Small youtuber recs?

kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

My latest obsession is Sailor J. She's got 180k subs so not that small anymore but she's only been around for a few months so not a lot of people know about her yet. She's hilarious, makes drunk book reviews and make up videos while making very funny points about feminism and racism. This video made the rounds on tumblr and is one of my faves.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

kavat wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:45 am My latest obsession is Sailor J. She's got 180k subs so not that small anymore but she's only been around for a few months so not a lot of people know about her yet. She's hilarious, makes drunk book reviews and make up videos while making very funny points about feminism and racism. This video made the rounds on tumblr and is one of my faves.
i am 100% seconding this. please everyone who checks out this thread, watch her! she's so good!
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

that made me chuckle, thanks :lol:
she's good.
art in avatar by lily
kavat
pastel persona

Reviving this thread! I've been watching a lot of MagicianBelle lately. Most people might now her as TomSka's girlfriend Charlie, but she has a wonderful art channel. I'm not a creative person but I love watching others be creative and do their thing. She has a very calming voice and her art is wonderful.
phillyannie
not a first-time poster

Baz Pierce (16k)
Christie Tyler (38k)
Zannah (52k)
Byron Denton Vlogs (4k)
SuperSamStuff (27k)

Lots of good recs here! <3
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

Jessica Kellgren-Fozard (248k)

ive only been subbed to her recently so i still have some catching up to do. from what i know, shes a lovely vintage gal that has a hearing disability (caused by her chronic illness) and is currently happily married to her wife. she also has two dogs.

Last edited by lefthandedism on Sun May 20, 2018 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed youtube embed
"you are next to me in my life"
charlottekath
squish

ame wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:17 am Jessica Kellgren-Fozard (248k)

ive only been subbed to her recently so i still have some catching up to do. from what i know, shes a lovely vintage gal that has a hearing disability (caused by her chronic illness) and is currently happily married to her wife. she also has two dogs.

I adore Jessica she is so lovely and her videos with Claud are just so wholesome? They just spent 2 months earlier in the year travelling round Malaysia (where Claudia has family) which was a bit different to her normal vlogging/video style but so fun.

She also does some great collabs, which led me to finding the online CUTEST meeting story between Megan (who Jessica has collabed with a few time) and Whitney that rivals DnP for extra travelling to see one another

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Dragging this thread out of the depths because I want some new people to subscribe to in 2019!
kavat
pastel persona

Here's my tip: Gunnarolla! He's a youtube dinosaur who had a few viral videos years ago, but the algorithm has not been kind to him lately which is so sad because he makes such high quality content. His travel and food vlogs look like they belong on tv (and now he actually works for tv which is awesome!), and he also makes both funny and genuinely good music. For example, he has made the theme tune to Hank & John's podcast but also a song dedicated to Comic Sans. His channel trailer gives you a good taste!
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

half-asleep chris has a pretty artistic style akin to scrapbooking but in video format. am i making sense? idk. they are really very well edited too. he mostly talks about his travels but sometimes his cats get their own time under the spotlight too. i came across his videos through the one where he made a red bridge for his cat reggie (rip reggie) and ive subscribed since.

sidenote: i literally just got a blast from the past when i saw you rec gunnarolla. i met him before in one of his meetups and im pretty sure my photo w him is still somewhere in the depths of my facebook
"you are next to me in my life"
dc34
glabella

I get to spon some of my faves

So, these are the ShibSibs and they have 166k subs

They are the 2018 olympic bronze medalists in ice dance, and they are a brother sister duo from the US

Their channel really blew up after the olympics, but they are my fave figure skaters. If you want insight on what it takes to be a world class athlete, this is a good channel. They aren't competing this season, so the recent stuff isn't about competition but more about ice shows.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

OMG I love this; I was a figure skater (I was on the national team but not olympic-level) and I wish YT had been around back then! This is so good.

I'm going to rec my IRL and Tumblfriend who just started up again on YT after an 8 year break; there is a DNP clip in the first one!
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I have been obsessed with HauteLeMode since this video popped up in my youtube recs and I ate up the entire thing:

And while that vid is one of his more serious fashion critiques, he makes plenty of content that's a perfect mix of sassy commentary backed by valid, well-researched and knowledgable points on fashion. He's just genuinely fun to watch, but I'd say only if you've got at least a small interest in fashion.

If I had to make one solid rec from him, I'd say his ~video essay~ on Freddie Mercury is brilliant:

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

A complete grab bag of smaller channels I've been enjoying:

Swell Entertainment - I found her through her Tanacon videos (I think Shane Dawson even used some of her footage?) but she's got an "I tried ___ so you don't have to" series that I definitely enjoy the honest take of.

Defunctland - This one is kind of cheating, it's got more subscribers than I'd normally count as a small channel, but the content feels like not mainstream youtube anyway. It's basically a channel that talks about the history of theme parks/theme park rides/etc that have shut down. Their Action Park one is intense, but it does involve discussion of injury and death, so I'm gonna link to something a little lighter instead.

Shelbizleee - She does a lot of stuff focused on zero waste and minimalism but she's very down to earth and not preachy about it - which I appreciate, since I'm only in the first steps of trying to emulate that. My favorite is her anti-haul series, where she just lists products that really annoy her because they're so wasteful and gives alternatives. The videos have kind of a nice vloggy feel, and sometimes her girlfriend shows up.

Alexandria Ryan - I found her through this Sephora advent calendar video so that's what I'm going to link but she mostly just does unboxings. I've found her really pleasant to leave on in the background while I work.

MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:25 pm
Defunctland - This one is kind of cheating, it's got more subscribers than I'd normally count as a small channel, but the content feels like not mainstream youtube anyway. It's basically a channel that talks about the history of theme parks/theme park rides/etc that have shut down. Their Action Park one is intense, but it does involve discussion of injury and death, so I'm gonna link to something a little lighter instead.

+1 to this. This channel also has a series called DefuctTV where they recently did a video about Bear in the Big Blue House and I love children's television so much.
kavat
pastel persona

I can't believe I haven't reced her before, but today I'm here to talk about Chloe Dungate aka ScarfDemon. I've been rewatching her videos all day because they are just so calm and funny and lovely. She's an artist who does a lot of art videos, but also story time animations, monthly vlogs and collabs with her friends. I just really like her aesthetic and style. You might recognize her if you follow the Jack/Hazel/Dodie/Daniel J crew, or from Tomska's vlogs, as she's friends with that lot.

Some videos to start with:

greenergrass
stress mushroom

Steph and Kristen, the channel name is "Kristen McKenzie". Link to channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqiChQ ... qNw/videos

Lesbian couple from Canada,
winners of
The Amazing Race Canada season 4. They made the channel in 2016 right after their season of the race aired, and I just found it this weekend after watching the season on youtube. I've only watched a couple of their videos on youtube so far, but I loved them on the race so I'm reccing the channel anyway. They were great competitors on the race - helps that they are athletic, they both went to the states on college softball scholarships (shock shock lesbians playing softball hahah; sounds like a dumb stereotypical joke, but there really are a disproportionately high number of queer softball players, it's a thing lol) - and they are cute and fun.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Yes, hi. If you're not watching Micarah Tewers, you're missing out on potentially the best comedic content on YouTube.

If I had to recommend a video of hers, I would recommend.... literally any one of her videos.
kavat
pastel persona

I've been thoroughly enjoying Dog Logic lately, an animated project by Chloe Dungate (scarfdemon) and Jacob Trueman.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

BringingUpRoses - She does 20-ish minute retrospectives on 90s tv shows. I'm really enjoying making my way through them.

GirlGang - I found this channel when she did a small house tour because... I just like watching small home tours sometimes. But I liked her enough to click through and found her coming out story and just developed a strong fondness for the vibe between her, her girlfriend, and her three year old daughter.

Casey Roman - A former reporter who is traveling the country in a van and doing neat videos from various places. As a person she's brutally sarcastic, but she's funny and I really do enjoy seeing the places she goes.

poweroftriangles
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

Jammidodger/Jamie Raines

340k subs so not all that small ig

He's a trans guy, and a lot of his videos are about being trans, but they're also an informative resource for anyone. He has the sweetest personality, and he and his fiancee Shaaba have a really adorable dynamic which I'm enjoying watching in these DnP-less times.
anti-YouNow club :sarcasticclap:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Very interesting video if you're curious about the financial aspect of smaller youtubers!

lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Chasten Buttigieg has just started up a YouTube channel, and at the moment has 1.08K subscribers, so I think that counts as small lol.

He's posting chats (that I think he's doing on Instagram) with various interesting people; he hooked me in with Peter Sagal, host of Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, one of my favorite podcasts:

"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
kavat
pastel persona

Hello hi, let me kick this thread alive with a rec

Past Bing Future Bing is a vlog project by Christopher Bingham (you might recognize him from old Tomska videos). He vlogged every other day of 2020 but is posting them now with alternating vlogs from 2021.

He has done this before a few years ago but considering what 2020 turned out to be, I think it will be very interesting to follow.

Here's the trailer for the project: