Kpop Thread

citizen_erased
truth bomb

Shinee's back with a new album! I won't deny it's still weird and upsetting to see and hear 4 members instead of 5, and I really hope they're okay, but I'm also happy that they're continuing. Weirdly enough, this is the first time I'm actually (lowkey) following a shinee comeback. Lots of emotions all over the place.

In semi-related news, I saw a video of Jonghun and Taemin's performance of Internet War for the first time the other day and uuuhhh what in the actual fuck? I LOVE it, even if I was speechless for a bit, but also: what else have I been missing out on these last years??? Man I still have so much catching up to do.
papierklemmen
flower crown

Love love love SHINee's new release. I haven't yet listened to the whole mini but the title track is a bop, I know some people find it boring (and also I guess it samples someone else's song? Never heard so Idc) but I love house and I love that it has a semi melancholic and semi hopeful vibe. I also know some people thought it's too early but let's be real they couldn't just skip their 10th anniversary and also they'll be going to the army one by one soon so it was the right time. I love it. I love them, I love the mv, it's very aesthetic, I love the choreo. My kings <3 Everyone go watch their mv!

Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I didn't like Good Evening, but regardless I still have so much respect for them. To be able to comeback and promote as SHINee, after such a relatively short amount of time, can't be easy for them. I hope they're okay and I hope they'll be successful.

Anyone gonna watch Produce 48? Produce 101 Season 2 broke me last year, and I was intending on skipping this (also because I have no interest in the AKB48 franchise) but then Pledis had to be Pledis by sending Kaeun. That's right, After School's Kaeun. The maknae that they added in 2012 and then did nothing with after First Love in 2013. I can't not support one of my favorite members from my ult group. Kaeun deserves better than Pledis (who still refuse to disband AS and OC despite Lizzy leaving) and I hope she gets the success and recognition she deserves. And I hope the audience doesn't fail me like last year... :sideeye:

I'm gonna leave with some girl groups recs:
- After having a bit of a flop year in 2017, GFriend proved that they're not over yet. It took a few listens to really capture me, but Time For The Moon Night is one of their best songs yet. It honors the sound and concept that got them famous, but evolved into a more mature seasons that might be more natural than last year's Fingertip.
- (G)I-DLE is Cube's new girl group and they're already surprisingly popular. And I gotta admit that LATATA is an earwormy bop. I'm sad that CLC is basically a lost cause now though.
- My wiccan princesses of Dreamcatcher released You And I and it's amazing. It seems like they're slowly but steadily gaining more fans as well, which couldn't make me happier.
- The girl group that was formed out of failed idol reboot survival show The Unit debuted as UNI.T with No More. It sounds quite a bit like Why So Lonely by Wonder Girls, so it was an automatic like from me.
- With two members currently out of rotation, Pristin has debuted a subunit with all the more popular members. Pristin V has a mature girl crush concept and while I expected a little more, Get It is still a nice listen that grows on you.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

i haven't properly listened to akb48 in years and only check in when there's a new single or if a member does something particularly interesting (they don't) and i haven't watch any season of produce 101 before but i'm considering produce 48 just to see what's going to happen. i have no idea how the language barrier is going to work and i used to find a lot of older akb48 members hilarious on japanese shows so i want to see what happens. it'll be a mess anyway because it's a 48 related project and that's messy by default. the style of idol that 48 groups is not the same as in kpop and the incoming wave of kpop only fans thinking all jpop is akb48 fighting with jpop fans could be fun to watch before it inevitably gets too messy
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

jaej wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:01 pm i haven't properly listened to akb48 in years and only check in when there's a new single or if a member does something particularly interesting (they don't) and i haven't watch any season of produce 101 before but i'm considering produce 48 just to see what's going to happen. i have no idea how the language barrier is going to work and i used to find a lot of older akb48 members hilarious on japanese shows so i want to see what happens. it'll be a mess anyway because it's a 48 related project and that's messy by default. the style of idol that 48 groups is not the same as in kpop and the incoming wave of kpop only fans thinking all jpop is akb48 fighting with jpop fans could be fun to watch before it inevitably gets too messy
Aside from the 'kpop idols are more talented than jpop idols' wank there's also the obvious historical political tension between Japan and South Korea that will make this a mess. AKB has already been accused of being an imperialist right wing idol group who wave rising sun flags around, with some knetz calling for a boycott. I'm not sure how popular this season will be. I doubt it'll flop, but it'll be controversial and I do think the franchise peaked with Season 2.

I'm curious about the language barrier as well. In the previous seasons the whole thing was that at some point you'd start getting invested in the friends of your faves too, making elimination episodes so much worse. But now I feel like half of the contestants won't interact with the other half simply because they can't understand each other? Miyawaki Sakura and Lee Kaeun did their What's In The Box game together, and Sakura was very confused as to what Kaeun was answering. Because Kaeun is actually fluent in Japanese they converse in Japanese at the very end and it's all good, but I think she's the only Korean contestant who can do that. idk I didn't watch any others lol. I did notice that Sakura was more animated in her reactions compared to Kaeun. That might be just their pairing or just Kaeun being severely out of practice compared to Sakura, but I do think AKB groups have more of a focus on personality and variety sense than Korean trainees in general. And half of the road to success in a Produce show is definitely having a standout personality.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
jaej
moon room

Catallena wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:09 am
I'm curious about the language barrier as well. In the previous seasons the whole thing was that at some point you'd start getting invested in the friends of your faves too, making elimination episodes so much worse. But now I feel like half of the contestants won't interact with the other half simply because they can't understand each other? Miyawaki Sakura and Lee Kaeun did their What's In The Box game together, and Sakura was very confused as to what Kaeun was answering. Because Kaeun is actually fluent in Japanese they converse in Japanese at the very end and it's all good, but I think she's the only Korean contestant who can do that. idk I didn't watch any others lol. I did notice that Sakura was more animated in her reactions compared to Kaeun. That might be just their pairing or just Kaeun being severely out of practice compared to Sakura, but I do think AKB groups have more of a focus on personality and variety sense than Korean trainees in general. And half of the road to success in a Produce show is definitely having a standout personality.
the main benefit that akb members are going to have over korean trainees/idols is definitely that they're used to making people like them and vote for them, because they won't rank high in elections without it. the variety work they do has more room for the members to be weird/funny i guess? they have more gimmicks because that's an easy way to get your name out and be memorable but if it comes across as too exaggerated they might just seem annoying to anyone that isn't an akb wota.

i had a look through the profiles to see if there's many notable trainees this time so i'm just going to list things that seem interesting
- yoon eunbin (cnc) was born in 2004. i remember the first time i found an idol my own age and now it's rare for more than a couple in a group to be older than me, they're all younger and i feel unaccomplished. rip me i feel kpop elderly
- park haeyoon (fnc) has been a trainee for nearly 4 years and speaks japanese, could either be successful or tragic
- i'm sure jinny park was an ex yg trainee but i don't think she was ever one promoted so we'll see if it was because there wasn't much to promote or just yg favouritism for the blackpink lineup
- park seoyoung may benefit from being the only blonde member and standing out easily
-there are literally like 4 korean trainees who weigh over about 52kg which is TERRIFYING because some are tallish but also kpop profiles lie about heights and weights all the time so it could just be agencies thinking a lower weight will look more impressive on a profile
- miyazaki miho speaks korean, it seems like there's about 5 overall who speak the other language?
- i honestly don't recognise any of them except sakura and jurina but idk if that's a reflection on the members or on me
- it's weird to see akb girls in a korean makeup style even if it's not far from current makeup trends in japan
- i didn't pay much attention to the heights but i know it's preferred generally for akb members to be short. i've heard of people not getting in because they're too tall and seen comments about tall idols being gross, so idk if it'll be like that snsd photo where akb look tiny next to them
2019 = produce johnny's? it'll be like going back to 2004 and every boy will have 2004 kpop hair
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

jaej wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:59 pm
the main benefit that akb members are going to have over korean trainees/idols is definitely that they're used to making people like them and vote for them, because they won't rank high in elections without it. the variety work they do has more room for the members to be weird/funny i guess? they have more gimmicks because that's an easy way to get your name out and be memorable but if it comes across as too exaggerated they might just seem annoying to anyone that isn't an akb wota.

i had a look through the profiles to see if there's many notable trainees this time so i'm just going to list things that seem interesting
- yoon eunbin (cnc) was born in 2004. i remember the first time i found an idol my own age and now it's rare for more than a couple in a group to be older than me, they're all younger and i feel unaccomplished. rip me i feel kpop elderly
- park haeyoon (fnc) has been a trainee for nearly 4 years and speaks japanese, could either be successful or tragic
- i'm sure jinny park was an ex yg trainee but i don't think she was ever one promoted so we'll see if it was because there wasn't much to promote or just yg favouritism for the blackpink lineup
- park seoyoung may benefit from being the only blonde member and standing out easily
-there are literally like 4 korean trainees who weigh over about 52kg which is TERRIFYING because some are tallish but also kpop profiles lie about heights and weights all the time so it could just be agencies thinking a lower weight will look more impressive on a profile
- miyazaki miho speaks korean, it seems like there's about 5 overall who speak the other language?
- i honestly don't recognise any of them except sakura and jurina but idk if that's a reflection on the members or on me
- it's weird to see akb girls in a korean makeup style even if it's not far from current makeup trends in japan
- i didn't pay much attention to the heights but i know it's preferred generally for akb members to be short. i've heard of people not getting in because they're too tall and seen comments about tall idols being gross, so idk if it'll be like that snsd photo where akb look tiny next to them
2019 = produce johnny's? it'll be like going back to 2004 and every boy will have 2004 kpop hair
I think Park Haeyoon might be an unannounced member of FNC's new girl group and is there to get some hype? FNC started announcing members last year but suddenly it stopped and we haven't heard anything since. People suspect that they'll debut this year. Seems like a risky move though, the contract for the final Produce 48 group is supposed to last 2,5 years. But maybe this time the contracts will be more like I.O.I.'s instead of the complete lock down that was put on Wanna One.

I'm a little interested in these girls (that aren't Kaeun) :
- Heo Yunjin (Pledis) - Pledis hasn't shown off their trainees in music videos since SVT's Mansae so nobody knows who their trainees are, which made her a complete surprise. Who knows what they'll do with her if she gets popular. Stick her in Pristin? Revive After School?
- Jang Gyuri (Stone Music Entertainment and a winner of Idol School which formed fromis_9) - I'm not sure why she's here tbh? Their debut didn't do that bad, considering Idol School was never that popular compared to the Produce series. The group continues without her for now, I hope missing a member won't hurt them or something.
- Han Chowon (Cube) - I'm guessing this girl was left out of (G)I-DLE for being a bit too young for their concept, but what on earth are they gonna do with her if she gets popular? It's not like they're gonna debut a new girl group anytime soon. Maybe she's a crazy good vocalist who can go solo or something.
- Ko Yoojin (Blockberry) - It must really hurt when your company takes like two years to debut 12 members into LOONA, yet you didn't get in. I'm curious to see what she lacks, which I know sounds mean but seriously.

From the AKB ladies I am for now only keeping an eye on Sakura and Jurina, the only ones whose names I recognized a bit.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
jaej
moon room

Catallena wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:03 pm

I think Park Haeyoon might be an unannounced member of FNC's new girl group and is there to get some hype? FNC started announcing members last year but suddenly it stopped and we haven't heard anything since. People suspect that they'll debut this year. Seems like a risky move though, the contract for the final Produce 48 group is supposed to last 2,5 years. But maybe this time the contracts will be more like I.O.I.'s instead of the complete lock down that was put on Wanna One.

- Heo Yunjin (Pledis) - Pledis hasn't shown off their trainees in music videos since SVT's Mansae so nobody knows who their trainees are, which made her a complete surprise. Who knows what they'll do with her if she gets popular. Stick her in Pristin? Revive After School?
- Jang Gyuri (Stone Music Entertainment and a winner of Idol School which formed fromis_9) - I'm not sure why she's here tbh? Their debut didn't do that bad, considering Idol School was never that popular compared to the Produce series. The group continues without her for now, I hope missing a member won't hurt them or something.
- Han Chowon (Cube) - I'm guessing this girl was left out of (G)I-DLE for being a bit too young for their concept, but what on earth are they gonna do with her if she gets popular? It's not like they're gonna debut a new girl group anytime soon. Maybe she's a crazy good vocalist who can go solo or something.
- Ko Yoojin (Blockberry) - It must really hurt when your company takes like two years to debut 12 members into LOONA, yet you didn't get in. I'm curious to see what she lacks, which I know sounds mean but seriously.

From the AKB ladies I am for now only keeping an eye on Sakura and Jurina, the only ones whose names I recognized a bit.
i'm still surprised pledis never did an after school 2.0 where they kept about 2 or 3 old members and added a few new ones all at once? by about 2016 i assumed that's what was going to happen and it would just be like the graduation thing done all at once, but i suppose they knew that reviving a group with a partially new lineup can be hit or miss and that they could ditch the old members and just focus on younger trainees. putting kaeun in makes me suspicious though, they must be planning something if they're trying to make her popular, right?

i think the contract must be different this year because idk if akb can afford to lose sakura and jurina. they don't have enough big names left to be able to lose one of the main rising stars and one of the longest standing members, and it was kind of expected that both would only do about another 2-3 years in 48 groups before graduating. there aren't really new girls who live up to acchan/mayuyu/kojiharu/mariko/takamina/tomomi era popularity and they haven't had a hit song with the general public for years now

with loona, something about them weirds me out a bit and i always get this weird paranoid suspicion that they're going to have a big scandal in the next year or so. i know a couple of the girls were added within weeks of being trainees when there were dozens of other potential members, but there's been fast additions to groups before, that's not really drama. idk, i just have a sixth sense for exciting gossip and i want to know if i'm right
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

jaej wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:51 pm
Catallena wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:03 pm

i'm still surprised pledis never did an after school 2.0 where they kept about 2 or 3 old members and added a few new ones all at once? by about 2016 i assumed that's what was going to happen and it would just be like the graduation thing done all at once, but i suppose they knew that reviving a group with a partially new lineup can be hit or miss and that they could ditch the old members and just focus on younger trainees. putting kaeun in makes me suspicious though, they must be planning something if they're trying to make her popular, right?

i think the contract must be different this year because idk if akb can afford to lose sakura and jurina. they don't have enough big names left to be able to lose one of the main rising stars and one of the longest standing members, and it was kind of expected that both would only do about another 2-3 years in 48 groups before graduating. there aren't really new girls who live up to acchan/mayuyu/kojiharu/mariko/takamina/tomomi era popularity and they haven't had a hit song with the general public for years now

with loona, something about them weirds me out a bit and i always get this weird paranoid suspicion that they're going to have a big scandal in the next year or so. i know a couple of the girls were added within weeks of being trainees when there were dozens of other potential members, but there's been fast additions to groups before, that's not really drama. idk, i just have a sixth sense for exciting gossip and i want to know if i'm right
There's a theory :illuminati:

Ex-Hello Venus member Yoonjo started spending time at Pledis again when she entered The Unit. Ex-Produce 101 and Idol School contestant Lee Haein was spotted sitting with Yoonjo, Kaeun, JR and Ren at Fashion Week. And now there's Yunjin (who seems a little young, but Kaeun was the same age when she debuted). Add Kaeun and maybe Eyoung if she still wants to be an idol, and you got a 5 member line up just like The Original. Raina and Nana gotta graduate, even though it's literally Nana's undying loyalty that has kept the group alive since Jungah's departure.

But it's Pledshit. So who knows. :shrug: First they gotta figure out how to handle two popular boy groups (especially when Minhyun returns) and how to make Pristin successful. Maybe Kaeun's only aim is truly to get into the Produce group and leave Pledis as soon as she can for another agency.

And yeah I can't believe that AKB would be okay with losing members for a survival show like that. 2,5 years is a long ass time for a temporary contract, I feel like it might just be that long because they won't constantly promote together throughout that time.

I'm just curious to see whether LOONA will actually make it big. Most of the hype I see is from stan Twitter, and stan Twitter does not buy albums. I know their company is filthy rich but they gotta make all this money back somehow right?
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Amiaw
interactive introvert

papierklemmen wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:39 am Love love love SHINee's new release. I haven't yet listened to the whole mini but the title track is a bop, I know some people find it boring (and also I guess it samples someone else's song? Never heard so Idc) but I love house and I love that it has a semi melancholic and semi hopeful vibe. I also know some people thought it's too early but let's be real they couldn't just skip their 10th anniversary and also they'll be going to the army one by one soon so it was the right time. I love it. I love them, I love the mv, it's very aesthetic, I love the choreo. My kings <3 Everyone go watch their mv!

I haven't listened to this yet because I don't know if I'm ready but does it still sound like Shinee or does it sound like someone is missing?
citizen_erased
truth bomb

Amiaw wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:21 am
papierklemmen wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:39 am Love love love SHINee's new release. I haven't yet listened to the whole mini but the title track is a bop, I know some people find it boring (and also I guess it samples someone else's song? Never heard so Idc) but I love house and I love that it has a semi melancholic and semi hopeful vibe. I also know some people thought it's too early but let's be real they couldn't just skip their 10th anniversary and also they'll be going to the army one by one soon so it was the right time. I love it. I love them, I love the mv, it's very aesthetic, I love the choreo. My kings <3 Everyone go watch their mv!

I haven't listened to this yet because I don't know if I'm ready but does it still sound like Shinee or does it sound like someone is missing?
Personally, I thought it was a bit of both. Like yes it still has that shinee vibe, but also something is off. I like the song, and it's been stuck in my head on and off for the past 2 days, but at the same time I also think it's melancholic and maybe their hearts weren't really in it, which I can totally understand. I think the boys are going to need way more time to really regroup and find out who they are now, as individuals and as a group, and what their new sound and new image is actually going to be.

That said, I love the aesthetic and the concept of the video and the song is, indeed, a bop.

re loona: I actually really like a bunch of their songs and concepts, and I'm really curious about what they're going to be like as a group when they finally debut with all 12 of them. I was really on the fence about them for a long time because several of the members just really sound unpolished to me, though hearing that some got in the group after just a few weeks of being a trainee explains a lot. But they've grown on me, and I am definitely following their progress.

Does anyone here know if there's more news about blackpink yet? I saw some things floating around about them filming a new mv recently but I never bothered to check the rumours and I haven't seen any new updates since.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

citizen_erased wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 1:01 am Does anyone here know if there's more news about blackpink yet? I saw some things floating around about them filming a new mv recently but I never bothered to check the rumours and I haven't seen any new updates since.
The only news that I've seen is that they are supposed to be releasing a mini album on June 15th but there haven't been any teasers or anything so knowing YG that could mean June 15th, 2019. YG angers me so much -they treat every female under their label like they don't exist. Now if Lee Hi could get out of the dungeon....
jaej
moon room

citizen_erased wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 1:01 am Does anyone here know if there's more news about blackpink yet? I saw some things floating around about them filming a new mv recently but I never bothered to check the rumours and I haven't seen any new updates since.
the mini album's meant to be out in about 2 weeks but i don't think there's any other details. i'm going to guess that teddy's in charge of the music again, and if he is then that's probably part of why there was a delay since he was in trouble for plagiarism and yg groups usually record about 12 tracks before one's considered good enough. i wish that yg had more producers because having about 3 makes the releases really slow and the other main writers choice37 and kush don't really suit blackpink's style as much as teddy. being able to at least contribute in writing and producing is the only way to really ensure you'll get semi regular releases and none of the blackpink members have really shown interest in the music side of being an idol the way some ikon and winner members have, other than maybe rosé +

seungri's meant to be in yg's most successful group and he still had to basically hand yg a finished mini album by himself before he was allowed to have a solo in 2013, and the only promo help he got was yg pushing for a jennie feature that he didn't want lmao. the same happened for gd's album in 2013 too, he already had a feature from sky ferreira and he was made to replace it with jennie for the korean release. blackpink hade more predebut hype than they have now, weird
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I hope BLACKPINK don't get stuck with another 2NE1 reject, as much as I ended up loving AIIYL they deserve better than being the 'younger and prettier' version of their seniors. After this long of a hiatus they deserve songs composed for them and no one else.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Amiaw
interactive introvert

jaej wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:27 am the mini album's meant to be out in about 2 weeks but i don't think there's any other details. i'm going to guess that teddy's in charge of the music again, and if he is then that's probably part of why there was a delay since he was in trouble for plagiarism and yg groups usually record about 12 tracks before one's considered good enough. i wish that yg had more producers because having about 3 makes the releases really slow and the other main writers choice37 and kush don't really suit blackpink's style as much as teddy. being able to at least contribute in writing and producing is the only way to really ensure you'll get semi regular releases and none of the blackpink members have really shown interest in the music side of being an idol the way some ikon and winner members have, other than maybe rosé +
YG has Airplay and Millenium (sp?) in house too so I don't know why they aren't being used to produce for BP. As for YG's other acts it really doesn't matter if they can write and produce because Lee Hi has been making songs for quite a while and she still hasn't gotten her comeback. Winner has had multiple projects scrapped like the Exit album series and they've even been made to change their entire style (KSY was told not to play guitar) and so now we just get auto-tuned, trop house music from them and almost every other artist has been neglected as well.

The board just needs to clean house and take the reigns from YG so that music can actually be released. If I didn't love BIGBANG and Winner so much I would have left years ago. At this point, the only saving grace for YG entertainment is that Epik High, and to some extent, Hyukoh, are signed to them and their groups are still creating excellent music that YG can't ruin.
jaej
moon room

the only reason i trust yg scrapping/delaying projects is that he did the same with 2ne1's 2013 releases and it saved them from ending with terrible results. it was meant to be 4 singles and after falling in love and do you love me did terrible for 2ne1 standards there was silence on the last 2 releases, that stuff was scrapped and a few months later they brought out missing you which absolutely killed it and brought up the hype for their album in 2014. if bigbang's made project wasn't doing well then it would have been cut short, it's the only time yg's '1 or 2 songs a month' plan has worked

i hate how slow the releases are but i also don't think there's another company who puts out more music that i like. if another company puts out 3 releases for every 1 yg act, i think i only like one of the other company's songs anyway. there's been some underperforming comebacks (taeyang and gd's weren't as highly rated as their 2013 stuff) but ikon last year have basically been their only really poor release in a long time, and they have a real contender for song of the year this year

also jurina and sakura got 2nd and 3rd in a preliminary vote for akb elections and their newest song is apparently their highest selling single? which is WILD and i was wrong and now the post-produce48 drama is going to be even more complicated. i wish jpop was easier to follow but it's so localised that it's impossible to keep up. you can definitely see why the main idol craze is finished for now because they're outdated tbh but there's still a lot of good groups. either way i think kpop groups >> but outside of idol groups japan has so much to offer, japanese female soloists from like 1995-2010 were flawless AND right now i'm seeing more and more tracks that are a revival of the tacky iconic eurobeat style music and i will actively campaign for a revival of first gen kpop to go along with this

i ended up adding a mix of new jpop + old jpop + first gen kpop and i couldn't narrow it down so it's under a spoiler. i've been ill and barely left my room in months and there aren't many places to talk about kpop that aren't hellscapes i just get too excited i've been typing this for like an hour
japanese music

namie amuro is SO POWERFUL this was meant to be a GROUP, line distribution who

she was 22 when she wrote and produced this and is the only true gay icon in this entire world and i love her

there are SO MANY TALENTED AND AMAZING WOMEN IN JAPANESE MUSIC and i want them to be acknowledged in japan and elsewhere because namie amuro and ayumi hamasaki alone alone have gone through so much (look them up if you want to feel simultaneously sad and amazed because they're very interesting) and are constantly under scrutiny that male artists aren't and they've spent decades ensuring that they are remembered as L E G E N D S in the industry and they deserve every bit of it
old kpop

this is like the only sm girl group who ever flopped but i think they were only partly under sm? anyway i love the way early 2000s girl groups danced

groups like s.e.s. are always covered by other groups anyway but again like... i miss kind of bad kpop choreography

berry good have a cute copy of this (and the only decent copy of the song uses their video) but this is probably my fave old kpop song

a lot of kpop fans talk about harisu for being a trans icon but i hope everyone knows just how iconic she is i mean... i love

tvxq are generally accepted as the first idol group of the second gen but just... 2004... was a different time... and i think the world is finally ready for this again. we weren't prepared in 2004 but now we know true art and bts' chart success means nothing to me until they all have hair extensions and bring real teen angst
basically i took so long to type this all out that i got logged out and i'm really glad i saved it a lot
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I used to love a bunch Japanese female soloists in the 00s, when I was in my anime phase and discovered Jpop. Utada Hikaru and Koda Kumi were my faves, but I loved Ayu and Namie as well. Namie retiring at the end of this year is gonna be so sad, and Ayu slowly losing more of her hearing is tragic :cry: I was never really into the idol group side of things though, I liked a few Morning Musume songs and that was it? My fave song from them is still Go Girl! Koi No Victory.

tbh most of my Jpop experience was strongly tied to anime soundtracks.

But I recently started following Amaki Sally from 22/7 (a new project from AKB's producer, seems like a Love Live! animated type of thing?) on Twitter and she's cute and quite funny. This song is pretty nice:

Sally plays Sakura, the character with long blonde hair.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I had my JPop phase when I was 18 and I was all about Judy and Mary, The Brilliant Green, and Shina Ringo.
papierklemmen
flower crown

Amiaw wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:21 am
the harmonies definitely sound a bit different, but i say it still sounds like shinee to the point that you can hear where jonghyun would fit into this. taemin and key do a lot of his notes and sound similar in a way. but of course it's a bit off.

(they recently were on a show and talked about seeing all kinds of comments that they're using tragedy for marketing purposes and they hate these comments. they said they wanted to do this comeback for themselves rather than their fans, even, and they admit that they still aren't ok but they needed this to heal and move forward. they mentioned that they're receiving professional help (councelling) and that they resigned their contracts.)
jaej
moon room

sooo only koreans will be able to vote for produce48, no akb wota votes from japan

the groups going to be at least 8/12 korean members surely, the japanese members will just be whoever manages to go viral somehow and maybe sakura, reactions to her are mixed. this just keeps getting messier and i love it even if i feel bad for the girls who'll get fucked over by it.

the japanese idol idea of stanning someone really unpolished and supporting them as they grow is pretty much the idea of the show and why i think some of them will be so endearing but in akb that works over the course of years of watching someone grow. they're not going to have much time to get noticed and build a fanbase so good luck to them i guess
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

jaej wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:21 pm sooo only koreans will be able to vote for produce48, no akb wota votes from japan

the groups going to be at least 8/12 korean members surely, the japanese members will just be whoever manages to go viral somehow and maybe sakura, reactions to her are mixed. this just keeps getting messier and i love it even if i feel bad for the girls who'll get fucked over by it.

the japanese idol idea of stanning someone really unpolished and supporting them as they grow is pretty much the idea of the show and why i think some of them will be so endearing but in akb that works over the course of years of watching someone grow. they're not going to have much time to get noticed and build a fanbase so good luck to them i guess
Yep, it's already a mess. As expected of M(ess)net. Season 2 took away five years of my lifespan at least, 48 is gonna take another ten. I bet the first elimination will sacrifice at least half of the Japanese girls because of politics, but it'll be framed in a way that will make it seem like they had no talent. As if this show is ever about talent... *gestures wildly to Sohye and Guanlin* :roll:

I was counting on Kaeun being fluent in Japanese to set her apart from all the other Korean girls and being able to make friends with the AKB girls, so that she could get votes from the Japanese public that way. But that ship has sailed. :sideeye: Now she gotta use her age to her advantage and just become the reliable yet fun unnie type of character or something.

But even if it won't do shit for her in the rankings, Kaeun already seems good friends with Jurina and she's cute with Sakura as well.. And that makes me happy. Contestants on this show becoming friends is the only wholesome thing about it.

The first episode is this Friday already :scram:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
jaej
moon room

Catallena wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:07 pm Yep, it's already a mess. As expected of M(ess)net. Season 2 took away five years of my lifespan at least, 48 is gonna take another ten. I bet the first elimination will sacrifice at least half of the Japanese girls because of politics, but it'll be framed in a way that will make it seem like they had no talent. As if this show is ever about talent... *gestures wildly to Sohye and Guanlin* :roll:

I was counting on Kaeun being fluent in Japanese to set her apart from all the other Korean girls and being able to make friends with the AKB girls, so that she could get votes from the Japanese public that way. But that ship has sailed. :sideeye: Now she gotta use her age to her advantage and just become the reliable yet fun unnie type of character or something.

But even if it won't do shit for her in the rankings, Kaeun already seems good friends with Jurina and she's cute with Sakura as well.. And that makes me happy. Contestants on this show becoming friends is the only wholesome thing about it.

The first episode is this Friday already :scram:
i'm going to be really let down if the whole season passes with absolutely no drama. please don't ruin anyone's lives mnet but if this turns out to be a diplomatic, peaceful experience with no drama at all then i'll be so sad.

jaejoong is KILLING IT in japan this month and i am so happy about it. he's already been on a couple of shows and been really charming and confident and it's nice to see. he's got a couple more this month INCLUDING music station for the first time in like a decade this friday and it's just wild. back in 2013 i really hoped he'd properly promote in japan and get the attention he deserves and to see it finally happen makes me way too excited. fans get to vote on what he's going to perform at japanese concerts at the end of the month and tohoshinki songs are included in the list and i might genuinely cry if he sings stand by u or begin and nobody records it and if they do i will definitely cry listening to it

his single also comes out the week before hyde's, someone he's such a big fan of that he has a picture of hyde's back tattoo as his twitter header. he's been talking about wanting to collab with hyde for years, will probably cover glamorous sky again for this tour and they're apparently friends these days, so i really hope there actually is a collab upcoming and jaejoong fulfills the jrock fanboy dreams in his heart. he's too wholesome and goofy to reach young gackt levels of iconic but i still want the comparison between the two of them to be about more than having a lot of plastic surgery and wanting to sleep with hyde
Amiaw
interactive introvert

jaej wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:56 pm his single also comes out the week before hyde's, someone he's such a big fan of that he has a picture of hyde's back tattoo as his twitter header. he's been talking about wanting to collab with hyde for years, will probably cover glamorous sky again for this tour and they're apparently friends these days, so i really hope there actually is a collab upcoming and jaejoong fulfills the jrock fanboy dreams in his heart. he's too wholesome and goofy to reach young gackt levels of iconic but i still want the comparison between the two of them to be about more than having a lot of plastic surgery and wanting to sleep with hyde
I would die for a Jaejoong/Hyde collab. I love Jae's version of Glamorous Sky and if they sang it together it would be amazing. I'm so happy he's getting work in Japan and he's always been happier there but I wish it was easier to get access to his material there.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

For us international people who want to watch Produce 48 live, it'll be available on http://global.tving.com/ and there's also an app available (search for Tving). So much better than playing a game of whack a mole with Mnet's copyright claimers over illegal Twitch streams like previous years. No idea about subs, if there aren't any then fansubbers will usually have episodes up about a week later.

Prologue episode 0 will air at 6PM KST, episode 1 will air at 11PM KST. I'm not completely clear on what the prologue episode will be, but it has contestants and a judge (Lee Seok Hoon) from last season as guests. Maybe they'll react to some videos of the girls like the Nekoya performance, just like some I.O.I girls reacted to the boys did last year.

Another version of Nekoya was aired today as well, this time completely in Korean but without the uniforms and moving stage. Enjoy 25 individual shots of Sakura while I figure out why Kaeun has changed positions and seems to be missing from some of the group shots.

Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
jaej
moon room

shaking, crying, dying, LIVING, i love stanning a legend

i'm weak and in love, i feel like an emo 11 year old again staring at the pretty singing man :love2: :love2: korea pls treat him right, he's literally bringing out a cookbook just to get attention there, let him on tv to sing or be a dork before he starts a haircare line or something