Podcasts

greatnessflicker
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: she/her

I can't be the only one who loves radio as a storytelling medium around here!

So, what are your favorite podcasts? I'll admit I really only listen to the "big ones" right now, so I'm down for some recommendations.

Ones I listen to religiously:
This American Life
Serial
& Undisclosed
Invisiblia

If you are thinking about getting into TAL and don't know where to start, here are some of my favorite episodes.

Political/Social & Criminal Justice-y ones:
The Problem We All Live With, Three Miles, Cops See it Differently, Dr. Gilmer and Mr. Hyde, Lower 9 + 10, Harper High School

Just awesome human culture ones:
Poetry of Propaganda, If you don't have anything nice to say SAY IT IN ALL CAPS, Status Update, and Hoaxing Yourself (you guys might find this interesting as the one thing we all have in common is being more than casual fans of D&P. There's a story here about a girl who lied to gain popularity in the Rent fandom way back).

Also occasionally tune in for:
Mystery Show
Dear Hank & John
Welcome to Night Vale
Mugglenet
and Pottercast, back in the good old days.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Ooh, yes, I love podcasts!

Current recs:
No Such Thing As a Fish (podcast from the QI writers full of weird, random trivia)
Oh No, Ross and Carrie (investigate fringe movements/religions/cults/etc by becoming members/trying products out firsthand)

(Also second the recs for Serial and Dear Hank & John.)
lilMango
morning quiff

I don't listen to many podcasts, but I really love The Brilliant Idiots. They just talk about recent events and hip-hop culture. They're really entertaining and are good to listen to on a bus ride, 10/10 would recommend
Phil Lester wrote:"I'll rub myself in a mango before I eat a mango."
"Make no judgements where you have no compassion." -Anne McCaffrey
mio
#relatable

Ohhh podcasts! I love listening to them while drawing/working.

Serial is one of my all time favorite things (I became too invested in this at some point) and I'm not surprised you guys like it too. After all we are into real-life mysteries right?

I love fansplaining.
Highly interesting talks about (meta) fandom topics with great guests and different opinions, as well as top-notch banter and silly references all over the place.
I don't always agree with the guests but they bring up some great points to think about.
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
Skeletorsrighthand
living flop

hmm i dont really listen to podcasts often but one podcast that i consistently followed was nightvale.
How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
iero
phabergé

i used to LOVE the yogpod (just random humorous conversation) but they don't really make it anymore
helvetica
sofa crease

Welcome to Nightvale was really good and will always hold a special place in my heart, but I think they went downhill a little recently
Skeletorsrighthand
living flop

confetti-j wrote:Welcome to Nightvale was really good and will always hold a special place in my heart, but I think they went downhill a little recently
i have have not really listened to them recently, since i'm a bit busy what would make you say that ?
How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
jesp
why bother

Here's my podcast list. I'm always looking for more recommendations, too.

{there's a bunch of images under the spoiler, mobile users}
helvetica
sofa crease

Skeletorsrighthand wrote:
confetti-j wrote:Welcome to Nightvale was really good and will always hold a special place in my heart, but I think they went downhill a little recently
i have have not really listened to them recently, since i'm a bit busy what would make you say that ?
I'll admit I haven't listened to it recently either, perhaps it's improved after I stopped tuning in regularly.
For me personally, a lot of the allure of the older episodes are the words, the poetic imagery of the different segments, like Dana's monologue about her adventures, or the Story about You, for example.

And the episodes about Cecil's backstory and him and Carlos are amazing, character-wise.

I also loved the mysteriousness of the town and the ironic horror that accompanied the different story arcs, like the whole Kevin/doubles/Strex debacle, and the heart wrenching tiny town under the bowling alley.

But ever since the creators started touring and creating NV book, I feel like they rely too much on *punchlines* about *how kooky the town is* instead of the vibe of subtle strangeness it used to give off, if that makes sense. Like they bring in too many characters just because lol they're weird, instead of focusing and driving the plot somewhere. Maybe it's because of the podcast format, but honestly I think that they just kind of stopped caring as much.
Also I think they told too much about Nightvale's inhabitants, I prefer a mystery (which is probably why I'm on IDB haha)

I recommend Kakos Industries if you like Nightvale but got burned out, Its the same amount of weird, but way way kinkier and has more of a plot.

Disscuss this with me I love talking about NIghtvale
lilMango
morning quiff

Jesp wrote:Here's my podcast list. I'm always looking for more recommendations, too.

{there's a bunch of images under the spoiler, mobile users}
Farrah Abraham?? Really, Jesp??
But I love J&J, and Shane is entertaining too.
Phil Lester wrote:"I'll rub myself in a mango before I eat a mango."
"Make no judgements where you have no compassion." -Anne McCaffrey