Superhero Thread (Screen adaptations & comics)

internetakeover
lady door
Pronouns: they/them

I've seen Civil War too! Mild spoilers behind the cut and some discussion of who and what I particularly liked and disliked generally, which I find just as spoiler-y!
I pretty much much totally agree with fancy_nancy and daichii, as much as I did love some parts/people - didn't expect to be calling Spiderman a highlight! - I honestly came out feeling disappointed, which I think is 70% on my ridiculously high expectations from online hype and the amount I adored Winter Soldier, but 30% on the movie itself. I loved T'challa too, but was kind of annoyed that the specific dispute was so unclear? I've been #TeamCap all the way going in, but was really looking forward to some clarity in where Cap and Tony disagreed so I could formally say 'yes, this is exactly where I stand', and really didn't feel like I got it. We never actually knew what was in the Accords, and depending on what that was my view on them could totally change. And don't even get me started on the kiss. I got so hopeful with the Vision/Wanda hints that that would be the mentioned kiss and our full quote of het romance for the film, but no, they had to mess with Sharon too. It really didn't add anything at all!

It also had a little of (one of) my (many) issue(s) with AOU again, which was too much Tony for a film nominally not about him. I do understand that in this case it's the very nature of the Civil War plotline, and honestly thinking about it I can't think of too much I'd cut or shorten to change that and know that I might very well be being unreasonable, but that was something I felt coming out of the film nonetheless. I was told it was a film with Steve and Bucky as coleads and Tony secondary, which was what I wanted, but not what I felt like I got. Again that may be my personal slightly unreasonable issue though, I'm very happy to concede that. I really missed Pepper, too, would have been much happier with that much of him if we had Pepper too!

I wanted so much more exploration of Bucky, but that could be another whole paragraph and I think I've rambled enough, so will leave it there!
joliefolie
tol bean
Pronouns: she/robot

Damn, I remember watching Winter Soldier after seeing all the hype on Tumblr and being disappointed in the 45 secs of screen time that Bucky got.
It looks like I need to lower my expectations for Civil War as well :|
internetakeover
lady door
Pronouns: they/them

joliefolie wrote:Damn, I remember watching Winter Soldier after seeing all the hype on Tumblr and being disappointed in the 45 secs of screen time that Bucky got.
It looks like I need to lower my expectations for Civil War as well :|
There's definitely more screentime for Bucky, by a long way, he is a main character, joint with Steve and Tony imo, but... if you're coming at it from millions of words of fic exploring Bucky's recovery like I was, lowering your expectations might not be a bad idea. And hey, you'll hopefully enjoy it more that way!
Also sidenote: my sister has now seen Civil War and apparently the kiss was her favourite scene in the entire film. I genuinely thought she was being sarcastic at first, but no, that was her highlight. I... am actually still too baffled to say anything that doesn't come off as completely passive aggressive and judgmental. but seriously, like, is it a straight people thing?? is there just some fundamental difference in our viewings that i will never understand?
loststars
living flop
Pronouns: she/her

internetakeover wrote:
if you're coming at it from millions of words of fic exploring Bucky's recovery like I was, lowering your expectations might not be a bad idea.
ugh, exactly! He miraculously remembered quite a lot off-screen but at least that saved time? However, how they used that time.. not so sure if I liked the movie 100%. You're so right about them not providing more clarity on what the heck was in the Accords. My friends said they missed a climax, the 'war' part, and idk.. I loved that you could see how torn each character was, it was all nuanced, but yeah, what was their motivation precisely?

I sooooo wished for more Steve/Bucky interaction but I lived for the moment when he picked him up and they left together :')

and lol that kiss o kay
(c)itscomicdans
joliefolie
tol bean

Interestingly I thought there were a few scenes that came straight out of fic...
The first third of the movie especially, when he finds Bucky's hiding place in Bucharest, opens his notebook and sees a photo of himself. The whole "I heard him say 'Bucky' and it's like I'm 16 years old in Brooklyn again." And the fact that the villain's psychological revenge plot mainly played on his feelings for Bucky was pretty great. Their scenes together were very restrained, but it was all very elegantly done.

I did think the Spider-man recruitment scene was too long, dragged down the pacing and skewed the lead a bit too much towards RDJ.
The Sharon stuff was pretty forced, mostly due to lack of chemistry on Chris Evans' part, but it reminds me a bit of the hetero plot line in X-Men: First Class... No one remembered it the next day. :lol:
akui
blobfish
Pronouns: She/Her

Yeppidy yep, because the love and chemistry between Charles and Erik is just epically mesmerizing.
joliefolie
tol bean

akui wrote:Yeppidy yep, because the love and chemistry between Charles and Erik is just epically mesmerizing.
Sadly it doesn't look like it can save the Apocalypse film, which has a 50% rating on Metacritic... :(
akui
blobfish
Pronouns: She/Her

joliefolie wrote:
akui wrote:Yeppidy yep, because the love and chemistry between Charles and Erik is just epically mesmerizing.
Sadly it doesn't look like it can save the Apocalypse film, which has a 50% rating on Metacritic... :(
No doubt Brian singer and fox is ruining the franchise right now because they are Marvel wanna be, I'm not at all surprised by the critics.
karlitatvphan
sofa crease
Pronouns: furry

For some reason I wasn't able to watch BvS, Civil War and Apocalypse until last week so trying to avoid spoilers this whole time has been annoying but since there's a lot going on in this thread I will give my opinion on things (too lazy to quote everyone but still).

1.- BvS: I think yeah, they tried to shove 2 movies into one (I must say I watched the Ultimate Edition only because if I didn't like the movie the first time I didn't want to watch it again) and it was a bit boring.
Getting into spoilers I must say that best best part (it was hardly a good part in this movie) it was the 2 Flash cameos, I think if it wasn't for him, I'd say that this is the most boring film ever, but yeah, I love Ezra Miller he's gona kill it as the Flash I can't wait 2 more years for his movie to come out :x .
And also a thing I hated was that they give Lois Lane a lot of attention like "she's the key" like The Flash said and she just annoys me, I love Amy Adams but she wasn't a good cast for the role, if you see Supergirl, the girl that plays Lois' sister, would have been perfect, she looks like Lois Lane.
2.- MCU (Civil War): Well I've seen that lot of you have been talking about Jeremy Renner and stuff, honestly I think he was amazing in the first Avengers movie, but they wasted him in the second one, we didn't need all the Hawkeye stuff in the movie and I think it was just to make it 2 and a half hours long. After Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 that had to be my least favorite MCU movie so far (even the Hulk solo movie is alright). About Civil War, always Team Cap, I've been reading comics lately and when Tony Stark gets in touch with his emotions always f***s things up. But yeah the movie was great it is probably my favorite one along with the first Avengers movie, awesome, and I loved Tom Holland as Spider-Man and Paul Rudd as Ant-Man (they had the best scenes in the movie by far). About Spider Man (I know it's not MCU), another Andrew Garfield fangirl over here, when I found out he was gonna be in the Spider Man's films I was so excited I saw him in Doctor Who first and I was so proud, best Spider Man for me, I will never forgive the Marvel for not putting him in the MCU and not giving him the 3rd film, but yeah Tom Holland is great so maybe time will say, but Andrew will be forever for me be the best Spider-Man.

3.- X-Men Universe (Apocalypse movie): I don't even know why people hate/dislike this movie that much, I thought it was great, not as great as maybe Days of Future Past or Deadpool, but it is definitely one of the best films about the X-Men. Yeah they had a lot going on, but that was why I loved it so much, I thought it's a fresh start for characters I didn't like before (like Jean Gray, Cyclops and Storm), but yeah, great film I enjoyed it very much (also Evan Peters will steal the show in every film he will appear, Quick Silver is awesome). About the other films, I didn't like them so much maybe, one of the first ones. The ones I absolutely hate are the Wolverine movies (honestly the only part I like of those films is when Troye Sivan appeared), sorry but I do not have many expectations with the Old Logan movie coming up, and I hope poor Hugh Jackman can rest after making him do badly such an awesome character. For the mean time I'm just waiting for Deadpool 2 (Deadpool was srsly the best superhero movie ever, and will be forever and always the most successfull movie of the franchise).

I also watch the Arrowverse: Arrow, Flash, Vixen, Legends of Tomorrow, Constantine (sad it got cancelled it was amazing Matt Ryan is the living incarnation of John Constantine) and Supergirl.

And I started reading comics now, the main stories I'm following are DC Rebirth and Civil War II, yeah that's it, sorry if it was too long, sorry for my grammar and thanks if you read the whole thing.
trashqueen
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: she/her

i didn't know if i should post this here or in the book thread but since it's a comic book and there are super powers (although not super heroes) i went for this thread:

hello i am here to peer pressure you into reading my favorite comic (i've just finished reading the newest issue and i feel the need to get more people into it)

do you like gods? music? pop culture references? social commentary? a shit ton of lgbt/poc characters? really amazing art and coloring? a plot worthy of multiple re-reads? being able to say 'oh, i was into that before it was cool'?

then you my friend need to read the wicked + the divine (usually called wicdiv bc ain't nobody got time for that) by kieron gillen, jamie mckelvie and matt wilson.

i'm shit at explaining plots without spoiling it, but the official premise for the first trade paperback is "Every 90 years 12 gods return as young people. They are loved. They are hated. In two years, they are all dead." and yep, that's basically it, it's about how there's this group of celebrities who are actually all mighty gods from multiple religions that reincarnate every ninety years and die in two, and they have a very intense fandom, the protagonist, laura, is their 'biggest fan' according to herself.

it currently has 21 issues and counting, and the tv rights have been optioned by universal tv and it's being produced by matt fraction and kelly sue deconnick (aka writers of hawkeye, sex criminals -fraction-, captain marvel and bitch planet -deconnick- and overall awesome humans), so yeah get on it before it becomes the next game of thrones (hopefully)

here's some of the art because honestly even if the plot was shit (which it isn't, at all) i would read it just because of how pretty it is:
issue covers

a random page from the first issue

promotional poster thingy

florence welch..... wait what, i mean goddess amaterasu

another (more unique) random page
oh and btw, fun fact, the idols/gods physical appearance (and some personality traits) are based on real celebrities, the really obvious ones are florence welch (see above), gerard way, kanye west ( yes, really, dan wyd not reading this), prince, david bowie, daft punk and rihanna

and here's a cool article about the representation side of wicdiv

so, how did i do, did i sell it right
Dan Howell wrote:'[someone] just sent me a message saying 'Phil'..... same'
teamug
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I was very disappointed in both civil war and apocalypse. Both movies treated the viewer like an idiot.
Civil War- what exactly were Team Cap and Team IronMan fighting for? They just gave us some generic waffly reason that supposedly caused discord...The great divide, or Cap and Bucky, give me one or the other per movie; both and the plot rushes, nothing is explained and my one reason (seb) to see the freaking movie is not given enough screen time.
Apocalypse- was anyone else disppointed in the sfx? So much talking. Are they (the xmen) incapable of planning anything? And more talking, I can't even remember what happened in the movie and I only just saw it. Bad alien got defeated. There. Oh, Spoiler alert.
karlitatvphan
sofa crease
Pronouns: furry

Well I'm gonna talk about how excited I'm for the Arrowverse, the CW is broadcasting Supergirl on Mondays, The Flash on Tuesdays, Arrow on Wednesdays and Legends of Tomorrow on Thursdays as part of the same universe and they will do a four-night crossover and Superman will appear in it and also they are re broadcasting Constantine Season 1 on Fridays, I hope they do a second season. And Matt Ryan did a voice in a DC animated movie as Constantine and everything's too much the trailers look great and I can't wait to see Mr. Terrific in action on Arrow.
dontpanic
#relatable

Can’t write much atm (ugh, gtg to work) but I need to scream somewhere about Robin III/Tim Dake…. Spoilers for most recent batman comic release as well as Titans TV show speculation
Tim Dake is Bi!!!!! In the cannon comics universe !!!! Right before making his live action debut so now there’s a chance he’ll not only be the first PoC as far as live action Robins go, but there’s a chance (small as it may be) they might make him bi in Titans as well?!?!?!!!
Edit: my lifelong favorite Robin has become even more amazing somehow, my serotonin levels are dangerously high