Dan & Phil Part 64: Poptropica 2: Dragon #SPON

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
momoroki
glabella
Pronouns: she/her

the bloopers were such a blessing... i also love the idea of dan being like "we are Not putting the furry part in the video" and phil being like "yeah sure it's probably a bit too inappropriate" but then him sneakily sneaking it into the bloops.
also wow haha! haven't been on here in almost a year but it's nice to see everyone's still kicking. this is probably the nicest community i've ever been part of and i hope to spend more time here in 2018
plastictrees
drama llama

loved the bloopers!! much as I enjoyed the furry bit my personal favourite was when Dan is lying under the bed and Phil is filming him whining and zooming in on him as the image of them both just lying on the floor makes my heart warm :love2:

Amazing work with the donations guys!! The only thing I can think to help those of you who may feel uncomfortable with the fact Phil didn’t set it up himself is when a fan adopted a monkey for them a few years ago? And they kept the certificate frame in their house for ages - idk just reminded of a similar thing where people did something in their name and they seemed really touched!
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

If Phil didn't see the donation campaign yet, he definitely has now - He was tagged in a tweet by another verified account (MakeAWishUK), which means he gets a separate notification (compared to mentions by us peasants).
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

I've always been interested in the logic (and money) behind advertising on youtube, and how the channels make money. I figured with their ongoing relationship with Youtube and how heavily D+P are promoted by them, they were going to be getting some of those premium ads and their CPM would be pretty high. With the whole Logan Paul thing going on, I was looking into Google Preferred and found, yup, they (or at least Dan, but I'm assuming both) are getting those good, good ads. https://www.youtube.com/yt/lineups/united-kingdom.html
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
Secretstanner
truth bomb

onceinaugust wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:30 pm I've always been interested in the logic (and money) behind advertising on youtube, and how the channels make money. I figured with their ongoing relationship with Youtube and how heavily D+P are promoted by them, they were going to be getting some of those premium ads and their CPM would be pretty high. With the whole Logan Paul thing going on, I was looking into Google Preferred and found, yup, they (or at least Dan, but I'm assuming both) are getting those good, good ads. https://www.youtube.com/yt/lineups/united-kingdom.html
That’s actually really interesting. I have no idea how ads work on videos so when I read about Logan being taken off the preferred channels google promotes (I didn’t even know that was a thing?!!) I wanted to know how it effected them. I mean it does make sense to why they never mention anything about ads with their videos like others do. I guess they really do have such a great connection with YouTube.
Kimship
glabella

Secretstanner wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:41 pm
onceinaugust wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:30 pm I've always been interested in the logic (and money) behind advertising on youtube, and how the channels make money. I figured with their ongoing relationship with Youtube and how heavily D+P are promoted by them, they were going to be getting some of those premium ads and their CPM would be pretty high. With the whole Logan Paul thing going on, I was looking into Google Preferred and found, yup, they (or at least Dan, but I'm assuming both) are getting those good, good ads. https://www.youtube.com/yt/lineups/united-kingdom.html
That’s actually really interesting. I have no idea how ads work on videos so when I read about Logan being taken off the preferred channels google promotes (I didn’t even know that was a thing?!!) I wanted to know how it effected them. I mean it does make sense to why they never mention anything about ads with their videos like others do. I guess they really do have such a great connection with YouTube.
It also probably explains why when that gaming video was demonetized (Truth Bombs #2?) it was remonetized so quickly. Advertisers want their stuff advertised, and if they're paying for preferred, they don't want to lose those views, either.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Kimship wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:23 pm
It also probably explains why when that gaming video was demonetized (Truth Bombs #2?) it was remonetized so quickly. Advertisers want their stuff advertised, and if they're paying for preferred, they don't want to lose those views, either.
If a video's demonetized, then it won't have ads on it at all, so the advertiser doesn't really care. Only the youtuber would, because it means they're offering less ad space and are therefore not making the money they could be.

More than likely, with these preferred channels, advertisers are paying to have their ads put on a specific youtubers' videos at a premium. Or maybe even just a specific "preferred video" category, like "preferred comedy" per that link. It doesn't matter to them what video it is, as long as their ad is being served to those viewers.

I actually think Dan and Phil's video was remonetized so quickly because of their strong and healthy and submissive relationship with YouTube. Their rep is probably someone senior who has direct contact with all the resources needed to fix literally any problem they may have. (I recall a time when their address popped up in a video at one point and they were able to edit it out of said video even though it had surpassed the maximum views for editing.) They're YouTube's starlets. Basically, if they send an email, it's always marked as urgent.
Kimship
glabella

rizzo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:37 pm
If a video's demonetized, then it won't have ads on it at all, so the advertiser doesn't really care. Only the youtuber would, because it means they're offering less ad space and are therefore not making the money they could be.

More than likely, with these preferred channels, advertisers are paying to have their ads put on a specific youtubers' videos at a premium. Or maybe even just a specific "preferred video" category, like "preferred comedy" per that link. It doesn't matter to them what video it is, as long as their ad is being served to those viewers.

I actually think Dan and Phil's video was remonetized so quickly because of their strong and healthy and submissive relationship with YouTube. Their rep is probably someone senior who has direct contact with all the resources needed to fix literally any problem they may have. (I recall a time when their address popped up in a video at one point and they were able to edit it out of said video even though it had surpassed the maximum views for editing.) They're YouTube's starlets. Basically, if they send an email, it's always marked as urgent.
My point was that if the video is demonetized, then their ad is not being seen by viewers, so it makes sense that in a preferred program that Youtube would be more responsive to reviewing/restoring because advertisers want that ad seen. Youtubers care because they lose money, advertisers might care(if they're paying a premium) because they're losing eyes. Youtube wants to keep those advertisers happy, so they'll be quicker to take care of things, since most views happen within the first day of upload.
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

lilabet wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:13 am
so_cheesy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:42 am Daily confession: Dan’s whining about the sirens for comedic effect always rubs me the wrong way. Somebody’s house is on fire, or somebody’s in danger, or somebody’s DYING and you complain about how the sirens are inconvenient to YOU. Uhh
I kind of felt the same originally and then I moved to London. There are so many sirens!
I live down down the street from a fire station, they have to drive past my apartment building to exit the street. It's tough to be sympathetic to sirens 24/7 when you are having to hear them drive past your bedroom often. I've gotten pretty ear-blind to them at this point, but I also am not trying to film things that rely on the sounds quality being the same
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Kimship wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:49 pm
rizzo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:37 pm

My point was that if the video is demonetized, then their ad is not being seen by viewers, so it makes sense that in a preferred program that Youtube would be more responsive to reviewing/restoring because advertisers want that ad seen. Youtubers care because they lose money, advertisers might care(if they're paying a premium) because they're losing eyes. Youtube wants to keep those advertisers happy, so they'll be quicker to take care of things, since most views happen within the first day of upload.
Sorry, don't mean to be pedantic. I promise I'm not trying to start an argument or anything! I work in media buying, so this is just my understanding of the whole thing.

I agree with you that ads are not being seen on a video that's demonetized, but advertisers don't care at all. They go to youtube and say "I want my ad on comedy videos from the preferred lineup." Youtube's like "Cool! That'll be a $10 CPM!" (I'm making that number up.) That CPM is a cost per 1000 impressions. The advertiser is only paying for people who physically SEE the ad. If a video is demonetized, ads aren't put on it, nobody's seeing it, and nobody's paying. The advertiser doesn't care, because their ad is on a monetized video and they are paying that $10 for every 1000 impressions they're getting on whatever other video is actually monetized.

Dan and Phil do care. Because, like you mentioned, most views happen within the first day. If they post a video that's demonetized and it gets 1 million views in a day, that's a ton of money they're missing out on, because advertisers have their ads on other videos that aren't theirs. This is also why I think that it's less that advertisers buy ad space on a specific YouTuber's videos and more so on a category. Because YouTube can't promise a CPM if they can't estimate/predict how many videos/ad space there will be.

I hope this makes sense and I don't sound ridiculous. :?
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

Both of them are in the premium line-up. I found another link: http://www.youtube.com/yt/lineups/uk-comedy.html
dancy
procrastinator

somethingsketchy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:00 pm
Both of them are in the premium line-up. I found another link: http://www.youtube.com/yt/lineups/uk-comedy.html
That's certainly interesting! Kinda surprised to see BFvsGF there as well since that channel is nowhere near as popular as it used to be when Jesse and Jeana were still together. Hm, seems like DAPG isn't in the gaming lineup though https://www.youtube.com/yt/lineups/uk-gaming.html

I hope Phil will do a live show today but I'm expecting him to cancel it since he's sick :(
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

somethingsketchy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:00 pm
Haha Phils idea to pick a name starting with A definitely worked out here. I love that he considered where on a list it would fall when deciding (also a reason not to rebrand).
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
laur
smol bean

OKAY so apparently we are kicking off the new year with THIS?! What do y'all think? Is that Dan on the tube or not??
I feel like this is the new "dress" because I can look at one picture and it doesn't look like him but then I can look at the other picture and it looks similar to him. Isn't that Phil's jacket?????
Personal space? Nonexistent.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

I don't like discussing creep shots.
alien
procrastinator

laur wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:38 pm OKAY so apparently we are kicking off the new year with THIS?! What do y'all think? Is that Dan on the tube or not??
I feel like this is the new "dress" because I can look at one picture and it doesn't look like him but then I can look at the other picture and it looks similar to him. Isn't that Phil's jacket?????
It doesn't look like Dan to me but I feel for whoever it is lol (and maybe it is him idk)
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

alien wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:41 pm
laur wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:38 pm OKAY so apparently we are kicking off the new year with THIS?! What do y'all think? Is that Dan on the tube or not??
It doesn't look like Dan to me but I feel for whoever it is lol (and maybe it is him idk)
Haha what?? No god no that looks nothing like him. Sorry it's a no from me.
not like I know his face from every angle and know every single freckle but...
Don't judge me
I'll be shocked if that's him tbh
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
lilabet
philussy

Why do people take photos on the tube? I hate it.

Also how is that Phils jacket? He doesn't have a one off. He buys his stuff from topman so everyone has it.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

It's a no from me on that being Dan. Those pants look way baggier than anything Dan would wear, I don't see freckles on the cheek, and the mouth/chin shape look wrong. Good doppleganger, from the right angle, but I'm suspecting with a more head on view it would not be as much of a resemblance.
DatCog
blobfish

Not a fan of creep shots - poor bloke whoever it is! Dan had longer hair in the yoga slippers pics a couple of days ago so unless he's had a recent haircut, there's no way that's him.
simmehchan
butt chair

Ahhhh :D

"I think stalking someone to become their friend is rather weird" - Phil Lester, 2006
DatCog
blobfish

simmehchan wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:36 pm Ahhhh :D
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
How wonderful, I love Phil!

Hope that quietens the doubters now :)
Last edited by DatCog on Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liola
rankussy

What an absolute lovely man he is 💙💙💙💙
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

Oh my god what an angel 💙
I'm so happy he saw it guys congratulations to everyone who has donated so far!!
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

simmehchan wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:36 pm Ahhhh :D
Is there a particularly large onion in the room? I appear to be tearing up.

:happytears:

I love you guys and this whole thing.