If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

I'm so glad were back on the "DS cartridge" discussion as I had been meaning to get back ti this! I agree they don't seem to me to be cartridges or oyster cards. Not even wet wipes as they are just too square (unless Uk has different packaging?
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
onetruetrash
blobfish

This is an interesting one because I honestly can't pinpoint where exactly my obsession with them began unlike my past fandom's where a switch just went off in my head. This one was far more gradual.

I began watching them in March 2016 because I saw a bunch of people on Instagram talking about them. This was right after they really seemed to blow up in 2015. I decided to start at the beginning and I watched all of the Phil is not on fire videos that everyone was raving about. I knew people shipped them and I was kinda suspicious after watching the first pinof, but never actually went searching for proof. I immediately began watching through all of their videos. I went to read some fanfictions ironically (shipping real life people seemed ridiculous to me at the time) and I ended up genuinely shipping them.

My interest in them faded for a couple of months until I randomly decided to look them up again and I watched Dan's video "I Nearly Blinded Myself" and I was hooked. I somehow came across a video (that I believe is deleted now) showing some of their 2009 dailybooth posts and the rest is history.
garlic
smol bean

It's very interesting to read everyones experiences! :)

For me "shipping them" was the whole reason I found out about them in the first place.
I waffled on for a long time so I will hide the long version to not annoy anyone who is not interested in all the nitty gritty details and just wants to get the gist:
Sometime around February 2016 I was procrastinating from learning for my college exams and watched a Tumblr Tag video from another youtuber who of course did not credit Phil for the idea :roll: I then watched all of the recommended Tumblr Tag videos and stumbled upon Phils "TUMBLR TAG 3! (With Dan)" video.
Apart from not crediting Phil what all of these videos have in common is that the Youtuber in it was being shipped with another person and all the guys in these videos have reactions like "eww" or "hahahah, no homo though" which already annoyed the frick out of me :roll:
So the next recommended video was Phils "TUMBLR TAG 3! (With Dan)" video.
After a few seconds, I thought "Oh no, they are British!", paused and seriously considered clicking off.
To give a little bit of a backstory here I have been on YouTube since 2011 but was only subscribed to American Youtubers and to Youtubers from my home country and up until then all I knew about "the British YouTubers" was what American Youtubers said about them (who essentially took the piss out of "The British Youtubers") and whenever I wanted to look them up for myself all I found was the Gleamers and what could be seen in all of those 2013/2014 Vlogs they did.
So what I saw was a clique of all-white attractive rich Hipster kids living in their late HighSchool bubble being "the cool kids".
Look at our life, idolize us, buy our stuff, but hey at least we have a token married chubby friend, I mean just look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxQCT-q1CG4 it gives me some serious flashbacks to the cool clique/bullies at my school.At least all of the girls were beauty gurus, the boys content consisted of just "being hot". Somehow all of them were friends and straight couples and said couples were exploiting their relationships for views and all single guys left in that friend group did some serious Queerbaiting (e.g. Jaspar).
And the whole Jaspar thing was next to the already existing Queerbaiting in that time period on Youtube like Shoey or Troyler (or basically Tyler with every guy he ever did a collab with) and to be honest I felt sooo offended by all of that! [I'm aware that this sounds rude but imagine being a heavily closeted young being and one day "Fanfiction Comes To Life" from Marcus and Tyler was in your recommended list and suddenly all videos related to that one were something along the lines of "Hahaha, we are straight white dudes but let's pretend we have a thing for each other so teenage girls can fantasize but don't get us wrong ladies, we are NOT dating, this would be soooo wrong and gross, we are totally straight bros, no homo haha"].
I really hated this side of Youtube and actively avoided all UKYoutubers and all of these queerbaiting ships.
Once Youtube realises that you don't want to watch this content it works really well thb and this was also the reason that I did not know of D&Ps existence till Feb 2016 even though I have spent my entire spare time on YouTube since 2011.
So I paused the video, remembered my "I will never watch these mean British Youtubers!"-pledge I made to myself years ago and unpaused it again just to let it roll as a background noise while I searched for another video in the recommended list.
Having never heard of them or watched any of their videos I did not understand any inside joke or reference in that video and was more confused than entertained but I still watched it till the end.
Because what stood out to me was the fact, that they were the only people in this whole "Tumblr Tag"-format that reacted to the shipping bits by saying things like:
"Haha, blowing in a ear is not sexy but that's ok guys...this edit is bad we need to make some better photos for them to edit...oh a fanart of us, we're not that dreamy in real life.Phiru-senpai? Dan-kun?...oh a smut pic that is a bit graphic but cool, haha...a picture of us with a child, that's cute and a great artstyle but also a bit weird haha...the package comic that is every day of our lives people, he makes me get out of bed because of a package HE bought...oh a fan video, oh no you let Phil die please stop killing Phil in your fiction kill Dan for once yeah it's my turn, haha....oh, and don't forget we have a gaming channel together and a book together and let's end the video by putting our hands on the camera at the same time!"
....sooo...I was confused :D My initial thought was something like "Woah, wait, so they are dating? They are not just some queerbaiting white guys who are 'just hot' like the rest? I mean, they clearly must be dating from what I just saw and from how they acted in the video!"
"Ugh but of course they also have a gaming channel and a book, they all have that these days...They are British YouTubers so I want to boycott them but I need to know if they are dating so I can move on with my life" [I think it's important to add here that I have a compulsive need for closure before I can move on with new things, which is a very annoying thing but at least I have found a job where I get paid for filling this need so yay me]
So I sheepishly googled "amazingphil dan dating" because like for EVERY OTHER youtube couple you get a satisfying answer like "yes, sice 20XX" or "no but we wish" but of course for those two there was no such thing :evil:
Instead the first "answer" I found regarding this question was a tumblr post about not spreading the voldy vid because it's February.
It went something like "It's February, so the vday vid might get spread around, if you watch it you will definitely know if they are dating or not but please don't watch it. If you are a real fan, if you really care about them, for the love of god, do not watch it!!!" which is a weird way to make the video not interesting to anyone tbh of which I thought "Brilliant! I don't care for these meany mean UK Youtubers, I just want closure ffs, so I will watch it!" [which took me around 3 hours to find btw, I found it on a very dodgy website and that website gave me a virus, great!]
So after watching that video I felt like I saw something I definitely were not meant to see and felt bad...
...but I thought "Ok, so they have been dating for years now, that's great, good for them, I can move on now!"
As I was about to close the "tumblr tag" tab on my browser I saw that the next recommended video was pinof7, so I clicked on it, thinking " :ribena: This will be the last thing I will ever see of this couple, good for them for being together for all these years and still being happy, and they also seem really nice, it's a pity, I would have probably watched more of them if only they weren't from the UK"
But as I saw pinof7 I was confused again and thought something like "Huh? Wait, if they are filming in their bedroom on their bed, then why is left guy irritated by right guys underwear, he probably saw it this morning...wait, what do you mean 'Dan's room'?...wait what, friendship yoga...what?!...so...they...are NOT dating?"
But then pinof1 and amazingdan1 were recommended next and I watched these videos and thought "No, wait, they were totally dating there!
So....like...they used to date during pinof1 and amazingdan1 and the vday video and the tumblr tag3 video and then they broke up sometime after the tumblr tag3 video but before pinof7? And are now just friends with a heavily sexual tension? That live in 2 seperate bedrooms? But in the same house? And everything they are talking about is "us" and "we" and "our" and they had a past and are still close and are acting like a couple but are not a couple and.....WHAT?!?!"
Sooooo....I googled some more....and let's just say my grades were not that great that semester but I read and rewatched everything from 2006 to Feb 2016 that can be found on the internet within a week and I have been hooked on ever since...And it is really great being here and getting all that domesticity of 2016 and 2017!
...and until they say otherwise I personally view them as an openly closeted same-sex couple that leaves enough ambiguity around them and their relationship so that they can still be seen as 2 straight platonic bros whenever that image is needed.
And in my opinion doing this is GENIUS, that way they can cash in money from both teen fangirls fetishizing their relationship and from homophobic companies needing two straight attractive guys for their product.
Viewing them and their relationship this way I have closure for myself, can sleep at night and can move on with my life :shrug:
I am well aware, that this could be a lot of projecting but looking at all of this from the perspective of a still heavily closeted non-straight person in their 20s I can relate to this a little too much, like it's not my fault the society I live in only accepts me if I pretend to be a straight woman so OF COURSE I will pretend to be that and will only be myself with the people close to me and when I know it's safe to do so. No, I was not lying to you all these years, Karen, you were the one to assume I'm a straight single cis-woman just like you are, I just never corrected you in thinking so.

tl;dr: I only found out who they were because I stumbled upon one of their videos and instantly thought that they were just a random Youtube couple because of the way they behaved around each other and I "ship" them as in "I am convinced, that they are in a romantic relationship of some sort and will be unless they directly say otherwise". yeah I know about their 2012 antics, but I have already waffled on waay too much, so don't even get me started on that topic :D
But this is as far as my "shipping" goes, I don't actively post something, all I do is watch their videos and read whatever tumblr and idb have to say about them, so one could say I am a very active lurker :D but that's it :shrug:
Sorry for my bad grammar
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual
Pronouns: she/her

garlic wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:35 pm It's very interesting to read everyones experiences! :)

For me "shipping them" was the whole reason I found out about them in the first place.
I waffled on for a long time so I will hide the long version to not annoy anyone who is not interested in all the nitty gritty details and just wants to get the gist:
Sometime around February 2016 I was procrastinating from learning for my college exams and watched a Tumblr Tag video from another youtuber who of course did not credit Phil for the idea :roll: I then watched all of the recommended Tumblr Tag videos and stumbled upon Phils "TUMBLR TAG 3! (With Dan)" video.
Apart from not crediting Phil what all of these videos have in common is that the Youtuber in it was being shipped with another person and all the guys in these videos have reactions like "eww" or "hahahah, no homo though" which already annoyed the frick out of me :roll:
After a few seconds, I thought "Oh no, they are British!", paused and seriously considered clicking off.
To give a little bit of a backstory here I have been on YouTube since 2011 but was only subscribed to American Youtubers and to Youtubers from my home country and up until then all I knew about "the British YouTubers" was what American Youtubers said about them (who essentially took the piss out of "The British Youtubers") and whenever I wanted to look them up for myself all I found was the Gleamers and what could be seen in all of those 2013/2014 Vlogs they did.
So what I saw was a clique of all-white attractive rich Hipster kids living in their late HighSchool bubble being "the cool kids".
Look at our life, idolize us, buy our stuff, but hey at least we have a token married chubby friend, I mean just look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxQCT-q1CG4 it gives me some serious flashbacks to the cool clique/bullies at my school.At least all of the girls were beauty gurus, the boys content consisted of just "being hot". Somehow all of them were friends and straight couples and said couples were exploiting their relationships for views and all single guys left in that friend group did some serious Queerbaiting (e.g. Jaspar).
And the whole Jaspar thing was next to the already existing Queerbaiting in that time period on Youtube like Shoey or Troyler (or basically Tyler with every guy he ever did a collab with) and to be honest I felt sooo offended by all of that! [I'm aware that this sounds rude but imagine being a heavily closeted young being and one day "Fanfiction Comes To Life" from Marcus and Tyler was in your recommended list and suddenly all videos related to that one were something along the lines of "Hahaha, we are straight white dudes but let's pretend we have a thing for each other so teenage girls can fantasize but don't get us wrong ladies, we are NOT dating, this would be soooo wrong and gross, we are totally straight bros, no homo haha"].
I really hated this side of Youtube and actively avoided all UKYoutubers and all of these queerbaiting ships.
Once Youtube realises that you don't want to watch this content it works really well thb and this was also the reason that I did not know of D&Ps existence till Feb 2016 even though I have spent my entire spare time on YouTube since 2011.
So I paused the video, remembered my "I will never watch these mean British Youtubers!"-pledge I made to myself years ago and unpaused it again just to let it roll as a background noise while I searched for another video in the recommended list.
Having never heard of them or watched any of their videos I did not understand any inside joke or reference in that video and was more confused than entertained but I still watched it till the end.
Because what stood out to me was the fact, that they were the only people in this whole "Tumblr Tag"-format that reacted to the shipping bits by saying things like:
"Haha, blowing in a ear is not sexy but that's ok guys...this edit is bad we need to make some better photos for them to edit...oh a fanart of us, we're not that dreamy in real life.Phiru-senpai? Dan-kun?...oh a smut pic that is a bit graphic but cool, haha...a picture of us with a child, that's cute and a great artstyle but also a bit weird haha...the package comic that is every day of our lives people, he makes me get out of bed because of a package HE bought...oh a fan video, oh no you let Phil die please stop killing Phil in your fiction kill Dan for once yeah it's my turn, haha....oh, and don't forget we have a gaming channel together and a book together and let's end the video by putting our hands on the camera at the same time!"
....sooo...I was confused :D My initial thought was something like "Woah, wait, so they are dating? They are not just some queerbaiting white guys who are 'just hot' like the rest? I mean, they clearly must be dating from what I just saw and from how they acted in the video!"
"Ugh but of course they also have a gaming channel and a book, they all have that these days...They are British YouTubers so I want to boycott them but I need to know if they are dating so I can move on with my life" [I think it's important to add here that I have a compulsive need for closure before I can move on with new things, which is a very annoying thing but at least I have found a job where I get paid for filling this need so yay me]
So I sheepishly googled "amazingphil dan dating" because like for EVERY OTHER youtube couple you get a satisfying answer like "yes, sice 20XX" or "no but we wish" but of course for those two there was no such thing :evil:
Instead the first "answer" I found regarding this question was a tumblr post about not spreading the voldy vid because it's February.
It went something like "It's February, so the vday vid might get spread around, if you watch it you will definitely know if they are dating or not but please don't watch it. If you are a real fan, if you really care about them, for the love of god, do not watch it!!!" which is a weird way to make the video not interesting to anyone tbh of which I thought "Brilliant! I don't care for these meany mean UK Youtubers, I just want closure ffs, so I will watch it!" [which took me around 3 hours to find btw, I found it on a very dodgy website and that website gave me a virus, great!]
So after watching that video I felt like I saw something I definitely were not meant to see and felt bad...
...but I thought "Ok, so they have been dating for years now, that's great, good for them, I can move on now!"
As I was about to close the "tumblr tag" tab on my browser I saw that the next recommended video was pinof7, so I clicked on it, thinking " :ribena: This will be the last thing I will ever see of this couple, good for them for being together for all these years and still being happy, and they also seem really nice, it's a pity, I would have probably watched more of them if only they weren't from the UK"
But as I saw pinof7 I was confused again and thought something like "Huh? Wait, if they are filming in their bedroom on their bed, then why is left guy irritated by right guys underwear, he probably saw it this morning...wait, what do you mean 'Dan's room'?...wait what, friendship yoga...what?!...so...they...are NOT dating?"
But then pinof1 and amazingdan1 were recommended next and I watched these videos and thought "No, wait, they were totally dating there!
So....like...they used to date during pinof1 and amazingdan1 and the vday video and the tumblr tag3 video and then they broke up sometime after the tumblr tag3 video but before pinof7? And are now just friends with a heavily sexual tension? That live in 2 seperate bedrooms? But in the same house? And everything they are talking about is "us" and "we" and "our" and they had a past and are still close and are acting like a couple but are not a couple and.....WHAT?!?!"
Sooooo....I googled some more....and let's just say my grades were not that great that semester but I read and rewatched everything from 2006 to Feb 2016 that can be found on the internet within a week and I have been hooked on ever since...And it is really great being here and getting all that domesticity of 2016 and 2017!
...and until they say otherwise I personally view them as an openly closeted same-sex couple that leaves enough ambiguity around them and their relationship so that they can still be seen as 2 straight platonic bros whenever that image is needed.
And in my opinion doing this is GENIUS, that way they can cash in money from both teen fangirls fetishizing their relationship and from homophobic companies needing two straight attractive guys for their product.
Viewing them and their relationship this way I have closure for myself, can sleep at night and can move on with my life :shrug:
I am well aware, that this could be a lot of projecting but looking at all of this from the perspective of a still heavily closeted non-straight person in their 20s I can relate to this a little too much, like it's not my fault the society I live in only accepts me if I pretend to be a straight woman so OF COURSE I will pretend to be that and will only be myself with the people close to me and when I know it's safe to do so. No, I was not lying to you all these years, Karen, you were the one to assume I'm a straight single cis-woman just like you are, I just never corrected you in thinking so.

tl;dr: I only found out who they were because I stumbled upon one of their videos and instantly thought that they were just a random Youtube couple because of the way they behaved around each other and I "ship" them as in "I am convinced, that they are in a romantic relationship of some sort and will be unless they directly say otherwise". yeah I know about their 2012 antics, but I have already waffled on waay too much, so don't even get me started on that topic :D
But this is as far as my "shipping" goes, I don't actively post something, all I do is watch their videos and read whatever tumblr and idb have to say about them, so one could say I am a very active lurker :D but that's it :shrug:
Wow, I enjoyed your ramble :D --I'll be happy to read more rambles should you care to post more! :ribena:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
relatablemood
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

LeftHandedism wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:13 am
garlic wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:35 pm It's very interesting to read everyones experiences! :)

Wow, I enjoyed your ramble :D --I'll be happy to read more rambles should you care to post more! :ribena:
Yeah! I'd literally sit down and listen to a podcast, even. I'd love to hear your thoughts on 2012, it's so interesting anyways.
i want dan's hair and phil's hips
obvsly
#relatable

@garlic, I love your post so much! Do you write fics? Can you tag me when you want to rant again? :mrgreen:

Sorry I didn't quote the whole thing (just wanna save space) but wow you spoke my mind there, especially the part where I bolded and italized it.