Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
katemko
delia smith
Pronouns: she/her

Oh, man. I think I'm coming up on eight years in fandom, if not nine. First it was Glee, then HP, then Hunger Games, then Doctor Who, then Sherlock (those last two were not at the same time mind you), and now I'm here. Also I am kinda active in John and Hank Green's corner of the internet as well (wouldn't call nerdfightaria fandom tho).

edit: first time on top of the page aw yeeee happy 2018!
i'm so funny. i am the funniest person in the world. ryan gosling finds me hilarious. i'm in a submarine.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

My first fandom was the Finnish Harry Potter fandom around 2006-2008. It had thousands of members and was organised around two forums, one mainly for discussion, the other one mainly for archiving fanfiction. I've been craving the forum fandom experience ever since.

After 2009 or so, I had a several years' break from fandom because I was depressed and for some reason found myself obsessed with knitting. (Judging by the media I consumed during that break, I most probably would've ended up in the Glee fandom like so many others if I'd been about online life outside knitting communities at that time.) Doctor Who made me come back to fandom and join Tumblr in 2013. Then I moved on to The Hunger Games, then The Raven Cycle (another book series), then here.

Like several other people here, I haven't really been more than a passive lurker in most of my fandoms. I was active enough in the HP fandom back in the day to make some friends, but I've engaged very little with any Tumblr fandoms I've been in.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

I was pretty active in a band fandom in my youth. Eventually, I started listening to other music, but I was still around enough when two band members who were stalked heavily moved to a different continent after a breaking and entering of their house.
Maybe that is why I felt so bad reading about the news yesterday - if D&P ever want to put a stop to all the stalking and lurking, only extreme measures like that will do. And that scares me. Said band didn't come back until like 5 years after the incident.
scientia
phabergé

guys, I feel so old. I joined various HP Yahoo groups in 2000 (right after book 4 came out) and got into reading/writing fanfiction pretty quickly after that. The gap between books 4 and 5 really cemented my love of the fandom. 17 years... :rofl:
fleur-de-lis
butt chair

LtrllySusan wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:39 am I was pretty active in a band fandom in my youth. Eventually, I started listening to other music, but I was still around enough when two band members who were stalked heavily moved to a different continent after a breaking and entering of their house.
Maybe that is why I felt so bad reading about the news yesterday - if D&P ever want to put a stop to all the stalking and lurking, only extreme measures like that will do. And that scares me. Said band didn't come back until like 5 years after the incident.
I've been in that exact band fandom since they first started in 2005 and they have since talked extensively about the period when they were stalked etc. I don't think you can compare D&P to that, because hundreds of people literally camped outside their house every single day. As far as I know only a few select people have ever waited in front of D&Ps house and also never for a longer period of time.
Also, they were super young when all that happened. They have since moved back to Berlin for months at a time and it was fine.
whelpkeeper
sad dimple
Pronouns: they/their

scientia wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:58 am guys, I feel so old. I joined various HP Yahoo groups in 2000 (right after book 4 came out) and got into reading/writing fanfiction pretty quickly after that. The gap between books 4 and 5 really cemented my love of the fandom. 17 years... :rofl:
...that's basically as long as I've been alive :shock: lol i'm like an actual fetus :rofl:

I'm still very new to actively participating in fandoms, I've always kinda lurked in the background of things I liked (mainly just HP for years, and shows like SU). I took the plunge and got a Tumblr, but I'm a reblogger only so I didn't really contribute anything until I got an IDB account for DnP stuff. I really like it though, it's such a different feeling from just passively reading what other people write, and I hope other people who lurk consider posting every once and awhile. You really feel more connected to what's being discussed, like you can control the conversation by adding to it and bringig up points that interest you more. Honestly what I kinda regret is waiting so long to start posting here.

That said, I hope this isn't off-topic but I always feel bad when I see people post here and apologize for their "bad English". Like what??? I guarantee you your English is fine, I'm a native speaker and if you didn't mention English was your second language I honestly would never know. If you looked at my English Language grades over the years you'd think I was the one who couldn't speak English :lol: so please don't worry about your fluency, it's probs better than mine in Spanish (I've been learning for years and I have so much respect for anyone who's bilingual)!
The air soft as that of Seville in April,
and so fragrant that it was delicious to breathe it.
citizen_erased
truth bomb

scientia wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:58 am guys, I feel so old. I joined various HP Yahoo groups in 2000 (right after book 4 came out) and got into reading/writing fanfiction pretty quickly after that. The gap between books 4 and 5 really cemented my love of the fandom. 17 years... :rofl:
hahaha saaaaame, I started reading harry potter when I was 11 and fanfiction (though not hp but a band) when I was 12, so I'm going into my 16th/17th year of fandom now. I've been in fandom over half my life, which is something I try not to think about too much :lol: :lol: I've been on so many forums back in the day, but honestly I thought they were long gone and everything had moved to social media. Then one day I stumbled upon idb and here I am :lol:
dansnose
delia smith
Pronouns: she/ her

whew just caught up with everything after feeling a bit overwhelmed from all the content this month and not feeling like engaging with deppy for a bit

RE: stalking- i’m mutuals with one of the girls who bumped into him and it pains me how a happy coincidence that was supposed to make them happy turned into this ugly mess that was blown out of proportion by people who always start drama sigh.

RE: fandoms- my experience with fandom spaces online began in 2007-2011~ when i was active mainly in a club penguin, sims, and high school musical forums in this israeli website that’s been shut down since.
from there in summer 2011 i was on israeli glee fandom on facebook until a friend told me to get on twitter late august 2011 and since then my main twitter fandom was glee with some other stuff in between, mostly disney fandom on tumblr starting early 2013 till mid 2016. then in 2015 my main fandom switched to the love live! anime/ game and then i discovered deppy in late october 2016 and it switched into my main fandom haha. (although now i spend most time in my danganronpa account since it’s becoming my main interest)

i’ve been around for too much drama at this point i have no desire in participating nor even being aware that drama is happening. tbh drama used to excite me when i was younger but now it causes me so much stress i can’t handle seeing my tl being nothing but drama :?

EDIT: typo, and forgot to add a tiny thing hhhh
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

it's just gone midnight here, Happy New Years IDB! :newyear:
art in avatar by lily
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

:newyear: happy new year to anyone who's already is 2018! (i'm in ny so i've still got ~16 hours lol)
so, as the year is coming to an end, i'd like to ask: what was you guy's favorite thing about deppy this year? anything at all! for me, it would be phil stepping out of his old branding, as that was certainly a year-long sight to see :lol:
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Ooh, favourite thing about them this year... yeah, same for me for Phil and being an ever-cheekier troll (pretending he’d forgotten about gamingmas, I watched that bit a few times). Dan taking the plunge with his depression video and working with Young Minds. Both of them just relaxing more while still being firm on where they won’t go.

On fandom longevity, my first was Cats the musical from 1999, then this has been the most active I’ve been since. I dipped into a few like Harry Potter, though at the time I had a few friends into it enough to talk to. Read some fic, but had done that a lot with Cats (which was mostly not primarily about shipping. There were some really cute stories and a few epic sagas).
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

:newyear: Happy New Year to those of you in Australia & NZ!

If you're not drunk yet and have some time, we posted another bunch of analyses of the D&P survey, this time it's about shipping and attraction. Once again I suggest looking at the full post below the cut which has the actual numbers and percentages in it (no pretty graphs this time, sorry).
liola
rankussy

Interesting discussions about fandom life here! I do think being in fandoms for a while helps put things in perspective, though not always. My first experience in fandom was in the anime fandom around 2001-2002, which was the main reason I used internet for lol it was over chat rooms and forums and I always loved that kind of experience. I then moved to the HP fandom, still in forum, and was an active member up until the last movie Came out basically. Around 2010 I joined the glee fandom, which lead me to tumblr and that was probably some of the worse experiences in fandom I've ever had, the glee fandom was something else 🙄

Then Sherlock, then youtube/derpy and preppy and Pentatonix..basically since I was 10 I was involved in fandom, it's a whopping almost 16 years of fandom life now and I feel like I went through all the stages.

About my favourite thing of this year, for sure Phil's behaviour but also the way they seem more comfortable with the audience!
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

somethingsketchy wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:09 am My first fandom was the Finnish Harry Potter fandom around 2006-2008. It had thousands of members and was organised around two forums, one mainly for discussion, the other one mainly for archiving fanfiction. I've been craving the forum fandom experience ever since.

After 2009 or so, I had a several years' break from fandom because I was depressed and for some reason found myself obsessed with knitting. (Judging by the media I consumed during that break, I most probably would've ended up in the Glee fandom like so many others if I'd been about online life outside knitting communities at that time.) Doctor Who made me come back to fandom and join Tumblr in 2013. Then I moved on to The Hunger Games, then The Raven Cycle (another book series), then here.
omg are you me? I also went from Harry Potter to knitting. Knitting practically became my fandom after joining Ravelry and finding podcasts...
citizen_erased wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:20 am
hahaha saaaaame, I started reading harry potter when I was 11 and fanfiction (though not hp but a band) when I was 12, so I'm going into my 16th/17th year of fandom now. I've been in fandom over half my life, which is something I try not to think about too much :lol: :lol: I've been on so many forums back in the day, but honestly I thought they were long gone and everything had moved to social media. Then one day I stumbled upon idb and here I am :lol:
I remember going to HarryPotter.com and see an announcement that they are opening auditions for the trio for the first movie. It was wild. Goblet of Fire was the first book I had to wait for (hahah... wait... nothing can compare to waiting for OoTP). I feel so old :rofl:
Lain
eclipse shirt

LtrllySusan, I'm so excited to enjoy more Survey analysis with my coffee, ty for posting.

Fandom rambling below:
My first and longest fandom experience (probably would have been Are You Afraid of the Dark? had the internet been what it is today at that time :lol: ) was in The X-Files fandom. During my time as an X-Phile (cringe!), I gained a few great friends (through an old Delphi forum that sadly no longer exists), an obscene amount of printed out fanfiction that I kept in binders lmao, a tattoo of the X logo on my neck, and a strong bond with a high school teacher that used to geek out with me over it (she still has one of my VHS tapes smh).

Less intense fandoms that followed: The Wheel of Time, Harry Potter, The Mighty Boosh (one of the most pleasant Tumblr communities I've been a part of), Glee, and currently the Phandom.

liola wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:45 pm Around 2010 I joined the glee fandom, which lead me to tumblr and that was probably some of the worse experiences in fandom I've ever had, the glee fandom was something else 🙄
I wonder what games the boys will be playing this NYE. :hmmm: I hope Bryony blesses us with an Instagram story if they're spending it together.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:52 pm
somethingsketchy wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:09 am
My first fandom was the Finnish Harry Potter fandom around 2006-2008. It had thousands of members and was organised around two forums, one mainly for discussion, the other one mainly for archiving fanfiction. I've been craving the forum fandom experience ever since.

omg are you me? I also went from Harry Potter to knitting. Knitting practically became my fandom after joining Ravelry and finding podcasts...
Lol, I actually even meant Ravelry when I said "online knitting communities". I, too, had a feeling that knitting became my fandom of sorts. At least waiting for new colour charts felt like waiting for an upcoming book/tv show episode/movie, and people analysed different types of yarn and criticised certain yarn companies as avidly one would have any fandom discussions. Those were the times, I still own far more yarn than I'll ever be able to use up.

I'm not that into knitting at the moment, even though I know I could be if I just started a new project. Now I'd like to do cross-stitch more often and maybe even try out other types of embroidery. To not make this post completely off-topic, I can mention that I actually cross-stitched a Deppy-themed Christmas card a while ago (can be found on Tumblr) and am planning to do something a bit more complicated next. I really like the colour schemes of the dog calendar so I might do something inspired by them.
alien
procrastinator

re fandoms: The only other fandom I was really involved in was the Supernatural fandom and it's interesting to see the vast differences and some similarities between the two fandoms(I could write so much about this lol). Most recently being the address leak. In the SPN fandom most people were very "whatever" about addresses being found because it was all public record (that was the excuse everyone gave). And I honestly wasn't ever bothered by it but yesterday I realized I feel more protective of DnP because I genuinely felt bad their address was leaked. I think it's because their personalities are completely different from the actors of SPN and there's also a difference in familiarity. DnP feel like internet friends and not out of touch celebrities.

But yeah I stopped being active in that fandom because I felt like it got to a point where we were just having the same exact conversations over and over again. The same exact drama are arguments kept happening and I was just so tired of it lol. And of course the show itself got worse and worse.

1) Would you rather only ever be able to watch videos on Dan’s channel or Phil’s? Why?
-Phil's. He uploads way more often and Dan appears frequently on his channel.

2) What do you prefer - Dan’s liveshows or Phil’s? Why?
-Dan's. 'm more interested in what he tends to talk about in his liveshows than I am of what Phil talks about but I love Phil's ls an always walk away with a big smile on my face because of him.

7) What was your favourite dnp meme of this year? (e.g. week in march, moving theories, phil + the vase, any other memes u can think of).
-The vase thing was hilarious especially because it showed up a couple times and even made an appearance in Dan's video.

8) Favourite livestream of the year? (Can be singular, joint, or gaming)
-I'm not gonna go look but the first that comes to mind is the one where Phil "pranks" Dan with the plant water thing.
blueskies
phillion/danosaur <//3

Happy New Year to those who've passed the midnight mark! :D

I think I must be in the minority here when I say that the phandom is one of my earliest fandom experiences? My very first fandom was Harry Potter - I read a lot of fic, stalked tumblr and lurked around on forums (but never actually said anything). Then came Voltron, which I dabbled in for a short while and consequently gave up on - all I did was read fic, I didn't even watch the show after a while. Then my deppy obsession began and here's where I landed today :garbage:

For me, the main gateway into any fandom will have to be good fanfiction. I'm in it for the fic. All the fic. Give me good fanfics and I know I will quite happily jump headfirst into anything.
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

I just caught up on several pages and really like this topic of fandom involvement. I was never really active in fandoms, but was moreso obsessed with things quietly. I lurked on fandom tumblrs and commented on things periodically but never made fan accounts or was super involved. I was a fandom lurker for Glee, 1D, A Very Potter Musical/Starkid, Sherlock, Doctor Who. Is nerdfighteria a fandom? If so, that's the longest I've been in something and been active. More recently, I've been reading fanfic for the shows I watched growing up- White Collar, West Wing, ER. I think I miss having new content so reading fanfic is my way of getting that
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
gnostic
stress mushroom

Ayyy lmao coming thru with true vintage shit Warrior Cats popped my online fandoms cherry back in 2006!
Just here for the marketing skills
nigel ratburn
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

re: fandom history

my first fandom was harry potter, and it was the first one that i discovered fanfiction through (i think i read through every single fic that was on the astronomy tower when i was like twelve, which would have been around 2008). the next one i was really involved in was psych, which i wrote fanfic for (really, really, awful fanfic that has since been deleted), and then glee, which led me to tumblr and generally ruined my teenage life. i was more passively into things like doctor who, mcu, and adventure time, but i was never a part of any real community around them. i was really into the vlogbrothers and called myself a nerdfighter around 2011-2013, and around 2011 i got into deppy, but i wasn't interested in their fandoms at all at the time.

i guess glee ending left a void in the part of my brain that always needs to obsess over something (also a void in my soul because...glee.), because in early 2015 i hopped aboard the deppy train to speculationville and haven't been off since.
Kimship
glabella

My first fandom, when I was a teenager, was X-Files. I was a shipper when shipper only meant Mulder/Scully. I think it quickly spread, but I was there, near the beginning. Wow, that made me feel old. Now, I was not an active person in the fandom, mostly searching for and reading fics. That's mostly what I do; I'm a lurker. The only time I was at all active in a fandom was Glee, but that was only for a couple of years, even though I'll still read fics. I actually still seek out fics from old fandoms with some regularity(I always love me some Fraser/RayK or CLex). I still miss livejournal communities, and places like fandom_wank(because mocking drama is better than being embroiled in it).I

So, my modest number of posts here is actually the most active I've been in a fandom in several years. I wouldn't be even this active if it was only on Tumblr and Twitter, but IDB is so chill and welcoming and also still so excited and discussiony.
sunshinias
spork

gnostic wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:56 pm Ayyy lmao coming thru with true vintage shit Warrior Cats popped my online fandoms cherry back in 2006!
Same here! A lot more recently though haha

Before that I used to be pretty active on the pokécommunity forums, but I never thought of that as a fandom at the time.

I've read fic for HP but never really gotten into the fandom side of things.

My first YouTube fandom was JSE/Felix/Mark fandom, idk what that's called. Then I slid into the phandom januaryish when I started losing interest and found IDB; I've always preferred forums over Tumblr or twitter and the like
:sunshine: ~let in a little sunshine~ :sunshine:
onetruetrash
blobfish

dansnose wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:55 amRE: stalking- i’m mutuals with one of the girls who bumped into him and it pains me how a happy coincidence that was supposed to make them happy turned into this ugly mess that was blown out of proportion by people who always start drama sigh.
I swear every time I decide to see what's happening on IDB I have something to say. But are you really trying to say that cumberphan, who already knew Dan and Phil's address, just HAPPENED to bump into Dan right next to their house? gtfo with that bs.

And how dare someone tell people to respect Dan and Phil's privacy!!!!!! THE AUDACITY
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Kimship wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:43 pm My first fandom, when I was a teenager, was X-Files. I was a shipper when shipper only meant Mulder/Scully. I think it quickly spread, but I was there, near the beginning. Wow, that made me feel old. Now, I was not an active person in the fandom, mostly searching for and reading fics. That's mostly what I do; I'm a lurker. The only time I was at all active in a fandom was Glee, but that was only for a couple of years, even though I'll still read fics. I actually still seek out fics from old fandoms with some regularity(I always love me some Fraser/RayK or CLex). I still miss livejournal communities, and places like fandom_wank(because mocking drama is better than being embroiled in it).I

So, my modest number of posts here is actually the most active I've been in a fandom in several years. I wouldn't be even this active if it was only on Tumblr and Twitter, but IDB is so chill and welcoming and also still so excited and discussiony.
Omg X-Files was the first fandom I ever read fic in - does it pain you as much as it pains me that we didn't get more updates from Dan and Phil as they watched the series? If they put in the effort to watch ten seasons you KNOW they had to have some feelings about it.

(Also miss livejournal communities so much. Especially f_w.)