TV show thread

deerly
glabella
Pronouns: they/them

angrymob wrote:I'm trying to think of any shows that destroyed the set as much as they did. :lol:

Maybe Trailer Park Boys but I've never really watched it fully.
I don't think there are any haha
Thanks, I'll check this out!
phamnotof wrote:I like my reserved, nerdy awkward weirdos who electroshock their balls in the privacy of their own bedroom with proper safe words and some bloody decorum.
daichii
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she | her

I recently finished s1 of American Horror Story, are the other seasons worth the time?
The fact that that was the end and the other seasons are abt different stuff afaik is a bit off putting so I'm not sure if I should give it my time.

I just discovered The 100 (is not famous at all in my country) and I've been watching it the entire day, almost done with S1 and omg it's so good! I had not been so hooked to a show for a long time (except GOT) bc I'm really weird when it comes to liking things so this has made me really happy. There has been some annoying teen angst moments which don-t really add up to anything, but just the filming and the story in itself is making me have high hopes for this one, I hope it continues to be good.

Other than that I'm not really watching anything, I'm thinking about watching The Walking Dead... not sure yet tho.

Fave show that got cancelled too early is def Firefly, also Angel bc it's so annoying that it never got a proper ending. I was so invested in the Buffy universe back when it was out and Wesley's character development in Angel is one of my fave things ever.

I used to watch so many tv shows when I was just a high school student *sighs* Now studying and working barely allows me to have any hobbies v.v
Kathrynxjane
janice from the shop
Pronouns: She/Her

daichii wrote:I recently finished s1 of American Horror Story, are the other seasons worth the time?
The fact that that was the end and the other seasons are abt different stuff afaik is a bit off putting so I'm not sure if I should give it my time.v
I would say definitely watch S2 (asylum) that was a great season after S1 which will always be my favourite. I really stopped watching after then. Coven was okay. Didn't watch freak show (hate clowns). Hotel was only good for Lady Gaga.

I think it went downhill after S2. It wasnt scary anymore, it was more shock value and drama.

if I was Dan he would say watch them all of course! :roll:
"You can't just pull it out and put it in without a plan." Dan Howell 2015
kay
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

daichii wrote:I recently finished s1 of American Horror Story, are the other seasons worth the time?
The fact that that was the end and the other seasons are abt different stuff afaik is a bit off putting so I'm not sure if I should give it my time.
Season 1 was so good partly because there was literally nothing else like that on TV at the time, and it was cliffhanger after cliffhanger and really good writing. The cast was great and the storylines kept everything flowing nicely.

I agree with kathrynxjane that season 2 was great as well (also probably my favorite out of all of them), also scary, quite thrilling and with a great story -- I think the best of all the seasons. The cast was amazing in this, but Jessica Lange was unreal. I like time period stuff as well, which is why I really liked it, and it was filmed so beautifully so it was very nice to look at. Actually now that I think about it, 2 was probably scarier than 1, this season legit gave me nightmares.

Season 3 (Coven) was okay, good storyline, not scary at all imho but still interesting to watch. I actually didn't like season 4 (Freak Show) at all, actually stopped watching it halfway through because I lost interest in the characters and it was a bit more grotesque/unnerving for me rather than thrilling & scary... I didn't feel comfortable watching it, but I guess that was the point

And I liked season 5 (Hotel) a lot! Lady Gaga was great, but the one that stole the show for me was Miss Elizabeth Taylor. What an amazing story, character arc, and performance from the actor. I watched it through til the end for him and Gaga, tbh. Some of the other characters got annoying after awhile
(if I had to see Chloe Sevigny or Wes Bentley looking haggard and bitching to each other one more time istg)
but not enough to turn me off the show. I still wanted to know what happened to them in the end.

I know a lot of folks didn't like Hotel though, and it wouldn't surprise me if AHS starts to fall in terms of quality, it seems to happen to every Ryan Murphy show when he gets bored of it (Nip/Tuck, Glee).
timtam
lady door

Anybody watch Orphan Black? New season just started and I think the first episode was quite controversial but I liked it.
icklebrina
living flop

ooooohhh, Orphan Black started? I love that show! I'll have to watch it soon
Cora
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: She/Her/Ugh

The Magicians? The Magicians. Season 1 just finished.

It's a US TV show, originally a UK TV show, based off a series of books. A road, I know.

But MY GOODNESS.

It's basically Harry Potter in Mr Robot world, with more sex and drugs.
And the finale? Everyone I know who actually watches it was flailing around Kermit-style over the finale.
I highly recommend it.
akui
blobfish

Anyone watched Kimmy Schmidt season 2?

Idk what to think of it, it's very Tina Fey but less good?
timtam
lady door

akui wrote:Anyone watched Kimmy Schmidt season 2?

Idk what to think of it, it's very Tina Fey but less good?
I have! It took me a little while to warm up it to but after the first couple of episodes I was laughing all the time. I don't think it was as good as the first season but I like that they explored the darker side of Kimmy being imprisoned in a bunker for 15 years. I've never seen 30 Rock or basically anything else Tina Fey is in so I can't say if it's very Tina Fey-ish but I have heard others have the same sentiment.
icklebrina wrote:ooooohhh, Orphan Black started? I love that show! I'll have to watch it soon
Yep! First episode was last week and I'm so excited. I love it.
cora808 wrote:The Magicians? The Magicians. Season 1 just finished.

It's a US TV show, originally a UK TV show, based off a series of books. A road, I know.

But MY GOODNESS.

It's basically Harry Potter in Mr Robot world, with more sex and drugs.
And the finale? Everyone I know who actually watches it was flailing around Kermit-style over the finale.
I highly recommend it.
I've been meaning to check out the Magicians. You might have swayed me to finally do so with that Harry Potter comparison!
teamug
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

some current shows I actually enjoy watching:
Dark Matter - canadian scifi about amnesic criminals in the far off future.
The Night Manager - great acting by laurie and hiddleston. good story.
Sense8 - once I made it to the scene with the song 'what's up' by 4 non blondes, I got hooked.
UnReal - dramedy of a behind the scenes of (the bachelor).
Home Fires - UK, women in a small town during the onset of ww2. well made period series.

canceled too soon:
Backstrom - grumpy detective. I liked it.
Political Animals - about a family.

Funnily enough, last night I had a dream about a tv show from a bygone era (my teen years) called The Tribe, and I've just found a lot of episodes on youtube, so my weekend plans are set.
Cora
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: She/Her/Ugh

teamug wrote:some current shows I actually enjoy watching:
Dark Matter - canadian scifi about amnesic criminals in the far off future.
The Night Manager - great acting by laurie and hiddleston. good story.
Sense8 - once I made it to the scene with the song 'what's up' by 4 non blondes, I got hooked.
UnReal - dramedy of a behind the scenes of (the bachelor).
Home Fires - UK, women in a small town during the onset of ww2. well made period series.

canceled too soon:
Backstrom - grumpy detective. I liked it.
Political Animals - about a family.

Funnily enough, last night I had a dream about a tv show from a bygone era (my teen years) called The Tribe, and I've just found a lot of episodes on youtube, so my weekend plans are set.

Ohhh, I absolutely loved Backstrom. Was totally gutted when it got cancelled.
akui
blobfish

teamug wrote: Political Animals - about a family.
Wait. I didn't realize it was cancelled until now. I just thought it was a mid season break and then i kinda forgot above it… until now you said it. It was the first good show by CW.
timtam wrote: I have! It took me a little while to warm up it to but after the first couple of episodes I was laughing all the time. I don't think it was as good as the first season but I like that they explored the darker side of Kimmy being imprisoned in a bunker for 15 years. I've never seen 30 Rock or basically anything else Tina Fey is in so I can't say if it's very Tina Fey-ish but I have heard others have the same sentiment.
I actually enjoyed the first few episode more? I personally love Jacqueline's story line the best and rest are kinda… bland, especially Carol and Titus. If you haven't watch 30 i strongly recommend it with 2000 thumbs up!
akui
blobfish

If anyone want to talk about Game of Throne we can have a separate thread??? Anyone?
majitzu
angel bean

We can do it here. I want to talk about it but I don't have a lot of opinions or time now
akui
blobfish

majitzu wrote:We can do it here. I want to talk about it but I don't have a lot of opinions or time now
I am
shocked by the red lady
, and so far no one seems like they are going to die. Except maybe
the dorne woman
and Jon Snow is definitely
majitzu
angel bean

akui wrote:
majitzu wrote:We can do it here. I want to talk about it but I don't have a lot of opinions or time now
I am
shocked by the red lady
, and so far no one seems like they are going to die. Except maybe
the dorne woman
and Jon Snow is definitely
I watch GOT with my dad, mom and brother. And when Melyssandre gets naked we all thought she was doing some weird shit to revive Jon. It was a big dissapointment to see her going to bed. :facepalm:
regresa desgraciada! Porque te estas llendo a la cama?!
backrolls
phillion/danosaur <//3
Pronouns: they/them/their pls

May I please bring back the drag race discussion from a few pages ago? The finale is upon us, opinions under the spoiler b/c it's a bastard to get season 8 in the uk and people might not have seen it (ISPs be banning access to streaming/torrenting sites like woah, but they can't stop me! I'm a RPDR super-stan but I have to spend every tuesday avoiding all social media until I find a watchable link which sometimes takes an age :x )
I was #teamchichi mostly but also love Bob, Naomi and Kim Chi, so much so that when it was time to eliminate one of them I almost couldn't watch it! I was wailing and flailing and I may have had to pause the show to have a little cry after the lip sync but you have no proof of that :wahh: The neighbours may have heard a few howls of "BUT I WANT THEM AAAALLLL TO WIN", and there were definitely real and proper tears at the end. I don't even cry at stuff normally!
I've never felt this strongly about a top three in any season let alone a top four. I just love them all so much. I still don't know who I want to win, but I think it would mean the most to Kim Chi so I'm kinda leaning more towards her, then Naomi, then Bob. Even miss congeniality is hard to call, there were so many nice ass queens! Maybe Acid Betty, lol.

So are you guys #teambob, #teamnaomi or #teamkimchi?
akui
blobfish

Re Drag race:
I'm #teamBob but i get that having kimchi to win is very important because as Michelle said this kid can change drag. Kimchi is not you usual queen who claim to be avant garde but actually just smash a ball of glitter on the head and wear it as a fashion statement. Kimchi is an actual artist who might not be most polish in other department, say lipsync or dancing, but she is the best at what she does and what she does is important.

That being said Bob is the strongest contestant and i support him.
backrolls
phillion/danosaur <//3
Pronouns: they/them/their pls

akui wrote:Re Drag race:
I'm #teamBob but i get that having kimchi to win is very important because as Michelle said this kid can change drag. Kimchi is not you usual queen who claim to be avant garde but actually just smash a ball of glitter on the head and wear it as a fashion statement. Kimchi is an actual artist who might not be most polish in other department, say lipsync or dancing, but she is the best at what she does and what she does is important.

That being said Bob is the strongest contestant and i support him.
yeah I agree with Bob being the strongest overall but I don't think he's that unique or even that polished when it comes to makeup/fashion, that being said, he would be incredible to see on a BOTS tour and has a strong enough personality and presence to even pull off a Rolodex-of-Hate style solo show. So yeah overall in the traditional 'drag arts' he is the best, however Kim Chi is SO unique, like never-before-seen unique, and yeah, maybe she can't dance, can't act, can't sing, can't even walk in heels but she can read a bitch FOR FILTH and imo is hilarious. I just think that Bob-esque queens have won before but there hasn't been anyone like Kim. Naomi is just a personal preference over Bob because I'm a sucker for a fashion queen and I love when queens (or just people in the world in general) incorporate genderfuck elements into their style, I mean did you see her DragCon outfit? Droooooolllll. And she's an absolute sweetheart and I love it when fierceness on the runway doesn't spill over to bitchiness irl
Non-spoiler talk, did you know Jinkx Monsoon follows Phil on Twitter? I can't really imagine how that would have come about, but I'm secretly hoping they are an AP stan lol
Poe
rainbow nerd

[offtopic]Did anyone watch Wayward Pines? It's a drama, mystery, sci-Fi for anyone that doesn't know. Season 1 is over and season 2 is starting on 25 May. Thoughts on it?

Other tv shows that I watched/ am watching are:
Grimm (saw 3 seasons out of 5 and then stopped when the 4th one came out because of exams and shit)
Humans (started it recently)
Suits (on and off with this one)
Salem (an interesting concept, I started this recently)
American Horror Story (season 3 was the death of me and I couldn't finish it. I loved season 1 and 5 (Hotel) the most)
Lucifer (almost done with it)
Arrow (started it at the same time with Grimm and stopped because of the same reasons)
The Originals (one of the few vampire tv shows I actually enjoyed watching)
Supernatural (I'm on and off with it, right now I'm off again and I stopped at season 4 this time)
GoT (I actually dropped this for a while. I started this when it had just 2 seasons revealed and then dropped it when the 3rd came out. I tried watching it again after that but it's just not the same and I dropped it again. Now I'm considering watching it again but idk)
The Walking Dead (dropped it at season 2)

there are more than this (oh procrastination, my good friend) but I can't remember them now and this post is getting quite long already
tv shows that were ended too quickly:
Constantine (it was a quite new take on the "supernatural" concept and the main character was very charming and mysterious with an authentic british humour and it was one of my top 5 most loved tv shows of all time)[/offtopic]
coffee pig
woodland creature
Pronouns: ''ugh, her again''

A question for Game of Thrones viewers here
Is anyone actually surprised that Jon Snow turned out not to be dead? haha
Other TV shows besides GOT that I love or are currently watching include: Firefly, Misfits, Life On Mars, Almost Human, Orphan Black, Orange Is the New Black, My Mad Fat Diary (ignore the terrible name of the show, it's the most well-written, moving, not hashtag relatable teen drama series I have ever watched. I cried buckets watching the last episode.)

As you can see, I think I'm addicted to shows that were cancelled too early. I think I have a problem. That's why I don't want to start watching Pushing Daisies or Dead Like Me despite glowing recommendations, because my heart has already been broken too many times.

My contribution to the Sherlock talk:
I agree with everyone about Irene Adler, if you wanted to make Irene a bisexual character, why didn't she just call herself bi? smh. How the writers treat Sherlock's sexuality is really confusing as well....watching the first episode, I thought it was clear Sherlock was meant to be gay, which I thought was awesome for non-stereotypical gay representation. In the Irene episode, however, they started to lean more towards Sherlock being asexual and then they imply that he's fallen in love with Irene? I'm still so confused. :?
{ bisexual Philophile and respectful stalker since 2008 }
jess
living flop

bedhead91 wrote:A question for Game of Thrones viewers here
No. Honestly, I'd be pretty surprised/angry if he had actually stayed dead. The books & the TV series so far have both made it pretty clear that he should be sticking around. If he isn't one of the three heads of the dragon... well, then, fuck you, Martin. :lol: Third head of the dragon is still up for debate for me (since Dany/Jon are pretty solid in my head). Veering into nerd territory, sorry!
Also, enjoy Firefly! Tis my favorite Whedon creation, by far (sorry, Phil, not a Buffy/Angel fan here)... even though it has its problematic moments.
coffee pig
woodland creature
Pronouns: ''ugh, her again''

jess wrote:
bedhead91 wrote:A question for Game of Thrones viewers here
No. Honestly, I'd be pretty surprised/angry if he had actually stayed dead. The books & the TV series so far have both made it pretty clear that he should be sticking around. If he isn't one of the three heads of the dragon... well, then, fuck you, Martin. :lol: Third head of the dragon is still up for debate for me (since Dany/Jon are pretty solid in my head). Veering into nerd territory, sorry!
Also, enjoy Firefly! Tis my favorite Whedon creation, by far (sorry, Phil, not a Buffy/Angel fan here)... even though it has its problematic moments.
Firefly is by far the best Whedon creation. I tried watching the first season of Buffy, but couldn't get into it for some reason. Maybe I should try skipping ahead like some people have suggested. As for the problematic moments in Firefly...I've always felt uncomfortable with the show's use of Chinese language and culture without incorporating any actual Chinese characters into the plot. I do feel like the show made it up to me, at least partially, by having a variety of complex female characters, who were all sexual beings without being demonized. Can we talk about how Inara was a bisexual woman of color and a companion, who only got shit about her profession from Mal, and everyone hated him for it? It's been over a decade and I'm still not over this show being cancelled, so much wasted potential. :( :( :(
Isn't it a popular fan theory that the third head of the dragon is supposed to be Bran Stark? There's no need to apologize for being a nerd. By all means, hit me with your theories.
{ bisexual Philophile and respectful stalker since 2008 }
jess
living flop

bedhead91 wrote: Firefly is by far the best Whedon creation. I tried watching the first season of Buffy, but couldn't get into it for some reason. Maybe I should try skipping ahead like some people have suggested. As for the problematic moments in Firefly...I've always felt uncomfortable with the show's use of Chinese language and culture without incorporating any actual Chinese characters into the plot. I do feel like the show made it up to me, at least partially, by having a variety of complex female characters, who were all sexual beings without being demonized. Can we talk about how Inara was a bisexual woman of color and a companion, who only got shit about her profession from Mal, and everyone hated him for it? It's been over a decade and I'm still not over this show being cancelled, so much wasted potential. :( :( :(
Word on pretty much all accounts. I do always find Whedon's strong feminine characters a bit off for some reason though... but I can't really elaborate since it has been some time since I've watched anything Whedon. The Chinese thing really annoys me. Not even to mention how laughably horrible their Mandarin skills are (I'm half Chinese & my Chinese mother couldn't even figure out what they were trying to say at times! :roll: )
bedhead91 wrote:
Isn't it a popular fan theory that the third head of the dragon is supposed to be Bran Stark? There's no need to apologize for being a nerd. By all means, hit me with your theories.
Tis one of the popular theories! I'm partial to the Dany/Tyrion/Jon theory... but that might just be because I loathe Bran (HE'S SO UTTERLY BORING!) & adore Tyrion. & let's be real, I wanna see Tyrion commanding a dragon because that would be badass as fuck. I'm also a believer that Jon Snow is actually Lyanna/Rhaegar's child. I am eagerly awaiting the reunion on Jon & Tyrion because I like their relationship/bond!
akui
blobfish

jess wrote:
bedhead91 wrote:
Tis one of the popular theories! I'm partial to the Dany/Tyrion/Jon theory... but that might just be because I loathe Bran (HE'S SO UTTERLY BORING!) & adore Tyrion. & let's be real, I wanna see Tyrion commanding a dragon because that would be badass as fuck. I'm also a believer that Jon Snow is actually Lyanna/Rhaegar's child. I am eagerly awaiting the reunion on Jon & Tyrion because I like their relationship/bond!
Judging by the red woman in the trailer I personally think that either Jon or Deanerys will claim the iron throne at the end, because if the red woman saw prince and princess in the fire it must be them. Plus ice and fire amiright However I'm afraid Tyrion will die helping Deanery, sometimes her ego is too big it became dangerous, or is she actually going crazy??? IDK. If Bran is the dragon then the stark must've joined forces with targaryen, maybe a targaryen+stark vs Lannister+Tyrell smash down for the finally?