LGBT Film, TV Show, and Book Recs

Templeofshame
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she/her

Book recs inspired by @katka in the main thread, I did a quick search so hopefully these are recs that aren't already mentioned in this thread but I'm not sure. LGBT scifi/fantasy is my area of specialization, at least for this list:

Ancestral Night by Elizabeth Bear is about a lesbian on a space salvage mission and addresses being a lesbian in a world of futuristic romantic and sexual norms.

Seanan McGuire's Wayward Children series books probably all have at least an LGBT side character, but Down Among the Sticks & Bones and Come Tumbling Down are centrally about lesbians (and they're all about kids who go through doorways to other worlds). (warning for a bury-your-gays who doesn't stay dead but I was pissed because I didn't know)

Borderline & sequels by Mishell Baker, Adventures of a disabled bi woman protagonist working on the border of LA and a fairy world.

Unkindness of Ghosts by Rivers Solomon is about queer & trans people on an enormous, racistly-stratified spaceship.

The Fifth Season by N.K. Jeminsen (I haven't read the sequels yet) has queer and trans characters on a planet with times of devastating climate change, oppressed mages, and I am really bad at explaining books with complex worldbuilding.

Once & Future by Amy Rose Capetta and Cori McCarthy is a lighter but fun queer sci-fi King Arthur story with a queer refugee girl as Arthur. Secondary characters are mostly queer, one genderqueer.
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

I don't know if anyone reads this thread but I just remembered two big oversights in terms of LGBT sf that I love:
An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green is one people probably know because YouTuber, but the strange robot/alien mystery of it and the explorations of internet fame also come with a queer woman of color as protagonist. I still ship Maypril.

Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente is about a genderqueer pansexual glam rocker who has to represent Earth in an extremely high-stakes version of Eurovision. Also it's hilarious.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I've read a few things lately - kind of just starting with the basic ones recced a lot lately, but: Carry On and Wayward Son by Rainbow Rowell, and Red White and Royal Blue.
noodlebum
flower crown

LOVE Carry on! Wasn't so keen on the other two, but I will read the last of the Carry On trilogy when it comes out.
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

I've just finished this book called Clean Break and the two main characters remind me a lot of Dan even though they have very little in common with him, maybe it's the humour that reminds me of him especially in regards to mental health but I think it's the kind of book the world appeal to people here. It's available on kindle unlimited if you have it. The boom deals with the queer college experience, mental health and family pressure to name just a few things, it's the second in the series but can be read as a stand alone no problem.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clean-Break-Fa ... _mi_aw_edp
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

A Long Way Back by Barbara Elsborg, it's one of the best books I've read in a long time, it's laugh out loud funny, the banter between the two main characters Tay and Ink is so good and their chemistry is amazing from the start but not in a cheesy insta love way, The book is the second in the series, I haven't read the first yet but I don't think it's necessary to enjoy this book, both are available on kindle unlimited, Tay suffered a horrible accident and finds it difficult to cope but needs his independence from his family he's also trying to deal with his sexuality and the feelings he has for his best friend (his story is the first book) and the chance he lost to be with him, he meets Ink who's homeless a running from a dark past, he hires him to be his live in helper to appease his parents but it's the best thing that could have happened toeither of them, they save each other in so many different ways and no matter what's thrown at them and there's a lot you never doubt their meant to be.The book deals with some difficult issues around disability, drug addiction, homelessness, prostitution, trauma, terrorism, bullying, murder for the most part they're dealt with very well there is a twist at the end that was a bit unbelievable but I was happy for the characters so willing to suspend disbelief.
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

I'm currently drowning in a sea of unread or half started festive reads probably because I'm not feeling very festive, when another one popped in to my inbox I wasn't really interested but I downloaded it anyway because the kindle edition is currently free on Amazon and the blurb sounded better than what I'm currently putting off reading. To Touch the Light: An Irons and Works Holiday Novel by E.M. Lindsey it's the 7th in the series but I've only read 2 of the previous 6 and didn't realise I had till half way through because it focuses on a different couple and the few characters from previous books are not heavily featured and you don't need to know their stories to read this one, The story is based around Chanukah and focuses on head chef Mario and Vitya a dishwasher, it's really a beautiful story about two lonely men find love and acceptance when they were least expecting it. Mario is Transgender and has faced rejection from family and potential love interests previously and is dealing with insecurities about his body which makes it difficult to open himself up and trust anyone, Vitya is in the US illegally after having to leave Russia, he's struggling to keep his head above water, poor treatment at work and with failing eyesight he's almost afraid to hope of being happy. I really enjoyed it and finished in a couple of hours it's a really touching book that covers a lot of different topics sensitively but frankly. At the time of posting the kindle edition is free. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... =1&fpw=alm
jesp
why bother

Okay so I'm resurrecting this thread because I need help. Desperately. I'm going through A Thing and need mlm books with a happy ending. Preferably a full on happily ever after ending. Think Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, safe books like that. Hardships during the story are fine. These are the ones I've read this week that are the sort of thing I'm looking for -

In Deeper Waters (F.T. Lukens)

Loved it. Was internally screaming "kiss already" about three pages in. An awkward prince, magic, a strange boy, a cave filled with jewels and gold. Wonderful.

All That's Left in the World (Erik J. Brown)

Also wonderful. Post-apocalyptic love with a strong emphasis on needing each other. Some sorta-graphic injury, violence, homophobia, and allusions to sexism, but not gratuitous.

Red, White & Royal Blue (Casey McQuiston)

Another awkward prince, and a moody-but-not-really First Son. It was nice, easy to read, and had plenty emotion. Totally messes up the titles of the UK royal family (there's no "Prince of England") but who cares when the US president is a woman.

The Infinite Noise (Lauren Shippen)

Companion to The Bright Sessions podcast following Caleb and Adam's story outside of the podcast. Ended up disliking The Bright Sessions (don't hate me) but completely fell in love with Caleb and Adam during the podcast and so invested in their relationship that when I realised this book existed I ordered a paperback copy, then an hour later bought the kindle version as well because I needed their story in my brain as fast as possible. Absolutely worth it.

And for a couple examples of what I'm definitely not looking for -
More Happy Than Not (Adam Silvera)
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/195 ... y-than-not

Ugh. I mean, it was okay/good, but the ending was obvious really early in the book and the MC not ending up with the mysterious hot guy just isn't what I need right now.

What If It's Us (also Adam Silvera)
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/363 ... if-it-s-us

I did like this but the two main characters didn't end up together at the end. It would have been fine, but the epilogue ruined it. I'm aware there's a sequel but idk if I'm stable enough to risk it.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

jesp wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:18 am Okay so I'm resurrecting this thread because I need help. Desperately. I'm going through A Thing and need mlm books with a happy ending. Preferably a full on happily ever after ending. Think Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, safe books like that. Hardships during the story are fine. These are the ones I've read this week that are the sort of thing I'm looking for -

Loved it. Was internally screaming "kiss already" about three pages in. An awkward prince, magic, a strange boy, a cave filled with jewels and gold. Wonderful.

Also wonderful. Post-apocalyptic love with a strong emphasis on needing each other. Some sorta-graphic injury, violence, homophobia, and allusions to sexism, but not gratuitous.

Another awkward prince, and a moody-but-not-really First Son. It was nice, easy to read, and had plenty emotion. Totally messes up the titles of the UK royal family (there's no "Prince of England") but who cares when the US president is a woman.

Companion to The Bright Sessions podcast following Caleb and Adam's story outside of the podcast. Ended up disliking The Bright Sessions (don't hate me) but completely fell in love with Caleb and Adam during the podcast and so invested in their relationship that when I realised this book existed I ordered a paperback copy, then an hour later bought the kindle version as well because I needed their story in my brain as fast as possible. Absolutely worth it.

Ugh. I mean, it was okay/good, but the ending was obvious really early in the book and the MC not ending up with the mysterious hot guy just isn't what I need right now.

I did like this but the two main characters didn't end up together at the end. It would have been fine, but the epilogue ruined it. I'm aware there's a sequel but idk if I'm stable enough to risk it.
Ah, escapism for when going through A Thing, I'm very familiar.

boyfriend material by alexis hall
house on the cerulean sea by tj klune
conventionally yours by annabeth albert

if you're down with graphic novels, two fairly immersive ones are heartstopper (alice oseman) and check place (ngozi ukazu)
shan
morning quiff

jesp wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:18 am Red, White & Royal Blue (Casey McQuiston)

I don’t have much since most of what I’ve been reading recently has fallen on the heavier side, but The Charm Offensive by Alison Cochran has very similar vibes to Red, White & Royal Blue. Same level of relatively light, easy reading.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

The Kingdoms by Natasha Pulley is one of my favorite books from the past year:

https://www.amazon.com/Kingdoms-Natasha ... 1635576083

She has three earlier books with mlm love stories as well.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:44 pm
jesp wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:18 am Okay so I'm resurrecting this thread because I need help. Desperately. I'm going through A Thing and need mlm books with a happy ending. Preferably a full on happily ever after ending. Think Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, safe books like that. Hardships during the story are fine. These are the ones I've read this week that are the sort of thing I'm looking for -

Ah, escapism for when going through A Thing, I'm very familiar.

boyfriend material by alexis hall
house on the cerulean sea by tj klune
conventionally yours by annabeth albert

if you're down with graphic novels, two fairly immersive ones are heartstopper (alice oseman) and check place (ngozi ukazu)
I came here excited to rec The House on the Cerulean Sea because it’s charming as heck but dizzy beat me to it so consider it seconded.

Alexis Hall is generally a good bet, his Spires series is more straightforward mlm romance, but enjoyable and with happy endings. General warnings that Glitterland has a very depressed character (and a slightly impenetrable Essex accent on page) and For Real has explicit BDSM on page which may or may not be a selling point

If This Gets Out by Sophie Gonzales is about a boy band (that is definitely not 1D) and the trials they face when 2 of the members start dating, very lightweight, ends well. Also one of the side characters surname is Phan so…

I just finished the Darkness Outside Us by Eliot Schrefer which is actually a very solid sci-fi concept with also mlm if that is your thing!