Buffy Thread

lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual
Pronouns: she/her

All about Phil's Favourite TV Show
LeftHandedism wrote:Does this count as a robotweet? Phil can certainly talk about Buffy reflexively. He's so wrong about Season 4 though; it's the boringest season!
papierklemmen wrote:lol i freaking love the praying mantis episode, smh phil. in fact i love all of the first season, it's pretty bad but such a guilty pleasure.
opendoor wrote:
Kathrynxjane wrote:
I completely agree with Phil. Season 2-3 are quite slow ones so I would start at 4. (also I much preferred Spike to Angel anyway so ) (also also I seem to be to only person who's favourite season is 6 so )
Omg Buffy-talk I'm so here for this. IMO people should start on Season 1. I reckon the first truly good ep is Episode 7 (Angel), but I love the two-parter at the start. But Phil's totally right Episode 4, the Praying Mantis episode is terrible. I love that Phil's a Buffy fan, I found that out sometime after I started watching him, and I live for when he makes little references, like "fire bad, tree pretty" from the DNA vid recently.

Kathrynxjane Season 6 is great, it's a hot mess, but it's great. Spuffy over Bangel all the way, but I still adore Season 2.
missemma wrote: Nope my favourite season is 6 too, what's not to love about Willow becoming totally evil and wanting to destroy everyone because the love of her life leaves. (Someone make a Buffy thread because it's my second favourite thing to discuss after Dan and Phil).
I can agree that Season 6 is the best, in part because it has the best episode, "Once More with Feeling".
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

Season 6 is easily the best season. It has so many good episodes in it. The beginning of the season gets off to a slow start but the ending blows me away every time.

I almost rarely watch season 1 anymore, it's just not as good as the others and season 7 is probably my second least favourite season, I mean really willow and Kennedy, just no.

Does anyone have any particular favourite episodes? I really like 'Who are you' from season 4, 'New Moon Rising' season 4, 'The Body' season 5 and obviously 'Once More With Feeling'.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
Veritine
tol bean

Once More with Feeling and the Body are also some of my favourites :). I really enjoy Hush too! Ohh and Tabula Rosa! I think I'd be hard pressed to pick a favourite season between 4 and 6.

I'm with Phil. The mantis episode is garbage!

My hubby and I just started a Buffy re-watch where we are going to go between Buffy and Angel as they would have aired :)
opendoor
rainbow nerd

Thanks for making the thread :)
missemma wrote: Does anyone have any particular favourite episodes? I really like 'Who are you' from season 4, 'New Moon Rising' season 4, 'The Body' season 5 and obviously 'Once More With Feeling'.
My fave seasons are 2 and 5. The finales of those seasons get me good, especially The Gift. The song Sacrifice from The Gift is so beautiful and sad.

Season 4 has some of my fave eps, and some of my absolute least faves. New Moon Rising is one of my faves because
but Who Are You is one of my least faves cause I can't stand Faith.
From Season 4 I also like Pangs, Hush, The Yoko Factor, and Restless.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

so like i might binge watch this after i finish watching phineas and ferb (such a different show i know lol), should i watch it from the very beginning? bc im one of those people that watches every single episode of a show. like i even watched every single episode of glee, even if it was a slow episode.

so..advice. should i start from the beginning or not? idk. bc it would bother me if i didn't, bc im weird like that, but i want you guys' input.
:transheart:
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Skylar wrote:so like i might binge watch this after i finish watching phineas and ferb (such a different show i know lol), should i watch it from the very beginning? bc im one of those people that watches every single episode of a show. like i even watched every single episode of glee, even if it was a slow episode.

so..advice. should i start from the beginning or not? idk. bc it would bother me if i didn't, bc im weird like that, but i want you guys' input.
I totally recommend starting from the beginning and watching it all. Some episodes suck, but that's ok. Even though I'm again trying to get my family into Season 4, I wouldn't skip it. The first four episodes kinda suck, but there's still some good character/plotline development that you wouldn't want to miss.

One thing to bear in mind is that all six seasons after the first one have 22 episodes (the first has 12), so that's a lot of episodes! Mostly a good thing, of course, but it does mean that it will take a while to binge watch. But you'll be glad you did!
"Why am I left-handed?"
pastelspectre
stress mushroom

hello just wanted to say i've started watching it. i'm on season 1 ep 3 and it's pretty good so far! seeing david boreaneaz (did i spell that right? i dont think i did) in another show besides Bones is weird lol but it's not bad. it's a good show so far. i like it. :D
:transheart:
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

Skylar wrote:hello just wanted to say i've started watching it. i'm on season 1 ep 3 and it's pretty good so far! seeing david boreaneaz (did i spell that right? i dont think i did) in another show besides Bones is weird lol but it's not bad. it's a good show so far. i like it. :D
Glad you're enjoying it so far, wait until you get to season 3 onwards, it gets so much better!
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
pilotlight
#relatable

My first introduction to Buffy, other then just being aware of it as a pop culture thing, was Once More With Feeling. Maybe not the best indication of what the series as a whole is like but I really liked that it was willing to be silly and not take itself too seriously. I wasn't really old enough to have watched it when it was airing on TV and I had the wrong impression of it (mindless teen drama with vampires) before.
I still haven't seen most of the entire series (just a few episodes from the first season and Hush), but I'm planning to start binge it after having finish the series I'm currently watching.
opendoor
rainbow nerd

missemma wrote:
Skylar wrote:hello just wanted to say i've started watching it. i'm on season 1 ep 3 and it's pretty good so far! seeing david boreaneaz (did i spell that right? i dont think i did) in another show besides Bones is weird lol but it's not bad. it's a good show so far. i like it. :D
Glad you're enjoying it so far, wait until you get to season 3 onwards, it gets so much better!
Yay! Season 1's great in a slightly-cheesy way :D Prophecy Girl, the last ep is straight-up amazing. And Season 2 is so great, it's an emotional journey. I may have watched the second-half of Season 2 in one day the first time.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

I've finally gotten farther in Season 4 with my family than we managed last time. Even though I think the plot of some of the eps is silly (and/or already been done in previous seasons), I've been reminded that the character development from episode to episode is so worth it.

I've also been enjoying being resteeped in Buffy dialect, which was quite a thing back when Buffy was airing (not that I watched it at all while it was airing; I'm like that). In fact, I believe I very recently used "hurty" in a main-thread post. That's not one of the words the show made up, but they use it a lot--I always hear it in Willow's voice in my head.

Anyway, I even own a book perfect for anyone who really likes to nerd out on these things: Slayer Slang: A Buffy the Vampire Slayer Lexicon by Michael Adams. Fun to browse, or of course look things up in; it also has a couple of chapters on basically how to do linguistic study, using the Buffyverse as an example.
"Why am I left-handed?"
palomeheart
dank meme

I'm bummed that they took Buffy off of Netflix (at least in the US). I mean I do own all of the dvds, but now I have to go home (8 hour drive) to get them and plug in my dvd player anytime I want to watch them (and I can't watch them on my computer, because according to the guy at the apple store 'dvd drives are obsolete now' :sideeye: ). We're so spoiled in the modern age of streaming and smart TVs/rokus.

I tend to really love and go back to the sillier episodes (OMWF, Tabula Rasa, Something Blue, Pangs, the one where Gyles gets turned into a demon that I always forget about but think of fondly), but I do also really love Hush and The Body. I generally think of seasons 5 and 6 as my favorite and mostly hate 4, but there are actually a lot of single episodes I like from that season. The whole arc of 4 and the main characters that go along with that are not my cup of tea though. I do also forget how much I like seasons 2 and 3 and I should probably watch them more, though I find Angel whiny and annoying and definitely prefer Spike. I did get introduced to Buffy through Logo (a ridiculous gay TV channel in the US) playing season 6 episodes cuz of Willow and learned about Spike before Angel though, so that might have made me a bit biased. I would definitely suggest just watching it all from the beginning, even if some of season 1 is a bit hard to get through, but I am a completionist it's probably not necessary.

I was wondering if anyone has read the season 8 comics (and possibly more? I'm not sure). I have the first one of season 8 and I've read it and was kind of intrigued, but I really only buy used books or use the library and they've not been easy to find. Even used on Amazon they're still pretty pricey. Anyone have thoughts on if they're worth the read?
it's a useful thing
opendoor
rainbow nerd

@ palomeheart
I haven't actually read the comics. I looked them up because I was considering reading them, but I didn't like what I saw of the plots (they seem like a more ridiculous over-blown version of the plots in the show) or the directions they took a few of the characters. So I decided to leave Buffy on the solid note of the final three episodes.
But like I said, I never read them so maybe they're amazing and I'm missing out.