Musical Theater Thread

Kurapika
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

How much do you love Hamilton and Phantom of The Opera?

Have you seen a musical live?

Do you hate some new actor portraying your favorite character?

Talk about all this and more in this thread!
the candlelight by the crescent moon
bluebox-away
woodland creature
Pronouns: she/her

Aaaah musical theatre thread awesome
I've seen a lot of plays/musicals in person and love movie musicals too, I recently saw Kinky Boots in Toronto which was pretty great and am hopefully seeing Phantom this summer In London :D
Listened to a bit of the Hamilton soundtrack but it's supposed to be coming to the West End so I'm hoping to see it then!
Oh and not technically musical but I love regular theatre too, I coerced my mum into spending way too much on tickets to see Benedict Cumberbatch in Hamlet :oops: totally worth it though it was fab
06/04/2016 - I found The Weakest Link :ninja:
Gif credit: IckleMissMayhem
Kurapika

Aaah bluebox-away, lucky! The only time I've ever seen a musical live was when I went to NYC for the first time last year. I saw Hedwig! Darren Criss was playing her at the time, and it was beautiful!
Hopefully I'll be able to go back there, or go to London sometime, and see more things
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

The only shows I've been to were in London and they were Les Miserable & Miss Saigon.
bluebox-away
woodland creature

sweetmm wrote:The only shows I've been to were in London and they were Les Miserable & Miss Saigon.
Those are both pretty great shows! I saw Les Mis when I was little and barely remember so I really want to go again sometime soon!
DryCereal
koi pond

Musicals I've seen:
Oliver
Rent
Phantom
Love Never Dies
Avenue Q
Wicked
Miss Saigon
Jekyll & Hyde
Starlight Express
Oklahoma
Kinky Boots
The Lion King
Mamma Mia
Evita
Guys & Dolls
Sunset Boulevard
Whistle Down The Wind
Grease
There's more... but I'm having a brain block rn...

Shows I'm... ummm... fairly well-acquainted with(!) Cats, Les Miserables, Annie, Andrew Lloyd Webber's 50th at the RAH (ok, technically not a musical, but hey!)

Dream roles (not that any of them are ever going to happen) - Lenora (Cry Baby), Rose (Dogfight), Glinda (Wicked), Adult Cosette (Les Mis) Christine (Phantom), Ariel (TLM) Lucy (J&H) Dinah (Starlight).

Things I want to see, or am gutted to have missed out on: Cry Baby, Dogfight, Willemijn Verkaik in Wicked, Book of Mormon (live - looooooove the soundtrack!) Hamilton, to see what the fuss is about, Sierra Boggess in Little Mermaid or as Christine in Phantom, 10th Anniversary concert for Les Mis.

My faves/obsessions? In no particular order! Wicked, Cats, Les Mis, Evita, Dogfight, Book of Mormon, Rent, Starlight Express, Phantom, Avenue Q.
Last edited by DryCereal on Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
bluebox-away
woodland creature

Unless I go through my old tickets/programs I have no chance of remembering everything I've seen, but definitely: Chicago, The Wizard of Oz, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Les Miserables, The Lion King, Matilda, Miss Saigon, Kinky Boots, Sound of Music, War of the Worlds (on Tour)..
My parents went to see Book of Mormon without me :( and I missed out on Cats when they did the revival which I'm gutted about, I wish seeing shows wasn't so damn expensive or I'd go all the time!
Oh and I'm seeing Harry Potter and the Cursed Child in the autumn I'm so excited although our seats are terrible - buying those tickets was a fiasco I spent 5 hours on the website and aged several years..
sweetmm
angel bean

bluebox-away wrote:
sweetmm wrote:The only shows I've been to were in London and they were Les Miserable & Miss Saigon.
Those are both pretty great shows! I saw Les Mis when I was little and barely remember so I really want to go again sometime soon!
Remember to bring a hanky or tissues :wahh:
DryCereal
koi pond

sweetmm wrote:
bluebox-away wrote:
Remember to bring a hanky or tissues :wahh:
That's good advice for any musical, tbh. You never know(!) :oops:
bluebox-away
woodland creature

Good advice for most films and tv shows too imo haha, but I cry pretty easily :sobs:
Kurapika

First time I saw Les Mis (and by saw I mean I watched a bootleg), I started crying 5 seconds in, and only stopped 10 minutes after in ended. 3 hours crying.
DryCereal
koi pond

Wicked got me
with "for good" and from there onwards, with very watery chuckles through Glinda's... IDK, "I've had it with your shit, Foxtrot Oscar Wizard/Morrible!!" moment?! :yippee:
when I saw it in London late last year. Second time i'd seen the show. Whaaaa?!

Emma Hatton by the way - is an awesome Elphaba, if you get chance to see her, do it.
akui
blobfish

I remember seeing beauty and the beast when i was a smol kid. And since i moved to Sydney i saw wicked, Adams family and les mis. But there arent many good shows in Sydney. I wish i can go to new york or London just to see shows, that would be so fun.
sweetmm
angel bean

Kurapika wrote:First time I saw Les Mis (and by saw I mean I watched a bootleg), I started crying 5 seconds in, and only stopped 10 minutes after in ended. 3 hours crying.
I was not crying I was bawling :sobs:
DryCereal
koi pond

sweetmm wrote:
Kurapika wrote:First time I saw Les Mis (and by saw I mean I watched a bootleg), I started crying 5 seconds in, and only stopped 10 minutes after in ended. 3 hours crying.
I was not crying I was bawling :sobs:
Friend of mine spent 9 months as percussionist in the pit for Les Mis on the West End... she was crying by the end of that(!) :twisted: #GottaLoveTheOrchestra

Anyone at a show where things didn't exactly go to plan? I love me blooper stories!
DryCereal
koi pond

Just found this showing a casts-eye-view of the stage during a warm-up for the current Bochum (Germany) production of Starlight Express. How cool?!!?

internetakeover
lady door
Pronouns: they/them

Oh man, I adore Les Mis, so good to see so many people talking about it! I actually cried three times at my old high school's production of it a few weeks ago, I was afraid it wouldn't do the show justice but it was brilliant! Not perfect, of course - there was an amazing moment when old!Valjean's fake beard started peeling off! - but beyond outstanding for a school production, that music department is a gift. What did everyone think of the film adaptation?

I've seen Les Mis, Wicked, The Lion King, Hairspray, Sound of Music, Mamma Mia, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat, and The Blues Brothers (didn't realise it was so many!), and am going to see Chitty (with Carrie Hope Fletcher) this summer too. I'm familiar with Guys and Dolls, Anything Goes and West Side Story from school productions, as well, but have never actually seen them outside of that.

I'm so excited for Hamilton to come to the UK bluebox-away! I caved and listened to it when I thought it wouldn't come to the UK for a couple of years, and was genuinely trying to work out how I could possibly afford to go to the US tour before I knew it was coming here, it's just that good.
stella
living flop

YES I'VE FOUND MY MUSICAL THEATRE FAM!
I've seen a ton of stuff at local groups, on Broadway I've seen The Addams Family (original cast), Mary Poppins, Phantom, and something I'm forgetting. On West End I saw Singin' in the Rain.
I've been in.. 11 shows, I think?

And Hamilton is life
~previously known as stella2000~
I hardly ever comment, but rest assured I read every single post. I am a professional lurker.
kay
phabergé

How was Miss Saigon? A friend and I were just talking about it that we both wanted to see it but it's not coming here any time soon I don't think. I really really want to see it.

I've seen Lion King, Aida, Wicked, Phantom of the Opera, and Book of Mormon. Just watched BOM for the 2nd time this weekend with some friends who hadn't ever seen it and enjoyed hearing/seeing their shock at the jokes "CRUSH IT!!" had them dying.
fleur-de-lis
butt chair

I absolutely love musical theatre!

I've seen a few in Germany (German versions obviously, i think some of them even only exist in German): Wicked, Elizabeth, The Lion King (twice), Tarzan (four times), Rocky, Tanz der Vampire, Mamma Mia and Phantom of the Opera

In London, I've seen Chicago and Wicked

In NYC on broadway I've seen Phantom of the Opera and American Idiot

In Stratford, Canada, I've seen The Music Man.

I think that's it.. Lots of plays I'd love to see though!
DryCereal
koi pond

internetakeover wrote:What did everyone think of the film adaptation?
"Meh"
On the other hand, really like the Phantom and Rent films.
Kurapika

Why is everyone lucky enough to watch all of those musicals live? I have to live with finding good enough bootlegs :cry:

Speaking of bootlegs, I think it's so fucking hypocritical when people who've have the privilege to be able to watch live musicals any time they can, hate bootlegs. Bitch, if I lived close to NYC or London and had the money, I'd be watching them live, unfortunately, I live in a small ass city in the country side of Brasil. Excuse me for liking musical theater and wanting some quality bootlegs or even official recordings :roll:
sweetmm
angel bean

achika wrote:
How was Miss Saigon? A friend and I were just talking about it that we both wanted to see it but it's not coming here any time soon I don't think. I really really want to see it.
I would describe it as a modern age LesMis; its a bit too Americanised production for me due to their huge special effects team. Its fast moving so you'll be at the edge of your seat. Personally I think its one of those production that worth every penny you spent. Catch it if you can.
DryCereal
koi pond

Kurapika wrote:Why is everyone lucky enough to watch all of those musicals live? I have to live with finding good enough bootlegs :cry:
There's quite a good range of musicals that tour the UK too. In the past 12 months or so I've seen three shows at the Liverpool Empire same place a lot of the footage for the TATINOF USA vid was filmed. (Phantom, Wicked & Lion King). Apart from that, it's planning ahead. I have to travel to/through London fairly regularly for training courses/events etc, so it's a case of booking early to get better prices - hotels, train, occasionally the show tickets themselves.
Kurapika wrote:Speaking of bootlegs, I think it's so fucking hypocritical when people who've have the privilege to be able to watch live musicals any time they can, hate bootlegs. Bitch, if I lived close to NYC or London and had the money, I'd be watching them live, unfortunately, I live in a small ass city in the country side of Brasil. Excuse me for liking musical theater and wanting some quality bootlegs or even official recordings :roll:
Official recordings no-one can fairly have any issue with. They're just being exceptionally snobby. Bootlegs... eh. I don't personally have an issue with it, same as pirating anything else. but they're generally not worthwhile, because the quality is so poor, thanks to cameras/mics being hidden so the recorder doesn't get kicked out.
bluebox-away
woodland creature

A few things I saw were on tour but as I live pretty close to London, I either save up and/or book ahead to get decent deals or a couple of times I have sat outside a theatre for 2 hours before the box office opens for cheap day tickets. It means I saw Curious Incident from a box(!!) for only £15 and Matilda from a crap seat at the back on a student discount for only £5. It's a great way to see stuff on a budget but how good of a seat you get is pretty hit and miss, and you have to sit on a cold pavement in London for several hours at an ungodly time in the morning.. :roll:
There's a really useful website called theatremonkey with info on how to get cheap day tickets for various shows in London