyes Howell. From that, I started shipping them. HARD (irrationally, but hard). This continued for a few good days until I decided that "I want more".
I scourged the internet for more proof, and I got the gist of the 2012 drama, and those Tumblr blogs. I finally found the transcript for the voldy by that time, but didn't think much of it.
The following week was more intense as I.. really got curious, and.. found the voldy :shock: Remembering it, I was really happy that I found it, but now.. I just feel so horrible. Anyways, it was removed the next day, so.. yeah. Then after that comes the Phan Directory and all those wonderful shiz (I tried to open the Links, but failed miserably).
Those things lead me to the "Dark Ages", and.. that solidified my ship more. I ripped the internet apart for some more juicy gossips (GG came in occasionally, but I wasn't that interested by that time), and.. yeah. Basically, it's the week that I got knee-deep into the phandom.
The following week lead me further down the rabbit hole as I finally.. discovered GG that lead me to opening the Links. Again, I'm squealing in delight at this before I fell deeper down the rabbit hole.
At some occasions, I doubt them, but most of the time, I ship them so hard that my friends are probably sick of me for shipping them :sideeye:
Unlike a few weeks ago, I'm probably fine with them even as friends because their friendship is #friendshipgoals, but if they really are together.. that would be nice :)

TL;DR: The Phandom unintentionally made me ship it, and I willingly let myself fall down the rabbit hole

[offtopic]I wasn't exactly searching for IDB since I thought that the threads in GG will be up and running again, but it seems that fate pulled me here since.. I typed up something on Google, then one of IDB's thread appeared as the second result :lol:[/offtopic]
swofro
angel bean

CallMeAyana wrote:
I started watching them a month ago, like.. from Connor Franta to Tyler Oakley to Dan. I was a casual viewer back then (a horrible casual viewer if I might say), and.. I really thought that Phil is just a random casual friend of Dan (like Caspar is to Joe and vice-versa).
I was a Dangirl, and a very cringe-y one at that (I said was because I'm now a part of the PLDS :P ). I watched one video of them together (which is surely not PINOF), and.. I immediately found Phil "unattractive" (oh, how time passes by), and tried to avoid him at all cost. From then on, I only watch Dan's vids, until it came to the point that I finally watched PINOF, and thought that, "Hey, they look cute and funny. I need to check out Phil." Check Phil I did, but I prefer Dan's videos even after that.
So.. After that, I came into the comment sections, and guess what? I came into a huge inside joke that I can't quite get my grasp on. 2012 and the voldy had been mentioned, but people answered their questions so I went on my merry way, until.. I saw people ship them. Shipping real people together wasn't exactly my thing, so I held back for a few good seconds until I searched "proof" which happens to be only Heart-Eyes Howell. From that, I started shipping them. HARD (irrationally, but hard). This continued for a few good days until I decided that "I want more".
I scourged the internet for more proof, and I got the gist of the 2012 drama, and those Tumblr blogs. I finally found the transcript for the voldy by that time, but didn't think much of it.
The following week was more intense as I.. really got curious, and.. found the voldy :shock: Remembering it, I was really happy that I found it, but now.. I just feel so horrible. Anyways, it was removed the next day, so.. yeah. Then after that comes the Phan Directory and all those wonderful shiz (I tried to open the Links, but failed miserably).
Those things lead me to the "Dark Ages", and.. that solidified my ship more. I ripped the internet apart for some more juicy gossips (GG came in occasionally, but I wasn't that interested by that time), and.. yeah. Basically, it's the week that I got knee-deep into the phandom.
The following week lead me further down the rabbit hole as I finally.. discovered GG that lead me to opening the Links. Again, I'm squealing in delight at this before I fell deeper down the rabbit hole.
At some occasions, I doubt them, but most of the time, I ship them so hard that my friends are probably sick of me for shipping them :sideeye:
Unlike a few weeks ago, I'm probably fine with them even as friends because their friendship is #friendshipgoals, but if they really are together.. that would be nice :)

TL;DR: The Phandom unintentionally made me ship it, and I willingly let myself
fall down the rabbit hole

[offtopic]I wasn't exactly searching for IDB since I thought that the threads in GG will be up and running again, but it seems that fate pulled me here since.. I typed up something on Google, then one of IDB's thread appeared as the second result :lol:[/offtopic]
That is such a roller coaster of a month you have over there. I was the same about thinking Phil is just a friend of Dan back in 2012/2013. And then, they made the the gaming channel. Then, I discovered Phil.

Glad that you found your way here through fate. Maybe it's meant to be. Enjoy the stay.
Love is forever
CallMeAyana
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: Phan Trash

swofro wrote:
CallMeAyana wrote:

TL;DR: The Phandom unintentionally made me ship it, and I willingly let myself
fall down the rabbit hole

That is such a roller coaster of a month you have over there. I was the same about thinking Phil is just a friend of Dan back in 2012/2013. And then, they made the the gaming channel. Then, I discovered Phil.

Glad that you found your way here through fate. Maybe it's meant to be. Enjoy the stay.
Ikr? I actually thought that they're just friends (which go to each others houses on occasion) at first, but then.. the comments section :lol:
And.. yeah :) It's pretty much of a roller coaster of of ride (which I really enjoyed :) ). Right now though, I'm pretty much laying low about things.. horribly (but at least, I tried!).
Also, thanks! :D I actually haven't posted in the introduction thread yet, so.. I think I'll do that a bit later. And, I agree that stumbling across IDB is fate :) (I really enjoyed lurking for the past few weeks, so I thought that maybe I should join in :) )
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: She/They/Nothing

Something about this new dinof video made me have a lot of feelings. (the blinding himself with deodorant) That is unusual. I try not to have feelings about them too often, or get too shippy. But this video...

I remember when Phil did his Creepy doll video everyone was surprised they traveled separately (I wasn't here yet, so I don't know if that was a thing or not here ) But it made sense to me since they are just friends, they don't have to do everything together. But throughout this trip they have spent every other second together. The we's and ours HAVE multiplied.They are closer and more in synch in videos. Letting someone put eyedrops in your eye takes a lot of freaking trust.

I often find myself wondering if they couldn't do everything they do right now and live separately. They could still film together, hang out together, keep in touch, etc, without living together. Heck, they could even tour together but still take separate flights, stay in different hotels, eat separate meals, watch tv in their own rooms etc. AND still be best friends.

I see a lot of my friends, my past self included, struggling through life alone. You have a problem and you solve it, alone. Like, yea, that's what life is like, you are mostly on your own. It has taken me years to understand that it is ok, at any time, to ask my husband his opinion on something that I am having a problem with, and he will try to help me solve it.

They don't have to do a lot of the things they do together "together". Well, we both have to eat, so we eat every meal together. We both like anime, so we watch hundreds probably thousands of hours of it together. We both like tumblr, so we sit next to eachother pointing out gifs together. We both film videos, lets save a few hundred bucks by sharing a camera and lights...

The only time I have ever felt the need to spend so much time with a friend that I might as well live there was with my husband. The only person I would feel comfortable sharing kitchenware, picking out furniture, and mixing my possessions together on a shelf with is my husband.

I want to believe its all ok and they will never have to change. Because heaven help these guys if/when they do have to separate and haven't found new people to connect to. It's going to hurt like hell and feel like half of you is missing for a long freaking time. Counseling will be needed. Heck, if I have my license by then I will fly to freaking London and help them myself.
nephilimcat
woodland creature

I already thought they were cute together before I watched them. And when I started watching them, I think the PINOFs were the main reason I became a shipper. Even though I've never been one of those people who freaks out over them touching or believes Phan is real just because of some minority, I can really see them as a couple and there are so many strange "coincidences" and occurrences, that are really convincing. I do understand why they might not want to share their relationship though and respect their privacy. But I can also see them being in a very close platonic relationship. Either way, them being happy is the most important thing
pulvis et umbra sumus
Skeletorsrighthand
living flop

I dont ship them per se but i dont think they have a normal freindship/relationship i saw that one video which im not sure im allowed to mention because im new here. seems like evidence to me.
How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
000dia000
emo goose

Skeletorsrighthand wrote:I dont ship them per se but i dont think they have a normal freindship/relationship i saw that one video which im not sure im allowed to mention because im new here. seems like evidence to me.
no, mention it all you want, this is a safe space.
I was the very same, actually, and still am. I didn't get the shipping until I came across the "proof".
I'm not 100 percent convinced but I'm in too deep and I like their fluffy relationship anyways :platonic:
:cactus:
Skeletorsrighthand
living flop

The V day video my mind shattered watching that i coudnt do anything for a day without imagining them together so I read the deleted tumblr blog analyzing the video. Holding my thoughts in my heart.
How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
dodo3000
placenta

From the very beginning of YouTube I would occasionally watch a video, but I had no idea of any sort of community there. I frequented the SMOSH website a lot, I didn't know they were on YouTube as well, so when I found out that was the first channel I ever subscribed to. In 2011 a friend from Deviantart asked me to come to tumblr for the 'better messaging system' LOL so I went there, and found fandoms! I began shipping Ianthony but I also kept seeing pictures of this guy I swore I'd seen before. Then I remembered, I'd seen him on Supernote, I'd voted for Jenna Marbles at the time don't judge me :) I began to watch Dan's videos every time someone would reblog them. But when he posted his 'meaning of life' video, I became a real fan.

I began with telling about SMOSH because I ship ianthony casually, like it's not the most rediculous ship but they are obviously best friends and not secret lovers. PHAN though.. is a whole different story. Dan actually introduced me to Phil by having him in his videos lol! I subscribed to Phil, but didn't really get into his videos until like 2014 when imo his content became better and better. Their joint videos were also funny imo but I was more in it for the quality videos than for the "base content" that is pinof ~pls don't kill me.

ANYWAY one tumblr friend of mine was a hardcore phan shipper and I was kind of interested, I thought this would be another fun ship like ianthony, but then BAM WAS I HIT IN THE FACE WITH COLD HARD FACTS that were just undeniable. I spent nights long feverishly going through the timeline, read about the 'voldy' (apparently it's called that here omg) and people being really angry and saying nobody should ever go and watch it! So naturally, trash that I am, I searched for it and found it in like 30 seconds.. and it broke my heart.

What can I say, would I ship them as hard if I had never seen all that old information? I like to think so. Just by the mere fact that Dan worships Phil every chance he gets, the fact that they have lived together for so long, and seem to grow more towards each other rather than apart. They are definitely not regular best friends. In fact, me and my boyfriend of 15 years and counting spend way less time together than these two. No couple I know is this together.

mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

Your post is complete trash and I love it.
dodo3000 wrote:In 2011 a friend from Deviantart asked me to come to tumblr for the 'better messaging system' LOL
In which universe has tumblr ever had a better messaging system than another place's, though? Unless deviantart's system is really really crap in comparison. But in 2011 there wasn't even private messaging on tumblr (except the ask box), as far as i know! That's hilarious, and thoroughly deserves the all-caps LOL.
gnostic
stress mushroom

Well...
Just here for the marketing skills
papierklemmen
flower crown

gnostic wrote:Well...
ahahaha :platonic:
human
dan hand trash

papierklemmen wrote:
*Made the if you don't ship phan why not thread many months ago*

papierklemmen
flower crown

human wrote:
papierklemmen wrote:

we still need to wait and see what's gonna happen next. maybe it's all a glitch in the matrix :(
gnostic
stress mushroom

papierklemmen wrote:
human wrote:
papierklemmen wrote:

we still need to wait and see what's gonna happen next. maybe it's all a glitch in the matrix :(
I am not climbing the phan hype bandwagon just yet, but I may have also lost my tickets to "just friends" train. Time will tell
Just here for the marketing skills
Winston
flower crown

gnostic wrote:
papierklemmen wrote:
human wrote:
papierklemmen wrote:

I am not climbing the phan hype bandwagon just yet, but I may have also lost my tickets to "just friends" train. Time will tell

Not going to lie, I visit that train quite a bit almost daily but lately it is less and less.
actions speak louder than words