Dan & Phil Part 64: Poptropica 2: Dragon #SPON

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Wow, guys, so what did you all think of the new video?? I can't believe they really put on dragon costumes and mimed breeding in a hot air balloon while solving an island mystery.

rizzo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:15 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:11 pm
rizzo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:08 pmIn other news, I'm reallyreally going to need Dan and Phil to post a video now. Any video. I don't care. Just give me content. Feed each other sushi. Read each other's horoscopes. PINOF 9.5. I don't care. I'm desperate at this point.
My guess is we'll get a video next week. Fifth, sixth at the earliest - and since Dan didn't have a video in December (ISG was Nov 29) I'll go further and predict that Dan will ask for memes tomorrow, and we'll get that video over the weekend. Then once the dust settles after, a gaming video.
Look, I know your whole thing is "logic" and "sensibility" and like, "based on Dan and Phil's history", but they could literally do a "poptropica 2: dragon #spon" and I'd eat it up like the desperate trash I am. So let me just pray here that you're wrong and we get something sooner.

:please:
(you honestly do not want to know how long i spent making that.)
alch
ar·tic·u·late

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:59 pm
honestly this idea surprises me so little I legitimately thought this was a real gaming video that I'd missed
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

omg bless you for making that I am DEAD :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"...and you'll watch anything!" is so true i feel attacked lmao
and capita£ester sitting there looking so pleased in the thumbnail :lol:
"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue:
MyCartoonHeart
tol bean

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:59 pm Wow, guys, so what did you all think of the new video?? I can't believe they really put on dragon costumes and mimed breeding in a hot air balloon while solving an island mystery.

This is beautiful. Thank you for bringing this into the world :rofl:
fancybum
senpai

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:59 pm (you honestly do not want to know how long i spent making that.)
Time well spent :thanks:
I especially love the little touch of semi-camouflaging the #AD in the corner. Tsk tsk Phil :lol:
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

Amazing new thread name, I love it :lol:

Not to drag on the rebrand discussion, but I was asleep through the whole thing so here I am now with my hopefully-still-relevant opinion. I agree very much with everything fancybum has said, and think above all that changing his username to Daniel Howell was just something Dan wanted to do for his own sake. I think he just felt that he'd grown apart somewhat from 'danisnotonfire'. It was a username he chose as a teenager, and he's done a lot of growing and maturing in the 10-15 years since. I mean, I'm sure most of us chose online usernames when we were teenagers that we would look back on now and consider cringeworthy.

Ultimately, I think Dan just wanted to take a further step toward reaching a sense of authenticity with his audience (or at least, a sense of authenticity within certain boundaries that he felt comfortable with), and this was one step toward that. Of course, 'Daniel Howell' does also look more professional than 'danisnotonfire', and I think that also played into his decision to go ahead with the change. He made a video on it because a) he needed to make a video and felt that would be a good topic and b) people would have flipped out if he'd just gone ahead and changed his username without saying anything.

I also wanted to say that I sympathise with Dan constantly looking back on his not-so-distant past as cringeworthy, and while it may come across as tedious I think it just stems from insecurity and self-doubt. I'm exactly the same way, and while of course I wish that both Dan and myself could look back on past accomplishments or phases with pride, or even just recognition that while they are no longer relevant to himself/myself as a person they once provided us happiness and comfort, it isn't that easy. Dan's only human, and while I agree that self-deprecation is not to everyone's taste, and can be difficult to watch, in cases like Dan looking back on himself of only a year or so ago and openly cringing, I can really only empathise.

(Having said that though, I do find the over-the-top reactions in the meme videos difficult to watch sometimes, if only because I perceive Dan to be playing them up, which makes me cringe. It's more the screechiness than anything, tbh.)
Whommel
sofa crease
Pronouns: They/them

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:59 pm Wow, guys, so what did you all think of the new video?? I can't believe they really put on dragon costumes and mimed breeding in a hot air balloon while solving an island mystery.

This is a work of art. Well done! :respekt2:
I would watch it though, ngl.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

The 91 million views in the "screenshot", I'm deceased. Thank you, dizzy.
alch
ar·tic·u·late

sonicgreen wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:41 am The 91 million views in the "screenshot", I'm deceased. Thank you, dizzy.
also the like-dislike ratio. dizzy i love you
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

I don't know, looks pretty unrealistic to me. Phil wouldn't use the Oxford comma. ;)

(This is brilliant, dizzy! :D)
MyCartoonHeart
tol bean

alch wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:01 am
sonicgreen wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:41 am The 91 million views in the "screenshot", I'm deceased. Thank you, dizzy.
also the like-dislike ratio. dizzy i love you
I didn't even notice those at first! :lol: It's also over 17 minutes long. Gotta make sure to get those ads!
greenergrass
stress mushroom

somethingsketchy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:20 am I don't know, looks pretty unrealistic to me. Phil wouldn't use the Oxford comma. ;)

(This is brilliant, dizzy! :D)
What kind of heathen doesn't use the Oxford comma?! ;)

(this was amazing dizzy. definitely the best thread name post of idb history)
fancybum
senpai

captainspacecoat wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:25 am I mean, I'm sure most of us chose online usernames when we were teenagers that we would look back on now and consider cringeworthy.
Pfft “look back on,” some of us (..me) are still actively choosing cringeworthy names :lol:
I also wanted to say that I sympathise with Dan constantly looking back on his not-so-distant past as cringeworthy, and while it may come across as tedious I think it just stems from insecurity and self-doubt. I'm exactly the same way, and while of course I wish that both Dan and myself could look back on past accomplishments or phases with pride, or even just recognition that while they are no longer relevant to himself/myself as a person they once provided us happiness and comfort, it isn't that easy. Dan's only human, and while I agree that self-deprecation is not to everyone's taste, and can be difficult to watch, in cases like Dan looking back on himself of only a year or so ago and openly cringing, I can really only empathise.
And just :thanks: :thanks: to this. I cringe about things I did last week and I’m already cringing about things I’ll do tomorrow, never mind things from 5-10 years ago, and I don’t have to deal with the internet reminding me of every embarrassing second of my life I’ve actively tried to repress over the years (and the degree to which other people would agree on whether I “should” find certain things embarrassing or not doesn’t lessen the feeling one bit). And another part of it, in one of Emma Blackery’s videos (pretty sure it was her, but I don’t remember which vid) she talked about how the internet is constantly happening in the present, making personal growth online a tricky thing. Because people new to her, or to Dan, watching a video for the first time that was made and posted 5 years ago, that viewer is experiencing that old/outdated version of Emma or Dan now. It’s not something they can just move on from because the internet doesn’t forget and is constantly a snapshot of any point in time a viewer happens to be watching. Right now, every version of Dan at every point in time that he’s uploaded to the internet is being experienced as a current person to somebody. Like, someone is watching him freak out about dropping out of uni like it just happened.

So with that in mind: yes, longtime viewers picked up on the llamas and placenta not being a thing in recent years, and already being cringe from Dan’s more current perspective. But for all the constantly revolving newcomers, diving into his past in the present and latching onto the things he’s long left behind, I think it makes good sense to have that marker in video form, just saying ‘hey I’ve moved on from this now, whether that’s new information to you or not, this is where the official line is between me-then and me-now.’ (And ‘moving on’ from something doesn’t just make it verboten forevermore, like damn, I thought him getting that xmas llama jumper was just funny and that’s all there was to it).
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
000dia000
emo goose

that screenshot is brilliant dizzy :stan: I love dragging the boys
:cactus:
Ablissa
pastel persona

Love the thread name, but LOVE the "fake screenshot". Made me laugh out loud. Thank you dizzy :rofl: :stan:
waves
smol bean
Pronouns: her / she

I have nothing to add except the screenshot is a true work of art :rofl: made me laugh out loud at the bus stop :rofl:
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Since I don't think we can expect a new video just yet, I wanna introduce a new topic to discuss. It's the opposite of the Capita£ester theme of this thread: Charity

Jacksepticeye, inspired by the Logan Paul incident, did an 8 hour charity livestream last night and raised over $200,000, far more than he expected. People were so angry at the whole thing but Jack was able to channel it into something positive. Another YTer that does a lot of charity streams and charity work is Markiplier, who was even voted Celebrity of the Year by the Make-A-Wish foundation. (I am sure there are a lot more YTers involved with charity, but those are the ones I am familiar with)

I know that Dan & Phil meet fans through Make-A-Wish sometimes, and they participated in that one UK charity livestream though it was just a brief appearance. And IIRC, they donated some of the money made with The Internet Is Here to said charity.

Is it weird that I sometimes wish they did a bit more? They have a lot of power, and they could use it for a lot more than merch sales. Or are they approaching it differently, more indirectly - Dan's MH video and him joining Young MInds certainly brought attention to the issue. How well can the charity receiving Jack's $200,000 actually use the money, or is the biggest success of that stream the awareness? What could Dan & Phil do to make the world a better place, or are they doing a lot already?

(I don't feel like I am particularly good at introducing new topics. I don't mean to paint D&P in a good or bad light, I'd just like to hear everyone's opinion!)
so_cheesy
butt chair

It’s awesome when youtubers do charity work, however I feel like it’s not very fortunate to start comparing how much and what kind. It’s not a competition. I think Dan and Phil do their share
citizen_erased
truth bomb

LtrllySusan wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:39 am Since I don't think we can expect a new video just yet, I wanna introduce a new topic to discuss. It's the opposite of the Capita£ester theme of this thread: Charity

Jacksepticeye, inspired by the Logan Paul incident, did an 8 hour charity livestream last night and raised over $200,000, far more than he expected. People were so angry at the whole thing but Jack was able to channel it into something positive. Another YTer that does a lot of charity streams and charity work is Markiplier, who was even voted Celebrity of the Year by the Make-A-Wish foundation. (I am sure there are a lot more YTers involved with charity, but those are the ones I am familiar with)

I know that Dan & Phil meet fans through Make-A-Wish sometimes, and they participated in that one UK charity livestream though it was just a brief appearance. And IIRC, they donated some of the money made with The Internet Is Here to said charity.

Is it weird that I sometimes wish they did a bit more? They have a lot of power, and they could use it for a lot more than merch sales. Or are they approaching it differently, more indirectly - Dan's MH video and him joining Young MInds certainly brought attention to the issue. How well can the charity receiving Jack's $200,000 actually use the money, or is the biggest success of that stream the awareness? What could Dan & Phil do to make the world a better place, or are they doing a lot already?

(I don't feel like I am particularly good at introducing new topics. I don't mean to paint D&P in a good or bad light, I'd just like to hear everyone's opinion!)
On one hand, I do agree they could do more. With that kind of platform and influence, they could (and should!) do a lot of good in this world.

But I also think that while they're (or at least Dan is) moving towards more socially aware topics like talking about politics and working with Young Minds, doing a lot of charity/awareness work is also sometimes a treacherous path. There's always people saying celebrities should do more, more, more, this charity is awful, why aren't they working for this cause, why are you always talking about this and not that, etc. I can understand why they'd be careful about it.

And besides, we don't actually know how much they do privately. Some people spend their entire fortune on charities anonymously and never tell a soul about it. We already know they do work for make-a-wish and young minds, and didn't they participate in project 4 awesome with some perks sometimes? There's something to be said for quietly doing charity work without telling the whole world about it every single time. I always feel like there are a lot of celebrities who do charity work just for the sake of showing the world what amazing and kind and caring people they are.
so_cheesy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:12 am It’s awesome when youtubers do charity work, however I feel like it’s not very fortunate to start comparing how much and what kind. It’s not a competition. I think Dan and Phil do their share
and also this. It's not a competition.

I'm not super awake since I've been following the bts outcast thing on twitter for a couple of nights, so my response might be a bit of a mess, sorry!
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

Just a thought. Why have we as a fandom not done more? It’s not all on them.

Quite a few fandoms I’ve been in raise money for people’s birthdays.
It’s probably too late to organise anything significant for Phils birthday but I’ve actually been considering setting one up for the boys.
I was thinking Young Minds for Dan and maybe WWF or Make A Wish for Phil? Feel free to offer other suggestions.
Unless someone has already started something I can start putting it together this evening.

We could also try to put something together for tour stops, donating goods for food banks etc but we would have to be careful that it was what those places actually needed.
Maybe for something like that we would need to liaise with IRL and have something near the merch?

Just ideas
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
so_cheesy
butt chair

Don’t get me wrong but a fandom raising charity money for any cause for the beloved celebrity’s birthday sounds very weird to me, unless the person themselves organize it like Colleen Ballinger does every year. Otherwise it’s awkward. But of course maybe that’s just me. Sorry if that sounds insensitive. If somebody wants to make a difference they can do it regardless of fandoms.
kavat
pastel persona

lilabet wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:55 am Just a thought. Why have we as a fandom not done more? It’s not all on them.

It’s probably too late to organise anything significant for Phils birthday but I’ve actually been considering setting one up for the boys.
I was thinking Young Minds for Dan and maybe WWF or Make A Wish for Phil? Feel free to offer other suggestions.
Unless someone has already started something I can start putting it together this evening.

We could also try to put something together for tour stops, donating goods for food banks etc but we would have to be careful that it was what those places actually needed.
Maybe for something like that we would need to liaise with IRL and have something near the merch?

Just ideas
I think this is a lovely idea. People do art and stuff for their birthdays, as well as fics for charity other times of the year. This way us non-creative-folks can contribute as well. I would definitely be interested in donating something.

The way I've seen them do it in the past has been through merch (the Manchester thing or The Internet Is Here) but none of that has interested me at all. I liked when they did the Best Fiends spon where they donated a bunch of money and we got a cute video. But this way we as a community can do something completely based on how much each person can contribute with.

I'm interested in seeing what people think.
blackdenim
procrastinator

kavat wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:27 am
lilabet wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:55 am Just a thought. Why have we as a fandom not done more? It’s not all on them.

Just ideas
I think this is a lovely idea. People do art and stuff for their birthdays, as well as fics for charity other times of the year. This way us non-creative-folks can contribute as well. I would definitely be interested in donating something.

The way I've seen them do it in the past has been through merch (the Manchester thing or The Internet Is Here) but none of that has interested me at all. I liked when they did the Best Fiends spon where they donated a bunch of money and we got a cute video. But this way we as a community can do something completely based on how much each person can contribute with.

I'm interested in seeing what people think.
I also think this is a great idea, I don't know how other fandoms do it but I would just be a little careful about giving donations to a charity in someone else's name for their birthday in case there is any kind of fraud issue or the boys just don't like it (although I don't really see how someone wouldn't like charity efforts on their behalf but you never know) but in essence a kind of charity drive around their birthday(s) or just as a general fandom effort I think is a lovely idea.

I've just arrived at work this morning to find out I've lost one of my jobs! So I have about 12 extra hours a week free until I find something new and I would love to channel some of that into a good cause - if you would like any help do PM me @lilabet.
liola
rankussy

That screenshot! I don't have time to even read back but oh my god dizzy my love for you just got bigger :rofl:
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
liola
rankussy

Sorry for double posting but I think the #phimmy lovers wouldn't want to miss this like from Phil. Especially @alittledizzy

Can we add this to "Phil is thirsty" file? (Sorry, the lack of content is boring)
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor