RuPaul's Drag Race Thread

akui
blobfish
Pronouns: She/Her

Hello gorgeous beasts, the drag race has always been a popular topic in the tv show thread, now it's back with the new season, i thought maybe it deserves its own thread.

So chat away bitches, and remember, if you can’t love yourself, how the hell you gonna love somebody else?

hiddenwombat
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

can i get an amen
000dia000
emo goose

Okay, this seems pretty dead and I was going to make an enthusiastic post episodes ago but I forgot, better late than never... It's kind of late to say this but:
Sad that Adore left
I'm kind of hoping for Alyssa (she really grew on me) or Alaska to win
people really hate Alaska after the last episode and she sent Tatianna home, idk if it's an overreaction but I agree that I'm kind of sick that Roxxy seems to have been in the bottom for the last few weeks now, I could say the same about Katya but she's an unmovable fan favorite no matter what she does
:cactus:
eevee
emo goose

Most recent ep spoiler
Everyone seems to be upset that roxxy is still there and super over it, me included lol. I really wanted Alaska to go home because she was being SUCH a brat!! "I need to make final 4. I need to." Like wining and crying and being a little bitch about it. Everyone seems to think that she's going to win but I'm really hoping she doesn't, I'm #TeamKatya !!! I really like Katya she's adorbs I would also be happy with Detox winning. Alaska lost major points with me tho so I no longer support her lol.
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
000dia000
emo goose

eevee wrote:Most recent ep spoiler
Everyone seems to be upset that roxxy is still there and super over it, me included lol. I really wanted Alaska to go home because she was being SUCH a brat!! "I need to make final 4. I need to." Like wining and crying and being a little bitch about it. Everyone seems to think that she's going to win but I'm really hoping she doesn't, I'm #TeamKatya !!! I really like Katya she's adorbs I would also be happy with Detox winning. Alaska lost major points with me tho so I no longer support her lol.
I'm the exact same:
I'm disgusted Alyssa has gone home, she was my favorite Queen and despite all the fucking bullshit of Rolaskatox she was too gracious for them
It's weird how Alaska went from one of my favorites to suddenly one of the worst, how did one of the most commonly liked queen become such a villain in the space of a week? wtf?
Seriously judging Detox, dont even want her to win at this point, at all, and I doubted Roxxy's ability to get this far after being in the bottom for so.long.
Nothing is scared anymore, except for Katya, who must win
NarrysCanary
janice from the shop
Pronouns: she/her

000dia000 wrote:
eevee wrote:Most recent ep spoiler
I'm the exact same:
I'm disgusted Alyssa has gone home, she was my favorite Queen and despite all the fucking bullshit of Rolaskatox she was too gracious for them
It's weird how Alaska went from one of my favorites to suddenly one of the worst, how did one of the most commonly liked queen become such a villain in the space of a week? wtf?
Seriously judging Detox, dont even want her to win at this point, at all, and I doubted Roxxy's ability to get this far after being in the bottom for so.long.
Nothing is scared anymore, except for Katya, who must win
I agree with the both of you. And that gif makes me laugh, it's so fitting to the competition right now :lol:. I didn't like how Alaska reacted to being in the bottom 3 at all but I guess it's a good thing that she ended up there cause she was getting a bit too confident in my opinion and too much confidence is never a good thing. As the both of you I'm gutted that Alyssa was eliminated and not Roxxxy who's been saved by Detox and Alaska way too many times. I didn't know for who I was rooting for at the beginning but now I know that I want Katya to win.
:biheart:
000dia000
emo goose

For context on the public vote so far, I stole this from reddit:
Also I'm loving this Roxxy meme on reddit at the moment:
They won't let her go home and she's trapped
AND
*7 weeks after finishing filming series finale*
eevee
emo goose

000dia000 wrote:For context on the public vote so far, I stole this from reddit:
Also I'm loving this Roxxy meme on reddit at the moment:
They won't let her go home and she's trapped
AND
*7 weeks after finishing filming series finale*
SPOILER: Oh wow, I'm surprised so many people are #TeamKatya !! When the show started, it seemed like everyone was team alaska, or just thought alaska was going to win and accepted it, i don't think people thought katya would get this far and are now totally behind her because she'd fuckin awwwweeeeeeesome. also I thought detox was more popular so thats interesting. oh well!

and yeah the roxxy memes are hilarious hahaha. she basically wanted to go home im surprised her friends werent sending her home as a favor :lol:
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
akui
blobfish

Dat adore's face lol

I'm totally #teamkatya as well, she is insanely talented and deserves to win in season 7(?), much more deserving than whoever won that season (who?), i think a lot of people cheering for her for the same reason. Also Katya is relatively new, queens like alaska or detox are beloved yes, but they didn't necessarily bringing anything new to the table.

That being said
i don't think the result is unfair or anything, alaska is good and she deserves it, i'm happy for her.
Also yes, detox was being a coward for eliminating
alyssa, the only reason she does that is that she know alissa is nice and she can handle it, roxxy does not deserve to be at final 4 at all. She got this far only because she's friends with detox and alaska and they kept saving her ass. Imo tatianna should be in final 4 not roxxy.
000dia000
emo goose

Finally got around to watching the finale and I can say is:
no surprise Alaska won. People were right with their predictions. Sure Alaska is now "in the hall of fame" but at what cost? Her popularity is gone everybody sees her as a whiny child now :/ I hate Rolskatox, let it burn in hell
manged
lady door

Oh I forgot about this thread.

I enjoyed this season over all. They genuinely casted the most memorable queens from the past seasons. The Phi Phi drama was hilarious, especially with how it played out on social media while the episodes aired. I'm glad Tatianna came back to TV, got her shine, and introduced herself to the Drag Race noobies out there. But I really wished she could've made it to top 4, even more than I wish Alyssa would've replaced a Final queen (and that's coming from a huge Alyssa lover as well).

But yes, I was also #TeamKatya. I was during her RPDR season as well. She won people over by being endearing and hilarious out of drag, and bringing a certain quirkiness that even Alaska lacks. Alaska had already earned her status as an iconic Drag Race queen and performed spectacularly during most challenges, so technically she deserved the win, but dammit, Ru shoulda just switched it up on us and given the crown to Katya anyway.
thephandommenace
procrastinator
Pronouns: they/them

Excited for season 9? :D

Based on the Colour Splash promo and Meet the Queen introduction videos, plus a couple of audition tape segments I saw on Twitter, I think the strongest contenders in the competition will probably be
Sasha Valour, Nina Bonina Brown, Alexis Michelle and Valentina.
I'm also very attracted to
Farrah Moan and Kimora Blac
thephandommenace
procrastinator

Start your engines
thephandommenace
procrastinator

Attempting to revive this thread again, bc I have nowhere else to discuss it :D
(I don't read the Reddit discussions but I'll start once Season 9 is over. I see Reddit spoilers in the YouTube/Facebook comments before the episode has even aired and it pisses me off because I just want to enjoy the show :sideeye: )
I enjoy Shea and Sasha, Nina is talented and I love her but she needs to step it up, Alexis is talented but is getting on my last nerve, I love Trinity and Peppermint way more than I ever expected, I was excited for Jaymes Mansfield and Charlie Hides and I wish they'd gone further. (I think it's criminal that we were deprived of Charlie Hides doing Joan Rivers for Snatch Game. :wahh: ) I really loved Eureka as well (unpopular opinion). This is probably the first season in which I've loved so many queens!

My ideal top 3 would be Shea, Sasha and Trinity. The trouble is none of them are really a clear standout to me, as they're ALL fierce and talented and seem evenly matched. Shea's won the most challenges so far and seems the most consistent but her personality doesn't seem to pop as much and hasn't shown much vulnerability so far, which has made it hard for me to really root for her. I thought Nina was clearly going to be the winner and she's such a standout but she's not won a challenge since the first episode, eight whole episodes ago.

Thoughts on Valentina's elimination?
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

My favs who are still in the competition are Shea and Peppermint. I was really rooting for Charlie Hides so it was disappointing to see her go so early.
I wouldn't have expected Valentina to be the next to go but that lip sync was cringe-inducing, especially compared to Nina's. :?
000dia000
emo goose

My top three are Shea, Sasha and Trinity. I think Shea will be the winner (she has the edit). I think I would like to see Sasha win though, as I would like her personality in among the winners (if that makes sense?). Also Trinity has grown on me so I want to see her do well

Eliminated Queens:
I'm a big fan of Valentina, and while she obviously fucked up (so soooo badly) I still like her for what she does. I say she will win Miss Congeniality however, so it won't be too bad.

Nina. I loved her in episode 1, 2, 3...it starts to go down from there. Self-consciousness and anxiety got to her, she just became harder to watch until she just became downright *mean* and self absorbed. People can look past that, and see her for her talents, but the kind of abrasive attitudes she has has made my tolerance to her fall. Hopefully she'll become big in her own way, following the show ending, and has had exposure to more people who like her for those reasons.
thephandommenace
procrastinator

My reaction to this week's episode:
- Everybody loves puppets!
- yaaaassss gay it up
- Rupaul's amazing ribbon-twirling segment
- their own ribbonography was pretty underwhelming
- the sexy unicorns just gave me furry/brony
- Are you kidding me?! Say what you want about Sasha's looks being more fashion than ball but. COME. ON.
3 perfect looks (including an actual rainbow look) + standing out in the ribbonography + the little house on her head... but oh no, she didn't gag the judges. Plus her winning would have evened the playing field for the final 3. Now it looks like Shea's going to win for sure. I like her (and I loved her construction worker look) but this was one of the least deserved wins imo, and it feels like Sasha has been robbed so many times this season. Though neither of them seem to have a personality befitting of America's Next Drag Superstar. Sorry bout it. Trinity should snatch the crown. >:)
- Great lip sync. I will rewatch it many times.
- Alexis Michelle is gone! she didn't annoy me that much this episode though. I'll wait for Untucked, my opinion may change. I'm sure she'll call the others out for not telling her her outfit was basic
thephandommenace
procrastinator

THAT REUNION THO

I'm so glad they brought back the old format before the Grand Finale. I think they get nervous/pageant-y with a big audience watching them (and applauding/booing) and so they don't speak their minds, or a lot of what they say is pre-planned. So this was EXTREMELY refreshing.

And boy what a reunion it was! Probably my favourite of all the reunions. I've already watched it 3 times.
I have very mixed feelings about the Miss Congeniality moment but it made for some great TV. I was so pleased with Aja this episode, she single-handedly sparked one of the show's most iconic moments ever. (It was very telenovella / Miss Columbia, Valentina continues her branding to the end.) Personally I would have picked Farrah or Peppermint (or even Eureka) to be MC but that's besides the point. If congenial means agreeable, likeable, gracious or whatever then sure, Valentina (from what you see on the show) is deserving of the title, but it sounds like she's a completely different person off camera. I also remember being confused as to why Valentina said nothing when Nina was getting so much hate for winning the lipsync. It's a shame because I kind of came to enjoy Nina and Tina (lol)'s chemistry when they seemed like polar opposites at the beginning and yet had this budding friendship. Not anymore I guess.
Has anybody's opinions of some queens changed? Have you picked sides? What was your favourite part? And what did you think of the last episode?
shan
morning quiff

Any Drag Race fans want to revive this topic while we have two new seasons running right now? I find twitter fans to be waaaay too intense so I'd love a casual place to chat about each week's episode if anyone's keen!

My two cents is that I'm enjoying the UK queens more than the US right now. I connect more with the British sense of humour but I'm also finding them to be a lot more likeable in general.

I'm rooting for Lawrence Chaney to win the UK version as I have so much family in Scotland that it's basically mandated I back a Scottish queen. I also adored Tia Kofi and Veronica Green. I have a thing for underdogs and queens who stick up for others when the more seasoned queens bully them. And it really does read as bullying to me when they constantly pick the same weaker target to beat down every week. I was so sad when I heard Veronica wasn't coming back but I really hope she makes a reappearance next season! I do really like most of the queens that are left, though I'm not crazy about A'Whora. Special shout out to Tayce's Kath impersonation during Snatch Game - as an Australian, she did an Aussie classic proud and I was cry-laughing the entire time :lol:

For the US season I'm finding it a lot harder to pick out a favourite. I like Utica since quirky queens are right up my alley too (Crystal Methyd last season was everything) but I'm not fully sold on her yet. I loved Elliott at the beginning because of the underdog factor but I'm now leaning more towards Symone. I even started liking Rose last week after being solidly 'meh' about her in the beginning.

I'd love to read other people's thoughts and opinions if you're also watching!

Edit: can someone also please reply to some forums in the 'Everything Else' section?? My anxiety is peaking being the most recent poster in all of the forums :oops: :lol: I really need to stop responding to everything but I just really enjoy talking to everyone here on IDB!!
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

I have no interest in Drag Race, but I love reading all the side threads and am thrilled that you are going through them! :tu: I personally appreciate your efforts to wake up this lovely community to more communication! :lilheart:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon

I’m only watching the UK version at the moment but I’m having similar issues - idk who to root for now my faves have gone out (Tia and Veronica!)

Of the remaining queens, I think Bimini is my favourite. She puts a lot of thought into her runway looks, the bacteria one was very couturely! I liked Lawrence initially but I’ve kind of gone off her, while I’ve warmed to A’whora, who I didn’t like at all to start with. I still think Lawrence will make the final tho!
shan
morning quiff

Oh hey fellow team Tia and Veronica! I definitely get what you mean about Lawrence, my Scottish heritage is playing a big role in backing her but she's kind of lost me a bit in the last couple of episodes. Bimini's grown on me recently (the bacteria look was incredible!) and I'm actually loving that there's no one with a really horrible personality left. I'd be pretty happy for any of them to win at this point!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Dan and Phil broke me; I'm gonna start streaming RPDR UK tomorrow.
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon

Let us know what you think! There is also an additional documentary on iPlayer about how the queens got on during lockdown which is worth watching!
Putting recent episode discussion in spoilers for dizzy!

So who was right and wrong in the last episode? I was firmly team Ellie. She won the mini challenge, she had the right to put the order however she liked to her own advantage. Had Lawrence won she would have done exactly the same. The only thing I would have liked to see was her owning it, rather than being all “are you ok with that?”
Tayce was 100% correct, it’s not RuPaul’s best friends race!

I was a bit surprised that Ellie didn’t end up in the bottom two in the end bc her stand up wasn’t great and her runway was one of the less inspired creations of hers, but seems that the lip sync face off between Awhora and Tayce was too good for the producers to miss.

I forgot how the top 4 goes (I’ve only ever watched the UK version! I was team DDC in Season 1) My prediction is that Ellie will come bottom, and I hope that Bimini wins but I’d also be happy if Tayce wins. I’m meh on Lawrence.

Also shoutout to Mr Lackless who asked in a very quiet voice during the last episode ”is Michelle Visage a man or a woman?” bless 😂
brq
phillion/danosaur <//3

This season of RPDRUK is the first time I've actually known a queen on the show personally and I've still not watched it :? I usually like to watch whole seasons at once but I think this makes me a bad friend
:prideheart2: