Anime Thread

yonahime
glabella
Pronouns: she/her

majitzu wrote:
yonahime wrote:I'd like to reccomend an anime that is currently airing, only one episode as of now but it's absolutely hilarious. Sakamoto Desu Ga. If you like One Punch Man you'd probably like this too. People said it's like the Saitama of Slice of Life.
Here, if you wanna know the first 5 minute: http://fairytailwitch.tumblr.com/post/1 ... rotagonist
I just watch the episode 2 hours ago, i don't like it. Is fun but is not the type of anime I want to watch now
Yeah, ngl it doesn't look like it has a bigger plot than plain comedy. But i love comedy, i miss anime like gekkan, nichijou, and danshi koukousei which are just ridiculous :lol:

What anime did you like this season? I've watched Ace Attorney but the first episode didn't impress me that much (besides the chain of justice in the op), maybe because i didn't play the game, or maybe it'll pick up later. I want to watch Kabaneri of The Iron Fortress, it looks cool. And from the same studio of AoT. And Joker Game, maybe. But people said to approach it with caution though because the imperialist ideology is kind of strong, idk.
Winterbury
squish
Pronouns: she/her • they/them

swofro wrote:Winterbury, you really need to play the game first, I think, or else you will be spoiled by knowing who the murderer is, how they did it and what is the proof etc. Last I heard, the anime will cover the first three games, which is a lot, so I am not sure to believe it or not. Haha.
Ahh, damnit, now I really want to play the game(s) but there are so many and I have both so little money and so little time. Life isn't fair.
swofro
angel bean

I've just watched Ace Attorney second episode and I am not sure how I feel.
I don't know why, but the slow pace of the episode is killing me. But on the other hand, I love the small details in the story. The supposedly emotional part of the story is not too emotional (is this even proper English?), it makes me laugh instead. And the first meeting between Phoenix and Edgey is a bit dull for me. Maybe it is because there is little to no build up, and they are focusing the case more than their relationship but I hope they pick it up on the next episode.
Winterbury there is maybe a way to play it using computer instead of console........
Love is forever
kooshka
living flop

I gave in, I watched to first two episodes of Ace Attorney since the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak and once again I've entered this gay lawyer hell.
I'm suprised how I'm not even that bothered about the animation style, I felt weird after watching the trailer since idk the character designs seem to work better in game form, but it's well done concidering that I assumed the worst and prepared myself for disappointment. Though I don't like Edgeworths VA, but I kinda expected that since I was a bit cautious the first time they announced the seiyuus. Everyone else seems okay-ish while not perfect.
swofro wrote:
I don't know why, but the slow pace of the episode is killing me. But on the other hand, I love the small details in the story. The supposedly emotional part of the story is not too emotional (is this even proper English?), it makes me laugh instead. And the first meeting between Phoenix and Edgey is a bit dull for me. Maybe it is because there is little to no build up, and they are focusing the case more than their relationship but I hope they pick it up on the next episode.
Yeah, story wise it seems like a bit of a letdown. There was no buildup, I can imagine a first-timer watching would be a bit confused. The tension between them is what makes it so compelling, not the case itself, so I wonder why they chose this rote. But the OP seems promising with the gay chains of justice and all so maybe it'll take a turn for the better.
crushedpop
not a first-time poster

omg finally a thread for me! I watched:

pokemon
free!
shiki
naruto
vampire knight
diabolik lovers
kamigami no asobi
magi-nation and more but thats all from the top of my head 8-)
english is not my first language
majitzu
angel bean

swofro wrote:I've just watched Ace Attorney second episode and I am not sure how I feel.
Winterbury there is maybe a way to play it using computer instead of console........
You are the first person i see that said the anime has a slow pace. Everyone is like, "this is going so fast", "they cut this part" lol. I like it, I'm liking it a lot. I didn't care about edgeworth until case 3 so I'm ok with it, also the car vs bike scene

Also, is this how Phoenix sees Edgeworth?
swofro
angel bean

majitzu wrote:
swofro wrote:I've just watched Ace Attorney second episode and I am not sure how I feel.
You are the first person i see that said the anime has a slow pace. Everyone is like, "this is going so fast", "they cut this part" lol. I like it, I'm liking it a lot. I didn't care about edgeworth until case 3 so I'm ok with it, also the car vs bike scene

Also, is this how Phoenix sees Edgeworth?
Hahaha. Is it? Maybe I am just an anomaly in the whole concensus.

I love love love the bike vs car scene. Edgey looks so cool with his sports car while Phoenix looks very officeboy-ish with the bike. The whole scene emphasise that Edgey is the powerful one while Phoenix is the guy that no one will look at twice.
why didn't we allowed to see the bellboy face tho? Is it because it's going to be a 'surprise!' on the next episode?
Damn, Edgey looks pretty when the sun shines on him. Phoenix and me is falling so hard.
Love is forever
crash[]
butt chair

I expected nothing good when I first heard about this, and yet here I am.
I'm not happy. There's nothing. Just.

I don't know how any people here have watched Ghost in the Shell, but I'm sure we can all relate to miscasting and white washing.
kooshka wrote:I used to be a bigger dweeb but idk if it's just me growing up, I just feel like there are less and less good stuff coming nowadays. I mean there are still amazing series every now and then but it just feels like most of it is just not meant for me.
I get you. Personally, one of the things that turns me away from a lot of anime series is how recycled some of the settings and plots are. "Single awkward guy that somehow befriends a bunch of girls and they all fall in love with him because he's nice" will always be the bane of my existence.
Winterbury
squish
Pronouns: she/her • they/them

I haven't watched Ghost in the Shell but from what I've read, the outrage is justified. It seems to focus on modern Japanese culture a lot and it really is crap that they'd cast a white actress to play a clearly Japanese character. Same goes for the rest of the cast.

My view of the Death Note movie is a bit different because 1) there already is a pretty decent Japanese movie adaptation and 2) from what central European me knows, Japanese culture doesn't play that big of a role (=> you could change the setting and still have a movie that somewhat resembles the anime).
Which is why it's goddamned stupid that they're pretending the whole thing still takes place in Japan and the white as a sheet actors are Japanese people?? Give the characters western names and set the whole thing in some american suburb if you have to - but this is just weird.
Also, the casting. What. Nat Wolff as Light? Margaret Qualley as Misa? Did the casting director close their eyes and throw darts?
DryCereal
koi pond

Your Lie In April is RUINING ME RIGHT NOW!!
Someone tell me why it's Tsubaki that just made me dissolve into tears, rather than Kaori? Also pass the tissues, so people don't call psych down(!)
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
000dia000
emo goose

I am partial to gritty and horror anime so I decided to keep it neat and tidy and put them beneath this lovely spoiler tag~ :)
Tokyo Ghoul
Death Note
Soul Eater
Deadman Wonderland
Psycho Pass
Kill la Kill
(this has great plot but it has a lot of revealing clothing and half nudity so you could say it has great plot ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) . I'm sorry. Nevertheless, I am trash for this )
Samurai Champloo
These are mysteries/supernaturals (the Haruhi Suzuimya case it took sitting through many fluffy tv episodes until you could watch the film which was mind blowing to say the least)
Stein's Gate
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzuimiya
Un-Go

I noticed that No. 6 was mentioned and I just needed to praise it, while some gay anime is often fetishised this felt real and subtle. If anyone is a big fan of the anime, there is a full English translation of the original Japanese novels which will probably destroy your soul...so I might as well give a link: http://9th-ave.blogspot.ie/p/no-6.html
:cactus:
DryCereal
koi pond

Just finished Your Lie in April.
:sobs:

Between this and Eternal Sonata, I may never be able to listen to Chopin again without sobbing...!!
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
eevee
emo goose

I've been meaning to watch Your Lie in April! I've heard it's good.

Has anyone here seen Akuma No Riddle? It's a short little series about assasins. It's honestly amazing.
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
ostiral
sofa crease

I started watching anime recently, in January, because... Dan and Phil (i hate them sometimes) and because Attack on Titan had an amazing opening. :D
Attack on Titan is so awesome, it was my first anime i was aware of (i saw Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon earlier, like everyone else, probably) and i loved it!

Then i loved Parasyte - The Maxim. Psycho-Pass also stole my heart (Ginoza OMG yes).

But i wanted to recommend you Zankyou no Terror. This anime have only 11 episodes, but it is absolutely amazing.

I really don't know what everyone sees in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood tho, i have watched 10 episodes and i stopped. I just can't go through this. :/

And i like the fact, that one episode of anime is 20 minutes long - perfectly for a small break. But now i am waiting for a holiday, because i don't have a free time and i have such a long list with anime to watch (after reading this thread, my list will be even longer, i regret nothing, thank You. ).
Sorry for my english.
PolarFox
truth bomb

So every now and then I fall down the animu abyss and watch some anime and then forget it for months.
My very first anime holds a special place in my heart and I do recommend it. It's Mirai Nikki, the one with the pink haired girl that is literally The Yandere and also this whiny dude called Yuki.
The anime that has grown on me so much I had to start reading the manga and then weep for eternity over cliffhangers and one chapter per month was nothing else than the so well known Shingeki no Kyojin. No but really, the manga rips my heart in half. also pls tell me i'm not the only one who loves Armin the most
The "prize" for anime that fucked me up the most surely and totally goes to Your Lie in April and it is totally one of my most fave animes of all time. I looooove me some angst like that.
Not even Angel Beats! got me like that^ did.
Well, I do also have to mention Another the anime that gave me fear of umbrellas. Cool if you want to find interesting ways of dying on accident and if you like creepy dolls.
I just finished 2nd season of Owari no Seraph and I'm kinda thinking of reading the manga, as it is cool. But it's basicaly SnK with vampires.
Other notable mention that I recommend (except of Death Note and Blue Exorcist and all that fun) is Elfen Lied, that end fucked me up tbh.
Also I'm trash, so if anyone wants to talk about some of these animu, I'm all up for that.
Awww! You clicked on my signature!
ostiral
sofa crease

Post from main thread about D&P, offtop:
Winston wrote:
Stakhanov wrote: To anyone who started watching Free ... ik know you're out there , this is hillarious. And a perfect gateway drug to get into the real series if you think you can't possibly have time for all the sappy anime bs

Makes me want to parody every vid. in the same way

This was hilarious. I would watch Free if that was what it was actually like. I tried it, but it was slow to me...
This is amazing, omg. I am dying laughing right now. "Shut up, Haru", "His arms... His muscles... I have to tumblr this". :D I am waiting for summer holiday, to start watching Free!, so i should stop watching this parody right now, because spoilers, but this amazing great job!
Sorry for my english.
coffee pig
woodland creature
Pronouns: ''ugh, her again''

Does anyone on here also happen to contribute to an anime forum, or know of one? A friend of mine is looking for a place to fangirl about anime online because she has no one to do it with in real life. :D
{ bisexual Philophile and respectful stalker since 2008 }
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

bedhead91 wrote:Does anyone on here also happen to contribute to an anime forum, or know of one? A friend of mine is looking for a place to fangirl about anime online because she has no one to do it with in real life. :D
I only ever contributed to Dutch ones myself, but I know big anime sites like Crunchyroll, MyAnimeList, Anime News Network and KissAnime have forums. Dunno how the fangirling levels are on there tho.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
coffee pig
woodland creature
Pronouns: ''ugh, her again''

Catallena wrote:
bedhead91 wrote:Does anyone on here also happen to contribute to an anime forum, or know of one? A friend of mine is looking for a place to fangirl about anime online because she has no one to do it with in real life. :D
I only ever contributed to Dutch ones myself, but I know big anime sites like Crunchyroll, MyAnimeList, Anime News Network and KissAnime have forums. Dunno how the fangirling levels are on there tho.
She is Dutch, coincidentally, but kind of hates her own language so I'm not sure she'd want to post on a Dutch forum. Thanks for the help though. :)
{ bisexual Philophile and respectful stalker since 2008 }
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

bedhead91 wrote:
Catallena wrote:
She is Dutch, coincidentally, but kind of hates her own language so I'm not sure she'd want to post on a Dutch forum. Thanks for the help though. :)
Dutch forums are kinda dead anyway. I think Anime Wolken and Aniyway are the biggest, but both are a lot less active than they used to be in the 00's and many others have closed. The Japanese media hype seems to have died down in this country compared to a few years ago, maybe due to the lack of mainstream exposure. Publishers stopped their Dutch manga translations, several attempts to get anime on TV failed etc.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
eevee
emo goose

Hey guys!

I'm trying to catch up/start on popular animes. I want to go to an anime convention next year and I want to be up to date on the popular and trendy animes so I can experience the con to the fullest. Anyone have suggestions?

Popular (I think) animes I've already watched:
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
- Free!
- Death Note
- Elfen Lied
- Cardcaptor Sakura
- Tokyo Mew Mew
- Pokemon

Popular animes I'm already planning on watching:
- Black Butler
- Sailor Moon

question about Sailor Moon: Should I watch Crystal or original? Thinking about time constraints, I couldn't find on google how long Sailor Moon is but i'm under the impression it's super long. I started Crystal already though and I really like it! But will I miss key details??

Any other suggestions on popular anime I should get into? (By the way, I know FMA is super popular, but I don't have much interest in watching it)
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
ostiral
sofa crease

eevee wrote: Any other suggestions on popular anime I should get into? (By the way, I know FMA is super popular, but I don't have much interest in watching it)
Attack on Titan!!! Seriously, this anime is so good! Of course if You like (ok, maybe tolerate) watching masacre and blood, and death. But, yeah, great story and action, and this three dimensional maneuver, omg, the best thing ever. Main character can be anyoing, but then just look at Mikasa, and everything will be good (...well) again. ^_^
And i loved Kiseijuu Sei No Kakuritsu. This anime has my and Phil's stamp of approval. :D
I started FMA, but i didn't like it... Maybe i will back to this someday.

Recently, i watched everything related to Free! - first season, second, FrFr!, OVA, YT cracks, even seiyuu event, today i watched the movie - High Speed, i was listening some drama CD with english subs too, and, omg, i love this show. I finished two seasons, i was like "i need more stories about those guys for like yesterday". I love characters there.
and where i can find my own makoto, thanks

And i watched Death Parade, amazing first episode, but then i was a little bit disapointed.

And also, i started watching anime recently too, i have such a long list anime to watch. :D But yeah, Attack on Titan!
Sorry for my english.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

eevee wrote:Hey guys!

I'm trying to catch up/start on popular animes. I want to go to an anime convention next year and I want to be up to date on the popular and trendy animes so I can experience the con to the fullest. Anyone have suggestions?

Popular (I think) animes I've already watched:
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
- Free!
- Death Note
- Elfen Lied
- Cardcaptor Sakura
- Tokyo Mew Mew
- Pokemon

Popular animes I'm already planning on watching:
- Black Butler
- Sailor Moon

question about Sailor Moon: Should I watch Crystal or original? Thinking about time constraints, I couldn't find on google how long Sailor Moon is but i'm under the impression it's super long. I started Crystal already though and I really like it! But will I miss key details??

Any other suggestions on popular anime I should get into? (By the way, I know FMA is super popular, but I don't have much interest in watching it)
Oh boy. Sailor Moon Crystal. Honestly it comes down to personal preference what you're looking for in the show.

So first of all, the 90's Sailor Moon anime is 200 episodes spanning over 5 seasons while Crystal is still running and at 39 episodes after it's third season/arc. There hasn't been an official season 4 announcement yet but season 3 only just ended so we'll just have to wait as I'm sure it's coming.

I'm personally not fond of Crystal, the first two seasons have terrible animation with ridiculous CGI transformations for today's standards. They stepped up their game with season 3 though. Story telling and pacing is... not that great. That's partly the manga's fault since SMC follows it's source materal more closely than the 90's version did (it still diverts from it in both minor and major ways though.. some was controversial) and sadly that includes following it's many flaws. The manga is good, but it's often very rushed and it lasted for longer than the author originally intended which really shows. Crystal made no attempt to fix anything and it didn't work out that well. But if you just wanna get through the story quickly without too filler and you aren't too bothered by the animation, then it's a good choice. The soundtrack is excellent too.

Now I say the manga and SMC are rushed, but the original anime is on the complete other end of the spectrum because it takes up too much damn time. It has loooots of filler episodes. Most people hate that and it sure as hell is shit to sit through, but the fillers did one thing right for the original anime; character development. Because you're not rushing through the story, you get to focus more on the many great characters. Their personalities get more fleshed out and their relationships with each other get explored. Not to mention there's more room for comedy (the first two season of Crystal barely contain any, the manga fares better). It made the bond between the girls just feel more real to me and that really adds another layer to the story to me. Animation wise... I personally like the 90's charm but a lot of new anime fans don't like it. But it's not below the standard of it's time like Crystal is imo. I recommend watching one or two a day to get through it, binge watching will make you go insanse. It's a series just take it slow with.

Looking at your list, I think you might like Ouran High School Host Club, Nana (I wrote about it earlier in the thread), Paradise Kiss, Fruits Basket (Deppy are watching that too) and Vampire Knight. And you might like Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Not a fave for me personally, but loooots of people love it.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
eevee
emo goose

Catallena wrote:
Oh boy. Sailor Moon Crystal. Honestly it comes down to personal preference what you're looking for in the show.

So first of all, the 90's Sailor Moon anime is 200 episodes spanning over 5 seasons while Crystal is still running and at 39 episodes after it's third season/arc. There hasn't been an official season 4 announcement yet but season 3 only just ended so we'll just have to wait as I'm sure it's coming.

I'm personally not fond of Crystal, the first two seasons have terrible animation with ridiculous CGI transformations for today's standards. They stepped up their game with season 3 though. Story telling and pacing is... not that great. That's partly the manga's fault since SMC follows it's source materal more closely than the 90's version did (it still diverts from it in both minor and major ways though.. some was controversial) and sadly that includes following it's many flaws. The manga is good, but it's often very rushed and it lasted for longer than the author originally intended which really shows. Crystal made no attempt to fix anything and it didn't work out that well. But if you just wanna get through the story quickly without too filler and you aren't too bothered by the animation, then it's a good choice. The soundtrack is excellent too.

Now I say the manga and SMC are rushed, but the original anime is on the complete other end of the spectrum because it takes up too much damn time. It has loooots of filler episodes. Most people hate that and it sure as hell is shit to sit through, but the fillers did one thing right for the original anime; character development. Because you're not rushing through the story, you get to focus more on the many great characters. Their personalities get more fleshed out and their relationships with each other get explored. Not to mention there's more room for comedy (the first two season of Crystal barely contain any, the manga fares better). It made the bond between the girls just feel more real to me and that really adds another layer to the story to me. Animation wise... I personally like the 90's charm but a lot of new anime fans don't like it. But it's not below the standard of it's time like Crystal is imo. I recommend watching one or two a day to get through it, binge watching will make you go insanse. It's a series just take it slow with.
Looking at your list, I think you might like Ouran High School Host Club, Nana (I wrote about it earlier in the thread), Paradise Kiss, Fruits Basket (Deppy are watching that too) and Vampire Knight. And you might like Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Not a fave for me personally, but loooots of people love it.
Thanks for all the info about Sailor Moon Crystal! Based on this and what a friend of mine told me about it, I think I'm going to go with Crystal since I don't have time to watch lots of filler episodes. I'm probably going to take your advice and watch one or two a day and take it slow. The animation is weird, I agree, but I can tolerate it. Haha. I just want to get through the story and be in the Sailor Moon loop since I missed out on it earlier on in life. I actually pretended to know all about it for like three years until I gave up and admitted I hadn't actually seen it. haha.

I've already seen Host Club and Vampire Knight! Love em. I'm gonna rewatch Vampire Knight. I read all the manga and I'm obsessed. I'll check out the rest, I've also been meaning to watch Fruits Basket since I was in middle school so I'll have to put that on my list. Thanks so much for the suggestions, since you were so on point with Host Club and Vampire Knight I bet the rest of your suggestions will be great!!
mio
#relatable

Haha, the right kind of thread for me :)

I really liked the anime rec vids Dnp have done, although I suspect that some of the newer shows are probably not as good as they make them out to be (SOA, Magi? I dunno)
But the classics Dan picked are all great.

I was also quite pleased to hear they watched and loved Chihayafuru, it's such a lovely, beautiful anime!
Also the classic that kind of paved the way for it is Hikaru no Go, which is my all time favorite and I wish more people would get into it again! I swear it's the most intense and sweet and relatable coming of age story while also being a sports anime about a board game playing ghost. (yes :D ) And it has the most life destroying ships to ever come out of an anime imo

If you're looking for anything cute and beautiful to brighten up your mood I can wholeheartedly rec Barakamon. Each time I watched an ep of this I ended up smiling dumbly for hours afterwards
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~