Music thread (Kanye use limited)

angrymob
hobbit hair

I feel like those of you who like Muse, might like IAMX.

IAMX

Some of my favs:

human wrote: Me and missemma just got Placebo tickets for December so I've been listening to a lot of them lately. This song still strikes me as stunning, I doubt they'll play it but one can dream.

I've seen them twice and saw them perform last year and I'm 90% sure that they played this song. Regardless, they consistently put on good shows! The height difference between Brian Molko and Stefan Olsdal always shocks me though.
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

human wrote:
sweetmm wrote:Guys am I the only person here that is listening to ZAYN's new album? :oops:
Hahaha probably ;) lol j/k, I started it on Spotify and had to turn it off. Kid has a good voice and good for him for moving on from 1D and taking control of his career tbh, fair play. But the album sounds a bit boring. Would not relisten lol.
I'm only listening to the whole album to know what the fuss is about, a few decent songs but won't re-listen to it again. Only song stuck to me was Like I Would.
iero
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

i'm hugely into the smiths/morrissey

my chemical romance have had a special place in my heart for the past decade

i also really love björk & david bowie ( :cry: )

i was obsessed with kpop in 2008-2013 but i've lost most interest... shinee were my favs throughout that time and they're the only group i keep up with now. in 2011 i had the chance to go to smtown to see shinee, tvxq, f(x), super junior and girls' generation live and it was incrediblee. my kpop faves are taemin, sulli & tiffany.
other than the above my go-to genre has always been under the rock umbrella. i'd say i like music from p much all non-obscure genres though.

my chemical romance, panic! at the disco, fall out boy, twenty one pilots

nirvana, the cure, milk teeth, black sabbath, joy division, the smashing pumpkins, bikini kill, rhcp, pixies, gorillaz, metallica, pearl jam, bring me the horizon, pvris, enter shikari
^these are just what im currently feeling atm, it always switches around other than the 4 ppl i mentioned at the beginning of my post

i like some rap but im not a huge listener- my faves are kanye im sorry and tyler, the creator
oh i also have a soft spot for britney spears
albion
drama llama

hi
to the person who mentioned zayn's album. hoLy H*CK it was so good!!!!!! not into that kind of music much but honestly, i stan zayn so bad. i feel like he hit the nail on the head with that intermission in urdu. Honestly such a good album.

to be more about what im listening to atm

- im so excited about The Last Shadow Puppets new album coming this friday! it's gonna be hard to top their last 2008 album (honestly BRILLIANT, you should definitely listen to it) and since the singles theyve put out are more of slow burns rather that instant excitement... but it's good. also, it entertains me seeing them almost drown in this video.
- my fave band is the libertines. actually im more of a pete doherty fan in general, so the libs, babyshambles and his solo work are like the best thing under this sun in my eyes. one of the members of babyshambles helped this kid (he's 20) get signed and i rly like him! Also he's actually really funny on twitter, in a laddish way.
- new peter doherty album in autumn and his new single goes out next month. i hope this demo makes into the album, i really love him. he's precious.
- also im weirdly into the undertale ost. it's just... so good....
- finally, where would i be without the smiths honestly?

im actually into all kinds of music. i have a very weird angst with My chemical Romance since i stanned for them for around 7 to 8 years. And i have the fondest memories of every band that played at warped tour 2005 like the used and taking back sunday lmao, i was that kind of girl. Also flyleaf

i hope i didnt come off as pretentious thats like my only worry when i talk about music. i used to work at like an indie record store and Oh gOD pretentious music people (like dan) are the one thing i can't stand.
xx
angrymob
hobbit hair

Moving this discussion to the music thread, don't mind me.
shikaritrash wrote: I don't remember seeing your username so don't be shocked :lol: I would be too tbh, I mean the only way someone would recognize me would be because I was the main mcrmy (omg) french account and that's it, and i had different usernames and stuff so it's all fine 8-) incognito (wow)

Yay ETF! That first album is amazing I still listen to it from time to time. Loved Ronnie Radke's voice even though I don't really like Falling in Reverse :( But yeah lead singer going to jail doesn't really work out :lol: I think they still exist with Craig Mabbit though? They might not anymore and I'm just unaware of it. Will probably check out FFTL then, why not. (we should probably move this discussion to the music thread shouldn't we? :lol: )
That's probably good. Every once and awhile I come across comments I made and cringe forever.

Mcrmy avait un site français? If I had have known that, maybe I wouldn't have been quite as shit at French as I was going into uni.

I'm not a big fan of Falling in Reverse either. I wonder why, it does sound similar to ETF, but doesn't grab me the same way. Similarly for ETF's second album, it's okay, but a bit meh.
Kurapika
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

You know what songs are really great? From soundtracks of Disney movies.
I'm a big fan of the Tangled soundtrack (when i was at wdw last year and wishes was about to start, there were projections on the castle from movies, with songs playing, and things were a bit of a mess with my family, and we were running. but i remember this incredible moment of a really loud song stopping suddenly, i stop walking and look at the castle behind me and "i see the light" starts playing while the floating lights are projected on the castle. a true magical moment), and Mary Poppins.
the candlelight by the crescent moon
timtam
lady door

At any given time there's probably a 90% chance that I'm listening to Florence and the Machine.

I have been listening to Grimes a bit lately though. I wasn't a huge fan of her earlier albums but I absolutely love Art Angels (so does Dan I think it was on his top albums list last year). I'm in a bit of a music rut though I can't find anything new that I like rn. I might have to check out some of everyone's suggestions but I think I have music taste that is a bit different to what is mentioned.
mintsans
sofa crease

I was a very intense Placebo stan up until they released Battle for the sun. Like INTENSE. Very. You have no idea.

As for other bands/musicians I really really like...
The Smiths, Depeche Mode, The Cure, Joy Division, NIN, PJ Harvey, Kanye, Sonic Youth, Muse, Arctic Monkeys, Black rebel motorcycle club, Patrick Wolf, Two door cinema club, Ladytron, The Cribs, Interpol, Grammatics (fantastic band RIP in peace), Fiona Apple, Hooverphonic, Garbage, Childish gambino, Amy Winehouse :( etc
But since most of these are dead/broken up/on hiatus/not releasing music anymore/very old/very boring new material I also like a lot of pop and hip hop!

Currently I'm very intro this song

and my SAD BOYS CLUB playlist :D
Lari
phillion/danosaur <//3

missemma wrote:
Lari wrote:

this my most listened to album atm mostly because i'm too lazy to change the cd in my car but also because it's amazing ;)
You know I love your music taste already :D
and i love ur music taste
Kurapika wrote:You know what songs are really great? From soundtracks of Disney movies.
i sometimes listen to disney soundtracks

i'm rewatching parasyte so "let me hear" is back in my most played list
deerly
glabella
Pronouns: they/them

iero,
the smiths, bjork, bowie, shinee, my chemical romance, patd, the cure, joy division, the smashing pumpkins, bikini kill, pixies, gorillaz YAAAY
albion,
i'm really excited for the new TLSP as well! but also kinda sceptical, their first album was so good i don't think they'll ever do something as great, it's truly magical and better than the whole AM discography tbh. really like the multiple music video story thing that they've got going on, even if the story itself is a bit WTF

also libs

i was writing my final paper and it was HELL, but a few albums helped me get through it!
the first one is actor by st. vincent. i was really into it in 2009 and even had laughing with a mouth of blood as a ringtone AND an alarm for more than a year and then kinda..have forgotten about her and her music? but then a new album came out in 2015 and i really liked it and thought that everything she's done before is boring in comparison. i was sooo wrong! she's v great, and every album is special in its own way

the 2nd one is yamantaka // sonic titan, they are indescribable honestly, they're one of a kind. kinda prog, kinda industrial, kinda metal and kinda j-pop inspired but actually neither, they just don't fit any genre and that's what's great about them! both their lps are amazing
also they are non-het-cis folks and cool lgbt+ activists

then purity ring's 1st album, they are nothing special, but undeniably catchy, i really like megan's voice

phamnotof wrote:I like my reserved, nerdy awkward weirdos who electroshock their balls in the privacy of their own bedroom with proper safe words and some bloody decorum.
shikaritrash

angrymob wrote:Moving this discussion to the music thread, don't mind me.
shikaritrash wrote: I don't remember seeing your username so don't be shocked :lol: I would be too tbh, I mean the only way someone would recognize me would be because I was the main mcrmy (omg) french account and that's it, and i had different usernames and stuff so it's all fine 8-) incognito (wow)

Yay ETF! That first album is amazing I still listen to it from time to time. Loved Ronnie Radke's voice even though I don't really like Falling in Reverse :( But yeah lead singer going to jail doesn't really work out :lol: I think they still exist with Craig Mabbit though? They might not anymore and I'm just unaware of it. Will probably check out FFTL then, why not. (we should probably move this discussion to the music thread shouldn't we? :lol: )
That's probably good. Every once and awhile I come across comments I made and cringe forever.

Mcrmy avait un site français? If I had have known that, maybe I wouldn't have been quite as shit at French as I was going into uni.

I'm not a big fan of Falling in Reverse either. I wonder why, it does sound similar to ETF, but doesn't grab me the same way. Similarly for ETF's second album, it's okay, but a bit meh.
About the comments thing, that never happens to me but oh god, that's a good thing. I avoid that mcrmyfrance twitter account as if my life depends on it (and tbh i should think about deleting it but i have very good memories with friends so...). Yes we did have a french website, it's long gone now. It was called our chemical romance and then some other part of the fandom made their own ~french mcrmy~ website and drama ensued. much fandom, very cringe.

I think that for FIR, their first video or videoS i don't remember, came across as pretty much sexist and stuff, to me :roll: , and kind of lame so I just...stayed away from it. ETF's 1st album is just fine and that's it.

(wow closed the tab and reopened it without losing my post, thanks lovely forum )
timtam wrote:I have been listening to Grimes a bit lately though. I wasn't a huge fan of her earlier albums but I absolutely love Art Angels (so does Dan I think it was on his top albums list last year).
Grimes' last album is I love it. I've known about her for a long time now but I just thought it was a bit too "weird" for me. That last album is great though. Thanks Dan. Went about 2 months listening to it all the time.

I really like Placebo. I'm not like in the fandom or anything but I love their music. Didn't really like the last album, loved Battle for the sun and Meds The older stuff too. Great great stuff.

Let's talk about TLSP ohmygod. I couldn't get tickets for friday and now I am deeply regretting it and can't be able to find someone selling theirs. I'm so excited. I know the album leaked 2 days ago but I'm too much of a lazy a** and will just wait for it to be on spotify on friday. Aviation and Miracle Aligner are truly amazing I am so glad they are back after 8 years, I thought we would never get another album. The first one is one of my favourite ever and always my go-to when I don't know what to listen when travelling.
yes yes yes i am going to talk about enter shikari later and i don't expect anyone to want and read it and it is probably going to be long as f*ck so prepare yourselves
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ dan senses tingling 24/7 soz ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
DryCereal
koi pond

Kurapika wrote:You know what songs are really great? From soundtracks of Disney movies.
I'm a big fan of the Tangled soundtrack (when i was at wdw last year and wishes was about to start, there were projections on the castle from movies, with songs playing, and things were a bit of a mess with my family, and we were running. but i remember this incredible moment of a really loud song stopping suddenly, i stop walking and look at the castle behind me and "i see the light" starts playing while the floating lights are projected on the castle. a true magical moment), and Mary Poppins.

Disney soundtracks!!!!! Just... nearly all of them!
Ahem... This isn't all of them, by a looooooong shot, only the ones I keep close at hand (for singalongs)
Disney since 1989.
Not sure why I keep the Frozen OST there... I went and checked, it's literally just the German and multi-language versions of Let It Go. Massive Willemijn Verkaik stan that I am.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
deerly
glabella

angrymob, omg, i love IAMX so much! they are amazing live, too
chris corner's old project sneaker pimps was also cool

phamnotof wrote:I like my reserved, nerdy awkward weirdos who electroshock their balls in the privacy of their own bedroom with proper safe words and some bloody decorum.
angrymob
hobbit hair

deerly wrote:angrymob, omg, i love IAMX so much! they are amazing live, too
chris corner's old project sneaker pimps was also cool

Yes! I saw them during the Metanoia tour last Autumn. Only complaint was that it was a bit short since they have such a large discography. It's almost guaranteed that your favourite song won't get played (I just wanted to hear Volatile Times, pls). I also really like the opener, Mr. Kitty, he has some pretty cool Punky Synth stuff going on.
shikaritrash wrote: About the comments thing, that never happens to me but oh god, that's a good thing. I avoid that mcrmyfrance twitter account as if my life depends on it (and tbh i should think about deleting it but i have very good memories with friends so...). Yes we did have a french website, it's long gone now. It was called our chemical romance and then some other part of the fandom made their own ~french mcrmy~ website and drama ensued. much fandom, very cringe.
Hmm, where have I seen that sort of drama ensue before? :roll:
shikaritrash wrote: I think that for FIR, their first video or videoS i don't remember, came across as pretty much sexist and stuff, to me :roll: , and kind of lame so I just...stayed away from it. ETF's 1st album is just fine and that's it.

(wow closed the tab and reopened it without losing my post, thanks lovely forum )
ETF's 1st album is fine, but I remember being a bit uncomfortable about how tacky the music video for Situations was. Sort of disappointed me. I thought what was cool about the mid-2000's emo scene was that a lot of the music was focused so much on random-ass half-naked women, but more on cringy teenage crushes and death, lots of death and heartbreak. And as cringy as it was, it really humanized some of the stereotypes both guys and girls had in other genres.

Btw, Bright Eyes still satisfies my embarrassing angst quota to this day. Plus, he is bordeline respectable to listen to now without getting made fun of and Desaparecidos new album is badass.

deerly
glabella

angrymob wrote: Yes! I saw them during the Metanoia tour last Autumn. Only complaint was that it was a bit short since they have such a large discography. It's almost guaranteed that your favourite song won't get played (I just wanted to hear Volatile Times, pls). I also really like the opener, Mr. Kitty, he has some pretty cool Punky Synth stuff going on
We saw them during the same tour yet our experiences are so different! First of all, the gig I've been to was sooo long I was actually worried I would miss the last train and have to walk home by foot for 4 hours. And they definitely played Volatile Times, it's so strange, I thought their setlist was the same in every city for the tour, except encores. They played my fav (Bring me back a dog) during the 2nd encore and I cried happy tears. But we didn't have a support band, which is a shame, because I really like Mr.Kitty and it would have been great to see him live :cry:
ironic
lady door

angrymob wrote: Yes! I saw them during the Metanoia tour last Autumn. Only complaint was that it was a bit short since they have such a large discography. It's almost guaranteed that your favourite song won't get played (I just wanted to hear Volatile Times, pls).
OMG literally same :) I really hoped for Volatile Times but they didn't play it in my country either. Still an amazing concert, though. Great band and great energy.
If we all just traded in our knives for cakes, the world would be a better place.
human
dan hand trash

shikaritrash wrote:
timtam wrote:I have been listening to Grimes a bit lately though. I wasn't a huge fan of her earlier albums but I absolutely love Art Angels (so does Dan I think it was on his top albums list last year).
Grimes' last album is I love it. I've known about her for a long time now but I just thought it was a bit too "weird" for me. That last album is great though. Thanks Dan. Went about 2 months listening to it all the time.
I really didn't want Dan to be right about Grimes' album, but I loved it so much on Spotify that I bought it on iTunes. Which is VERY rare for me to do! Idk why I rarely use iTunes but I pay for Spotify so it's the most convenient place for all of my music. But damn it's SO good, love it. Jammy git was right lol.
Kurapika

I'm gonna rec some Brazilian music here:
Monomania by Clarice Falcão,
Pra te Acalmar by Marcelo Camelo,
Sambinha Bom by Mallu Magalhães,
Homens e Mulheres by Ana Carolina,
Tempos de Pipa by Cícero,
Admirável Chip Novo by Pitty

IckleMissMayhem, my iTunes is literally the same lmao I love Disney sososoos much, and I've never met someone irl who likes it as well :( :( :( I'm gonna try and get into the DIsney Exchange Program this year, and work at WDW
When I went to WDW last year everyone from my family kept judging me because I knew pretty much all the songs playing everywhere and would sing along. Just slightly annoying lol
the candlelight by the crescent moon
shikaritrash

angrymob wrote:
shikaritrash wrote: About the comments thing, that never happens to me but oh god, that's a good thing. I avoid that mcrmyfrance twitter account as if my life depends on it (and tbh i should think about deleting it but i have very good memories with friends so...). Yes we did have a french website, it's long gone now. It was called our chemical romance and then some other part of the fandom made their own ~french mcrmy~ website and drama ensued. much fandom, very cringe.
Hmm, where have I seen that sort of drama ensue before? :roll:
shikaritrash wrote: I think that for FIR, their first video or videoS i don't remember, came across as pretty much sexist and stuff, to me :roll: , and kind of lame so I just...stayed away from it. ETF's 1st album is just fine and that's it.

ETF's 1st album is fine, but I remember being a bit uncomfortable about how tacky the music video for Situations was. Sort of disappointed me. I thought what was cool about the mid-2000's emo scene was that a lot of the music was focused so much on random-ass half-naked women, but more on cringy teenage crushes and death, lots of death and heartbreak. And as cringy as it was, it really humanized some of the stereotypes both guys and girls had in other genres.
I completely forgot about that video and...oh boy...what even was that?? I just rewatched it and what a huge cringe fest. Still very much laughing about everyone's style though... :lol: *sigh* I can understand being uncomfortable about it. There's a lot of things that now, I wouldn't enjoy as much as before just because of the way I look at them. Yay me for growing up and noticing when something's not right. (sorry for the self appreciation but someone has to do it right :lol: )

The Last Shadow Puppets' album comes out tomorrow. :yippee: I'm very much excited and can't wait to listen to the new songs. Gutted I couldn't find second hand tickets to see them in London tomorrow though, I'll enjoy the songs in my bedroom i guess... :(

Also forgot to point out that I started listening twenty one pilots...about...a month and half ago and oh god, why have I waited so long?? I saw them everywhere on social media and never listened to them but believe me that when I did, I spent the whole day doing so and looking up the lyrics at the same time. What a wild emotional ride that was. (rip my sanity when i saw them live two weeks after and couldn't see sh*t because of people's smartphones taking shitty videos :roll: )
I love what they stand for and I believe it's a little bit what I need these days.

Fave because lyrics
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ dan senses tingling 24/7 soz ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
angrymob
hobbit hair

deerly wrote: We saw them during the same tour yet our experiences are so different! First of all, the gig I've been to was sooo long I was actually worried I would miss the last train and have to walk home by foot for 4 hours. And they definitely played Volatile Times, it's so strange, I thought their setlist was the same in every city for the tour, except encores. They played my fav (Bring me back a dog) during the 2nd encore and I cried happy tears. But we didn't have a support band, which is a shame, because I really like Mr.Kitty and it would have been great to see him live :cry:
This was literally my setlist. We didn't even get Bring me back a dog, but at least we did get I am Terrified for the encore. There was an after party, however, which I got invited to but didn't go because I had to be up early the next morning. I'm guessing Mr. Kitty was only there for the North American part of the tour.

ironic wrote: OMG literally same :) I really hoped for Volatile Times but they didn't play it in my country either. Still an amazing concert, though. Great band and great energy.
We've been deprieved of our song. It's a travesty! :sobs: Did they smear black grease chalk on everyone at your show too! I know I wasn't expecting to look like I had a black eye after the show.

mintsans
sofa crease

angrymob wrote:
that's a great setlist actually! lots of songs from Kiss + Swallow

I was just thinking about the song Sailor the other day, seeing dan and phil's calendar pictures where they're wearing little sailor outfits reminded me of it hhaha
deerly
glabella

angrymob wrote:This was literally my setlist.
And now I'm sad we didn't get a Bernadette! But I'd probably full on snot and sobs cried if we did..
mintsans wrote: I was just thinking about the song Sailor the other day, seeing dan and phil's calendar pictures where they're wearing little sailor outfits reminded me of it hhaha
OMG YES I THOUGHT I'M THE ONLY ONE. I can't listen to this song without thinking of the fuckign calendar pic, it's ruined forever, the other day it came on shuffle and I laughed out loud right on the train
Also the movie Querelle comes to mind every time..

Aaand another great homoerotic song about sailors
angrymob
hobbit hair

deerly wrote:
angrymob wrote:This was literally my setlist.
And now I'm sad we didn't get a Bernadette! But I'd probably full on snot and sobs cried if we did..
See, this is the struggle with liking musicians with a lot of songs, I just want them to play all their songs forever. :lol:
ironic
lady door

angrymob wrote: We've been deprieved of our song. It's a travesty! :sobs: Did they smear black grease chalk on everyone at your show too! I know I wasn't expecting to look like I had a black eye after the show.
They didn't and I didn't know that they happen to do that! I found myself covered in glitter when I came home because a lot of people from the audience had glittery faces and arms, it was pretty cool :)
shikaritrash wrote: Also forgot to point out that I started listening twenty one pilots...about...a month and half ago and oh god, why have I waited so long?? I saw them everywhere on social media and never listened to them but believe me that when I did, I spent the whole day doing so and looking up the lyrics at the same time. What a wild emotional ride that was. (rip my sanity when i saw them live two weeks after and couldn't see sh*t because of people's smartphones taking shitty videos :roll: )
I love what they stand for and I believe it's a little bit what I need these days.
I started listening to twenty one pilots a few months ago because of some phandom memebers and it's the best thing I got from my little obsession with D&P :D The band immediately became one of my faves, the lyrics speak to me on a personal level, and I believe they can really be helpful. Also the music is awesome, obviously. I would love to see them performing live, but they're not coming to my country as for now. (Ugh and people taking videos and pictures at concerts all the time are so annoying!)
If we all just traded in our knives for cakes, the world would be a better place.
deerly
glabella

ironic wrote: I found myself covered in glitter when I came home because a lot of people from the audience had glittery faces and arms, it was pretty cool :)
[/quote]
Isn't it an unwritten rule to go to their gigs wearing only leather and glitter? :D I did just that.
The best thing is taking off your shoes at home, turning it upside down and watch all the glitter fall.. and fall..and then the more you shake the shoe the more glitter comes and it never.. never stops..