LGBT Film, TV Show, and Book Recs

jesp
why bother

I’m looking for LGBT film/tv show recommendations and hope the good people of IDB can provide. Despite being a gay dude my whole life I’ve never really watched media focusing on queer characters and would like to remedy that.

I’ve watched a few films recently and enjoyed most of them, but I think it is best that I don’t say which straight off so that any recs people make aren’t clouded by my tastes.

Any type of film/tv show is welcome - coming of age, bullying themes, older characters, comedies, dramas, recent films, old films, not English language, anything. If anyone has any good books to recommend, I’d love to hear about them too!
kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

Alright! Sense you didn't give any examples I'm going to list things you probably already have seen, but maybe someone else hasn't.

I'm gonna start off with a swedish classic: Fucking Åmål (Show me love). About growing up in a small town, popularity and figuring out your sexuality.

Movies most people have heard of but I'll mention them anyway:
Carol
Boy erased
The Danish girl
Brokeback mountain
Moonlight
Perks of being a wallflower
San Junipero (Black mirror)
A single man
Alex Strangelove

TV-shows (also contains some obvious ones):
The L-word
Dear white people
Orange is the new black
Skins
Skam
Elite
One day at a time

Books:
The man who loved Yngve by Tore Renberg is a norwegian book (and also a movie, it's on youtube but i haven't seen it) about a boy in the 80's who falls in love with another boy, without really realizing it.
Radio Silence by Alice Oseman is very queer, very cute and very much about fandoms (Phil even has a cameo in it).

I'll throw in a few short films for good measure:
In a heartbeat
Billy Star
Strangers in a bed
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Movies:
Shelter
Beautiful Thing
Latter Days
But I'm a Cheerleader
Edge of Seventeen (the one from the 90s, not the one from a couple years ago)

TV:
Looking
Torchwood
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

I really enjoyed the Korean film The Handmaiden, which is on Netflix. It's a historical psychological thriller set in Korea under the Japanese occupation in the 1930s and features a forbidden F/F romance between a noble lady and her maid.

I know I've seen The Man Who Loved Yngve, which @kavat mentioned, but that was so long ago I don't actually remember if I liked it. :lol:
citizen_erased
truth bomb

I don't know that many movies or tv-shows off the top of my head, BUT, I do know books, and books are often turned into movies/tv shows anyway so here goes (if I know there's a movie I have put it in the brackets):

-The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller (gay, historical/Ancient Greece, the rights for a tv show have been sold afaik but no other updates as of yet that I know of)
-Girls of Paper and Fire by Natasha Ngan (lesbian, fantasy)
-Check, Please by Ngozi Ukazu (an online comic you can also buy in paperback now)(gay, contemporary/sports)
-both The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue and it's sequel (kinda), The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy by Mackenzi Lee(gay, asexual, lesbian, look man these books have it all. And pirates! They're both historical)
-Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst (lesbian, fantasy)
-Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson (lesbian, autobiographical-ish, there's a tv mini series apparently?)
-Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto (transgender, Japanese)
-A Place Called Winter by Patrick Gale (gay, historical/Canada)
-Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda / Love, Simon, by Becky Albertalli (gay, contemporary/high school, also a movie)
-any Sarah Waters book ever, they're all lesbian and erotic. Tipping the Velvet is a movie, and the Korean movie the Handmaiden is also based on a Sarah Waters book
-Days Without End by Sebastian Barry (gay, historical/United States)
-Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz(gay, contemporary/latin-american teens, there's rumours about a movie floating around but nothing confirmed just yet)
-The Miseducation of Cameron Post, by Emily M. Danforth (lesbian, 90's, conversion camps, also a movie)
-Everything Leads to You by Nina Lacour (lesbian, contemporary)
-Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley (lesbian, historical/60's segregated US, interracial)
-Maurice by E.M. Forster (gay, a classic, there's a movie with Hugh Grant!)
-Rick Riordan also has a LOT of queer characters in his books. I especially like the Trials of Apollo series, because Apollo, the former Greek god and current bisexual teen disaster, is really hilarious.

I do know more books but these are all ones I have both read and actually liked to some extent. I especially highly recommend The Song of Achilles, A Place Called Winter, and both of the Mackenzi Lee books (the Montague Siblings books). But I really like historical fiction, so :shrug:

Some other movies/series that are either about lgbt characters or have important lgbt characters/storylines:
-The Magicians (tv series)
-The Ten Year Plan (movie. It's not a good movie per se, but it's just a cheesy romcom that's also gay.)
-Star Trek: Discovery (only season 1 so far)
-Queer Eye (the new Netflix series. It's not fiction, but it's so wholesome and good, I love it)
-Las Chicas del Cable (Spanish tv series)
-Wilde (movie, about Oscar Wilde, with Stephen Fry and Jude Law)
Afunnyworld
sofa crease

I'll add a few more
TV Shows:
-Shitt's creek
-Degrassi
-Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Movies:
-Handsome Devil
-4th Man Out
-Being 17
Books:
-Release by Patrick Ness
-Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green & David Levithan
-One man guy by Michael Barakiva
-The five stages of Andrew Brawley by Shaun David Hutchison
-You know me well : a novel by Nina LaCour
glitterintheair
phillluminati

A Tv Show that is criminally underrated is Broad City.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
fancybum
senpai

Please Like Me - It's an Aus show about a guy whose girlfriend breaks up with him because she thinks he's gay (and, surprise, he is) and the show is about him figuring that out and trying to deal with his mentally ill mother. He's emotionally awkward and repressed and it's pretty great and offbeat. It should be on Netflix.

The Birdcage - a comedy with Nathan Lane and Robin Williams as a couple whose son is getting married to Calista Flockhart who comes from a very conservative family and hijinks ensue.

Six Feet Under - main gay character portrayed by Michael C Hall and just a great show overall

Killing Eve.

Hannibal.

and idk, there's a lesbian couple in Wynonna Earp (it's just a fun show lol)
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Two of my favorite movies of all time:

My Beautiful Laundrette--set in Thatcherite Britain and about two young men who knew each other as kids and are different in every way--except for the way in which they are the same.

The Crying Game--the background to this one is British soldiers in Northern Ireland and the IRA, and the story is about the love object of one of them.

Also:

Boys Don't Cry--based on a true (and rather grim) story about a young transgender man in the United States.

On a lighter note:

Tales of the City--I think there's a total of three TV miniseries that I'm sure can be found somewhere; the City is San Francisco, and the time period is from the 70s through the 80s, and the Tales follow lots of characters of various genders and orientations.

The books it's based on are even better; there are nine of them and they extend the story into this century. The writing is generally light and humorous (it started as a newspaper serial), but sometimes it is very moving (especially when dealing with, for example, the beginnings of the AIDS epidemic, but also, bits set, perhaps more surprisingly, in a stately house in England or on a Greek island).
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
citizen_erased
truth bomb

wait, did we all just forget about Pride? I watched it last year, it's beautiful.

Also, Rowan Ellis just uploaded a video about LGBT movies:

Edit: I just saw someone on twitter talk about Black Sails (tv-show), which has a bunch of queer characters.

ok I promise I'm done, sorry for spamming.
jesp
why bother

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, looks like I'm set for the next few months with things to watch and read.

The film that made me want to watch more lgbt stuff was Get Real. The film is set in a UK secondary school {ages 11-16 or so}, around the year 2000, and deals with a student coming out/being outed. It was extremely relatable since I was outed at 14 in a UK all-boys secondary school in the early-mid 2000s. Relatable or not, however, it wasn't very good.

Thanks again for the suggestions, people!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Sort of related to the topic - I'm excited to sit down later and go through the replies to this tweet:
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

wow it's this guy back again

brooklyn nine-nine is one of my favourite shows lately with lgbt characters! not that many of the episodes really focus on it but the ones that do do it really well imo. captain holt's relationship is one of the most wholesome relationships on tv right now so i'm glad a mlm relationship gets coverage like that. rosa's also a great bisexual character, it's just generally a good example of a show that isn't about lgbt issues but also doesn't ignore them because "gay people don't need to mention they're gay all the time!!". it drops in holt's husband and a pride flag on his desk and addresses homophobia at times so it's just a nice to see a case of normalising lgbt relationships well

to wong foo is up there as an iconic gay piece of media, complete with its own 90s rupaul cameo like but i'm a cheerleader.
priscilla, queen of the desert is another iconic film, as is kinky boots.
rent is the guiltiest of all guilty pleasures, because it is awful bullshit but also so darn fun - party monster is a good guilty pleasure too. the rocky horror picture show is an obvious one, but i may as well add another musical to the list.
john waters' films are compulsory viewings imo, i love female trouble but hairspray is probably the most accessible and polished.
my list is very low on wlw suggestions, but the children's hour is a beautiful but sad film from all the way back in 1961, so it is not as blatant and obvious as it could've been.

documentaries!! paris is burning is incredibly important of course. common threads: stories from the quilt and how to survive a plague are two excellent documentaries on the aids epidemic, but of course are harrowing watches that will make you angry and upset. the last important documentary that's coming to mind is i am divine, a great look at divine and john waters

for anime and manga, haruka and michiru's relationship in sailor moon is so iconic, including the fact that dubs made them cousins instead of a canon lesbian couple. work by naoko takeuchi (sailor moon creator) and her husband yoshihiro togashi (yuyu hakusho, hunter x hunter) are frequently great for representation. the real ally couple! the clamp writers also supply a lot of great lgbt characters, specifically touya and yukito in cardcaptor sakura. i'll add revolutionary girl utena to this list too. magical girl manga/anime belongs to the lgbt community and i will fight every straight man who complains about the evil sjw queers getting in his cartoons!!
ouran high school host club was a big introduction to gender nonconforming identities to me and is far from perfect in terms of its representation but has an openly bisexual father, breaking down of gender identities, just a lot of fun. it plays with gay fanservice expectations, and does it all with a wink and a nod that make things like calling characters the "homo-homo side characters" feel like you're still not on the receiving end of the joke and can join in
ai yazawa is another mangaka who deserves a special mention. paradise kiss has george, my bisexual hero. she also created nana, which everyone knows is a better read if you read it as nana and hachi being a couple instead of just besties who kiss now and then
the rose of versailles is an important foundation for lgbt in manga but is like the children's hour in the way that it's very downplayed given the time it came out

okay that's all i've got for now :prideheart:
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
chumchum
not a first-time poster

Short films:
Pretty Boy
Spark
A Step
Shows:
Friends from College
Movies:
3 Generations
Books:
Puddin' - Julie Murphy
We Are Okay - Nina Lacour
Everything Leads to You - Nina Lacour
Love in the Time of Global Warming - Francesca Lia Block
Anything Could Happen - Nina Lacour
Hold Still {TG - suicide}-Nina Lacour
Winston
flower crown

SOOO many of these are great films and shows!! I am so glad to see some oldies (the children's hour, holy crap I thought I was the only person under 50 to know that movie. I got that movie for a Christmas present in high school after seeing it in middle school and was my first serious queer film) It is not a happy film and is based on a real story, but it is good for film history type nerds. (Audrey Hepburn and Shirley MacLaine) :heart:

I don't think I have any movies or shows to add unless Modern Family, which I know is pretty popular, was mentioned and I missed it.

I do have a crap ton of books and authors. Please be warned I really love nice/ happy/smutty/funny/ guaranteed happy ending books because I like my reading light and easy to consume. (real life is sad enough I don't want to read it too)

Authors:

Lucy Lennox (very funny has 4 series out right now, I think, and ALL are great, but if you choose to dip your toe into her pool, start with the Made Marion series. Each book can be a read alone, I actually started on the second one since I wasn't aware it was a series at first. I do find it more enjoyable to read them in order though since you get to know the characters. She has a really new series she started writing with her irl sister and I haven't tried it yet but I have faith.)

Jay Northcote (Trans author who writes some of the nicest least angsty queer fic I have come across. He is just so pleasant Highly recommend the Housemates series. He does some fic for charity which I always like to support. He also has a fun insta account -cats- and twitter.)

Eli Easton (sometimes a little more angsty but still always a happy ending from what I have read so far.)

Sloane Kennedy (beautiful books, but these are darker than the others. They always end happily too but there is less humor and more angst. Love them but I certainly have to be in a certain mindset to enjoy them. She and Lucy have a collab series which is lovely but much darker than Lucy's norm.)

Riley Hart and Devon McCormack (I have read a couple books with these two fine authors by themselves, however, my fave books from both of them are the books they collab on. The Metropolis series is fun and sexy.)

Roan Parrish (Wrote a great series it is weep inducing however it is wonderfully written but does, once again, end happily)

Erik Schubach (my only F/F series author, sorry I just can't find any that I really like. Retold fairy tales, and starts with Little red riding hood and the wolf. "Red Hood-The Hunt". He has a quite a few series/books but I only read that series because I love a retold fairy tale so I had to. There is no smut, it is just implied.)

Books:

"Him" By Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy (I didn't think I would like it but it kept ending up in my recommended books so I caved. And boy oh boy am I glad I did. I have probably read the book 3-4 times. It is about hockey players, something I really could care less about but there ya go.

"Us" the sequel to "Him". Also great, more angsty, but still one of my faves.

"The Quarterback" By Mackenzie Blair. Also, one that good reads and audible would not STOP recommending to me. Turns out it was very entertaining.

"Blame it on the Mistletoe" By Eli Easton. First of all, I am a sucker for fun Christmas books, and this one is short and sweet. I love the characters. Just cute and stand alone.

"The Ghost Slept Over" By Marshall Thornton, funny. Not much character development nor is the relationship but it is pretty funny.

"Openly straight" and "Honestly Ben" By Bill Konigsberg. Just great coming of age, short series. Very light smut, kind of. Funny and quirky but there is some angst. Highly recommend.

"Borrowing Blue" By Lucy Lennox. The first of the Made Marion series and I have read it a ton of times, and listen to it to fall asleep when my brain will not stop at night (same as Him tbh, and my next rec.).

“Summer Heat” Jay Northcote, one of his many stand-alone books. Fun and sexy and so pleasant, friends to lovers.

I have more but I NEED to go to bed so Imma post this the way it is. I hope others like this type of rom-com light reads. Most have smut, but not all. All do have humor though because that is my fave. :6-year-old dan:

I love this thread! I just wish there were more queer rom-com movies and shows. I have high hopes that there will eventually be good funny happy queer movies. My fingers are forever crossed for the day. -Not going to lie, I wish the Made Marion series or the Metropolis Series would be turned into a Movie series or TV series.- :tu:
actions speak louder than words
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

I love all things cheesy so, to that end, I have two recommendations.

Film
Love, Simon - A mainstream, American teen rom com about two guys falling for each other in high school. This film is just sweet and lovely (and has an awesome soundtrack)

Graphic Novel
Check, Please! - This ongoing series began online and recently became a physical book you can buy (I have a copy). It's about a team of lovable college hockey players, and well, sparks fly between two of them. Here's the link - http://checkpleasecomic.com/
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
kavat
pastel persona

I have to recommend another short film just because it made me cry over two grumpy old men in love: Curmudgeons directed by Danny DeVito.
susan2
rainbow nerd

I went to see Benjamin, Simon Amstell's movie with Colin Morgan, a few weeks ago and recommend it.

It's an awkward romantic comedy (that's gay and vegan) about a filmmaker who struggles with love and intimacy
- much of it is autobiographical.
fancybum
senpai

susan2 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:03 pm I went to see Benjamin, Simon Amstell's movie with Colin Morgan, a few weeks ago and recommend it.

It's an awkward romantic comedy (that's gay and vegan) about a filmmaker who struggles with love and intimacy
- much of it is autobiographical.
Aw this just reminded me of his show Grandma’s House which I also recommend. I think it’s on YT so I know what I’m doing tonight since it’s been so long since I’ve seen it. It was awkward and hilarious and I remember his family being clueless but well-meaning about his vegetarianism in it in a way that was Very Real and reminded me of my great aunt lol.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
jesp
why bother

Thanks again everyone for the great recommendations. I've watched a few so far and have enjoyed them all.

When I posted this thread I was looking for things to watch while I'm doing something else and not able to read, but since people have kindly recommended books I've edited the title to include books, as well.
eevee
emo goose

I've seen 3 gay movies: blue is the warmest color, brokeback mountain, and Keep The Lights On.

Keep The Lights On is a REALLy good movie. I've seen it many times. It follows a gay couple through many (10ish?) years, and what happens in their lives throughout that time. One of them becomes an addict and it explores the straight that has on their relationship as well. it's shot in a very raw, real style which really appeals to me. no dramatic music etc, it just shows you how it is.

i realllllly need to watch it again but it's really good and i didn't see it mentioned here yet!!
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
sonicgreen
woodland creature

I recently read the memoir Mama’s Boy by Dustin Lance Black (LGBT activist, screenwriter, married to Tom Daley) and I highly recommend it if you’re looking for a strong story about family. Its the most empathetic thing I’ve ever read, beautifully written, and inspiring.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

As a lover of period dramas, I very much enjoyed the BBC/HBO series Gentleman Jack. It is based on the diaries of Anne Lister, a 19th-century landowner from Yorkshire, who had several relationships with other women during her lifetime. It even has a happy ending! :rainbowtears:
one(1)phillie
phillion/danosaur <//3

Wow I love these recs
Personally I'm very shallow and watch mostly the popular ones.
I'm surprised these haven't been listed. Maybe because they're all YA? Idk fam
-Shadowhunters (books, show, movie if you squint): fantasty, modern day New York. Yes, its about a girl who discovers she has supernatural powers and YA ensues but it has a canonical gay couple who is the centre of attention most of the time since the main couple has a lot of problems. - warning cringey YA acting. But it's how the entire relationship got to be laid out across 3 season with ups and downs (but mostly ups) that made it so endearing to me.
-The thing about Harry (movie): think of the most baisic Romcom, its just that but gay. Questionable storyline. Sweet? It was ok and pretty funny
-Red white and royal blue (novel): *hits blunt* what if... the son of the president of the United states (not Donald junior just the mephorical son of the president in an alternate reality where the president is a Democat and a woman) got into a enemies to lovers situation with a prince of England.
-We are the Ants (book): so this gay I meant guy but same thing I guess has to choose whether or not to push a button to save the world and he gets a few (...3? I forgot) months to decide but he hates life and all that jazz. It's a mood sometimes.
All happy endings I refuse to watch/read anything sad to the point where I have to read the ending first.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

From main thread:
Megancita75 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:17 am I was thinking recently about LGBTQ films that I've loved watching, and that I might re-watch during this era of staying at home more. I thought I'd share my list of recommended movies (with the caveat that I tend to like a certain type of film: slow, indie, international. I do wish there were more films out there in general that weren't coming out stories -- I think I've reached saturation on that -- but a fair number of these are that story. Anyway, I'd love other recommendations if anyone has some!

Aimee & Jaguar
A Fantastic Woman
A Date for Mad Mary
Beach Rats
Beginners
Bound
Boys Don't Cry
The Cakemaker
Call Me By Your Name
Desert Hearts
Disobedience
Eastsiders
Eyes Wide Open
Free Fall
God’s Own Country
Heartland
Heavenly Creatures
Henry Gamble’s Birthday Party
High Art
In the Grayscale
Love Simon
Moonlight
Mosquita and Mari
Paris 05:59
Pit Stop
Plan B
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Pride
Shelter
Tangerine
Tomboy
Undertow
Weekend
Megancita75 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:58 am Gonna add one more since the Edit window closed:

Fingersmith (excellent book, excellent miniseries adaptation)
dontpanic wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:31 am edit: ooh, if we're talking about heartbreaking films with lgbt+ ppl there's always Lilting(2014)
bluecaterpillar wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:20 am
and if we're talking lgbt films i recommend brokeback mountain if you want to cry and 'but i'm a cheerleader' for something more light-hearted.
firsttimeposter wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:34 pm Joining in with the lgbtq+ films, one that I’ve recently started loving (but isn’t quite a queer film) is billy elliot. It’s very queer coded and has some lovely, very different lgbtq+ scenes and a main character who, if not queer, is definitely free of prejudice and an ally. It’s an AMAZING film (haven’t seen the musical), and is soo sweet with its representation. Though it is quite old and a bit rough around the edges.
It’s very straight forward and Very northern which is 🙌.
Phanshy wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:37 pm Since I personally don't want to go round in circles when we all have pretty fixed opinions on the Dan situation I'll talk about something else that's a huge love of mine, a lot of my favourites have been listed but here's a few others. I've put some mild spolers, trigger warnings and opinions in brackets.
From beging to end - Brazilian film (includes a consensual incestuous relationship)4/5
Lillies - Canadian film (Told a lot through a play/flashback in a prison, deals with self acceptance jealousy, lies and deniel) 4/5
Were the world mine - American musical version of midsummer night's dream. (Turning homophobes gay for a brief period) 4/5
Eyewitness - Norwegian 4 part crime series (I'm more in to the romance than the crime story but there is some shocking violence) 5/5
Children of god - Bahamian film ( deals a lot with how being ashamed of your sexuality manifests in different people, religion and violence) 4/5
Proteus - South African film set on Robben island (deals with a interracial prison relationship in the 18th century, deals with a lot of issues around race and sexuality at that time as well as corporal and capital punishment)5/5
Hawaii - Argentinean film (From the Director/writer of Plan B mentioned in the first post childhood friends meeting as adults) 5/5
The way he looks - Brazilian film (rare lgbtq+ film depicting a main character with a disability he's blind.) 4/5
Hidden away - Spanish film (love story between a Spanish teen and a refugee) 4/5
1 last chance at paradise - British film (about being in lockdown with your ex as the world is ending but in a low key way. Kinda fitting for now) 4/5
North sea texas - Belgian film (coming of age discovery of sexuality type of film) 4/5
Boys - Dutch film ( Teen first love coming of age) 5/5
Harvest - German film ( Low key realistic film about falling for someone)4/5
War boys - American film (kind of a Trashy film tbh but it's worth all of the nonsense for David sewing George's T-shirt and removing cactus spikes from a sensitive area (it's available on YouTube) 3.5/5
Get real - British film (great 90's film about s secret relationship between two boys in high school it has a really great coming out speech about the damage caused by the assumption of heterosexuality) 5/5
Los jornaleros - Mexican American film (about the world of undocumented migrants in the US one of whom is gay but very much closeted it's a bit soapy but a subject not often explored in lgbtq+ films) 3.5/5
Just a question of love - French film (relationship between someone closeted and someone out and the toll it takes, contains someone being outed to their parents) 5/5
No regret - South Korean film (quite over the top in parts but well worth a watch does include prostitution, kidnapping and self harm) 4/5
Grande ecole - French film ( focuses on the class and racial division in france as well as coming to terms with your sexuality) 4/5
Private romeo - American film (A Romeo and Juliet reading in a all boys military but it continues outside of the classroom) 4/5
Romeos - German film (somewhat still a rare depiction of a young gay trans man played by a trans actor) 5/5
Morgan - American film (another rare depiction of a gay character with a disability, the main character is newly in a wheelchair it's much more a film about him accepting that than his sexuality but the love story element of the film is great and realistic) 4/5
The falls - American film trilogy (explores the world of Mormon missionaries and how the two guys deal differently with their churches ad families discovery of their relationship.) 4/5
Boys on film - series of short films from around the world I'd highly recommend especially the earlier ones [Hide=]( some do have very difficult/controversial themes)(4/5)
Out in the dark - Israeli Palestinian film (depicting a cross border relationship does have violent scenes) 5/5
Because of a Boy (You'll get Over It) - French film (teen coming to terms with your sexuality) 4/5
Beautiful Thing British film ( Another great 90's film typical coming of age type does also touch on family violence) 4/5
Sorry for the long post I couldn't get hide to work for spoilers.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."