Dan & Phil Part 67: Laughter, Food and Sex

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

:respekt2: from me too, mermaidblood. I hadn't thought of Phil's video like that, but I'd been thinking about Dan and how he feels about his own videos in terms of insecurity going way back to things he's said before (some are old and I don't remember much, but things like "suddenly parents care" when Tabinof was a best-seller). I like this video a lot, but wondered what to make of so many sex jokes on the back of what just happened, and how snarky Dan was. I relate things back to myself a lot here especially regarding Dan so I wasn't going to say anything, I'm not always sure how much I'm projecting.

One thing I found cute in the video was the furry video was posted by an account whose name begins with "corgi" so, you know, boy's just been looking at cute dogs (that are actually Phil's favourite breed, not Dan's, whatever :dogue: ). I did as they demanded and checked out my own explore page and noticed some similar things I follow and actually look at, but there's an awful lot of random on there. Mine now comes with extra slime, though, cos those are the best, especially the little crackly balls (yet more sex pun not intended, but idk what else to call them).
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

A couple of honest closing thoughts I have after everything I read about "Dickgate" ;) on social media. For those who might relate or want to share their own.

-This reminds me why I have never been a fan of stardom or fandoms in general. In between the admiration, the annoyance, the disappointment and all the other emotions that get woven into the fan-star dynamic, I feel openness and perspective are the first casualties. (That said i spend so much time talking about these derps that i might as well call me a fan anyway)

-Much as I hate "brands" and "persona's", they seem to be inescapable to keep a firm barrier between what you want to try share publicly and what you'd rather people not talk about. Phil has chosen long ago to keep his public image as squeaky clean as possible, sharing little. That makes him rather flat and boring to me as a public entertainer but clearly also gives him a lot more of safety and protects him from criticism.
Dan, i was happy to see with the last video, wanted to share some more. People had a lot of emotions and wrote a lot of things about one joke that I fear did not mean what they wanted it to be. The moment he contradicted the narrative that was developed among some fans, people felt hurt and angry, and they turned on Dan rather than reflect on their beliefs and ask whether those may have been fully substantiated. I do empathize with the people who hoped it was a coming out for personal reasons, but it never was. I don't hold Dan responsible for far reaching conclusions that people have made that are ultimately based on a play of words.
What worries me even more is that I think some people now attribute Dan's response to fear and his depression rather than a misinterpretation of the situation (regardless of who's responsible for the misinterpretation). So rather than trying to find a common ground between their own thoughts and the apparent thoughts of Dan in the liveshow, a whole new layer of motivations and intentions get added to explain away the conflict in what was being said. We all have the right to believe in our own truth, but it does also mean nothing is at the core getting resolved here, and people just continue building their own truth on different wavelengths.
Luckily in this case it's about people we love and care for and not about serious policy with real consequences ;)

-From a youtuber's standpoint, it's important to be as little ambiguous as you can when you try to bring content that is a bit different from how people know and perceive you. Be sure to provide lots of context to every joke you make. Try be aware of the many narratives that are out there, and how they may twist the meaning of the message you're trying to put out. Be as tactful as you can be when misunderstandings arise, and don't try to snub people for interpreting something that is inherently dubious when you try to reclaim the message.
Also, probably best to close the tab when you read 54836 jokes about how you're sucking your friends dick and people get lyrical about the sex life they imagine you have.

-I fear Dan will read some of the blowback. While I think most people in general just enjoyed the video and aren't bothered much by anything he said in reaction to it, he'll focus on the negative. So I hope we haven't beaten him back into a smaller, safer box and that he continues to share his story about his mental health challenges and how he copes with them.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
kalli
butt chair

I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about Dan's video and liveshow. A mixture of frustration and sadness seems to be the reaction on here, and I guess that's fairly accurate for me too. If he's upset about people noting the dick sucking joke and this is simply some Quality Content™ nonsense, that's his own fault imo if he actually expected his audience to react differently. But if he's trying to be as open as possible and only realized he overstepped his own boundaries once the video was made available to the public, I definitely feel for him since I can't imagine finding a comfortable balance between openness and privacy being an easy task. idk, this boy confused me sometimes so imma let it go and hope he's doing okay.

I don't have much to say about Phil's video but I thoroughly enjoyed it! It made me curious about my own explore page which currently consists of pomeranians, makeup, sweet foods, memes, people in giant coats(?) and teeth lol. And I take back what I said about Dan's single hoop earring, I'm actually a fan of it.

Amiaw wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:15 am
EDIT: @Amiaw I actually did not know that? Can you (or someone) explain to me how to see what they're listening to on spotify btw? I'd love to creep on what dan is listening to i love his music taste
I think you need Premium but you just look up their names in search and when you click on their profile it will show recently listened. Phil's looks like this

Here are links directly to their profiles if that makes it easier for anyone: Dan's Spotify and Phil's Spotify. There's sadly hardly ever any activity on Phil's, but Dan's recently played artists tends to shuffle around every couple days.
liola
rankussy
Pronouns: she/her

yellowsubmarine wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:41 am
liola wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:08 pm Phil Lester, king of damage control, beauty, talent, kindness, looking good in black and liking men on his explore page without making too much of a fuss about it.

It's so sad to me bc of what happened yesterday that in the eyes of the fans Phil always looks like a saint in comparison. Dan can't have everything put together as well as Phil but what can you do. From now on, that's gonna be it (as if it's not been like that forever) praise Phil to the heavens take it out on Dan for breathing (i'm exaggerating... Phil deserves all the praise and.. yeah Dan kinda deserved it too but cmon.. it's really unequal)

I'm sorry i'm not feeling that good rn.
I don't think I need to clarify that I was obviously joking in a sarcastic way to find some lightness.

I disagree though. Phandom has complained about how closed off Phil is for years, praising Dan in comparison because he's more outspoken, he shares opinions etc. Hell for months phandom has jokingly called Phil robot for how closed he was.

So no, I think they're pretty balanced because when Dan is open in a positive way and doesn't backtrack, phil gets complains. But when Dan fucks up for the same reason, people see that what Phil does helps him not putting himself in a place of upsetting his audience. Phil is great at communicating what HE wants.

Speaking from a marketing perspective, in this instance Dan did a big communication mistake: he delivered a message, the audience took the logic explanation and he's trying to say we're the ones that got the message wrong. I 100% believe it comes from a place or fear and insecurity and I wanna hug him for it, but when he tried to blame his audience he's wrong.

If you fail at communicating your message, the "blame" is on you, not the collective
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

Stakhanov wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:14 am
What worries me even more is that I think some people now attribute Dan's response to fear and his depression rather than a misinterpretation of the situation (regardless of who's responsible for the misinterpretation). So rather than trying to find a common ground between their own thoughts and the apparent thoughts of Dan in the liveshow, a whole new layer of motivations and intentions get added to explain away the conflict in what was being said. We all have the right to believe in our own truth, but it does also mean nothing is at the core getting resolved here, and people just continue building their own truth on different wavelengths.
Luckily in this case it's about people we love and care for and not about serious policy with real consequences ;)
i'm not sure i see someone's motivations and a misinterpretation/miscommunication as mutually exclusive. if anything, they're directly related, right? someone's life experiences up until a point of communication totally inform how they perceive a situation. whether that perception and subsequent behaviour is objectively fair to both parties involved, is never guaranteed. at no point in his liveshow did dan say he doesn't put penises in his mouth, which if it were a true misinterpretation he wouldn't have been hesitant to clarify simply and in one sentence. instead he displayed behaviour he's intermittently displayed for 6 or 7 out of his 8 years online, so people picking up on that doesn't worry me at all. i see it as a good thing that people are perceptive and take into consideration states of mind the subject themselves have highlighted, with intention, otherwise a resolution and progress of any sort feels impossible. better understanding someone's behaviour is not synonymous with excusing that behaviour, for me. whether it's queer politics or the heinous murderers in the many true crime documentaries i watch.

**I do not consider daniel nor the people who used the coming out narrative as murderers, lol
art in avatar by lily
flurry
living flop

Sorry that I'm so late as usual but I'm only halfway through the live show so I'm not going to comment too much on that. But I do want to just give my thoughts on Dan's video if anyone wants to read it:

I was surprised at the reaction it engendered here - firstly because I don't really care much about what Dan does in his sex life -I just watch him because he is entertaining. And as far as entertainment went, that video .. wasn't great? It didn't enlighten me in any way and if not for the usual Dan sketches I would have been bored. I think Dan himself felt he had an epiphany on how to be happy and he decided to film it but it didn't seem thought through or detailed or anything really. I finished watching it feeling like it didn't add or change anything to what I already knew - which is not how his older videos on topics like meaning of life felt. So I was confused by all the positive reviews and I was glad to see others who felt like me - I thought I was the only one.

On the liveshow bit that I have watched: I have no idea what this boy is talking about LOL and the whole bit about him over thinking his videos always annoys me because this absolutely would not fly in any job!! Putting out so little content so infrequently because he has to get it perfect is such a luxury only youtubers with loads of money have - I'm rather envious, not going to lie. Yes being a youtuber is an actual job but there's also no need, I feel, to elevate it to the level of "artistry" that Dan seems to demand from himself.

Any thoughts?
hello9217
flower crown

flurry wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:33 am Sorry that I'm so late as usual but I'm only halfway through the live show so I'm not going to comment too much on that. But I do want to just give my thoughts on Dan's video if anyone wants to read it:

I was surprised at the reaction it engendered here - firstly because I don't really care much about what Dan does in his sex life -I just watch him because he is entertaining. And as far as entertainment went, that video .. wasn't great? It didn't enlighten me in any way and if not for the usual Dan sketches I would have been bored. I think Dan himself felt he had an epiphany on how to be happy and he decided to film it but it didn't seem thought through or detailed or anything really. I finished watching it feeling like it didn't add or change anything to what I already knew - which is not how his older videos on topics like meaning of life felt. So I was confused by all the positive reviews and I was glad to see others who felt like me - I thought I was the only one.

On the liveshow bit that I have watched: I have no idea what this boy is talking about LOL and the whole bit about him over thinking his videos always annoys me because this absolutely would not fly in any job!! Putting out so little content so infrequently because he has to get it perfect is such a luxury only youtubers with loads of money have - I'm rather envious, not going to lie. Yes being a youtuber is an actual job but there's also no need, I feel, to elevate it to the level of "artistry" that Dan seems to demand from himself.

Any thoughts?
If you look at the poster that Dan made in the video and you see what he himself considers traits he possesses; one of them was narcissism. I think Dan considers his channel to be a high level of content that he makes in order to impress "intellectuals". In my opinion this why he reacts to our reactions the way he did in that liveshow. He wanted people to get some kind of emotional, groundbreaking feeling when we watched it and then disliked how people (the phandom) "only focussed on the penis," his words, not mine. Maybe at the time he was okay with it but when he saw how overwhelming the reaction was and that people didn't have the exact emotion that he was specifically looking for then he just lashed out in typical dan fashion, which is to make everything come off as a joke.
flurry
living flop

thewaytobehappy wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:29 am Haven't watched the ls, but been reading the comments over breakfast.

Legitimately snorted at the suggestion of him getting a crew for filming/editing to meet ~*quality standards*~

Sweety, that's the least of your problems.

Your problem is barely uploading.
Your problem is 8 years into your career not being able to stay on a shedule.
Your problem is 8 years into your career still not knowing how to handle your audience in a professional way.
Your problem is a bizarre quality threshold for your mediocore content.
Your problem is your obsession with image over substance.

Don't waste money on a crew until you really worked on that.
WOW this is amazing! Took the words right out of my mouth. This is exactly what frustrates me so much when he bangs on about putting out quality content - at the end of the day it's just a word.

Sorry if the thread has moved on!
Stakhanov
haru pillow

mermaid blood wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:34 am
Stakhanov wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:14 am
i'm not sure i see someone's motivations and a misinterpretation/miscommunication as mutually exclusive. if anything, they're directly related, right? someone's life experiences up until a point of communication totally inform how they perceive a situation. whether that perception and subsequent behaviour is objectively fair to both parties involved, is never guaranteed. at no point in his liveshow did dan say he doesn't put penises in his mouth, which if it were a true misinterpretation he wouldn't have been hesitant to clarify simply and in one sentence. instead he displayed behaviour he's intermittently displayed for 6 or 7 out of his 8 years online, so people picking up on that doesn't worry me at all. i see it as a good thing that people are perceptive and take into consideration states of mind the subject themselves have highlighted, with intention, otherwise a resolution and progress of any sort feels impossible. better understanding someone's behaviour is not synonymous with excusing that behaviour, for me. whether it's queer politics or the heinous murderers in the many true crime documentaries i watch.

**I do not consider daniel nor the people who used the coming out narrative as murderers, lol
Thanks for your reply. An Interesting post with plenty in it that made me think. Let me unpack my thoughts piece by piece and procrastinate the pain away

"i'm not sure i see someone's motivations and a misinterpretation/miscommunication as mutually exclusive."

I agree. To an extent every communication must be motivated by something, otherwise we'd just be monkeys making random noises right? So yea i think there is always *some* mix of motivations that's behind everything he says. The hard if not impossible part is figuring out which ones.

if anything, they're directly related, right? someone's life experiences up until a point of communication totally inform how they perceive a situation. whether that perception and subsequent behaviour is objectively fair to both parties involved, is never guaranteed.

I mostly agree, though i don't think everything here is a matter of life experiences and perception. We have an "objective" fact to examine in this case which is there regardless of his perception and behavior. There are the actual words which he said and we can look at. We can put the explanation he provides in the livestream about his joke next to his words and we can judge if that explanation seems reasonable to us and if we believe he didn't catch the innuendo, or is trying to make fun of people who "didn't understand" etc. We have a material basis that can inform us and that is public and out there for everyone to see and draw conclusions about.
When it comes to figuring out his true intentions and motives though, there's a whole lot less to inform us. That's why I'm extremely hesitant to attribute this to fear and anxiety, his state of mind or historical patterns in his behavior. Which I don't think are really there to start with and are themselves based on previous conclusions people have drawn, without much objective confirmation about them.

at no point in his liveshow did dan say he doesn't put penises in his mouth, which if it were a true misinterpretation he wouldn't have been hesitant to clarify simply and in one sentence.

Agreed and this is why i think none of this says anything about his sexual identity or how he's backing away from it. It's rare to find a video nowadays where there is not at least some reference to same sex attraction in a way that's consistent with how they have presented themselves for a good while now.. be it "no label", "queer", "bi", "pansexual". They don't seem to want to confirm anything though. I think back at the interview with the Times, a publication that in the at least in the UK has some luster (regardless of whether you think the article was any good). When introducing themselves to other / new audiences they seem to take the line that their sexuality is 'private' and refuse to label themselves. Which i find meaningful by itself because few straight people would refuse to label themselves as straight. Though that is always a possible approach.

Similarly I would agree that he wasn't trying to say he "doesn't suck dick" or wanted to backtrack on his sexual identity in the liveshow. There were other ways to do that that were far more direct and in the end it are others, not he himself, who may have attached significance to that joke beyond what one can reasonably take away from it. I don't think it was a coming out.
"What can be taken away from it" is another one of those tricky and subjective questions that will differ depending on who you ask, but i do feel the person who is the primary source and actually made the statement to begin with is best suited offer an final interpretation on what it's supposed to mean. That doesn't mean i buy all his shenanigans around it about he didn't catch the double meaning (i think it's more likely he just misjudged the impact).

instead he displayed behaviour he's intermittently displayed for 6 or 7 out of his 8 years online, so people picking up on that doesn't worry me at all. i see it as a good thing that people are perceptive and take into consideration states of mind the subject themselves have highlighted, with intention, otherwise a resolution and progress of any sort feels impossible.

I think this is where we disagree most. I see a different meaning in his intermittent behavior in those 7-8 years and at least on "phan", the topic in which i most often see Dan's behavior and denials explained as Dan being insecure and/or fearful of people's reaction, I disagree. I think the more straightforward explanation is that he means what he says and I don't see how people can make all these assertions about what drives him on an objective basis.
I too am queer, i struggle with a lot of issues about being open about parts of my identity and it's easy to see parallels with one's own situation and assume others must be in a similar state of mind ... but that can turn out to be right or wrong in any given situation.
What worries me most I guess is that people who hope other people are feeling similar to them and imbue their behavior with motivations and intentions they have for themselves can get let down hard. It's easy to construct a narrative around other people if it's already one that you construct around yourself and your own life experiences. I'm not saying this is what anyone specifically does, but I do feel that this often happens in the fandom at large.
Like in this case the people who were very proud of Dan "being more open" and thinking he was "coming out" and who got inspired by that and wrote long messages of praise or used his words to build up their own resolve to change things in their lives... well it sucks that that's probably not what he intended. This is why my instincts and mind is wary to jump to any conclusions. A lot of his viewers are young, LGBT or searching for their own identities. It's a dangerous thing to weave that search together with the behavior of two men who (while i think they are good and charming people) we mostly know and represent themselves as professional entertainers. Even if they do that in a much more personal and 'blurry' medium than previously existed, and there might be some real parallels.
This worry may be totally inapplicable or sound like 'mothering' to (most) people here, but it's a genuine concern of mine especially when i remember that there are indeed also just a ton of young teens who watch them and may pin their hopes and dreams on them.
"the resolution and progress" you say is otherwise impossible i think is the narrative that is getting constructed around this, and if you believe in it that's fine but I'm wondering what good grounds there are here, which really inform us here that Dan was trying to be more open here about his sexuality. Other than the joke of which his own interpretation seems garner a lot of criticism.

better understanding someone's behaviour is not synonymous with excusing that behaviour, for me.

Here we agree. Are we understanding his behavior any better though? Or are we just constructing narratives and assuming intentions and moods on the basis of very little information indeed. Perhaps they help us smooth out any conflicts we have, but with the best will of the world i cannot see how we can know these people's true thoughts and emotions on the basis of a joke here and there or a 5 minute talk that only tangentially goes into the concerns raised, in a broader context that's full of ambiguity and in which i think we have to accept that it's mostly they who control what and how much they let us show and know of themselves.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

flurry wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:57 am
thewaytobehappy wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:29 am Haven't watched the ls, but been reading the comments over breakfast.

Legitimately snorted at the suggestion of him getting a crew for filming/editing to meet ~*quality standards*~

Sweety, that's the least of your problems.

Your problem is barely uploading.
Your problem is 8 years into your career not being able to stay on a shedule.
Your problem is 8 years into your career still not knowing how to handle your audience in a professional way.
Your problem is a bizarre quality threshold for your mediocore content.
Your problem is your obsession with image over substance.

Don't waste money on a crew until you really worked on that.
WOW this is amazing! Took the words right out of my mouth. This is exactly what frustrates me so much when he bangs on about putting out quality content - at the end of the day it's just a word.

Sorry if the thread has moved on!
Eh, can we not? We have no fucking idea what Dan's actual problem is when it comes to his career and why he's not uploading. Maybe having a professional crew will actually help him put out more content. Maybe it won't. But Dan has been in the business for eight years, as has been pointed out, and I'm pretty sure that even though he fucks up now and then, he knows what he's doing - way better than any of us just looking in from the outside. That doesn't mean we shouldn't criticise him. Yes, he does have problems handling his audience sometimes, we just witnessed that once again. But we don't know half of what he knows about Youtube, his own career and how it all works. Dan also works hard on the gaming channel by the way, he works with Phil on his channel too, he does great work for mental health organisations, he's planning a world tour atm, it's not like he's sitting around being lazy all day. He does do his job, he's just spacing it out over many different projects at the moment and what's wrong with that?

Time to project some more, but as a creative person whose job literally is to make art, I get Dan's struggle lately. You have an idea of what you want your art to look like but you have no idea how to make it look like that. The trick is to not expect too much of yourself and I think that's where Dan needs to go mentally. Not necessarily lower his quality threshhold, but accept that in his own mind his work will probably never feel good enough - that's the eternal struggle people with creative jobs face and that's why we overthink and edit and change our work until it's worse than it was before. That's a hard thing to learn though and I can't blame Dan for not being there yet, especially with all his mental health issues. Depression and anxiety make it so much harder to just accept your work for what it is because they constantly make you think it's not good enough, not deep enough and just generally bad. The thing is, Dan has the time and the opportunity to really think about what he wants his channel to be at the moment. Thanks to the gaming channel and the other side projects, he's in a place where not uploading to the main channel isn't that big of a deal and I actually hope he'll take a break from the main channel, figure out what he really wants to do with it and then come back with killer content he and his audience can be happy with.

Everyone's always like "His content is mediocre" but is it really? I actually don't think so. Compared to what other pouplar Youtubers put out, Dan's stuff really show that he's clever, funny and a damn good writer when it comes to his sketches. He's talented af and I think if he took some time to figure out what he really wants to do, he'd be amazing.
hello9217
flower crown

Katka wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:55 pm
Everyone's always like "His content is mediocre" but is it really? I actually don't think so. Compared to what other pouplar Youtubers put out, Dan's stuff really show that he's clever, funny and a damn good writer when it comes to his sketches. He's talented af and I think if he took some time to figure out what he really wants to do, he'd be amazing.
This is something that I definitely want to focus on. I know I've been saying a lot about Dan these past few days because I was genuinely upset about what he said but this is something I want to talk to talk about. I think Dan does make really good videos that are very funny, filmed very well, and and always try to include some kind of moral in them. His videos have high re-watchablity for me and I do enjoy them quite a bit. However the issue I'm focusing on is how much he hammers the point in about quality threshold. I don't really enjoy him dismissing what others do because it's not to his level. Like obviously the dude can make whatever he wants but I wish he said it in a way where it didn't make other peoples content feel lesser or as if it's beneath him. So yes Dan does make amazing videos in my opinion but I just wish he didn't say things that can come across as putting down not only other creators but also sometimes viewers who may enjoy this not "quality meeting" threshold.
autumnhearth
senpai

Thank you Katka and mermaid blood :tu:

I think for the first time when Dan asked Phil why he was here, as if he didn’t want to be, it actually seemed believable and that is a bit sad.

@hello9217 I might be dense, but what poster in which video?

Re: the weed thing. I remember the Formspring answer being referenced. Someone asked Dan ‘do you smoke?’ and his reply was ‘cigarettes: no’. So not a full admission, but I suppose it could imply that his answer to other things would be yes. Keep in mind this was about eight years ago. I have no opinion on the present. Am I the only one that gets annoyed at people calling it the ‘weed jumper’ when it’s clearly bamboo? Sorry, I just really like bamboo... and maybe lack a certain sense of humor.

Eta: Fuck yeah I’m a ‘flower crown’!
000dia000
emo goose

Katka wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:55 pm Everyone's always like "His content is mediocre" but is it really? I actually don't think so. Compared to what other pouplar Youtubers put out, Dan's stuff really show that he's clever, funny and a damn good writer when it comes to his sketches. He's talented af and I think if he took some time to figure out what he really wants to do, he'd be amazing.
No offense, but I think that a lot of positivity from Dan's videos come from those who are already familiar with his content, and make a connection with him through watching his videos for some time. I highly doubt that casual viewers really got into him through his more personal videos.
While I truly believe the work Dan has done for mental health has been brilliant, I do think he has higher aspirations and expectations for himself. I think he believes that he wants to help people by giving them valuable advice in these well-meaning videos. Unfortunately, I'm going to be cynical and say that most people don't want to click on a video about mental health, most people just want quick entertainment. I think that Dan is trying to separate himself from his past self of being an entertainer and is instead trying to be some self-help guru. Unfortunately, that's not what most people want, and I think a lot of fans don't really want that either. A lot of people's comments on his video said that was aimless and had no point to it. Dan didn't ground it with some story or anecdote from his life, and as, a result the only meaningful thing that people could pull was #dick. I don't know about anybody else, but I didn't really get into Dan for self-help, I watched him for entertaining videos. Along the way, you grow attached and you care for the guy, but not everybody is so immediately empathetic.

I think some people's opinions differ on this, one that some people may prefer reflective, self-help videos, and two the argument that this is the content that he actually wants to make. I can see a lot of responses probably bringing that up. But I personally feel that Dan has been a bit disillusioned with his audience, in that I think he has forgotten what kind of content actually brought in viewers and what content actually appeals to people. People wanted entertainment or even to hear anecdotes about his real life, but Dan has so far removed himself at times from talking about personal things that it holds so little substance. I think that the kind of content he makes now only really appeals to bigger fans, like people here on IDB. There's a kind of attachment and positive response because people are used to him, they like to watch him, and really any content is good content because we're used to seeing him. This may be controversial to say, but his content isn't actually that good. He makes meaningful videos but they're only to fans who are biased to his content. If you were to go in blind, not knowing who he is, your opinion of him may be entirely different. Again, I'm going to be cynical and say that I don't think he'll make the kind of content on his channel that people are looking for, I think he's both grown too much and also (sorry, his own words)too narcissistic at this point to consider where he may be holding himself back. When he holds such a high standard for "sophisticated" content, then I'll think he'll start to alienate his general audience.

I think people will feel very differently on this, and what exactly is a good quality video. I'm just speaking in retrospect of what is considered good content from a fan vs casuals perspective.
:cactus:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

mermaid blood wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:11 am
i'm gonna defy phandom flip-narrative and say i'm not totally stoked on either of their actions, right now, lol.

the majority enjoyed the AP video, and ultimately that's what matters; because i saw the genuinely hurt and confused people yesterday who felt shamed for cheering on openness and queer content. additionally i felt irritated at all the 'did he just come out??' i saw on tumblr briefly, as a queer person myself. all of these various reactions are totally justified, and all ends of the spectrum of reactions are to be expected, so i reel back at seeing others trying to sway the discourse with 'i wish' statements regarding other fans. (even though that is *literally* what dan did, yesterday).

the reason i didn't enjoy phil's video is what people above me have already pointed out - i personally don't think dan was ready, and i think phil was erroneous in encouraging him to make this video with him so soon, despite his very best intentions. what we got was phil being an absolute, carefree delight, and dan being very open in one or two instances ('up my ass'), but almost aggressively so; and cagey and dismissive the whole rest of the time. that does not benefit them, or us. when was the last time (or, ever?) you heard him minimising and acting ashamed over furry content? the theme of the video in fact, was shame. for the 'weird' non-sexual stuff, granted, but also for the sexual stuff in a way that left a bad taste in my mouth. yes, they were framed as jokes. but you could apply that to most things, and humorous delivery does not negate impact for every one.

dan is not in his best frame of mind at the moment. i got that sense from the first minute of the dinof video last week, before i even got to the blowjob joke. him speaking just reminded me so heavily of myself in a depressive episode, or just coming out of a bad one, struggling to stay above water and focus on the things that still make me feel okay. his message, about focusing on those things before you can focus on your other needs, was beautiful. i can't fault him for that. but that mindset, which is really heavy, coupled with including something that has perhaps been the most difficult thing he's ever gone through in his career (and continues to be, no matter the progress and enjoyment we witness these days), was just a recipe for a relapse of fear. i actually think dan's biggest fear regarding his content and career may be tied heavily to his self-esteem issues; he's demonstrated fear over not being good enough, not being popular or consumed for any reason other than being: a) pretty b) being a man who likes other men, or to a lesser extent, c) making trendy, sarcastic memey I'm JoeKing jokes. a core fanbase has demonstrated that this is not the case, they've stuck by him through shitstorms and through his changing looks (as in, he's still gorgeous, but not in the baby twink way when he came on the scene), read between all his lines, allowed him to fuck up and perceived him through a queer narrative, however difficult, taken him seriously even when he's not been able to ask for that through his defensive joking, and mourned when he announced less liveshows, his most honest and intimate format.

to my eyes, that is where the pretentiousness and the wanting to control his audience comes from. i suspect there was shock, that turned into disappointment when it triggered past memories, when his core audience reacted in the way they did. focusing on the thing he feels most anxious about instead of giving him our more lowkey, wink-wink-nudge-nudge, proud-but-not-totally-losing-it support he's become complacent in expecting. yes, he made a giant mistake in reacting the way he did, out of pure fear in a way that screams regression. both for himself, and for his impressionable audience who don't need to internalise any more negativity and shame on these matters.
i wish that phil could've viewed events through an audience's eyes, and maybe even through dan's, and done that video on his own. some of the things he said would've been groundbreaking on the Amazing Phil channel standing alone, and we'd be praising and excited just as much, but without the added discomfort of watching dan be kind of Not Okay.
furthermore, i think it's important for dan to get himself out of his own holes. not completely alone, it's near impossible for anyone who experiences levels of depression that he does (and I don't feel like i'm armchair-ing - he said himself at 0.50 he is 'very depressed', and that he's having a quarter life crisis, these statements were not framed as being in the past). just kept away as much as possible from making far-reaching statements and content in the way he has this week, so easy and so easily damaging as his job as a public persona allows. his fears about his content and his career have become entangled, yet again, in his sexuality, and this cannot feel anything less than painful and shit. it's hurting others too, though, and that's not okay. he's a grown ass man and phil is not responsible for him, (nor is dan's therapist, his family, his friends, or his audience), but i can't support phil's best intentions if they cause further damage (in my eyes).

so yeah, i'm all for a step away and re-grouping rather than trying to smooth over things that cannot yet be smoothed. there's nothing like a depressive episode to gather steam into a bigger and bigger snowball and flatten all the good out of things, and they need to be in their best frame of minds to get through this busy year. and to demonstrate the work dan has done with his charities by being the best versions of themselves on tour, for people who for better or worse, idolise them.

edit: for stupid typos
I basically agree with your entire post save this one part, which is what I'm gonna reply to - I think Phil doing this video alone, with all the male attraction references intact, would have actually made the situation a lot worse for Dan instead of better because it would have just highlighted Dan's recent issue and seemed like Phil was reacting to Dan's backslide by proving that he's not going that route. I think it would have actually felt like Phil purposefully distancing himself, so the fact that in the face of this when Phil did have that option he doubled down and included Dan anyway proves Phil had... genuine intentions that involved Dan, even if the execution was short-sighted. (Not that we disagree on Phil's intention here, I second everything you said about that.)

My ideal would have been a solo Phil video yesterday, but not this video. And then maybe in a few weeks or when Dan's in a better headspace they could have done the instagram video.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

000dia000 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:05 pm
Katka wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:55 pm Everyone's always like "His content is mediocre" but is it really? I actually don't think so. Compared to what other pouplar Youtubers put out, Dan's stuff really show that he's clever, funny and a damn good writer when it comes to his sketches. He's talented af and I think if he took some time to figure out what he really wants to do, he'd be amazing.
No offense, but I think that a lot of positivity from Dan's videos come from those who are already familiar with his content, and make a connection with him through watching his videos for some time. I highly doubt that casual viewers really got into him through his more personal videos.
While I truly believe the work Dan has done for mental health has been brilliant, I do think he has higher aspirations and expectations for himself. I think he believes that he wants to help people by giving them valuable advice in these well-meaning videos. Unfortunately, I'm going to be cynical and say that most people don't want to click on a video about mental health, most people just want quick entertainment. I think that Dan is trying to separate himself from his past self of being an entertainer and is instead trying to be some self-help guru. Unfortunately, that's not what most people want, and I think a lot of fans don't really want that either. A lot of people's comments on his video said that was aimless and had no point to it. Dan didn't ground it with some story or anecdote from his life, and as, a result the only meaningful thing that people could pull was #dick. I don't know about anybody else, but I didn't really get into Dan for self-help, I watched him for entertaining videos. Along the way, you grow attached and you care for the guy, but not everybody is so immediately empathetic.

I think some people's opinions differ on this, one that some people may prefer reflective, self-help videos, and two the argument that this is the content that he actually wants to make. I can see a lot of responses probably bringing that up. But I personally feel that Dan has been a bit disillusioned with his audience, in that I think he has forgotten what kind of content actually brought in viewers and what content actually appeals to people. People wanted entertainment or even to hear anecdotes about his real life, but Dan has so far removed himself at times from talking about personal things that it holds so little substance. I think that the kind of content he makes now only really appeals to bigger fans, like people here on IDB. There's a kind of attachment and positive response because people are used to him, they like to watch him, and really any content is good content because we're used to seeing him. This may be controversial to say, but his content isn't actually that good. He makes meaningful videos but they're only to fans who are biased to his content. If you were to go in blind, not knowing who he is, your opinion of him may be entirely different. Again, I'm going to be cynical and say that I don't think he'll make the kind of content on his channel that people are looking for, I think he's both grown too much and also (sorry, his own words)too narcissistic at this point to consider where he may be holding himself back. When he holds such a high standard for "sophisticated" content, then I'll think he'll start to alienate his general audience.

I think people will feel very differently on this, and what exactly is a good quality video. I'm just speaking in retrospect of what is considered good content from a fan vs casuals perspective.
You make a lot fair points, but i have to wonder: what is even the benefit for Dan and Phil to focus on casual viewers anymore? They've more or less been stagnant for a while now. Still (slowly) growing in absolute numbers but i'm not so sure about the amount of active views.
At the same time, they are wildly successful at capitalizing on their core audience. Second world tours, docu's, books merch it all sells as hot cakes. Apart from that financial measure of success, connecting to that core audience is also what they know best. It is the easiest content to make and potentially the most rewarding because in some way you can do more kinds of things - like making video's about your personal mental state (which I agree is not what most people are on youtube for).

It's hard to try look at his videos from a casual perspective. What drew me in were his early comedy sketches, especially the "problematic" humor he has now mostly abandoned. Still, it was not only that. I immediately empathized with him and that sense of a personal connection for me has always been the determining factor. Jacksepticeye, markiplier and pewdiepie may have tons of more content that i'd "technically" enjoy too, I don't really watch them that much.
He's not lost that i feel. So i do agree with @Katka in that I don't think his videos are generally mediocre. There's something about the combination of elements that always deeply appealed to me, and while it's really hard to detach what I feel for him in order to make a sober judgement about his content, I still feel that if I didn't have known him at all and just saw his most recent vids for the first time ever, i'd be intrigued by the titles, and like his content.
That said I have always thought that both of them mostly appeal to a relatively niche audience of people who are into that personal vlogging dimension (getting to know a person) mixed with some humor and good anecdotes.
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

The last, mmm, 20? pages have a been a rollercoaster, haven't they? So, I'm, like, super late to the party, sorry, but I'm recovering from a food poisoning and as I don't have an army of fans to sooth my pain with dog gifs (I'm not even a dog person *gasp*), I have to find a way to entertain myself somehow.

Confession time: I liked Dan's video. Yes, that one, the last one on his main channel. Not because I found it relatable or not (I didn't really), but because it was quick, funny, creative and generally well executed. I was a life update, with quite a lot of mini-sketches, it was focused on his own experience and he was only giving some advice in the end, at the same time explaining why it won't always work, like in his own situation. He wasn't at all preachy like in the Memeing of life (just rewatched it - still bad). Some of the thoughts, yeah, were familiar to the people who watch his lifeshows regularly, but it was the first time on the main channel since the depression video. And while he's already touched on the authenticity in Dan reacts to his childhood videos, it was in relation to the past, not to the present, which I found interesting this time. But more on that later.
000dia000 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:05 pm

More to the topic of the current discussion and the general quality of Dan's videos: I love them and I can't even watch more that one video a year from most of the other youtubers. First of all, @Katka :ribena: :tu: Second, how does he wants to be a guru? In 2017, except for the Memeing of life, which, ok, I admit, hard to stomach, all the others were either storytime, or more practical advice, or some hybrid of the two (like What NOT to do at University), or reaction videos, or collabs. There was also the rebranding video, but it was also more of a life update with some reactions thrown in. Even in his Truth video, the choice was between "doing something meaningful" and "killing it on youtube", but - what really stood out to me and surprised me in a good way - by uploading "casual entertaining content three times a week", not one mention of the dreaded "quality threshhold", or being relatable, for that matter.

As for the message of the Truth video, I'm not calling anyone out personally, but it seems to me that there were a lot of people, including on this forum, who said at the time that Dan's video wasn't that interesting because there was nothing new in it, except for the bj innuendo. I believe that if something could make him really unhappy, that would be it, see the latest amazing post by @mermaid blood. I think that the phandom collectively needs to understand that while they see deppy being guarded about their private life as a form of lie and a potential coming out as "the truth", Dan and Phil do not. At the same time, Dan is always seeking the truth about himself and making references to his "true self". It's just never about his sexual orientation. That said, the ls was sad and tense af and I didn't really like Phil's video either except for Phil in it. I agree with dizzy that the ideal would have been another solo Phil video yesterday and the instagram video some time later.

All this drama is just making me nervous about how the tour is gonna go down, especially with Dan repeating "give the people what they want" and "exploring our relationship with our audience" on every occasion :?

Also, I just learned that the French youtube page randomly translates titles and descriptions of the videos: for example, they did it for Dan's depression video and the 2017 memes video, but not for the other ones. Or does the youtuber have to click a button to enable translations? I wonder.

edited because I forget things and don't know how to write :(
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
parallel
phabergé

flurry wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:33 am Sorry that I'm so late as usual but I'm only halfway through the live show so I'm not going to comment too much on that. But I do want to just give my thoughts on Dan's video if anyone wants to read it:

Any thoughts?
I can understand his perfectionism, but it's definitely a problem he needs to work on. His "standard" for his channel is way to high for what his channel is, agreed.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

coffeepenguin wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:22 pm All this drama is just making me nervous about how the tour is gonna go down, especially with Dan repeating "give the people what they want" and "exploring our relationship with our audience" on every occasion :?
I've said a lot and felt a lot in the last few days and I'm mostly done with the topic but I think the problem is that Dan (and Phil to a slightly lesser degree) have shown that they either don't really know "what the people want" or are just too stuck to make the kind of content we really crave.

The people that are going to the tour are the die-hard fans. Some are going to like "phan" but some just like the chemistry between Dan and Phil and want to be entertained. I can only speak for myself but I don't want DnP to pander to me with "phan" moments if they are just doing it for their show and their brand. I also don't want them to fill their show with sex jokes because most of the time I don't even think that humor is funny. I just want to be entertained.

Dan said in his liveshow that he considers what he does stand-up comedy. Sometimes he is funny but he really needs to work on his humor if he wants to consider himself a comedian because imo I would never consider him an actual comedian, if anything I'd lump his "humor" into the same category as smosh - junior high bro humor. His humor works better when its paired with a skit and some kind of relatable story.

Phil gives the appearance of trying to do what the audience wants but looking at a few comments or picking something that's trending and making a lazy filler video isn't what I want either. I love Phil's personality and I've said that I could literally watch him read the phonebook for 10 minutes and be satisifed but the last few videos on his channel have actually felt like I've been watching him do that and I take it back. I want him to be engaged with his career and take his channel seriously. If he doesn't want to do that then he should let us know.

As for the tour- A big part of the phandom has been guilty of excusing their lack of engagement by saying they are busy with planning. I am sure it takes a lot of work but you know what? I have many obligations outside of my job but I'm not allowed to bring those obligations to work or let them affect my job and that has always been the case. I can't say to my boss or my customers "I'm sorry that I did a crap job but I have a sick child at home, soz" and hope it's cool because that is not how the real world works. So I empathize with them that tour planning is so crazy but since the planning itself is not really my concern or problem (especially because I paid for a ticket and all I should be concerned with is the final product) I'm not really going to accept that excuse.

As far as the drama and everything it boils down to, I was never concerned with what Dan said or joked about, I was upset with how he communicates with his loyal audience. Dan doesn't seem to understand that, or he does and just doesn't know how to change it, so I'm just going to leave it. In real-life I usually don't stay upset with people unless they've done something genuinely problematic and in this circumstance I can't have a two-way conversation with Dan and tell him why I'm upset so I've vented and I'm still going to watch dnp but I think my level of engagement will be a little different because sometimes I tend to forget that although Daniel and Phillip are real people, Dan and Phil aren't. I'll accept Dan as a "deep" comedian and Phil as a showman that is always on and take everything they say at face value. That's all I've really taken from this situation. I'll miss the days when I shipped phan and everything was fun but I'll be a little less stressed and I guess that's all I can hope for.
malday
emo goose

flarequake wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:28 am One thing I found cute in the video was the furry video was posted by an account whose name begins with "corgi" so, you know, boy's just been looking at cute dogs (that are actually Phil's favourite breed, not Dan's, whatever :dogue: ).
Another lovely moment in the video was at 10:12 when Dan said "it's me and you". I'm not sure if it was in reference to the two shiba inus having a "big fight" or the shibe refusing to let got of the remote control but either way it's endearing that Dan likes to compare him and Phil to dogs. It reminded me of the dog tweet someone mentioned he liked a while back:
flurry
living flop

katka I accept your views of course but I also want to point out that none of the things mentioned by the other poster I quoted were strictly conjectures - they're things that viewers can see ie. Not uploading frequently for instance. So yes we of course don't know the struggles he has daily, but does that excuse a constantly occasional (hah) upload schedule when it's literally his job? Everyone has struggles as you said yourself. I'm also a writer and if I produced things the way he did, I would have no money at all. No one is saying he's not doing anything now - we know now they're busy with the tour and I'm surprised by any videos at all. But you can't deny that over the years his upload schedule on his main channel has been sketchy at best.

Now I don't think his work is mediocre - I think there are some great videos but also some average ones. So to hold his channel to the standard of needing immense quality content for every single video just isn't feasible and it's what is holding him back - which is what the original poster I quoted really meant. It's not about the actual professional filming quality or editing of the video, but the content, which ironically is what he seems to obsess over. On a channel that already has videos like tags and reactions etc. alongside other great work, why is it that he feels every single video has to be an elevated piece of art? That's what holds him back and frustrates us I think.

Then again each to his/her own and I respect your views of course.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

@ the person who said something abt dan smoking weed i a formspring answer,i know which one you're talking about and he said
"drinking: occasionally, smoking: no"
i can't find the pic rn but i literally just seen it the other day lol

also i cba to read all the paragraphs bc im in a good mood and im not gonna even ruin that lol
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
Kimship
glabella

Amiaw wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:16 pm I have many obligations outside of my job but I'm not allowed to bring those obligations to work or let them affect my job and that has always been the case. I can't say to my boss or my customers "I'm sorry that I did a crap job but I have a sick child at home, soz" and hope it's cool because that is not how the real world works. So I empathize with them that tour planning is so crazy but since the planning itself is not really my concern or problem (especially because I paid for a ticket and all I should be concerned with is the final product) I'm not really going to accept that excuse.
The tour planning is part of their job. Just because it's not the part that you personally care for does not mean that they're not doing their job.

Also, in many(although not all) places in the world, if you have a sick child at home you can certainly stay home to take care of said child. Like, literally not do your job. And bosses will accept that reason and work around it.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Kimship wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:45 pm
Amiaw wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:16 pm I have many obligations outside of my job but I'm not allowed to bring those obligations to work or let them affect my job and that has always been the case. I can't say to my boss or my customers "I'm sorry that I did a crap job but I have a sick child at home, soz" and hope it's cool because that is not how the real world works. So I empathize with them that tour planning is so crazy but since the planning itself is not really my concern or problem (especially because I paid for a ticket and all I should be concerned with is the final product) I'm not really going to accept that excuse.
The tour planning is part of their job. Just because it's not the part that you personally care for does not mean that they're not doing their job.

Also, in many(although not all) places in the world, if you have a sick child at home you can certainly stay home to take care of said child. Like, literally not do your job. And bosses will accept that reason and work around it.
Okay so maybe the tour planning was a bad example. It's still a part of their job that we can't see and impacts the restlessness of the phandom in general. There are other excuses that are given for why dan and phil don't update or post and they've been notoriously bad at balancing things in the past so even though my example was crap it doesn't mean that they aren't also crap with doing their job. If they can respond to phandom drama in 1 day by filming,editing, and uploading a video when they've previously been too busy to upload more than once in a blue moon then that tells me that they have the ability to do more but for some reason they just don't.

as to the second point- not really. I have a child that is sick all the time. I have to make it work because if I don't then I don't earn a living.
hello9217
flower crown

Breaking from all this to say that this tweet is cute
dancy
procrastinator

Thank you, Phil <3

Dan tweeted something for #InternationalWomensDay last year, so I wonder if he'll tweet something today as well (he did like Phil's tweet though). I've noticed Dan hasn't really been posting any regular tweets lately, by which I mean tweets that don't include a picture or link to a new video. Kinda funny considering he said he wanted to start tweeting more this year.

As for Dan's videos, I don't think they're mediocre and most of the time I do enjoy them and appreciate the effort he puts in them. However, I do have to say that I couldn't see myself being very into in him if the gaming channel and live shows and whatnot weren't a thing. His main channel on its own wouldn't be enough to keep me interested with the infrequent uploads and occasionally "meh" videos.