Anthony Padilla

weirdforces
smol bean

I felt like he deserves a topic after his emancipation from Smosh. I really like how he's started a self discovery story which will hopefully remain a topic in a few more videos. It's refreshing to see him use his knowledge of youtube culture to deconstruct common tropes with a lot of self awareness.

I wasn't the biggest fan of his Youtuber interviews video, not just because there was too little deppy :D, but because it seemed a bit long and could have been tighter but I really like in which direction he's going.

Btw does anyone know who filmed him in some scenes of his last video?
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

i like anthony! he's very funny and has a nice sense of humor. i could see myself watching his videos pretty often. in fact i saw the one he uploaded today lol. it was funny! a lot of his humor reminds me a lot of like, older smosh.
:transheart:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

I actually bailed on his video today before it was half over, and completely couldn't watch the last one with Joey Graceffa. Erggggh. C'mon, Anthony. I wanna like your videos. I'm rooting for you.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

alittledizzy wrote:I actually bailed on his video today before it was half over, and completely couldn't watch the last one with Joey Graceffa. Erggggh. C'mon, Anthony. I wanna like your videos. I'm rooting for you.
I stuck it out to the end hoping for a funny ending. Spoiler alert: the end wasn't funny either. I didn't watch the one with Joey either but the one on Joey's channel I enjoyed. They did the best friend quiz.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
DatCog
blobfish

Don't watch the Joey collab on Anthony's channel...I did and I'm still mentally scarred :wahh:

However, I've enjoyed Anthony's other recent videos and hope he continues to do well and I'll continue to remain subscribed. Just no more trypophobia-triggering stuff please!!
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

I don't actually like most of Anthony's videos but I really appreciate him being serious for once and sharing his struggles with anxiety. I didn't watch the bit he put a trigger warning on so I can't tell how bad it was, but the rest of the video is heartfelt and probably resonates with many.

citizen_erased
truth bomb

somethingsketchy wrote:I don't actually like most of Anthony's videos but I really appreciate him being serious for once and sharing his struggles with anxiety. I didn't watch the bit he put a trigger warning on so I can't tell how bad it was, but the rest of the video is heartfelt and probably resonates with many.

I'm really loving Anthony's videos (I'm also one of the very, very few people around who had only vaguely heard the name smosh mentioned and definitely didn't know Anthony AT ALL until deppy collabed with him). Didn't watch the Joey video, but that's 100% because I just really dislike Joey.

The panic attacks video was interesting, though it felt a bit unfinished for me. The bit he put the tw on wasn't too bad for me, but then, my experience with panic attacks is a bit different so although I recognized bits of it, it otherwise didn't do much for me (luckily). I'm glad he opened up about this though. I hear so, so many youtubers talk about anxiety & panic attacks but rarely do I see them as honest and raw as this video.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

i watched his video about panic attacks and i really admire him being brave and being able to put himself out there like that and open up about his experiences. not a whole lot of youtubers do that.
:transheart:
smol beans
squish

i just thought i'd share this photo on here as well if you didn't see it on their current thread.

i really thought this was dan for a second.
tbh didn't think they look that much alike. especially recently with their wavy/curls and just their overall face structure.
even in their video about joking they looked alike i didn't think of it.
maybe if they had done that video 2 years ago, dan circa 2014-2015ish when they both had their straight hair.
but certain angles and facial expressions they do look quite alike!
eXcUsE mE?
whut is the opposite of s m o l , halppy, yellow sun?
AroboticPhil
sad dimple
Pronouns: she

So, I like Anthony, cool guy etc but he posted this video today :

[YouTube]https://youtu.be/do-9G1s9LSY[/YouTube]

and I can't tell if I'm overreacting or not so I'd figure I ask for your opinions so yeah :
I'm a slightly bit uncomfortable/annoyed at a straight guy trying to make fun of straight guys that way ? Like idk I guess I feel like it's something queer people do -be like "ugh straight people" light heartedly- to try and compensate for all the actual not light and awful shit we have to go through every day and because internet is the one place where we don't feel in a position of inferiority.
So when Anthony does it, it kinda feels to me like he's trying to distance himself from the Straight Manly Dude Guy Bro Type by making fun of them but... i mean in the end he still has the exact same privilege as them ?
It's like when men are the first ones to criticise other men for being sexist, to make it look like they're not like that, that they're Nice Guys, when really they do nothing to stop the patriarchal system from which they actually keep profiting.

I mean with Anthony, it's obviously not that deep i know lmao (and he didn't actually do or say anything offensive, I'm just not sure I'm on board with his whole "straight dude puts on make-up and makes fun of straight dudes" thing ? or at least i don't really get it ?)

But yeah even without talking about Anthony and more in a general discussion context, how do you guys feel about that kind of thing like men making whole things about how men are trash etc ?
(sorry I don't really know if this post makes sense haha)
nephilimcat
woodland creature

AroboticPhil wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:31 pm So, I like Anthony, cool guy etc but he posted this video today :

and I can't tell if I'm overreacting or not so I'd figure I ask for your opinions so yeah :
I'm a slightly bit uncomfortable/annoyed at a straight guy trying to make fun of straight guys that way ? Like idk I guess I feel like it's something queer people do -be like "ugh straight people" light heartedly- to try and compensate for all the actual not light and awful shit we have to go through every day and because internet is the one place where we don't feel in a position of inferiority.
So when Anthony does it, it kinda feels to me like he's trying to distance himself from the Straight Manly Dude Guy Bro Type by making fun of them but... i mean in the end he still has the exact same privilege as them ?
It's like when men are the first ones to criticise other men for being sexist, to make it look like they're not like that, that they're Nice Guys, when really they do nothing to stop the patriarchal system from which they actually keep profiting.

I mean with Anthony, it's obviously not that deep i know lmao (and he didn't actually do or say anything offensive, I'm just not sure I'm on board with his whole "straight dude puts on make-up and makes fun of straight dudes" thing ? or at least i don't really get it ?)

But yeah even without talking about Anthony and more in a general discussion context, how do you guys feel about that kind of thing like men making whole things about how men are trash etc ?
(sorry I don't really know if this post makes sense haha)
I think it's a good thing when straight guys also distance themselves from the stereotype of the manly dudebro. If they are genuine and actually think it's ridiculous how men are expected to act, which I think applies to Anthony. Sure, he still has this privilege of being a straight cis man and it's important to keep that in mind but let's also not forget the effect toxic masculinity can have on boys and men. I think it might help more feminine guys when they see a straight guy making fun of straight, manly dudebros.

I for one was very surprised that Anthony actually didn't make himself look bad on purpose. I don't know much about makeup but it didn't feel like he had no idea what he was doing, especially when he filled in the eyebrows and used a beauty blender. And I certainly wouldn't have the guts to put fake lashes on like he did, holy shit! Either his girlfriend gave him lessons and he practiced a bit for this video or he actually uses some makeup in his daily life.

I just generally think people should be allowed to make fun of people from their own privileged group as it helps to ridicule people who have toxic and harmful beliefs.
pulvis et umbra sumus
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

I agree with nephilimcat. I think it's never a bad thing when people make fun of gender roles and social expectations because it helps to reduce them. Yes, Anthony is straight and has loads of straight guy privileges but if he uses those privileges to help fight gender roles and stuff it's a good thing in my opinion. I like what he's doing. I think if more popular youtubers, no matter if queer or straight, would make videos like this it could make a real difference and change what young people think about gender, sexuality etc. I wouldn't even say he's making fun of straight men. I think he's making fun of what society thinks a straight man should act like. I know it's all jokey and stuff but yeah, Anthony, go and normalise men wearing make-up and using face products. :D tl;dr: I think he's doing quite well!
Reizam
butt chair

Definitely agree with nephilimcat.

I think it's a good thing when anyone in a position of privilege is cognizant about it, and can comment on or make fun of that very same group. For example, my boyfriend is a straight male who is very passionate about feminism, and will make comments about how shitty men are (especially after listening to experiences from female friends). Personally, I really love and appreciate that he's not only aware of these gender issues, but also cares enough to be vocal about it publicly.

If we follow the belief that one shouldn't make disparaging comments about their own group because they also happen to benefit from that privilege, then the other option is to remain silent. It may seem like talking about it doesn't do anything to improve the system, but it's much more productive to generate conversation than to not speak up at all.
twix
butt chair

anthony is enough of an annoying straight person that it's a reason i'm not subscribed to him, but i don't have a problem with this particular video. he's making fun of other straight dudes and he did makeup that (up until the lipstick and eyelashes) is what he probably does do for a video or photoshoot or whatever.
anthony in twix's head wrote:Hey, i am STRAIGHT but i swear i'm not homophobic and i'm so down with the gays i'm going to prove it to you by QUEERBAITING.
other notes:
  • did anthony somehow end up receiving a kat von d promotional kit?
  • i know The Youths (TM) are into all things 80s these days but that lighting was atrocious
  • speaking of lighting, the way the ring light was set up made him look like he was wearing novelty contacts
anthony aside, i don't like how in general discussion about gender and cosmetics trends towards telling dudes it's ok to buy/wear cosmetics rather than normalizing women not wearing makeup. (I 3000% do not want anthony or any other man to make video about the latter but i'm irritated that it's a pattern i see; capitalism is awful.)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm very wary about his whole "cocktober" video series as a premise. This video specifically might not have been awful but I have not been a fan of Anthony's queerbait-y vibe from the start of his solo career so I'm not quite ready to give him an across the board okay based on this first video alone.

(I'm also a little bit frustrated in a way I can't figure out how to articulate about his whole analysis of autumn things are things girls like and he's a straight guy so here's what straight guys like. I feel like he's kind of narrowing the whole spectrum down to Girl! or Straight guy! for the sake of a video series.)
000dia000
emo goose

To be fair, I get what Anthony's trying to do, and I don't think he means any harm. Also, I don't get why he should be excluded from things like making fun of straight people/men when he is the latter. Doesn't change come about when people identify the problem? Doesn't change come about by inviting in people and talking about these things? Surely, Anthony has reason to joke about these things to his audience.

Some of the reasoning you guys have makes it come across that you are in a bubble and you want things to stay in that bubble, that if mainstream culture or the typical white/straight/cis man spoke about these issues, and made fun of toxic masculinity etc. then they have no right? Isn't the best way to fix issues in society is to engage the core demographic concerned into it (in this situation men, particularly straight) rather than sneering from the outside on your high horses?
:cactus:
tigertatze
living flop

twix wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:30 pm anthony aside, i don't like how in general discussion about gender and cosmetics trends towards telling dudes it's ok to buy/wear cosmetics rather than normalizing women not wearing makeup. (I 3000% do not want anthony or any other man to make video about the latter but i'm irritated that it's a pattern i see; capitalism is awful.)
:stan: :stan: :stan:
#nohetero
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

000dia000 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:38 pm To be fair, I get what Anthony's trying to do, and I don't think he means any harm. Also, I don't get why he should be excluded from things like making fun of straight people/men when he is the latter. Doesn't change come about when people identify the problem? Doesn't change come about by inviting in people and talking about these things? Surely, Anthony has reason to joke about these things to his audience.
I don't think Anthony means much harm with anything he's doing, but that also doesn't mean I have to love what he's doing just because he doesn't mean harm. He's really good at doing something and then joking that he's doing it as a way to alleviate negative attention, but it doesn't change the fact that he actually is still doing it. (Like the thumbnail where he looks like he's going to kiss Joey, or the male silhouette on the date with the youtuber thing. Both have context! That you have to click the video to see.)

Anthony just seems to be feeling around to see what will actually make his new channel work - the views are pretty dismal for someone of his stature in the community - and I'm pulling a face at some of the different ~flavors of video style he's sampled. But I am waiting to see what else this series brings before I fully decide how meh I really feel about it.
malday
emo goose

I also agree that he's trying things out, and seems not to really know what to stick with.
His content is not entertaining to me, good luck to him anyway.

But i like his girlfriend, Miel, i think she is funnier than he is.
alch
ar·tic·u·late

malday wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:57 pm I also agree that he's trying things out, and seems not to really know what to stick with.
His content is not entertaining to me, good luck to him anyway.
I find some of his videos entertaining, but he does seem like he's still trying to figure out what his style is after stopping using the Smosh basic mold.
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

i think the reason why anthony's makeup video didn't work for me is that if i didn't see the cocktober introduction and knew nothing about him, i'd be left pretty much clueless what it's supposed to make fun of. is it meant to criticize social stigma of men who like non-stereotypically male things? or is it a parody of straight men themselves? why does he repeatedly emphasize that he himself is straight -- again, is it a parody of straight men? is it meant to make fun of people who assume a man who wears makeup can't be straight? poking fun at his audience? or is it sarcasm? if it was the first video i ever saw of anthony, i'd even be wary that the joke was supposed to be "lol i'm a man who's wearing makeup, funny right?". or is it even meant to be funny in the first place?

to reiterate what has been said, it's Not That Deep and i can definitely see a good intention behind it, but the way the makeup video was executed didn't do it for me personally.
thank's you were great
tigertatze
living flop

I just opened Youtube and the first thing I see is Anthony's vid titled "Pu**y Scented Candle", clicked unsubscribe and closed the app..
:facepalm:
#nohetero
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

............ nope, no thanks, Anthony.

Honestly, @lurker's comment seems super appropriate now. If this is supposed to be a parody it's not actually clear who he is parodying.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

This reads really pretentiously and weirdly to me, and it kinda pisses me off, especially since I really liked his solo content to start with and now every video falls really flat for me. I understand what kind of humour he's attempting right now, but I just don't think he does it effectively at all, and the fact that he made this post about it, especially since I'm sure the confused people are just wondering why and how his recent videos are considered humorous. Idk this post rubs me the wrong way entirely.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

obsessivelymoody wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:08 pm Image

This reads really pretentiously and weirdly to me, and it kinda pisses me off, especially since I really liked his solo content to start with and now every video falls really flat for me. I understand what kind of humour he's attempting right now, but I just don't think he does it effectively at all, and the fact that he made this post about it, especially since I'm sure the confused people are just wondering why and how his recent videos are considered humorous. Idk this post rubs me the wrong way entirely.
That is real pretentious considering he's struggling to get 150k views on a video right now.