Phanfiction recs to warm us on lonely nights

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Lain
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: she/her

somethingsketchy wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:01 pm I just read this absolutely delightful alien!Phil AU fic and couldn't help coming here to recommend it right away!

other worldly by domniall
That was cute, thanks for linking!
“I told Dan about my crush on him, like you said." :lol:
Phandom needs more sci-fi au's. :cry: While we're on the subject, this is my favourite alien!Phil au: The Surest Sign of Intelligent Life.
allsaintshowell
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

somethingsketchy wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:01 pm I just read this absolutely delightful alien!Phil AU fic and couldn't help coming here to recommend it right away!

other worldly by domniall
tfw ur friend is rec'd on idb,, domniall says thank you for the love :love1:
Image Image
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

y'all wanna get fucked up on some fluff? @alittledizzy's latest addition to unrelated conversations of a domestic nature can give you that high.

The_Blonde
living flop

So, Phandom Big Bang is a go!! It always guarantees some amazing fics, and here are three that I've loved so far:

light through an open door - queerofcups (uni au awesomeness with a great supporting cast. I stopped at numerous points to think how do people write like this? HOW?. it's wonderful)

closer to where i started - dizzy (I live for hurt/comfort and this is SO GOOD)

I also really liked the loveliness that is The World Turned Upside Down by lilactreesinwinter.
DatCog
blobfish

The_Blonde wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:19 am So, Phandom Big Bang is a go!! It always guarantees some amazing fics, and here are three that I've loved so far:

light through an open door - queerofcups (uni au awesomeness with a great supporting cast. I stopped at numerous points to think how do people write like this? HOW?. it's wonderful)

closer to where i started - dizzy (I live for hurt/comfort and this is SO GOOD)

I also really liked the loveliness that is The World Turned Upside Down by lilactreesinwinter.
I've just this minute finished reading The World Turned Upside Down and I loved every word. I really hope it will be continued as I need to know what happens!!

The_Blonde - I'm currently reading your Dan art thief fics and enjoying them immensely (finished the first, 1/3 through the second). Thank you :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
lishachi
eclipse shirt

I have never in my life written fanfiction before but last year when they did gamingmas I tried to write something. Then I did, and forgot all about it. I just found it in my notes, and it's a little angsty, with a lot of cute shy moments. I don't really know what to do with it, I don't know if anyone will like it, I don't even think it's that good, but if you'd like to read it, it's under the spoiler. (I don't have anywhere I put these this is just copied and pasted lol sorry.)
Phil woke up from his third? Fourth? Unsuccessful attempt at sleeping, hearing a gentle, somber sound coming from the room next to his.

He couldn’t decide if he should stay in bed, where it was warm, where he could hear Dan playing piano softly through the wall, where the sound of January rain was quietly pattering on his window that was slightly open. Or get up to see Dan.

He didn’t go into Dan’s room when he played the piano. He usually just laid in his room, listening to how relaxing the sounds were. He understood that Dan wanted to be alone, or that playing the piano was either out of practise or just because he felt the need. He wasn’t sure which was which this time. He debated getting up, and before he knew it he was out of the bed, getting his glasses on and wandering to the bedroom next to his.

He looked down at his pyjama bottoms, brushed off a few small crumbs from the biscuits in bed (which he knew was a bad idea, snacks in bed never turn out well) and tentatively knocked on the half opened door.

“Phil?”

Phil peered into Dans room.

“Hi. Did I interrupt you? Sorry.”

Dan looked up from the piano.

“No no, it’s fine. What are you doing up? It’s like 3am? Oh shit wait did I wake you I just-“

“Hey, I couldn’t sleep, don’t worry. I was just listening to you through the wall… uhh… I’m sorry, I’ll leave you to it”

Phil was about to walk back into his bedroom, face slightly flustered, when Dan got up and reached for his wrist.

“Don’t go.” Dan looked at Phil shyly. Phil felt his chest pang a small bit. Why is it that Dan could look so sad, but so pretty at the same time?

“You play beautifully, you know. You underestimate yourself, Dan. You’re a wonderful piano player, much better than you think you are.” Phil said, all in a bit of a rush.

Dan blushed slightly. Phil could tell because he gets a little red patch on the side of his face, next to his 'sad dimple.’

Phil noticed that Dan was now holding his hand. He looked down, to see their hands intertwined, and looked up at Dan who had watery eyes. A single tear dropped from his face.

“What’s wrong, Dan?”

Dan looked at his hand which was locked with Phil's, then looked up at him, and felt tears streaming down his face.

“I just- does it ever bother you that… do you think…” Dan was tripping over his words, his brain going into overdrive and his mouth not able to catch up.

“Dan?”

Dan was crying now, quietly, just looking at the ground, tears falling onto the cream carpet below him.

Phil reached for his face, gently wiping his tears away with his thumb. Dan looked up into Phil’s eyes, scanning for emotions, which were of course hidden away under the surface.

“Dan, it hurts me so much to see you cry. Please tell me what’s wrong.” Phil embraced Dan, hugging him gently but firm, reassuring him and comforting him.

“Phil, do you think I’m loved? Y’know, like truly? I haven’t had anyone in years tell me and I’m starting to forget what it feels like.”

Phils heart broke. He released Dan from the hug and looked at him. His hair was back from his face, slightly curly and unruly. He was in his usual comfy pj bottoms that Phil always thought he looked cute in (but never said to his face) with his black jumper with the zips on the shoulders. He looked perfect, as he always did, with tears streaming down his face and his eyes slightly red. Phil didn’t know how to respond.

Dan makes Phil's heart flip a tiny bit more each day. He shares looks with him that he’s never shared with anyone. Theres a connection between them, there always has been. There has always been something there and before now, a time ago, there was definitely something. And it got messy. But they stuck together. They’ve never really stated to each other how they felt, though. Not in years. It’s always been something that’s gone unmentioned. The same goes with the late night bed-sharing. The quick “thank you” kisses they sometimes share. The “good night” kisses they quite often share. The “i’m-so-drunk-and-wow-you’re-so-pretty” kisses they always manage to share.

And here they were, standing in the hallway, holding each other.

“Phil. What are we doing? What is happening with us? Sometimes we sleep in the same bed, sometimes we don’t. Sometimes we kiss, and it’s amazing, and sometimes we don’t. Sometimes we look at each other and it’s almost like we want to say something, but we don’t. I’m tired of trying to guess and I don’t want to pressure you or confuse you but-“

Phil pulled him in and kissed him. A soft, loving kiss, which Dan melted into. Phil then pulled away, cupping Dan’s cheek, smiling at him adoringly.

“Dan. I…I love you. You are loved, by me. I should of told you sooner. But, uh, I’ve kind of loved you from the minute I met you. Nothing has changed. I’m so sorry. But, uh.’’ He tripping over his words and was kind of-no-really hoping he’d say the same back when Dan looked at him and said...

“I love you, too.” Dan smiled.

They looked at each other, tears in their eyes, hands interlocked.

“I play piano sometimes at night, to keep myself pre-occupied. Sometimes i just want to see you... knock on your door and climb into bed with you, and uh... I mean we’ve never said what we are, if we're anything... and I’ve never known the boundaries really. So, some nights I get sad and I let it out through music. It’s therapeutic, and it works for a while, but it’s never quite enough. It’s never quite... you.” Dan said, slightly shaking, his hands fidgeting around in Phil’s.

Phil wondered how somebody could be so poetically beautiful.

“You have me now.” Phil smiled warmly.

And with that, Phil pulled up from his piano, into his room and climbed into bed with Dan. Phil’s hands wrapping around Dans waist, Dan's chest thudding slightly faster.

“Christ you are cold, Phil. How do you ever sleep?”

“Well maybe if you budged up a little bit we could keep each other warm” Phil said, smirking slightly at Dan.

“Alright, alright I’m budging... jesus christ the things I have to do. After confessing my love...”

They looked at each other and laughed softly.

“The rain is so nice, I’m sorry my piano was overshadowing the sound of it. Rains always good to fall asleep to.”

“If you weren’t playing piano, I may not have come into your room, and you and I probably wouldn’t be lying together after telling each other that we love one another. Which would you prefer? I know what i’d pick, Dan.”

“Thank you for your input, Phil. As always, you speak the truth.” Dan said with a smidge of sarcasm.

“Of course I do, now shhhh I can’t hear the rain over your voice.” Phil nudged Dan to be quiet.

Dan turned around to meet Phil's eyes, and for a second he was going to act offended, but he decided on kissing him instead. They exchanged warm, soft kisses under the covers, with the rain a gentle patter in the background. They then looked at each other, studying each other in the dimly lit room. They looked at each other with so much love. All of which was clear and shared between millions of people on the internet, but never shared between the two. Not like this anyway. Maybe subtly, between little looks in the kitchen after making coffee, the slight hand touching they sometimes did while on the tube coming home, the cuddling on the sofa whilst watching crap tv. Somehow, they always knew. But it was always unspoken.

The actions spoke louder than words, and they couldn’t hear them.

But now they definitely can.

“I love you, Phil.”

“I love you too, Bear.”

Dan closed his eyes, smiling shyly, wondering why they didn’t say anything sooner.
I wrote this after a rough period of my life, I was struggling a lot last year, maybe you can tell. And I kind of wrote what I wish would happen to me some day. I'd appreciate feedback as this is my first fanfiction. I love writing but I've never wrote anything like this, so any feedback at all is cool. Thanks :D :biheart:

(Edit: I just realised I should of put this in the Phanfics by IDBers, i'll put it there now, if this isn't relevant feel free to delete it. Sorry!)
:biflag: :blackheart:
fondsmiles
phabergé

oooooh this really hasn't been posted yet!
I am a massive fangirl of the TwistedRocketPower's A Year in the Life.

It is the purest fluff with a heavy taste of realness that is better than any fanservice could ever be.
It's basically the idea of a "Day in the Life" video, just that Dan and Phil decided to film an entire year in which they buy, renovate and move into their forever home. The story does nothing but describes the little clips you would see in the video and makes it so easy to get lost in this fantasy world (that doesn't even seem that unrealistic with what they're behaving like lately...).
Have fun!
[x]
[x]
realeyesrealize
living flop

INeverHadMyInternetPhase published their PBB yesterday and I'm going to need you all to read it right now. Just, trust me on this one.

If You Must Mourn, Don't Do It Alone
DatCog
blobfish

realeyesrealize wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:26 pm INeverHadMyInternetPhase published their PBB yesterday and I'm going to need you all to read it right now. Just, trust me on this one.

This is absolutely wonderful, I'm about 80% through already and I really don't want it to end :cry:
The_Blonde
living flop

DatCog wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:05 pm
realeyesrealize wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:26 pm INeverHadMyInternetPhase published their PBB yesterday and I'm going to need you all to read it right now. Just, trust me on this one.

This is absolutely wonderful, I'm about 80% through already and I really don't want it to end :cry:
Same!! INeverHadMyInternetPhase is honestly the most comforting writer in this fandom for me - reading her stuff is like being wrapped in a blanket of loveliness. I enjoyed it so much.

(and thank you for your kind words DatCog! I'm really glad that you like my fics :love1: )
Flomy
sofa crease

Came here to recommend this one too! It's exactly what I want from a pbb fic. <3 Their fic from last year is also amazing, it's called Let Me Down Gently IIRC.
Lain
eclipse shirt

Murder at Amazing Phil's is a big bang fic that I kept putting off (it was published on the 16th lol i haven't even 'put it off' for a full week .... i have no willpower) because I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it, but (it's not ooc thaaank) I'm hooked now and was wondering if anyone else is reading it?
Striderrrrrrrr
smol bean
Pronouns: She/her

when i sing, you sing harmonies This is a really beautiful au that made me cry several times sheerly because of how good it was. I can't rec this highly enough!
kay
phabergé

Striderrrrrrrr wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:21 am when i sing, you sing harmonies This is a really beautiful au that made me cry several times sheerly because of how good it was. I can't rec this highly enough!
came on to rec this - The_Blonde does it again. absolutely wonderful :love2:
DatCog
blobfish

Striderrrrrrrr wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:21 am when i sing, you sing harmonies This is a really beautiful au that made me cry several times sheerly because of how good it was. I can't rec this highly enough!
This is next on my list to read!

Had to come on here and recommend one of my most favourite fics which has just been completed:

read between the lines (i will if you will) by ablissa. 72k words.

I loved this so much: 2009 Skype and phone conversations leading up to their first meeting. Ahhhhhh I massively enjoy realistic 2009 Phan :love1:

Also need to recommend this WIP by waveydnp a match and a fuse - it's currently around 40k words and is being updated 3 times a week. Coffee shop AU. This is a fic that I have to drop whatever I'm doing to read when I get the subscription e-mail!
sonicgreen
woodland creature

Does anyone have any recommendations for authors doing Ficmas/Advent? So far I’ve been bookmarking queerofcups and dizzy on AO3. Thanks! :epictree:
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

sonicgreen wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:15 pm Does anyone have any recommendations for authors doing Ficmas/Advent? So far I’ve been bookmarking queerofcups and dizzy on AO3. Thanks! :epictree:
commonemergency (nilismdan on tumblr) is doing one!

https://archiveofourown.org/series/886425

:lights: :snowflake: :lights: :snowflake: :lights: :epictree: :lights: :snowflake: :lights: :snowflake: :lights:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
Ablissa
pastel persona

DatCog wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:55 am Had to come on here and recommend one of my most favourite fics which has just been completed:

I loved this so much: 2009 Skype and phone conversations leading up to their first meeting. Ahhhhhh I massively enjoy realistic 2009 Phan :love1:
Oh my gosh, thank you for the rec <3 Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this :D
DatCog
blobfish

Ablissa wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:58 pm
DatCog wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:55 am Had to come on here and recommend one of my most favourite fics which has just been completed:

Oh my gosh, thank you for the rec <3 Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this :D
My pleasure! It was wonderful and I already know I’ll want to read it again and again. That last chapter was just perfect :love2: :love2:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

If you guys aren't reading A Match and a Fuse by waveydnp then you are depriving yourself of joy and happiness.

It's a WIP but she writes very far ahead and it posts on a schedule - there's almost 60k already and a new chapter every M/W/F between 10 and 11 am EST. I've literally never seen demisexuality portrayed so well in a fic before - but somehow it manages to deal with Phil's confusion and frustration over his sexuality in a way that is warm and tender and feels realistic but not painful for any purpose besides growth, everything feels earned and nothing feels like it's being done just to check off a plot point.

As someone who notoriously doesn't read WIP, my advice: make an exception for this one. You'll get so much gratification out of riding along for this journey.
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:20 pm If you guys aren't reading A Match and a Fuse by waveydnp then you are depriving yourself of joy and happiness.
+1 for this. I have been burned so many times with WIPs and this one is worth the risk. It’s so good
DatCog
blobfish

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:57 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:20 pm If you guys aren't reading A Match and a Fuse by waveydnp then you are depriving yourself of joy and happiness.
+1 for this. I have been burned so many times with WIPs and this one is worth the risk. It’s so good
I rec'd this earlier on this page and I'm still completely hooked. I literally have to read it on my phone as soon as I see the notification, it's that good! The last instalment made me feel so warm and fuzzy...ahhhh. Plus it has Jimmy!!
smartcookie
drama llama

Fic recs!!!

I didn’t start reading on ao3 until just recently so that’s why I’m only rec-ing wattpad ones. Contrary to what tumblr seems to believe there’s actually an overwhelming amount of absolutely marvellous fics on wattpad even if the community is a bit (awfully) cringe from time to time. And the in-line comments are everything so fight me tumblr, you will have to pry wattpad from my cold dead hands.
EITher way!

https://my.w.tt/UiNb/TCeBIHYdXI - Human -PartTimeStoryTeller, Maybe my all time favourite phan fic. The characterisation are to die for just as the plot. And if you like me are a sucker for a side of kickthestickz this fic won’t disappoint. I’ll let authors own blurb hook you on this story, but I’ll admit as much as that I cried when this book ended, not because of any sad happenings but because I just couldn’t accept it being over.

https://my.w.tt/UiNb/Gt29ct1dXI - Misfit - Melancholymango, I’ve already seen this being rec-ed a few times but it is simply too good not to rec again. Humongously long though and still ongoing. (I’ve read it on iPad with like 12 font and page flip function and counted to more than 3k pages.)

https://my.w.tt/UiNb/g9ytCP3dXI - there Are no Grey Piano Keys - hypokalaemia, bit shorter and less known than the two first, but very good all the same. Good characterisation and the author has a in my opinion nice way of writing. Ridiculously sad so don’t read if you’re not prepared to cry big time.

https://my.w.tt/UiNb/4wWDf56dXI - as our tragedies atrophy - phandomestic, I’ll probably never get over this fic. It is alongside phan™ (rip) the saddest fic I’ve ever read. So gut twistingly sad I can’t even believe. Enormously well written and in character as well, can’t recommend it enough.

https://my.w.tt/UiNb/9RXTz38dXI - a change of heart - rickyblitzz, this is still a pretty early WIP with an god-awful uploading schedule, but the author is one of the best there is and they have just outdone themself with this one. It’s building up to a petty sad something, but the authors style of writing alone is so beautiful I might just burst into tears.

I’m sorry these are doing such a horrible work of actually giving out any sort of info about the fics and what they are about, so just take my word for it and read the authors’ own descriptions. You won’t regret it one single bit. :mrgreen:
everything sucks forever
bee
phabergé

DatCog wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:48 am
MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:57 pm
I rec'd this earlier on this page and I'm still completely hooked. I literally have to read it on my phone as soon as I see the notification, it's that good! The last instalment made me feel so warm and fuzzy...ahhhh. Plus it has Jimmy!!
This one's amazing! Thanks so much for the rec. I now have trouble being patient for updates.
If you've more recs like this (sweet, subtle, realistic, not overly dramatic yet emotional, also do enjoy the slow burn) please tell me I need something to fill the gap :lol:
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

idk if this is a weird question or not but would it be weird or redundant to have a thread for fic analysis? i guess some fics leave me wanting to write a 10 000 word essay, and i'm not sure if i'm the only one who feels that way. i mean i guess leaving a comment on that person's work makes more sense, but idk if i want to write a full on essay (because i really never know when to stop talking so it will end up being long haha) in their comments connecting dots that i'm not sure the author wants to be connected in such an 'extreme' manner.

anyway, apparently i only make posts on here when i'm super tired or sick, so apologies if this is weird or makes no sense and my brain just didn't process it as so because it's having a proper siesta right now haha.