Brockhampton thread

kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

I've noticed we are a few Brockhampton fans here, so I thought I'd make a thread to discuss the best boy band since One Direction.

Thoughts on the new album? It's a bit different from the Saturation era and it took me a couple of listens to warm up to it but damn, there are some golden songs on there. For now I'll just leave this here because this kid is everything
Full video
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Lmao I am totally that kid.

I really liked Iridescence! It was definitely heavier, and the sound is different from the Saturation era (which I love because I think it's better when a group can show a wide range of diverse sounds while still being true to themselves), but it's been on repeat for me, and I find myself reaching for it often tbh. I think I especially love the transitions on this album, like going from j'ouvert to honey was so awesome to hear for the first time. As for favourite tracks, I love thug life, honey, weight, and san marcos a lot.
kavat
pastel persona

obsessivelymoody wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:39 pm Lmao I am totally that kid.

I really liked Iridescence! It was definitely heavier, and the sound is different from the Saturation era (which I love because I think it's better when a group can show a wide range of diverse sounds while still being true to themselves), but it's been on repeat for me, and I find myself reaching for it often tbh. I think I especially love the transitions on this album, like going from j'ouvert to honey was so awesome to hear for the first time. As for favourite tracks, I love thug life, honey, weight, and san marcos a lot.
Yes, the transitions are amazing! New Orleans to Thug life? I got chills when I first heard it.

I like that we get to see the different members do new things, like Bearface rapping and Joba just getting to a whole new level. Joba on J'ouvert is like a slap in the face and I love it.

Its great that they now have the ability to do more expensive things like the strings and the children's choir. They just lift everything. I'd say my favourites are Honey, San Marcos and Weight. When Kevin mentioned Ashlan and the razor? I almost started crying on the commuter train.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

kavat wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:11 am Yes, the transitions are amazing! New Orleans to Thug life? I got chills when I first heard it.

I like that we get to see the different members do new things, like Bearface rapping and Joba just getting to a whole new level. Joba on J'ouvert is like a slap in the face and I love it.

Its great that they now have the ability to do more expensive things like the strings and the children's choir. They just lift everything. I'd say my favourites are Honey, San Marcos and Weight. When Kevin mentioned Ashlan and the razor? I almost started crying on the commuter train.
Yes to all of that!! I think that's one of the benefits of them being smaller and more independent for so long because we can really see how far they've come in just a year. And yeah god, that line in Weight also destroyed me.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I loooove iridescence. I was nervous before listening to it but boy did they deliver. San Marcos, Honey, Weight and District are my favorite, but it's one of those albums I can stream without skipping a single song which is something that doesn't happen very often.

They've definitely matured a lot this year and it shows. It's an album full of emotions and the choir in San Marcos gives me actual chills every single time. I also like how they found a new way to use Bearface, because he was definitely underused in the Saturation era.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

This is my first time listening to brockhampton, though I have thoroughly enjoyed Kevin Abstract's solo work and albums. I'm really liking it though, iridescence has been on repeat all week for me. I'm a huge fan of weight and tonya.
kavat
pastel persona

Has any of you seen the documentary, The longest summer in America? I went to a screening the day before the album dropped, and it was amazing to see how much they've grown in the past year. I watched the Saturation doc recently (which is not much of a documentary as it is 2h of vlog style clips with the occasional voice over from HK) and it's so clear how far they've come. Like, there's a part from the making of S1 or maybe S2 where Joba is like "I feel like a puzzle piece that don't really fit in, you guys have your thing but I don't rap so I don't feel like I belong" and! Look at him now! Not only does he rap but he's (IMO) the strongest voice on Iridescence. I feel like a proud aunt or something :lol:

And in the new documentary (which is a proper documentary with a narrative and interviews) you can see everything they've been through this year, from the high of completing the Saturation era, to hanging out with Ansel Elgort and Jamie Foxx to signing with RCA to the Ameer drama to going to Hawaii to the European tour to Abbey Road... And all of it has culminated in Iridescence. They really deserve all of the success they have.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

kavat wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:34 pm Has any of you seen the documentary, The longest summer in America? I went to a screening the day before the album dropped, and it was amazing to see how much they've grown in the past year. I watched the Saturation doc recently (which is not much of a documentary as it is 2h of vlog style clips with the occasional voice over from HK) and it's so clear how far they've come. Like, there's a part from the making of S1 or maybe S2 where Joba is like "I feel like a puzzle piece that don't really fit in, you guys have your thing but I don't rap so I don't feel like I belong" and! Look at him now! Not only does he rap but he's (IMO) the strongest voice on Iridescence. I feel like a proud aunt or something :lol:

And in the new documentary (which is a proper documentary with a narrative and interviews) you can see everything they've been through this year, from the high of completing the Saturation era, to hanging out with Ansel Elgort and Jamie Foxx to signing with RCA to the Ameer drama to going to Hawaii to the European tour to Abbey Road... And all of it has culminated in Iridescence. They really deserve all of the success they have.
I want to see the documentary so bad because I watched the trailer and it looks awesome but unfortunately there's not gonna be a screening where I live (how shocking :sideeye: ), so I really hope it will be available online eventually.

P.S. I agree about Joba. :love2:
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I haven't seen either of them yet, but I'm hoping to at some point soon. I agree with you guys completely about Joba, and it makes me more pumped to watch the documentaries when I can (and hopefully back to back) because they really have grown so much and it would be nice to see that growth and extreme transitions in that form.

Has anyone seen them live? I've only seen clips on youtube as I missed them the last few times they were here, and they're coming again in November, and I know I would love to see them (if I can pluck up the courage to go alone that is, since the one person I know who likes them is busy that night :/) since they seem like they put on such a great show.
kavat
pastel persona

obsessivelymoody wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:20 pm I haven't seen either of them yet, but I'm hoping to at some point soon. I agree with you guys completely about Joba, and it makes me more pumped to watch the documentaries when I can (and hopefully back to back) because they really have grown so much and it would be nice to see that growth and extreme transitions in that form.

Has anyone seen them live? I've only seen clips on youtube as I missed them the last few times they were here, and they're coming again in November, and I know I would love to see them (if I can pluck up the courage to go alone that is, since the one person I know who likes them is busy that night :/) since they seem like they put on such a great show.
I haven't seen them live. They came to Sweden this summer, but was across the country on a festival and I just didn't feel like spending that much money for travel, hotel and festival ticket to go to one show, alone. They seem to like Europe though so I feel like there's a chance they'll come back at some point.

I feel you on going alone. But the times I have gone alone to concerts and shows have always been worth it, and I have always regretted the times I didn't go because I didn't have company. Usually no one cares, everyone is there to see the show after all.
bevioletsky
glabella

Well look at me, finally registering to this forum - to talk about Brockhampton. Hi.

I think everyone should absolutely go see them live if they have the chance! I saw them in August, and it was so much fun. The boys were super energetic, as was the crowd. They played a really tight set, I think they managed fifteen songs in an hour. A great selection of songs as well, I'm kind of glad I got to see them before iridescence came out just because now they have to cut some Saturation-era songs from the setlists. I was sweating buckets at the end of the gig, I swear Boogie as the last song murdered me. So if you're not into jumping and pushing and all that, I highly recommend staying at the back. But yeah, 10/10, would go again any day. Kevin actually liked a tweet about someone being nervous about them suddenly dropping European tour dates on us the other day, so I think it's highly likely they'll come back relatively soon.

Oh and about going alone: I agree with @kavat that I've never regretted it. I do that a lot though, because none of my friends really share my taste in music. When I've gone to festivals on my own it can get a bit lonely sometimes, and I get self-conscious about being alone when it seems like everyone else is in groups, but in reality I don't think anyone cares, and at individual shows no one definitely will. You won't be the only one going alone, everyone's there for the same purpose, and as you have at least one shared interest you could even end up making new friends. If you're brave enough to talk to the people around you, that is (which I'm usually not).

I haven't seen the documentary, I would love to, though, as the trailer looked amazing. They did have a screening in my country, but the tickets were given through some contest and it would've been too short a notice as it wasn't in my city. Seeing them go through everything that they have over the past year in that format would be interesting. I think those shared experiences show up on the new album as well. Re: iridescence, I'd give it an 8/10 (so I actually agree with Dan, lmao). I like the direction they went for, but not all the songs are as strong as others. The second half of the album is better, I think, I love it all from Tape onwards. Or Weight, even. Fave songs are probably San Marcos, Tonya, Weight, and Honey. The new video for San Marcos is really sweet as well.
kavat
pastel persona

bevioletsky wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:05 pm Well look at me, finally registering to this forum - to talk about Brockhampton. Hi.

I think everyone should absolutely go see them live if they have the chance! I saw them in August, and it was so much fun. The boys were super energetic, as was the crowd. They played a really tight set, I think they managed fifteen songs in an hour. A great selection of songs as well, I'm kind of glad I got to see them before iridescence came out just because now they have to cut some Saturation-era songs from the setlists. I was sweating buckets at the end of the gig, I swear Boogie as the last song murdered me. So if you're not into jumping and pushing and all that, I highly recommend staying at the back. But yeah, 10/10, would go again any day. Kevin actually liked a tweet about someone being nervous about them suddenly dropping European tour dates on us the other day, so I think it's highly likely they'll come back relatively soon.

Oh and about going alone: I agree with @kavat that I've never regretted it. I do that a lot though, because none of my friends really share my taste in music. When I've gone to festivals on my own it can get a bit lonely sometimes, and I get self-conscious about being alone when it seems like everyone else is in groups, but in reality I don't think anyone cares, and at individual shows no one definitely will. You won't be the only one going alone, everyone's there for the same purpose, and as you have at least one shared interest you could even end up making new friends. If you're brave enough to talk to the people around you, that is (which I'm usually not).

I haven't seen the documentary, I would love to, though, as the trailer looked amazing. They did have a screening in my country, but the tickets were given through some contest and it would've been too short a notice as it wasn't in my city. Seeing them go through everything that they have over the past year in that format would be interesting. I think those shared experiences show up on the new album as well. Re: iridescence, I'd give it an 8/10 (so I actually agree with Dan, lmao). I like the direction they went for, but not all the songs are as strong as others. The second half of the album is better, I think, I love it all from Tape onwards. Or Weight, even. Fave songs are probably San Marcos, Tonya, Weight, and Honey. The new video for San Marcos is really sweet as well.
:welcome: Hi! Welcome to the place where we bant about british boys and boybands :thumb:

Wow, yeah I've seen clips from shows and it seems intense, there are moshpits like in metal shows and everything. If I get to see them I'm standing in the back like the old lady I am :lol: