Phanfiction recs to warm us on lonely nights

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
greenergrass
stress mushroom

obsessivelymoody wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:25 am idk if this is a weird question or not but would it be weird or redundant to have a thread for fic analysis? i guess some fics leave me wanting to write a 10 000 word essay, and i'm not sure if i'm the only one who feels that way. i mean i guess leaving a comment on that person's work makes more sense, but idk if i want to write a full on essay (because i really never know when to stop talking so it will end up being long haha) in their comments connecting dots that i'm not sure the author wants to be connected in such an 'extreme' manner.

anyway, apparently i only make posts on here when i'm super tired or sick, so apologies if this is weird or makes no sense and my brain just didn't process it as so because it's having a proper siesta right now haha.
I like the idea of a fic analysis thread, but I'm just a little concerned for the authors of the fics that more people will write detailed comments in the analysis thread and not on the actual fic or in a message to the author. I don't write fic myself, but I'm sure that most writers absolutely love getting feedback on their fic, so I wouldn't want to take any of that away from them.

But it could be a way to consolidate all the comments/analysis, since the comments would usually be spread out all over the actual fanfics, the author's tumblr, twitter, etc. Maybe if everyone who wrote in the thread made a pact of sorts to also leave the comment directly with the writer? Or to direct them to your comment in the thread? But also maybe, like you touched on, the writers wouldn't all be comfortable with an in-depth analysis of their fics on a public forum? Maybe they would just prefer more private messages, and wouldn't want people going into such intense depths into their writing in a public space (even if done in a nice way)?

I don't know, could some writers leave your opinions here on what you think?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

whatdoiknow wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:16 am
obsessivelymoody wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:25 am idk if this is a weird question or not but would it be weird or redundant to have a thread for fic analysis? i guess some fics leave me wanting to write a 10 000 word essay, and i'm not sure if i'm the only one who feels that way. i mean i guess leaving a comment on that person's work makes more sense, but idk if i want to write a full on essay (because i really never know when to stop talking so it will end up being long haha) in their comments connecting dots that i'm not sure the author wants to be connected in such an 'extreme' manner.

anyway, apparently i only make posts on here when i'm super tired or sick, so apologies if this is weird or makes no sense and my brain just didn't process it as so because it's having a proper siesta right now haha.
I like the idea of a fic analysis thread, but I'm just a little concerned for the authors of the fics that more people will write detailed comments in the analysis thread and not on the actual fic or in a message to the author. I don't write fic myself, but I'm sure that most writers absolutely love getting feedback on their fic, so I wouldn't want to take any of that away from them.

But it could be a way to consolidate all the comments/analysis, since the comments would usually be spread out all over the actual fanfics, the author's tumblr, twitter, etc. Maybe if everyone who wrote in the thread made a pact of sorts to also leave the comment directly with the writer? Or to direct them to your comment in the thread? But also maybe, like you touched on, the writers wouldn't all be comfortable with an in-depth analysis of their fics on a public forum? Maybe they would just prefer more private messages, and wouldn't want people going into such intense depths into their writing in a public space (even if done in a nice way)?

Personally as a writer I'd absolutely love something like this. I would say as far as analysis goes, as long as people remain aware that they're writing something the author could likely see or stumble over and perhaps keep away from needless criticism to excessive talk of what didn't work (I mean, some of that is fine, but if you have nothing but negative opinions maybe... don't post) then I think it could work. I definitely know there are lots of fics I'd love to write more in depth about, and a fic rec thread alone doesn't always feel like the best for it.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:25 am
whatdoiknow wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:16 am

Personally as a writer I'd absolutely love something like this. I would say as far as analysis goes, as long as people remain aware that they're writing something the author could likely see or stumble over and perhaps keep away from needless criticism to excessive talk of what didn't work (I mean, some of that is fine, but if you have nothing but negative opinions maybe... don't post) then I think it could work. I definitely know there are lots of fics I'd love to write more in depth about, and a fic rec thread alone doesn't always feel like the best for it.
i mean that's basically what i was getting at (but didn't explain very clearly haha). obviously criticism that isn't constructive, or just really harsh isn't okay at all, and it would be harder to regulate than 'regular' off-hand comments. as a writer myself
(though not fics anymore :/), having feedback like that would be something i personally would appreciate so that's part of why i was thinking of it not just bc waveydnp's "a match and a fuse" isn't making me feel everything at once with every update hahaha . i know some writers could feel uncomfortable with that, but like whatdoiknow said you could leave a link to the post in their comments, though i'm not sure if that in itself is problematic.

idk i guess it was just a thought but maybe with some more thinking it could be effectively implemented for people who want to use it?
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

As both a reader and a writer of fics I'd love this!

As a writer, every scrap of feedback is precious, and I'd be thrilled if any of my fics happened to be discussed. And I guess I'm fairly confident that the criticism here wouldn't get too vicious.

I'm even more excited by this idea as a reader though. I see it as kind of a book club with fics, which would be cool. I'd also be down for any level of literary analysis that people wanted to engage in. The only danger I see is we'd all be a little more liable to confuse phanfic with Phan :D.

Let's do it!
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

please all do yourselves a favour and read this.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/13153368

i'm so shook, as the kids say, that it's been 24 hours and i still can't formulate a coherent comment to leave. it's just beautiful writing.
art in avatar by lily
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I feel like this has definitely been recommended on this thread before, but since it was recently updated again - please read (when you gonna realise) it was just that the time was wrong if you haven't already. I've never read anything like it before in my life, but it's honestly one of the most stunning pieces of writing I've ever read. It's still a wip but I'd say it's worth starting anyway, The_Blonde is such a talented writer whose works are all so original and gripping and moving. The premise is difficult to describe, but basically Phil's dreams are alternate universes and he's in love with Dan in each of them, and he has to solve the mystery of why that is/what it means. Which sounds wild, but I promise it's incredibly beautiful and such a gripping read. Would highly recommend!
000dia000
emo goose

YESSS I love this idea :respekt2: I've always wanted somewhere to discuss fanfics and some are so good they deserve their own fandom
:cactus:
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

Re: fic analysing. Maybe a book club style thread would be fun?
Elyanie
dank meme

captainspacecoat wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:53 pm I feel like this has definitely been recommended on this thread before, but since it was recently updated again - please read (when you gonna realise) it was just that the time was wrong if you haven't already. I've never read anything like it before in my life, but it's honestly one of the most stunning pieces of writing I've ever read. It's still a wip but I'd say it's worth starting anyway, The_Blonde is such a talented writer whose works are all so original and gripping and moving. The premise is difficult to describe, but basically Phil's dreams are alternate universes and he's in love with Dan in each of them, and he has to solve the mystery of why that is/what it means. Which sounds wild, but I promise it's incredibly beautiful and such a gripping read. Would highly recommend!
I had my doubts when I saw coffee shop au in the tags because that tends to not be my cup of coffee (pun intended) but I read it all last night and sobbed my eyes out. Honestly one of the best fics I’ve ever read and I can’t wait for updates :happytears:
You are happy when you feel like you're being authentic
readingmama
dank meme

I would absolutely be interested in participating in a book club for phanfiction <3
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

Yes! Phanfiction book club, if only to here you guys' articulate thoughts on my fave fics (such as A Match and a Fuse and Disturb the Universe).
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
DatCog
blobfish

I'm really feeling the need for a discussion on 'A Match and a Fuse'...my god that latest chapter :happytears:. Honestly I am living for this fic right now!
sparkle
blobfish

DatCog wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:45 pm I'm really feeling the need for a discussion on 'A Match and a Fuse'...my god that latest chapter :happytears:. Honestly I am living for this fic right now!
+1 oh my god :dead:

I am quite happily living in the bottom of my trashcan with this fic :stan:
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

i'm wondering how we can structure a book club-type thread without it being too messy...hmm

anyway, i feel like 'a match and a fuse' definitely needs it's own thing, or perhaps be like an on-going read within the book club thing, if that makes sense. i really just want to have an extensive conversation about it too haha
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

Maybe two threads? Like "Here is where we scream about the latest update in whatever WIP" and "Here is where we are discussing this month's phanfic"
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I think you could just do a "Fic Discussion Thread" (or whatever you want to name it!) - and flailing and convo can take place in the same one? I mean personally I tend to do a lot of both; then this thread will just be for dropping links for people who don't have much to say and just want to share.
Afunnyworld
sofa crease

Maybe s/o could just ask the authors of the fics they want to discuss if it would be alright? that way we can be sure that it's fine with them that their works are discussed on a public forum.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Afunnyworld wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:49 pm Maybe s/o could just ask the authors of the fics they want to discuss if it would be alright? that way we can be sure that it's fine with them that their works are discussed on a public forum.
that's a good idea, because some people might want to keep their fics localized to where they're posted or discussion to be in their realm of control.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

To be honest, I don't think people need permission to discuss a fic. If an author wants to know it's super nice to give them a heads up so they can creep in on it but if the format is meant to be discussion then it's not really up to a writer to be able to control what's said or where it's being said.

I don't want to step on toes since this wasn't my idea but I hope on gets made before tomorrow's AMAAF update!
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

I'd like to suggest two fic-discussion threads: one for squeeing over the current fics everyone is reading (obviously including AMAAF right now :lilheart:), and one with a bit more structure where a fic or fics are chosen and then discussed at a specific time. The reason I personally would prefer not to entwine the two threads is simple: spoilers. I'm someone who prefers to know as little as possible before I start to read something good--I don't look at tags and I often look at this thread with my eyes half-averted. ;)

Anyway, I don't see why we can't have a "Current fics we're loving" thread and an "IDB Book Club" thread. Maybe they will organically merge and that's fine, but it seems to me that the intents are slightly different.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

+1 for two seperate threads. Someone make it before AMAAF updates tomorrow lol
DatCog
blobfish

I have no idea what I'm doing but I'll try and create 2 new topics in this bit of the forum called "Current Fics We're Loving" and "IDB Book Club"...I need somewhere to squee about amaaf desperately!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Can I ask what the difference in "current fics we're loving" and in this thread is? I feel like current fics we're loving would just be - fic recs?
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

I think this thread is great for "I'm a functioning person who can use words and express myself in a way that is understandable and I really think other people will like this fic"

Where the currect fics is more where we do "AHHHHHHH THEY TOUCHED EACH OTHER! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:42 pm I think this thread is great for "I'm a functioning person who can use words and express myself in a way that is understandable and I really think other people will like this fic"

Where the currect fics is more where we do "AHHHHHHH THEY TOUCHED EACH OTHER! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"
Okay, gotcha! If the book club thread is only doing completed fics, then that makes sense! I do hope people continue to drop links in this thread, though.