Dan & Phil Part 57: Pinky and the Brain

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
obvsly
#relatable
Pronouns: she/her

katemko wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:59 am The more I read all your responses the more I go "aw shit. yeah this is worse than i thought" and i worry if i'm a terrible WOC if i continue to stick by their side like a leech. i don't think quitting them altogether is the answer until we have more info, but i'm also not black or jewish. i don't have an eloquent way to end this. i dunno.
Ah...shoot. This is me exactly. I've asked myself now what would make me quit them immediately. Maybe if they actually DO what Felix did, I would. I don't blame them completely for the casual association just yet, though I realized it is disappointing because of how 'casual' it seems.. I didn't feel offended when the monolid debacle happened (despite being one myself) but I also felt people were justified in feeling so. It's quite confusing, I know.

But anyway, I enjoyed Phil's new video. He always makes me happy. :mrgreen:
blackdenim
procrastinator

somethingsketchy wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:47 am
anonymousdork wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:31 am
missemma wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:34 pm
LtrllySusan wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:13 pm The two flat theory can definitely be updated after this - there are two intercoms (or whatever you call that 'phone' that answers the doorbell). How big do places have to be to justify mutiple of those? It's the same model though, so definitely same flat/building. Also, that metal roll container at 6:37 is hideous :lol:
Haha this was the only thing I took from the video, flat speculation. That and the fact they must have had a washing machine changed as there is a box behind that hideous metal thing!
Other than that I think Phil should get a spon deal with Firebox. He spends a lot of money there.
woah, this is news to me - is this an actual theory, that they have two flats? What does that imply about their relationship? Sorry, I've just never heard this before... :o
It was an actual theory discussed here back in September, though you can see how it quickly escalated into something less serious. :lol:
I've decided I am IDB's resident 'two flat truther': I will defend this theory to the death.

I am convinced there are 2 flats now but I've shifted to think it's one for home and one for work and that they might not be in the same block. 2 intercoms is actual indisputable proof for me. Why would you need 2 intercoms in one flat? Do you have two doorbells in your house? NO. See!?!?! :illuminati: :tinfoil: :illuminati: :tinfoil:

PS I am 'enjoying' reading the discourse on Felix. Everyone has good points and I can genuinely see both sides but my personal stance is still 'disappointed' and it soured my enjoyment of Phil's video (although I am still contemplating getting that demon costume and going to a halloween party as some kind of demon girlfriend and boyfriend).

To the person that asked why people aren't disappointed in Marzia for still going out with him: I actually am. I mean they've been together for a long time so I guess I didn't expect her to leave him really, but it still reflects badly on her. However I don't watch her/read my blog so it affects me less.

Honestly the person I am most disappointed in is PJ, who is still clearly close friends with Felix. It's not a good look for him either.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

blackdenim wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:50 am I've decided I am IDB's resident 'two flat truther': I will defend this theory to the death.

I am convinced there are 2 flats now but I've shifted to think it's one for home and one for work and that they might not be in the same block. 2 intercoms is actual indisputable proof for me. Why would you need 2 intercoms in one flat? Do you have two doorbells in your house? NO. See!?!?! :illuminati: :tinfoil: :illuminati: :tinfoil:
Briefly emerging from my cave of sadness, disappointment and personal reflection to weigh in on two-flat-gate. What confuses me about the theory is surely if they had two flats, and one was for work while the other was for home, they'd only film in one of them. Doesn't filming in both of them defeat their purpose? I would have thought that they'd film from their work flat and keep the other one private, so it doesn't make sense to me for them to film from both if the point of having two was so that they could keep one completely hidden from view.

And back I go into my cave of deliberation and heartbreak :snow:
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

blackdenim wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:50 am
somethingsketchy wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:47 am
anonymousdork wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:31 am
missemma wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:34 pm
LtrllySusan wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:13 pm The two flat theory can definitely be updated after this - there are two intercoms (or whatever you call that 'phone' that answers the doorbell). How big do places have to be to justify mutiple of those? It's the same model though, so definitely same flat/building. Also, that metal roll container at 6:37 is hideous :lol:
Haha this was the only thing I took from the video, flat speculation. That and the fact they must have had a washing machine changed as there is a box behind that hideous metal thing!
Other than that I think Phil should get a spon deal with Firebox. He spends a lot of money there.
woah, this is news to me - is this an actual theory, that they have two flats? What does that imply about their relationship? Sorry, I've just never heard this before... :o
It was an actual theory discussed here back in September, though you can see how it quickly escalated into something less serious. :lol:
I've decided I am IDB's resident 'two flat truther': I will defend this theory to the death.

They are rich so I wouldn't use normal people standards to make sense of their situation. They might have two intercoms simply because their place has two floors, or maybe there could even be two entrances. I've been in one-level flats with two entrances so it doesn't strike me as impossible for them to have two in a duplex. Even if they only had one entrance, Phil could clearly be heard opening a door and talking to a delivery worker downstairs in Dan's liveshow two weeks ago.

I'm still not buying the two-flat theory. I just think that D&P are rich and living in a rich people flat with comforts that average people haven't necessarily got. Plus, I agree with everything captainspacecoat said while I was writing this post.
blackdenim
procrastinator

I thought my use of emojis showed I was being tongue in cheek with the intercoms being proof - if you live in a fancy flat on 2 floors there definitely might be more than one intercom!

I do genuinely think they have 2 flats though - there's better evidence than intercoms for that, such as 2 kitchens, it being impossible to work out how the flat fits together and there being different types of wood on the door/window frames on the 'different floors'.

I think they might have tried to keep one for work and one for home and that's why they said we'd only see certain bits of the new place (the bits in the work flat) but obviously they've shown us more than they said they would - maybe they just filmed, etc at home a lot more than they expected to, through laziness or habit or whatever.

I know it's a completely crackpot theory but it's MY crackpot theory and I'm sticking with it until it's undisputably disproved!
drago
tol bean

Or maybe they just live separately in different flats. It would explain the "If I don't go outside for three days, will you just break into MY apartment and help me out?" from Dan's last video.
onetruetrash
blobfish

I've never believed that Dan and Phil have two flats. No one has shown me any sufficient evidence for the theory. (Though feel free to show me the proof.) I think Dan and Phil just have a large flat with a layout that's confusing if you don't live there. I don't see a motive for why they would do it either, because they are incredibly close. You rarely even see them leave the house without one another, so why would they live apart? And they wouldn't be doing it for privacy, since they've filmed "both flats". I just don't buy it.
autumnhearth
senpai

Apartment discourse is my favorite, but I don’t even care. The pain is palpable in this community and I feel like I’m going through stages of grief. I tweeted at the boys, but they’ll probably never see. I’ve never engaged in the ls, but those that have, please let them know how we’re feeling. Sending lots of love.
DatCog
blobfish

They live in one duplex flat, I'm convinced! I think I must have missed the discussion about the two kitchens - how do we know they have two kitchens? There's definitely one in the main lounge area but where's the other one? Perhaps the flat was originally designed with a kind of granny annexe or accommodation for a live-in carer which would account for the two kitchens. It's very unusual for a flat though!

Not much I can add to the Felix discussion...I just feel sad and disappointed with the whole business. I've been feeling sad about PJ for quite a while due to his ongoing association with Felix and I struggle to enjoy his content now which is a shame because I think he's amazingly talented. Going to wait and see what happens with D&P and whether they address the issue at all but it has certainly tarnished the fondness I was feeling towards both of them after Dan's MH video the other week :(
rainydays
sofa crease

I also disagree with the two flats theory. I just don't see why they would pay rent for two flats if they intend to use one for work and then not actually do it and use both. It would be even more unlikely for the two flats to be actually separated.. I can't see them going back and forth between the two to film different parts of the same video.
I also disagree with the idea of them living separately. I think there's too much evidence that they live together and not enough of the opposite, not to mention that living together is probably the most convenient thing for them at the moment. Besides I don't believe everything dan says in his sketches should be taken that literally.
In conclusion, I think it's far more likely that they have a much bigger flat than we thought. After all, they did move because they needed more space. It's not at all weird to have two of many things, like two bathrooms (this is actually pretty standard), two kitchens, two balconies and two intercoms. I definitely support the duplex theory.
I don't really know the usual layout of flats in London though, so I guess I might be wrong.
Last edited by rainydays on Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
dansnose
delia smith
Pronouns: she/ her

hey i posted here like twice? early 2017 and was very invested in lurking but fell out of it in april and only now caught up with the last few pages!

anyways, im fairly certain they have two intercomes since this is a duplex with two floors.
it’s also possible that they rented a duplex that’s actually two flats combined with built in stairs. i used to have a friend who had a fancy penthouse (her mom had, at least) and they actually combined two apartments that are right next to each other to create a giant apartment so everything is a possibility....

i just can’t see these two living apart it doesn’t make sense not even one bit.
also can’t see them having a “work” flat that is not physically right next to the “home” flat since if they were to travel between flats we’d see more pics of them out and about you know?
so i think they divided the duplex somehow to vaguely separate work and home but they’re fairly used to having no separation so they don’t care all that much.

it makes much more sense that two intercoms = two floors = two doors if you ask me.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

I didn't think them actually living apart was still up for discussion :lol: With two flat theory I meant the idea of a work flat and living flat that are possibly (and likely) connected.

The part about the intercoms that confuses me is the layout. I would assume that the hallway that Phil slides into DMs in is the hallway that also connects to the staircase that he's walking up with the costume. The gaming room, a bathroom (that Phil checked his contacts in) and Phil's room all seem to connect to that hallway, so it would only make sense if the stairs are there too. But that would mean that the two intercoms are really close together, one in the hallway downstairs and one directly up the stairs?

The weirdest part to me about the downstairs/upstairs/two flats is how different they look. How stylish and open and bright upstairs is and how crammed and weird downstairs (and that metal staircase) looks. Maybe it's 9 floors after all, who knows.
actualsoulmates
dank meme

thoughts?
:prideheart2: once in twenty lifetimes :biheart:
Ilovethemohyesido
living flop

foreverhome wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:09 pm thoughts?
Halloween?
flurry
living flop

Just coming back to this forum to say that I went to ikea today (in Singapore) and found Phil's bedsheets.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Oh dear, don't tell me that person who was also on here pretending to be an insider made a twitter account.
I can make 42 twitter accounts and tweet "Dan is uploading tonight" until one day I am right and then everyone can assume I am a fortuneteller.

I mean you can laugh at me if I am wrong in 11 days but I am not buying any of this :D
rainydays
sofa crease

Oh no please, never believe those "expose accounts". I've been in lots of fandoms and there are always people who claim to have insider info, but I promise you they're always always trolls who want attention and know nothing.
malday
emo goose

foreverhome wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:09 pm
thoughts?
Someone's bored and looking for attention again. It's the favorite pastime activity in this fandom.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:48 am
ijustwantdeath wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:18 am
captainspacecoat wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:30 pm
lurker wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:01 pm as many others, i'm in a weird headspace right now and i haven't really figured out yet what to think. i've said before that i'd draw the line at them interacting publicly with felix in a way that sends the message that it's okay to condone good behaviour. however, the scenario i had in mind was more like "they collab with him or dan calls him something diminishing like problematic dad again and i stop watching their content". dan's statement in the ls originally made me feel like that wasn't the case, but the photo does cross the line i set, doesn't it? even is it's not the worst case scenario and even if the meetup was about marzia and even if they didn't post or retweet the picture. and that sucks so much especially after dan's latest video, and i can't find a way to reconcile with it (except wishing it never happened, lmao). it just really, really sucks and i'm disappointed.
I really feel you. I can't bring myself to watch Phil's video because the whole Felix thing has left such a sour taste in my mouth, and I can't stop thinking about it. And it's such a shitty feeling, because just a day and a half ago everything was so good and I felt so fondly about them, and I was so excited for Spooky Week and everything else that was to come. And now I just feel gross, and I don't know how to reconcile what's happened with the love I felt for them before (and still do feel now, really). Especially as my life is so stressful right now and there are a lot of difficult things going on, so Dan and Phil would usually provide an excellent distraction from all that. My dream scenario is that in Dan's liveshow they get bombarded with people criticising them for this and they're forced to address it and apologise, but it's just not realistic lol.

Never in my life have I wished they lurked on IDB, but right now there's nothing I want more than for them to read our conversations on here over the past day or so.
You're not alone. Not to dampen down anyone's joy but I didn't smile once through out the entirety of the new video. It felt weird and gross to turn the other cheek and pretend the entire situation never happened. But that's exactly what's going to happen. They're the kings of ignoring issues so they're probably not going to address it in their liveshows and if they do, it's going to be vague and planned - "oh yeah, marzia's party, that was fun, we played truth bombs and watched some horror, definitely not gonna bring up the fact that we spent a weekend with a racist ha ha". And the phandom will follow through, wait till the next gaming video with 3 seconds of eye contact or an innuendo and the whole issue will be brushed under the rug won't it?

All that was going on in the back of my mind while watching it was that phil can dish out a half assed video and still get north of a million views while other poc creators who put in considerably more effort don't get even half the views (eg, nathen zed) and if that isn't the definition of privilege then idk what is tbh. (not saying phil doesn't put in effort in his content or that there aren't other factors to his success, just that this video wasn't particularly his best and there's definitely a reason why most top youtubers are white.)

I just really hope this atmosphere of bitterness and lack of clarity doesn't last for too long and spoil spooky week and halloween baking for me, as dnp are a safe space that i cherish. But then again as a poc, i can't really stand to stan people who think of racism as an excusable character flaw and further contribute to a system that normalizes this behavior. whatever i guess, what more could I expect from two rich white men who live in a bubble and go to parties with other rich white men.

:furtivehug: hugs to anyone else who might feel the same way
I am sort of viewing this like making a friend and realizing you haven't seen every side of them until the first time you fight. I've enjoyed Dan and Phil, and what they've brought to my life - but this is making me evaluate exactly what sort of distance I need to hold them at emotionally. (On my end, of course - I'm nothing to them so the whole dynamic is one sided.) I was hinging a lot on the fact that in my time in fandom all their previous bad behavior seemed... well, in the past? And that they'd grown as people and both hit a level of maturity and social awareness. I now have to own up to how conditional that is and while I think that I will eventually continue to enjoy their content, the highs aren't gonna be quite as high and I'll probably be a lot less willing to actually defend them and support them and give them the benefit of the doubt when in previous situations I might have done.
All of this, yes. At the moment I'm ignoring it to be honest - not for their sake but for mine. D&P have been my go to Youtube channels for almost five years now and I don't want to give them up like that but at the same time I'm just extremely disappointed. And I think at least some of that disappointment stems from thinking they were better than this based on the way they presented themselves/their online selves over the last few months. Thing is I used to be really sure D&P were aware enough not to do problematic things. But right now I'm really not so sure anymore which makes me reconsider a lot of situations in the past when I have defended them because I was so sure they would never intentionally do something harmful. But right now? They, especially Dan, talk about social issues a lot but I just can't be sure he actually means what he says anymore. Because if he does how does still hanging out with Felix makes sense? And that leads me to a lot of other stuff I didn't question in the past but now I kinda have to. It's just such an uncomfortable situation that will probably never get resolved because D&P don't talk about stuff like that, they just pretend it didn't happen.
onetruetrash
blobfish

foreverhome wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:09 pm thoughts?
I don't think anyone actually thinks this person is an insider, I think everyone is just messing around, ya know? Maybe this person is being serious or maybe they're not, who knows.
allsaintshowell
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

they're looking for suggestions for spooky week over on facebook! :skeleton:
Image Image
thewaytobehappy
squish

Please play a game of the Devil Came Through saga, guys. They’re so good.
kusunoki masashige
butt chair

Hm, I wanted to stay out of this, (especially since I didn't post in forever) but the doomsday mood on here is getting so severe, I thought the opinion of someone who didn't get disenchanted with the boys by this whole thing wouldn't hurt.

The thing is, you're all saying that if somebody does something hurtful and shitty, all his decent friends should just cut him out of their lives immediately? Leaving a guy with 50 million subscribers with only racist friends to influence him? How does this make anything any better?
And I know you all see them as "public figures" but at the same time they are still just some guys, some human beings, socially awkward ones at that. I, for one, wouldn't know how to completely cut someone out of my life who is tangled with my friends group. Phil has been friends with PJ for more than ten years now, and I do believe that the three of them do really click very well, and since they only get the chance to meet a couple of times a year and most of PJs social life in Brighton seems to include Felix and Marcia these days, cutting Felix (and not to forget Marcia since they're a package deal much like deppy) would practically mean mostly ending the friendship with PJ.

I'm just a bit confused about the strength of your reactions. Of course, I'm not feeling too happy about them hanging out with Felix either, but it's still not them saying that it is okay to say that word. And a lot of you seemed to only get really disappointed when the picture surfaced, although we knew they would meet since a few days before that. So what, you would be more ok with it if they had refused to be in the picture? Going all "sorry birthday girl, we will still hang out with you but we don't want to be in a photo with your boyfriend so our image on social media won't get soiled"? (I get that most of you are disappointed that apparently they don't see or care how them meeting up with Felix might send the message to some people that they think what Felix did wasn't so bad. But again, they aren't politicians, they are just human beings. life is complicated.) It's not like they mentioned their hanging out with Felix on any of their own platforms, so it's not like they're condoning his behavior publicly. Not that that's what I would consider a mere picture with him. They just mentioned the birthday party on the liveshow, which means only to people like us who would have found out anyways.

But then, I don't get the whole "role model" thing anyway, I never expected anybody to be without fault, even as a kid I didn't really "look up to" any celebrity. Why do people care that much about what some celebrity is thinking? Maybe I was a strange kid, but I think my role models were my parents? I like the guys because they're funny, I feel entertained by them, I think they're generally good people and I came to care about their wellbeing a lot. But they don't need to be morally superior to the average person for me to feel this way. Considering the extreme reactions of a lot of you guys here, I'm just wondering what kind of transcendental beings the boys were in your head before all of this happened.
bluntedclaws
rainbow nerd

kusunoki masashige wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:54 pm Hm, I wanted to stay out of this, (especially since I didn't post in forever) but the doomsday mood on here is getting so severe, I thought the opinion of someone who didn't get disenchanted with the boys by this whole thing wouldn't hurt.

The thing is, you're all saying that if somebody does something hurtful and shitty, all his decent friends should just cut him out of their lives immediately? Leaving a guy with 50 million subscribers with only racist friends to influence him? How does this make anything any better?
And I know you all see them as "public figures" but at the same time they are still just some guys, some human beings, socially awkward ones at that. I, for one, wouldn't know how to completely cut someone out of my life who is tangled with my friends group. Phil has been friends with PJ for more than ten years now, and I do believe that the three of them do really click very well, and since they only get the chance to meet a couple of times a year and most of PJs social life in Brighton seems to include Felix and Marcia these days, cutting Felix (and not to forget Marcia since they're a package deal much like deppy) would practically mean mostly ending the friendship with PJ.

I'm just a bit confused about the strength of your reactions. Of course, I'm not feeling too happy about them hanging out with Felix either, but it's still not them saying that it is okay to say that word. And a lot of you seemed to only get really disappointed when the picture surfaced, although we knew they would meet since a few days before that. So what, you would be more ok with it if they had refused to be in the picture? Going all "sorry birthday girl, we will still hang out with you but we don't want to be in a photo with your boyfriend so our image on social media won't get soiled"? (I get that most of you are disappointed that apparently they don't see or care how them meeting up with Felix might send the message to some people that they think what Felix did wasn't so bad. But again, they aren't politicians, they are just human beings. life is complicated.) It's not like they mentioned their hanging out with Felix on any of their own platforms, so it's not like they're condoning his behavior publicly. Not that that's what I would consider a mere picture with him. They just mentioned the birthday party on the liveshow, which means only to people like us who would have found out anyways.

But then, I don't get the whole "role model" thing anyway, I never expected anybody to be without fault, even as a kid I didn't really "look up to" any celebrity. Why do people care that much about what some celebrity is thinking? Maybe I was a strange kid, but I think my role models were my parents? I like the guys because they're funny, I feel entertained by them, I think they're generally good people and I came to care about their wellbeing a lot. But they don't need to be morally superior to the average person for me to feel this way. Considering the extreme reactions of a lot of you guys here, I'm just wondering what kind of transcendental beings the boys were in your head before all of this happened.
Yes.
Sorry if I say something wrong. My first language is sarcasm. I've never really learned English
thewaytobehappy
squish

Thank you for your eloquent comment kusonoki. Said it a lot better then I ever could.