Musical Theater Thread

Kurapika
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

IckleMissMayhem wrote:
Kurapika wrote:Why is everyone lucky enough to watch all of those musicals live? I have to live with finding good enough bootlegs :cry:
There's quite a good range of musicals that tour the UK too. In the past 12 months or so I've seen three shows at the Liverpool Empire same place a lot of the footage for the TATINOF USA vid was filmed. (Phantom, Wicked & Lion King). Apart from that, it's planning ahead. I have to travel to/through London fairly regularly for training courses/events etc, so it's a case of booking early to get better prices - hotels, train, occasionally the show tickets themselves.
Kurapika wrote:Speaking of bootlegs, I think it's so fucking hypocritical when people who've have the privilege to be able to watch live musicals any time they can, hate bootlegs. Bitch, if I lived close to NYC or London and had the money, I'd be watching them live, unfortunately, I live in a small ass city in the country side of Brasil. Excuse me for liking musical theater and wanting some quality bootlegs or even official recordings :roll:
Official recordings no-one can fairly have any issue with. They're just being exceptionally snobby. Bootlegs... eh. I don't personally have an issue with it, same as pirating anything else. but they're generally not worthwhile, because the quality is so poor, thanks to cameras/mics being hidden so the recorder doesn't get kicked out.
We have none of that where I live, unfortunately. There's some musicals in São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, but a plane to those places from where I live are 2+ hours long, and very expensive. It's just not worth it.

And bootlegs are worth it for people like me (although, me, at least, I've been fortunate enough to go to NYC and watch one live. Most people could never afford it), who aren't just a short plane or train ride away :cry:
It just sucks. It's ridiculous that people would think bootlegs are preventing people from paying to see the show. If I had any other way to watch my favorite shows that aren't a shitty recording, I 100% would do it! I'm very very thankful for all the brave people who go and record those bootlegs. They're my heroes
the candlelight by the crescent moon
Jeweul
sad dimple
Pronouns: she/her

So far the only musical I've seen is a bootleg version of The Book of Mormon, inspired by some lovely people over at GiGi.
DryCereal
koi pond

Scottish friend of mine went to see Avenue Q this weekend, told me there's been a little update to the lyrics in "For Now"
Only for now! (Sex!)
Is only for now! (Your hair!)
Is only for now! (DONALD TRUMP!!)
Is only for now!
Don't stress,
Relax,
Let life roll off your backs
Except for death and paying taxes,
Everything in life is only for now!

(I didn't need to put that last part in, but I love it. So I did.)
Brilliant.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
SquishPhan
capita£ester

I have been lucky enough to have seen a few musicals live. So far I have seen Grease, Saturday Night Fever, Dirty Dancing, We Will Rock You (twice, once in London and then again the Dutch version in Utrecht) and Moeder ik wil bij de Revue. The Lion King is coming back in my country later this year, so I am hoping to go and see it this time around.
DryCereal
koi pond

Fave songs?

(Don't worry, I'mma restrain myself!!)

RESTRAINED. I swear(!)
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

These are the two songs that made me ugly cried :sobs:

This song just evoke feelings one does not think one has
Last edited by sweetmm on Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alex
smol bean
Pronouns: he/him

My favourite musicals are RENT, Billy Elliot, and possibly Wicked (in that order). I actually have a tattoo inspired by RENT. I only recently saw it live for the first time after loving the film for years, so that was an emotional experience. It was a small but professional production and I was in the front row, so they made me moo into a microphone during Maureen's protest, which was delightful.

Oh, I also managed to see Matilda for five pounds last time I was in London, and I'd recommend it, it's great (if you're under 26, go to the box office at 10am and you can get limited five pound seats for the same day).

[offtopic]
SquishPhan wrote:I have been lucky enough to have seen a few musicals live. So far I have seen Grease, Saturday Night Fever, Dirty Dancing, We Will Rock You (twice, once in London and then again the Dutch version in Utrecht) and Moeder ik wil bij de Revue. The Lion King is coming back in my country later this year, so I am hoping to go and see it this time around.
I loved Moeder ik wil bij de Revue, but then again, I'll see anything just because Simone is in it. And Jon too, to a lesser extent.[/offtopic]
SquishPhan
capita£ester

alex wrote:
[offtopic]
SquishPhan wrote:I have been lucky enough to have seen a few musicals live. So far I have seen Grease, Saturday Night Fever, Dirty Dancing, We Will Rock You (twice, once in London and then again the Dutch version in Utrecht) and Moeder ik wil bij de Revue. The Lion King is coming back in my country later this year, so I am hoping to go and see it this time around.
I loved Moeder ik wil bij de Revue, but then again, I'll see anything just because Simone is in it. And Jon too, to a lesser extent.[/offtopic]
Yes it was really great and Simone was brilliant in it. When I went, which was one of the first nights, Jon wasn't there, because he injured himself so that was a shame. However the substitute was great as well. I loved it way more than I expected to. :D
bluebox-away
woodland creature

Good song choices (at least the ones I know!) did you watch the recent Annie film? I actually quite liked the modern take on it and the way they changed up the songs, although the original Annie is so so great
Some of my favourites off the top of my head:

The cast recording version is good too but I love me some Anna Kendrick

06/04/2016 - I found The Weakest Link :ninja:
Gif credit: IckleMissMayhem
DryCereal
koi pond

bluebox-away wrote:Good song choices (at least the ones I know!) did you watch the recent Annie film? I actually quite liked the modern take on it and the way they changed up the songs, although the original Annie is so so great
Some of my favourites off the top of my head:

The cast recording version is good too but I love me some Anna Kendrick

I haven't seen the film, bit scared to, tbh. So the only "issue" I have with it is (and it's a humdinger of a pissy, and incredibly petty point!) but Annie isn't Annie if the poor kid playing her doesn't have to suffer having their hair pin curled, the fright wig and the outrageous gingham dress. No lingering memories here, 20ish years later, nosiree!! "Maybe" still reduces my Mum to tears nowadays. :roll:

Also, how the everfluffing eff did I forget "No Good Deed" off my list?! Have some Willemijn in rehearsal. :o
DryCereal
koi pond

Olivier Awards Winners: https://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2016/ol ... s-in-full/
Yessssssss Kinky Boots! And Phantom!!! :D
ciellin
not a first-time poster

omg I LOVE this thread! Does anyone like Mozart-L'opera Rock? Mikelangelo is awesome..
bluebox-away
woodland creature

It's not a musical but it's theatre so not totally off topic? I've just bought tickets to see No Man's Land with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan, I'm super excited to see such legendary actors on stage!
For anyone in the UK they're touring before it starts in London in September and the tickets are pretty decent prices!
sweetmm
angel bean

By the way I caught a few theatre shows during spring/summer, why is there nudity? Is it a trend in UK such as pantomime during XMas?
bluebox-away
woodland creature

sweetmm wrote:By the way I caught a few theatre shows during spring/summer, why is there nudity? Is it a trend in UK such as pantomime during XMas?
Nudity in shows? I can only think of a small number where that happens (only Equus comes to mind right now), I definitely don't think it's a big thing though.. What did you see? :?
sweetmm
angel bean

bluebox-away wrote:
sweetmm wrote:By the way I caught a few theatre shows during spring/summer, why is there nudity? Is it a trend in UK such as pantomime during XMas?
Nudity in shows? I can only think of a small number where that happens (only Equus comes to mind right now), I definitely don't think it's a big thing though.. What did you see? :?
I can't remember the title; the last one I saw was in York @ 1995. The funny part was that my hostel mate who happened to be a nun in training was the one who invited me Lets say we were pretty quiet once the lead male ran around in his birthday suit
DryCereal
koi pond

Certainly a few years ago there were a few shows in the West End that had nudity, Equus was one of them, there was also another that involved a couple in the bath together...? Didn't see either. Only made headlines because OMGZZZZ... HARRY POTTER NEKKID - WHAT IF KIDDIES WANT TO SEE?!!?!?!!! type nonsense press in the UK.
bluebox-away
woodland creature

IckleMissMayhem wrote:Certainly a few years ago there were a few shows in the West End that had nudity, Equus was one of them, there was also another that involved a couple in the bath together...? Didn't see either. Only made headlines because OMGZZZZ... HARRY POTTER NEKKID - WHAT IF KIDDIES WANT TO SEE?!!?!?!!! type nonsense press in the UK.
I remember that and tbh having read Equus any parent considering letting their kid go to see that needs to reevaluate their parenting cause it's really not child friendly at all :?
We studied it at school when I was 16 and I just remember it being really dark and weird and generally fucked up
DryCereal
koi pond

bluebox-away wrote:
IckleMissMayhem wrote:Certainly a few years ago there were a few shows in the West End that had nudity, Equus was one of them, there was also another that involved a couple in the bath together...? Didn't see either. Only made headlines because OMGZZZZ... HARRY POTTER NEKKID - WHAT IF KIDDIES WANT TO SEE?!!?!?!!! type nonsense press in the UK.
I remember that and tbh having read Equus any parent considering letting their kid go to see that needs to reevaluate their parenting cause it's really not child friendly at all :?
We studied it at school when I was 16 and I just remember it being really dark and weird and generally fucked up
Some parents are that stupid though. I witnessed someone trying to take a group of 9-10 year olds to see Avenue Q when I went "cos it's just a puppet show, innit?!" Ummm... No. No it's not.

My pet peeve is parents who buy their kids 18-rated games, then kick off at how violent/scary/sexy/otherwise unsuitable for kids they are. If you wouldn't let them see an 18-rated film, why would you buy a computer game with the same certification?!
bluebox-away
woodland creature

Confirmation that Hamilton is going to be coming to London, Europe and Australia
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/10/magaz ... c=rss&_r=4
SquishPhan
capita£ester

bluebox-away wrote:Confirmation that Hamilton is going to be coming to London, Europe and Australia
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/10/magaz ... c=rss&_r=4
Great. Now I am just hoping that they will be coming here as well. Keeping my fingers crossed.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Ooh, musicals! I won't list every one I've seen, it's a lot and most of one shelf on my bookcase is full of programs. I've seen Cats a fair few times, different casts and general fangirling (even told Dan and Phil in my Tatinof M&G letter to please forgive my weirdness, but they'd make a good Alonzo and Admetus/Macavity. Dan for aloofness and hair-checking vanity, Phil for being great at playing evil when not being a big teenage kitten).

Les Miserables is up there with it as a favourite. Rent, Avenue Q, Oliver and Annie are too. I finally saw Annie for the first time last year having loved the film (and the new one) for over twenty years. Matilda is wonderful too, so clever. Still getting round to seeing Book of Mormon and looking forward to Hamilton when it arrives.

The 10th Anniversary Les Mis concert is worth the watch if anyone's only seen the 25th one btw. Alfie Boe as Valjean and bloke whose name I forget as Javert are good, but not as good as the old classics trotted out for the 10th (Colm Wilkinson and Philip Quast) which is especially obvious when Gavroche comes on and blows them both out the water with volume alone. Wilkinson's falsetto sets him apart from anyone.
DryCereal
koi pond

flarequake wrote:The 10th Anniversary Les Mis concert is worth the watch if anyone's only seen the 25th one btw. Alfie Boe as Valjean and bloke whose name I forget as Javert are good, but not as good as the old classics trotted out for the 10th (Colm Wilkinson and Philip Quast) which is especially obvious when Gavroche comes on and blows them both out the water with volume alone. Wilkinson's falsetto sets him apart from anyone.
Lea Salonga and Michael Ball
canvasoflife
tol bean

How did I not even realize we had a musical theatre thread??? I totally fell in love after taking a Broadway Musicals course during college 9 years ago. Since then I've been fortunate enough to see many different shows (so grateful for US national tours, and some choiceful opportunities to see shows while traveling - Broadway, Chicago, and London's West End).

Most recently, I made a trip to NYC just to see Hamilton (yes, it was 110% worth it, including the insane resale ticket prices I paid). I guess you could say I'm Hamilton and I'm not even sorry. I stage-doored three days in a row and got to chat with and take pictures with Lin-Manuel Miranda, Anthony Ramos, Daveed Diggs, and Jonathan Groff. Definitely one of the most incredible experiences of my life.

My top ten that I've seen are: Hamilton, Les Miserables, The Book of Mormon, Rent, Spring Awakening, Sweeney Todd, Newsies, Beauty and the Beast, Wicked, and Pippin

Also...probably unpopular opinion considering it's success, I saw Kinky Boots last year and was completely underwhelmed. I found the story too superficial and none of the songs resonated with me.

I certainly had some unique experiences - realizing after the fact that Adam Lambert was in the ensemble for Wicked in the show I saw (pre-American Idol fame) and getting the chance to see Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp reprise their roles in the Rent revival.
"What makes a monster and what makes a man?"
DryCereal
koi pond

I have stroppy issues with B'way at the minute. WHY is NERDS! binned (at least for now?) I was so looking forward to that (Lindsay Mendez & Rory O'Malley...ummm, hello?!) But it seems like twas not meant to be. :(
Anybody watch the "Obsessed!:" series on broadway . com's YT channel? If not, you should, some of them are amazing/hilarious.

Wasn't it also Shoshana who nearly fell out of the DG lift one time? IDK.

Tugger getting sued(!) and Cats makeup in <4 mins. Sort of.

"And I am telling you - I'm not singing that song!"