Advance Warning of Incoming Changes [updated]

Post questions, comments, concerns, and suggestions about this forum here.
jesp
why bother

Over the past few weeks our host, ProphpBB, has been planning to forcibly transfer their hosted forums to Tapatalk. This move has some very minor benefits, but does mean losing a large part of what makes this forum unique - our custom emoticons, custom themes, and custom post ranks are among the defining features of IDB that we will lose when the move is forced on us.

The moderation team has spent a not insignificant amount of time looking at other options, and we’re currently looking at moving to another, more reliable, forum host. Unfortunately, this might mean a small amount of disruption to users while we make arrangements to transfer. At the moment we don’t have a clear timescale, either for the forced transfer to Tapatalk or our own transfer to another host, but we’ll share what we can as soon as we can.

IDB was started partly to offer fairer moderation, and partly to offer forum availability with minimal downtime, and we’re truly sorry that this is happening. We’re going to do our best to keep any disruption to a minimum, and we’ll do what we can to keep you updated as we’re made aware of new developments.

Outside of IDB, you can contact us on twitter or tumblr, email us at [email protected], or you can email me directly at [email protected] or contact me on twitter here. You can also find our contact details in this post.
fondsmiles
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

(hope I am allowed to reply, but) thanks a ton for putting so much work in effort in not only maintaining and moderating the forum in the way it is, but also in working so hard to keep it as enjoyable as it is now. I know managing a website is sometimes very complicated and does consume a lot of hours so I just wanted to tell you I am really grateful that you do provide this space, and are all so dedicated to it and lovely hosts and moderators.
[x]
[x]
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

if we are forced to move, i'll be very disappointed we dont have our custom ranks or anything anymore but it's not your fault. however like fondsmiles said i admire the hard work and dedication you all put in this forum. it's nice and hard to find a forum that has such a good and accepting community like this one.
:transheart:
karma_yeah
philussy

Thanks you for the heads up!

Y'all really are an amazing group of mods and have done a PHENOMENAL job with IDB. You've created a place where people can come together and share different points of view in a respectful way, and share laughs and friendly bants about 2 people we enjoy and care about. You've facilitated it in a way that has given a voice to people who have never had one before, and people have formed genuine friendships through IDB.

I'm sure everyone would love to be able to move to a place where we can continue to enjoy the AMAZINGLY WONDERFUL custom emojis , headers etc. But if that's not possible, I don't think it will take away the heart and soul of IDB, and that most folks will stick around (even if there's a temporary move to tapatalk before another more creativity-friendly host can be found).

Hugs to you all for all your hard work and dedication
What goes around, comes around Image
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

If moving to another host would require funds, I would definitely pitch in to keep the page running with all its unique features.
fondsmiles
phabergé

LtrllySusan wrote:If moving to another host would require funds, I would definitely pitch in to keep the page running with all its unique features.
same, actually. hope you consider that if it would make some things possible!
[x]
[x]
jesp
why bother

Skylar wrote:if we are forced to move, i'll be very disappointed we dont have our custom ranks or anything anymore
We will definitely lose the custom ranks, emoticons, themes, and a couple of other things if we're moved to tapatalk. The plan at the moment is to move to another host before the tapatalk migration happens, which would allow us to stick with phpbb and keep the parts of IDB that make it unique.
fondsmiles wrote:
LtrllySusan wrote:If moving to another host would require funds, I would definitely pitch in to keep the page running with all its unique features.
same, actually. hope you consider that if it would make some things possible!
At the moment the costs associated with IDB are just about manageable, but I really do appreciate the offer.

As for the current status of the migration to tapatalk, we're still completely in the dark and the best timescale I can give everyone at the moment for a transfer to another host, as much as it frustrates me, is "soon". As soon as something happens we'll let everyone know.
jesp
why bother

We still have no idea what's going on. We're working behind the scenes to try and sort our own migration to another host, but we've been hampered by things like our ability to create forum backups being removed for a few days. We're hoping to have things sorted soon, but I still can't provide a timeline for either our move or the forced migration. I wish I could do better, but as it is we're as in the dark as you are. The temporary downtime we experienced a few minutes ago wasn't something we were aware of, and we were surprised it happened.

Like I've said, as soon as there is an update we'll share it. Thanks for the support in the meantime, we really do appreciate it.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Thanks for all your hard work!

However things change, we'll still have this great community :platonic: . All of you mods are wonderful for making that happen.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
Ablissa
pastel persona

I used to have my own forum for my WoW guild back in the day and I remember all the trouble with finding the right host etc. We've had to switch several times. Thank you so much for going through all of this just to keep IDB going, this place keeps me sane and I come here every day

You are all wonderful, Mods, please remember that even if there is some downtime we all know it's not your fault and you're doing the best you can.

I hope it's okay to post something so irrelevant in this thread, if it isn't feel free to delete this post
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

Dear all,

Just as an advanced warning, there may be some changes made to the forum over the next few hours, we are working on something behind the scenes. We will get things up and running again as soon as possible.

If you have any changes then please feel free to contact a moderator at any time.

:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
jesp
why bother

We've managed to make a small amount of progress - over the past couple of weeks we've had some help from a couple forum members, and we really appreciate everything they've been able to do for us behind the scenes.

As of right now, we're still not able to complete the move, but we're looking to have the transfer completed over the weekend. We have been trying to minimise disruption to the forum, but often it's out of our hands. There may be short periods where the forum is unavailable over the next few days, so I do apologise for that.

We hope to be completely back to normal soon, and once again I'd like to thank everyone for sticking with us.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Do you know the name of the galaxy theme's font? I love how round it is.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

flarequake wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:13 pm Do you know the name of the galaxy theme's font? I love how round it is.
I'm not a mod but I know you can use rightclick > inspect to check out fonts! It's called "Poppins Regular"
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

LtrllySusan wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:23 pm
flarequake wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:13 pm Do you know the name of the galaxy theme's font? I love how round it is.
I'm not a mod but I know you can use rightclick > inspect to check out fonts! It's called "Poppins Regular"
Oh, thank you. The computer-pro in me forgets these things. That's a really cute font name.
fondsmiles
phabergé

just wanted to say that i really like the new feature of having notifications when someone quotes you or things along those lines! i know it's been awful for you, but i am happy that with the update we get those new features and cool designs
[x]
[x]