Dan & Phil Part 54: Born in the fires of the internet

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
fancybum
senpai

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:50 pm
fancybum wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:36 pmReally though I'd like this theory to keep developing until they've got not 2 flats, not even 3, but the entire building. Dan and Phil: Cowboy Landlords, coming soon.
They're clearly forward thinkers. They'll snare in youtubers like Dean and Dodie and Hazel for the merch business while they're relevant, and then become their landlords once youtube inevitably crashes and the dreams of multimillion dollar homes fade away.
Ok um this is no longer a joke because I actually want this? Cameras in all the flats- IRL ushers in the future of vlogging predicted by the Truman Show (but like... this is consensual so it's ok). A somewhat less dramatic (so more boring probably, but more real) Big Brother. I can haz? D&P would still only be on the outskirts in a producing capacity, but hey I'll take what I can get.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
blackdenim
procrastinator

liola wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:27 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:01 pm Theory: Janice is super territorial. Didn't want Phil to have any of his old stuff, demanded Phil have an entirely fresh start.

Those Stephen King books and Buffy dvds on the shelf above Dan's computer? Bad influence on a toddler. Phil's plants - what if the baby tried to chew the leaves? And don't even mention the cacti. Phil's shoes that were in the moon room? Don't want the baby to accidentally strangle itself with the shoelaces. The mirror from Phil's old bedroom propped in the moon room? Might fall and crush the baby! Phil's backpack behind Dan in the last liveshow Dan did was full of extra non-baby-safe things he stores there. Joint owned board games on the shelf? Well, it's not like Phil has time for whimsy like that with a kid approaching toddlerhood. Phil's centipede pic matching the floor in the moon room? Janice didn't want him to release it anywhere near their flat so she made him take it to Dan's to let it go.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Don't forget the lava lamp, what if it hypnotize the baby and it turns into a serial killer? Janice wouldn't want that.

But really, they've said the apartment is confusing and I believe it, because I think it was implied that there's another floor ABOVE the kitchen and lounge with the computer nook? I thought that's where the moon room is, because in the joint ls Phil said that he keeps forgetting to bring the cleaning wipes "upstairs" :shrug:
Psh obviously the floor above the kitchen is actually in the other flat, which is on a higher floor of the block.

(I'm glad everyone is taking my 2-flats theory in the jokey spirit it was intended!)

I forgot about the potential third floor! Honestly more than the layout I want to know how much per month this fricking huge flat in London is costing them, it seems like it must be the same size as the house I grew up in with my dad and five siblings :roll:
fondsmiles
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

I think all this discussion about Janice is fair and important. But what really upsets me is how much we disregard Sabrina in their lives. Dan was the one who told us about Sabrina first, and only because of the misunderstanding Phil also told us about Janice. Why don't we pay attention to that more?? Sure, we know lots about where Janice lives and what kind of person she is by now, but did you all just completely forget Sabrina exists too in their lives? Just take a moment to think about what she might feel!! Forgotten, not cared about... Living with her ex-husband, his new wife and child, and his extremely platonic best friend. Trust me when I tell you she feels very lonely and sad. Just trust me. I know more about this than what you might think.
And talk about her some, for real. She has feelings too!
:(
[x]
[x]
liola
rankussy

fondsmiles wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:20 pm I think all this discussion about Janice is fair and important. But what really upsets me is how much we disregard Sabrina in their lives. Dan was the one who told us about Sabrina first, and only because of the misunderstanding Phil also told us about Janice. Why don't we pay attention to that more?? Sure, we know lots about where Janice lives and what kind of person she is by now, but did you all just completely forget Sabrina exists too in their lives? Just take a moment to think about what she might feel!! Forgotten, not cared about... Living with her ex-husband, his new wife and child, and his extremely platonic best friend. Trust me when I tell you she feels very lonely and sad. Just trust me. I know more about this than what you might think.
And talk about her some, for real. She has feelings too!
:(
Smh you're right, that's what the third floor is about. It's Sabrina's. I guess Phil has different days to spend with each wife, maybe Sabrina is the cleaning wipes keeper hence why he was supposed to bring them upstairs.

AmazingPhil more like AmazingHarem
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
malday
emo goose

Oh yeah, i forgot about the bathroom with the broken handle. I think that is definitely downstairs and is Phil's.

fancybum wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:36 pm Really though I'd like this theory to keep developing until they've got not 2 flats, not even 3, but the entire building. Dan and Phil: Cowboy Landlords, coming soon.
You laugh now, but Dan said the apartment is on 9 floors!!!

But i have to say, it must suck for Phil to have all the video filming spaces be in his basement apartment, it must be filled with props and lights and filming equipment and cables. I know Dan has more subs but this isn't fair! Phil's older, what if he trips on one of those cables and falls and breaks his hip?!
At least Dan is nice enough to let him visit his fancy upstairs apartment from time to time to look at the pigeons on the balcony.
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

fancybum wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:36 pm
liola wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:27 pm But really, they've said the apartment is confusing and I believe it, because I think it was implied that there's another floor ABOVE the kitchen and lounge with the computer nook? I thought that's where the moon room is, because in the joint ls Phil said that he keeps forgetting to bring the cleaning wipes "upstairs" :shrug:
Oh shit this got dark real fast; what if Phil's got a whole Mrs Rochester situation going on with Janice.. :shock:
fondsmiles wrote:I think all this discussion about Janice is fair and important. But what really upsets me is how much we disregard Sabrina in their lives
damn now who's gonna write that 100k phanfic? dan finds out about mrs janice lester living in their attic right after japhan 2.0 aka their wedding and leaves phil in an instant, but instead of following the novel plot and living with an equivalent of the original fuckboy st. john rivers, dan files the lawsuit of the century, garners 90% of their profits and bank accounts, takes over IRL, successfully invests into jaguar cars, publishes a dirty tell-all book about phil, gets a job at a music magazine and designs a fashion line that is promoted by harry styles. after a year, harry styles asks him to marry him and go on tour with him, but in this very moment dan's phone hangs and plays back the first pinof all of a sudden. after hearing phil's voice, dan immediately jets back to london, but finds their apartment empty. following a few chapters of angst, it turns out that janice left phil to be with sabrina, and phil had to go to hospital because he stubbed all of his toes on his desk at the same time. they reconcile and live happily ever after. deppy and jabrina contently share custody of lola. the end.
thank's you were great
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Relatable tweet
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
fancybum
senpai

malday wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:32 pm Oh yeah, i forgot about the bathroom with the broken handle. I think that is definitely downstairs and is Phil's.

fancybum wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:36 pm Really though I'd like this theory to keep developing until they've got not 2 flats, not even 3, but the entire building. Dan and Phil: Cowboy Landlords, coming soon.
You laugh now, but Dan said the apartment is on 9 floors!!!

But i have to say, it must suck for Phil to have all the video filming spaces be in his basement apartment, it must be filled with props and lights and filming equipment and cables. I know Dan has more subs but this isn't fair! Phil's older, what if he trips on one of those cables and falls and breaks his hip?!
At least Dan is nice enough to let him visit his fancy upstairs apartment from time to time to look at the pigeons on the balcony.
I mean at least Phil's getting some action (he must be if he's knocking people up left and right). Is there space in all this madness for Dan's secret lover, George? There's clearly more than enough bedrooms to go around, let's throw the man a bone (ahem, so to speak).

lurker: that may not have been 100k but you really took me on a journey there, thank you
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

obscureDnPreference wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:46 pm Relatable tweet
Or is it a hint towards a new video coming this weekend? Hmm... :sherlock: (also thanks mods for bringing back so many of the old emojis!!)
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

confusedpanda wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:50 pmOr is it a hint towards a new video coming this weekend? Hmm... :sherlock: (also thanks mods for bringing back so many of the old emojis!!)
They'll all be back by the end of the day! :dildo: :noseperv: :pls:
autumnhearth
senpai

QuiteFriendly wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:26 pm
Around 3:43 i A Hungry sleepless night it looks the wall next the door is curved, like the bathroom is on the concave side of a curved wall.
It does indeed look like a concave curve, there is also a concave curve in one corner of the AP room and a small convex curve (not as round as the one in the upstairs lounge or in the moon room) on that dark grey wall where Phil is making the kool-aid. Their place appears to have many curves, in many rooms, on both levels (or however many levels they actually have).

Gosh you've got Phil's harem *and* their YouTube/IRL harem all in the same building? I wonder which one of them were the neighbors that complained about Phil feeding pigeons. Clearly Dan is concerned about one of Phil's wives being upset by him "exercising".

(I'm both amused and concerned that Phil's fictional lovers seem to mostly be female, or at least the most popular ones are female, while Dan's are male and mostly nameless, are they mostly one night stands, is there just a trail of Georges and Stephens, I don't feel like they're as personal as Janice and Sabrina, are there others we're forgetting?)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

autumnhearth wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:04 pm(I'm both amused and concerned that Phil's fictional lovers seem to mostly be female, or at least the most popular ones are female, while Dan's are male and mostly nameless, are they mostly one night stands, is there just a trail of Georges and Stephens, I don't feel like they're as personal as Janice and Sabrina, are there others we're forgetting?)
I think it's just because no one has gone to the trouble of writing out things they're trying to convince people are real about Dan and his male lovers, unlike the whole "Phil has a pregnant wife" thing that got so big in phandom that Dan and Phil did both comment on it.

I'm here for some ridiculous over the top theorizing about Dan and George-Stephen-whoever, though.
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Okay I have a question for y'all. What do you think of as Dan and Phil's most emotional/real/open video? And why?

On their main channels, not including their side channels, live shows, etc. I've heard a few people talk about ISG 2 as an emotional Dan video, but I don't really see that when I watch it. If someone wants to point out why they think that, please do!

Also, happy Friday!
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
SneakyLizard
butt chair

lurker wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:36 pman equivalent of the original fuckboy st. john rivers,
[Offtopic]
You are my favorite I love this so much and I can't stop laughing. :rofl: I'll never be able to read Jane Eyre without inappropriate cackling again![/Offtopic]
we walk among you
interruptfireworks
delia smith

obscureDnPreference wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:08 pm Okay I have a question for y'all. What do you think of as Dan and Phil's most emotional/real/open video? And why?

On their main channels, not including their side channels, live shows, etc. I've heard a few people talk about ISG 2 as an emotional Dan video, but I don't really see that when I watch it. If someone wants to point out why they think that, please do!

Also, happy Friday!
can't think of one for phil bc he v rarely shows any emotion on his main other than happy or his quirky branding but for dan i think it'd be an isg episode or the meaning of life video.

also not to rant but i s2g if dan makes one more of those 'oh my god i'm so relatable, i wear black & don't go outside' tweets after this long streak of them i feel as if i'll just about keel over like COME ON. does no one else find them at least a little bit annoying or irritating? honestly get 2nd hand embarrassment from them.
bee
phabergé

interruptfireworks wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:20 pm
obscureDnPreference wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:08 pm Okay I have a question for y'all. What do you think of as Dan and Phil's most emotional/real/open video? And why?

Also, happy Friday!
can't think of one for phil bc he v rarely shows any emotion on his main other than happy or his quirky branding but for dan i think it'd be an isg episode or the meaning of life video.

also not to rant but i s2g if dan makes one more of those 'oh my god i'm so relatable, i wear black & don't go outside' tweets after this long streak of them i feel as if i'll just about keel over like COME ON. does no one else find them at least a little bit annoying or irritating? honestly get 2nd hand embarrassment from them.
Emotional/serious Dan video A message to my younger self. Because there was some serious emotion involving himself but also towards his viewers I felt. Phil I don't know either. I feel like he's most open when he's doing (some) collabs. Maybe that's because then he has less control? and I feel like I can see more of him.

And yes Dan's 'not going outside- my soul is black' tweets annoy me. Maybe it's not my humour but I'm long over it.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Also, happy Friday!
In terms of Phil being emotional (or talking about emotions) this one always stands out to me:

(Also a reminder that Phil seems to have anxiety dreams a lot. Just like his constant headaches, it's something that he's mentioned one way or another basically since the beginning of his being a youtuber/on social media.)
blackdenim
procrastinator

Yep same. I hoped they would be gone with the rebrand. This aspect of Dan has always pissed me off, and I don't feel like he was always like that - it's part of this 'I'm just like you!' brand a lot of YouTubers seem to do, but when he first started YT he was fairly open about having a good group of friends, a job, having been in a relationship, etc,. and not being a 'full-time internet nerd who never goes outside'

I think the thing that annoys me most about this part of his persona is that it's patently not true. It's obvious he doesn't actually sit in a dark cave playing videogames and sitting on tumblr all day just because... he has to go to Jaguar panels, do secret projects, go for dinner with Bryony and Wirrow, etc.

At the end of the day, he's a 26 year old man with a highly successful career, a group of friends, a solid, long-term loving relationship (or if not, a really special life-long friendship), a lovely home and enough financial security to never worry about money again. If he was talking more explicitly about feeling depressed/anxious/agoraphobic etc despite all these things I would feel a lot more respect for him but as it stands it feels like he's just trying to be relatable to the teens in his audience and it comes across as disingenuous.

I think this is the most critical I've ever been of either of the boys! Those tweets do really grind my gears.
felucca
truth bomb

Also, happy Friday!
Good question!

For Dan I'd probably say "Message For My Younger Self". Frankly I hated that video because it felt like he tried to be very sincere and helpful while at the same time joking everything off and trying not to sound sincere at all, which makes for a very odd combination that makes that video wholly unwatchable to me. But I do believe he actually did try to be sincere behind all those self-conscious layers of "lol jk!" and that the video was a real step out of his comfort zone. A lot of his videos since then veer in that direction (more actually helpful advice in ISG, videos like "The Memeing of Life" where he in the same way kind of sort of tries to say something but at the same time absolutely not) and in connection to Tatinof he did talk A LOT in his liveshows about sincerity and being thankful and about his bleeding heart and about having a message... So I think he wants to be sincere/real/open in a way, but hasn't yet managed to figure out how.

Phil to me feels content with how much he shares with his audience, which isn't a lot. I'd say he was at his most open back in the day, 2006-2009, when it was more about community than fame, and then he became more guarded. He wasn't super open back then or anything, but he was more unguarded, featured his real life friends and family in videos and so on. (Moments that spring to mind are "I found a slinky" where he insinuates he's got a crush on someone and that video whatever it's called where he complains about his parents wanting him to get a real job.) Older Phil has been on the same level of not-so-open for a long time now and seems perfectly fine with it. Phil doesn't really do emotional/real/open videos and never really did let's be honest - however he does have some very real moments sprinkled throughout his videos, liveshows and gaming videos and I'm very fond of those.
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

:dh:
Elemancy
butt chair

Also, happy Friday!
For Dan I'd say his Meaning of Life video and for Phil I'd say The Island.
It plays out a bit like a day in the life and like a fluid stream of conciousness of what's going through Phil's head at the same time where you get a feel for the warmth of character and comfort he shows for his family during their outing together. He seems open and relaxed there while delightedly commenting on whatever captures his attention. It always gives me a nice warm/daydreaming/nostalgic feeling or it could just be the music and the way he filmed it, but that's the most emotional and open of his videos for me.
(I really hope he doesn't decide to one day delete it....)
Last edited by Elemancy on Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:dildo:
vincentian
hobbit hair

Also, happy Friday!
Phil's video Why I Can't Go Back To The Gym is as real as it gets :lol:

Actually though, I find the Phil In The Club video rather sincere, despite being a spon for the Rise Above campaign. He just tells a uni story about not giving in to peer pressure (and specifically alcohol) and cutting toxic friends out of your life. The story may be curated to fit the video, but still it sounded sincere, as something he has been through/is strongly opinionated about. Also not typical for AP content.
For Dan, I would agree that The Message For My Younger Self is one of the most sincere "recent" videos. With Dan though, I feel like there are some daring, sincere in emotion videos, even though the subjects are not necessarily personal so he doesn't really "open up".

And a million years too late, but I absolutely loved the gaming livestream from yesterday and can't wait for another one. :love2:
Last edited by vincentian on Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
citizen_erased
truth bomb

autumnhearth wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:04 pm
QuiteFriendly wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:26 pm
Around 3:43 i A Hungry sleepless night it looks the wall next the door is curved, like the bathroom is on the concave side of a curved wall.
It does indeed look like a concave curve, there is also a concave curve in one corner of the AP room and a small convex curve (not as round as the one in the upstairs lounge or in the moon room) on that dark grey wall where Phil is making the kool-aid. Their place appears to have many curves, in many rooms, on both levels (or however many levels they actually have).

Gosh you've got Phil's harem *and* their YouTube/IRL harem all in the same building? I wonder which one of them were the neighbors that complained about Phil feeding pigeons. Clearly Dan is concerned about one of Phil's wives being upset by him "exercising".

(I'm both amused and concerned that Phil's fictional lovers seem to mostly be female, or at least the most popular ones are female, while Dan's are male and mostly nameless, are they mostly one night stands, is there just a trail of Georges and Stephens, I don't feel like they're as personal as Janice and Sabrina, are there others we're forgetting?)
as someone who hasn't been *in* the fandom until recently (just watching videos), I have so many questions about these fictional lovers. I see the name Janice thrown around a lot but everytime I see it I'm just like ? :confused:

Loving all the theories about the apartment(s) layout though, top quality theorizing here :rofl:

(edited because I forgot to actually add enough words to my sentences so they make sense.)
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

felucca wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:05 pm
Phil to me feels content with how much he shares with his audience, which isn't a lot. I'd say he was at his most open back in the day, 2006-2009, when it was more about community than fame, and then he became more guarded. He wasn't super open back then or anything, but he was more unguarded, featured his real life friends and family in videos and so on. (Moments that spring to mind are "I found a slinky" where he insinuates he's got a crush on someone and that video whatever it's called where he complains about his parents wanting him to get a real job.) Older Phil has been on the same level of not-so-open for a long time now and seems perfectly fine with it. Phil doesn't really do emotional/real/open videos and never really did let's be honest - however he does have some very real moments sprinkled throughout his videos, liveshows and gaming videos and I'm very fond of those.
I was going to say pretty much exactly all this. :2thumbsup: Especially, there are moment here and there in most of his 2006-2009 videos, so if you watch through all those old ones, and consider them in aggregate, you do get a sense of Phil and his feelings.

This one, for example, has Phil talking about becoming a man and what to do with his life (note: this idea is referred to weeks later in one of the questions in pinof).

I've said here before that old-school Phil is my favorite Phil. <3
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
autumnhearth
senpai

interruptedbyfireworks you're definitely not alone. It annoys me as well and the husband positively can't stand it.

I agree with Dan's message to his younger self as being open and emotional, their reacting to childhood videos came to mind as well, but perhaps that's a bit of a copout. The Making of TABINOF and Festive DITL both have some open, emotional parts, though perhaps I'm confusing that with my own emotions/warm fuzzies.

I thought I had figured the relationship between two rooms, but when I saved both screenshots I realized two glaring errors with my theory.

The handles for the doors are on the wrong side for them to be the same door and I think that curve on the grey wall is significantly deeper than the one in the bathroom.

And here are some additional snug shots:

Reflection of the other side of the room in the glass wall. Do you think the pixel mirror is hanging on some sort of modern fireplace? The dark grey rectangular cuboid With a small square opening below. And then what is that shiny rectangular area beyond that? Could that be a kitchenette/wet bar?

Wondering if the wood next to the sofa is actually a ledge rather than a side table.
citizen_erased I forget which video Janice from the shop was mentioned in, but Phil jokes that he thinks he might be getting close to her or something, anyone recall? I have no idea where Sabrina is from originally, but she is mentioned by Dan as Phil's pregnant wife in a ls. He seemed quite amused.
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

blackdenim wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:46 pm
If he was talking more explicitly about feeling depressed/anxious/agoraphobic etc despite all these things I would feel a lot more respect for him but as it stands it feels like he's just trying to be relatable to the teens in his audience and it comes across as disingenuous.
I feel like the odd one out because I completely disagree with feeling annoyed with tweets like this. Nor do I agree with him needing to talk more about whatever he has just to have it "not to have it come across as disingenuous". Just because your successful and have everything you could ever want in life, does not mean you're exempt from having bad days or mental health. I don't know Dan, I don't know how he feels mentally but why wouldn't I give him the benefit of the doubt? There hasn't been any reason not too, just because someone says "oh I'm fine, I'm just joking" does not mean they totally are fine every-time (that's something so many people, myself included, would know all about). And in fact, Dan had talked about the things he's struggled with before a little. So yeah, I'll give the benefit of the doubt with stuff like this. I don't know him or his mental health so like, I can't judge him on it.

It kinda irritates me to see people across the phandom praising the idea of dan doing a mental health video but then is annoyed at him the moment he's "being too relatable/pandering to a teen audience". What exactly do you want someone to do when they don't wanna be extremely open with their mental health but still joke about it? This isn't a jab at anyone here, but more of a question.
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr