TV show thread

akui
blobfish
Pronouns: She/Her

Please direct any hatred towards Steven Moffat, sudden lesbian character death or SPN fandom here.

Happy discussion, and big images and actual spoilers put them under spoiler please.
DryCereal
koi pond
Pronouns: she/her

akui wrote:Steven Moffat
I had no hate for this guy until Clara came along.
and the BBC kept teasing her imminent departure every other week. Barely watched any DW since "Angels Take Manhattan" I full-on ugly-cried. apart from the specials, I think. I have the final scene of "The Husbands of River Song" saved separately because it's... Wow. Again, sobbed. Damn you, Alex, and damn you, Twelve. "And they lived happily" :wahh: :wahh: :wahh: :wahh: :wahh:
I'm aware that these aren't popular opinions though. Fight me. I don't care. I haven't ever watched Sherlock (yet. Should I?)
Coupling (UK version, seriously, eff that copy version, it wasn't needed. or wanted.) is still one of my fave programmes ever. Deffo recommended if you can get hold of it anywhere.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
swofro
angel bean

You should watch sherlock. Besides the shipbaiting, the story is quite good in my opinion. I think I just love the way the actors bounce off each other very well.

i just love detective story, sue me. I cant remember how many times I have mention the word detective in idb. Too much.
Love is forever
akui
blobfish

IckleMissMayhem wrote:
akui wrote:Steven Moffat
I had no hate for this guy until Clara came along.
I honestly lost all of my memories since season 7.

I slowly got tired of the Ponds in the middle of season 6, Moffat really don't know how to write characters, everyone except the doctor seems very flat. And Clara is worse than the Ponds, but her episode when
she became a dalek
was good, definitely gave me false hope about the new companion.

I miss the good old RTD days where everybody reunite to save the earth. (Journey's End was sooo goood.) The new head writer Chris Chibnail wrote a lot of Torchwood episodes, he's stories has lot to do with the dark side of humanities and stuff, I am quite looking forward to, especially for 13th doctor, Moffat's childish wacky crazy grandpa doesn't suit Capaldi really.
Chris Chibnail's Countrycide for Torchwood totally scared my shitless, it was so dark, the isolation, the helplessness, the bloodiness... So good! One of the best of Torchwood.
Last edited by akui on Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jhamba
procrastinator

I hate moffat. He's a misogynistic, queerbaiting asshole. Also, I hated that he totally destroyed the concept of Irene Adler as the only person who defeated Sherlock Holmes, and gave Moriarty the credit. And, don't even get me started on how Irene Adler, a lesbian, fell for Sherlock. It was all just so gross
Just trying to spread the Dangirl agenda
swofro
angel bean

jhamba wrote:I hate moffat. He's a misogynistic, queerbaiting asshole. Also, I hated that he totally destroyed the concept of Irene Adler as the only person who defeated Sherlock Holmes, and gave Moriarty the credit. And, don't even get me started on how Irene Adler, a lesbian, fell for Sherlock. It was all just so gross
Agree with Irene thing. It just doesn't make sense. :roll: I totally wanna thumbs you up but there is no option for that, so I just going to reply to say 'same'.
Love is forever
akui
blobfish

jhamba wrote:I hate moffat. He's a misogynistic, queerbaiting asshole. Also, I hated that he totally destroyed the concept of Irene Adler as the only person who defeated Sherlock Holmes, and gave Moriarty the credit. And, don't even get me started on how Irene Adler, a lesbian, fell for Sherlock. It was all just so gross
I wish we have like button right now, I didn't even want to mention Sherlock because it is a MESS!!!

The cinematography/production design are good tho, the rest, no, just no.
internetakeover
lady door
Pronouns: they/them

Sherlock is such a nightmare, I'm still furious about Irene every time I think about it, and I generally can't stand the way Sherlock is indulged in his awful behaviour? I had more patience for that before I watched Elementary, which is an absolute wonder. I was still in Sherlock fandom when it first came out and was so prepared to hate it, but just couldn't. Sherlock/Moffat alienated me all by itself, but the contrast with Elementary didn't exactly help - it deals with Irene much better!

I'm still so sad about Moffat's influence on DW, I was so excited when he was announced as show runner b/c his episodes under RTD were so good, and I actually really liked the first Matt Smith episode, but his failure to write female characters as whole people, and tendency to over complicate things with no satisfactory solutions, and apparent aversion to actual lasting consequences for anything ever coughRorycough just meant the show became unenjoyable for me, though I did like the Ponds at first.
icklebrina
living flop

internetakeover wrote:
Sherlock is such a nightmare, I'm still furious about Irene every time I think about it, and I generally can't stand the way Sherlock is indulged in his awful behaviour? I had more patience for that before I watched Elementary, which is an absolute wonder. I was still in Sherlock fandom when it first came out and was so prepared to hate it, but just couldn't. Sherlock/Moffat alienated me all by itself, but the contrast with Elementary didn't exactly help - it deals with Irene much better!

I'm still so sad about Moffat's influence on DW, I was so excited when he was announced as show runner b/c his episodes under RTD were so good, and I actually really liked the first Matt Smith episode, but his failure to write female characters as whole people, and tendency to over complicate things with no satisfactory solutions, and apparent aversion to actual lasting consequences for anything ever coughRorycough just meant the show became unenjoyable for me, though I did like the Ponds at first.
Yes to every part of this. It's like you wrote it from my brain :lol: I agree entirely about Moffat, that's the same journey I went through with excitement to disappointment. Why does every female character of his have to have a 'mystery'? Why can't they just be people?

I disliked Elementary on principle at first (and because I was so afraid that they were going to turn it into a romance), but I couldn't keep it up for long. I don't watch it religiously, but I do enjoy it when I watch it!
Kurapika
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Fuck Superwholock.

Let's talk about Rupaul's Drag Race!

And I'm watching The Flash, which is pretty awesome.
the candlelight by the crescent moon
syzygy
drama llama

anyone up to date with Daredevil season 2?

((season 2 spoilers you have been warned))
honestly i'm just looking for any other frank/karen shippers because holy hell they had crazy chemistry that made up for the matt/karen flop. yourshipisproblematic.tumblr.com but w/e i'm in too deep to turn back now
akui
blobfish

Kurapika wrote:Fuck Superwholock.

YAs queen! This season, contestants wise, are lot better than last season, they've got some interesting characters, but it's tpo early to tell anything, so far have no opinion on this.
syzygy wrote:anyone up to date with Daredevil season 2?

((season 2 spoilers you have been warned))
honestly i'm just looking for any other frank/karen shippers because holy hell they had crazy chemistry that made up for the matt/karen flop. yourshipisproblematic.tumblr.com but w/e i'm in too deep to turn back now
Omg this season is so good! Last season the storyline dragged for a who season, but this season it was climax after climax after climax, fuck yeah!
Also fuck yeah Frank/Karen, I'm team elektra anyway.
When Frank showed up at the end and Karen looked up and saw him, i was like "backlit on top of a tall building, you can't see shit, no way Karen!"
syzygy
drama llama

akui wrote:Omg this season is so good! Last season the storyline dragged for a who season, but this season it was climax after climax after climax, fuck yeah!
Also fuck yeah Frank/Karen, I'm team elektra anyway.
When Frank showed up at the end and Karen looked up and saw him, i was like "backlit on top of a tall building, you can't see shit, no way Karen!"
although i did prefer season 2 overall, i loved The Punisher character so much that i found the first half of the season outshone the second. after Frank was arrested i was just like give me moooore Punisher, haha. i wasn't a big fan of the 'black sky' storyline, but still ended up loving Elektra.
Kurapika

akui wrote:
Kurapika wrote:Fuck Superwholock.

YAs queen! This season, contestants wise, are lot better than last season, they've got some interesting characters, but it's tpo early to tell anything, so far have no opinion on this.
My top 3 so far is Thorgy, Chi Chi and Bob.
But I love Derrick and Kim Chi and Naomi as well! The rest can fuck off.
the candlelight by the crescent moon
DryCereal
koi pond

Anybody else watch Chicago Fire/PD/Med? Archer, OITNB, or other Netflix goodness? I'm bingewatching my way through Buffy at the moment (Phil's fault...!) - hoping to have finished it before new episodes of anything else go up.
sunday

IckleMissMayhem wrote:Anybody else watch Chicago Fire/PD/Med? Archer, OITNB, or other Netflix goodness? I'm bingewatching my way through Buffy at the moment (Phil's fault...!) - hoping to have finished it before new episodes of anything else go up.
Love love love OITNB. I've been debating watching Buffy thanks to Phil - how good is it?
I also ugly cried Kim-K-style at Angels Take Manhattan :sobs:
akui
blobfish

syzygy wrote:
although i did prefer season 2 overall, i loved The Punisher character so much that i found the first half of the season outshone the second. after Frank was arrested i was just like give me moooore Punisher, haha. i wasn't a big fan of the 'black sky' storyline, but still ended up loving Elektra.
Me too! Compare to the punisher storyline, the elektra storyline is a little underwhelming, but still good tho. And I am glad to see Kingpin's return! For me the biggest problem is that the villains are not good enough, this season Kingpin is a lot better than the last season, but he doesn't have enough screen time so :roll: The Black sky leader for me is like "who? was he really in the last season?" Both the blacksmith and the black sky's villainship (pretty sure that's not a word) feels very rushed and underdeveloped.
Kurapika wrote: My top 3 so far is Thorgy, Chi Chi and Bob.
But I love Derrick and Kim Chi and Naomi as well! The rest can fuck off.
I'm having trouble remember drag queen's names, so I have to search for them. Yes I like Thorgy and Bob too!
Derrick have the potential to be the next Courtney Act, but somehow I feel like she doesn't have what it takes, we'll see.
BTW what is up with Naysha Lopez, like who even is she? I can vaguely remember her face but she is like the most boring queen from the last season, which was a season full of boring queens.
IckleMissMayhem wrote:Anybody else watch Chicago Fire/PD/Med? Archer, OITNB, or other Netflix goodness? I'm bingewatching my way through Buffy at the moment (Phil's fault...!) - hoping to have finished it before new episodes of anything else go up.
I'm watching OITNB an House of Card! Can't wait for the new OITNB. Also I'm watching The good wife, Brooklyn nine nine, shield, once upon a time and grimm, and the 100, damn I watch a lot of shows.
fleur-de-lis
butt chair

I love OITNB! Can't wait for the next season.
I'm also watching House of Cards (haven't watched the current season though), Scandal, One upon a time and How to get away with murder. My roomie and I are watching all the Dexter seasons at the moment, we've never watched it and got addicted.
DryCereal
koi pond

sunday wrote:
Love love love OITNB. I've been debating watching Buffy thanks to Phil - how good is it?
W-w-w-will you be m-m-m-my fwend? :lol:

Buffy. It's as amazingly cheesy and 90s and fun as I remember it being when it was shown on BBC2 yeeeeeeeears ago. It's good nostalgia. Give it a try.
akui
blobfish

IckleMissMayhem wrote: W-w-w-will you be m-m-m-my fwend? :lol:

Buffy. It's as amazingly cheesy and 90s and fun as I remember it being when it was shown on BBC2 yeeeeeeeears ago. It's good nostalgia. Give it a try.
I tried watch buffy but I just can't, i gave up at season 2 i think. It's just weirdly sexual for 17 yrs. :roll:
Kathrynxjane
janice from the shop

sunday wrote:
Buffy is amazing. I would say the first couple of seasons are not my favourite but season 4 onwards it gets much better. Season 6 is my favourite season ever. A couple of episodes in 6 are in my top 10 favourite TV episodes ever. If you just want to watch one episode watch, Once More With Feeling. Best episode ever!!
probably because I am more Spike than Angel so I only really liked it once he was gone. Spuffy
I also can't wait for OITNB. Need to rewatch but waiting until closer to June.

I have also been watching Game of Thrones only on Season 3 need to watch them all for when season 6 starts on April 21. I love it. It is very intense and can't binge watch it like a lot of shows though.
"You can't just pull it out and put it in without a plan." Dan Howell 2015
akui
blobfish

i just watched the new episode of rupaul's drag race, I'm glad
Naysha Lopez
got sashey away, she is nice, but she is just too ordinary.

I'm glad in this episode
there are some drama going on between thorgy and bob. Imo them, and acid betty are the strongest contestants, their level are way above other queens.
and derrick apparently don't have what it takes to be the next courtney act.
fancybum
senpai

Kathrynxjane wrote:
sunday wrote:
Buffy is amazing. I would say the first couple of seasons are not my favourite but season 4 onwards it gets much better. Season 6 is my favourite season ever. A couple of episodes in 6 are in my top 10 favourite TV episodes ever. If you just want to watch one episode watch, Once More With Feeling. Best episode ever!!
probably because I am more Spike than Angel so I only really liked it once he was gone. Spuffy
Um exqueeze me (late season 2 &) season 3 is the best Buffy season and that is fact jk kind of. If anyone's just starting Buffy (or thinking about it), fair warning, season 1 is not representative of the entire series! (Especially the first few eps). I find it fun in a nostalgic '90s way, but the awful valley-girl speak tones way down so don't let that put you off.

If I'm being completely honest, you could probably skip season 1 (except for episodes 1, 2, 7, and 12) because S2 is when shit gets real in all the best ways.

Buffy seasons ranked from best to worst IMO: 3, 2, 4, 5, 6, 1, the entire series of Angel, piles of rotting garbage, 7

Also, Angel is a pretty good series with a similarly awful first season. Once Wes stops being a clown, the series picks right up. And I absolutely love season 4, fight me.
Connor is my favourite character after Wes. SO messed up, SO tragic, and while frustrating, him making all of the most awful choices makes total sense considering his fucked up upbringing. That whole mess is nobody's fault and everybody's fault at the same time, and I can't get enough of the drama. The same could be said for Wes, he has the most satisfying (and beautifully dramatic) growth as a character and I love him so much. He becomes such a tragic badass unf, he's unrecognizable from his idiotic S1 self. Good stuff.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I was so, so into Doctor Who during the Nine/Ten/Torchwood era, but my passion for it just didn't survive the showrunner turnover. I tried still watching through Eleven's run but the tone and directions just shifted too much for my enjoyment. Makes me sad, a little, but eh. It happens.

I'm generally a pretty huge scifi fan. Farscape, Stargate, Battlestar Galactica, any/every Star Trek (even the new movies, though I have a lot more nostalgic love for the tv shows). Right now The Expanse is the only good scifi I've found, but I'm always up for recs if anyone has any.
cucu
tol bean

i'm the biggest drag race stan haha. Season 8 is shaping up to be my favourite season so far as the whole cast is just so godamn lovable. Chi Chi is so fierce & hilarious, Thorgy is oddly fascinating and captivating & Acid Betty... like, she's clearly not got a good grasp on what is regular and polite social etiquette, but her drag is so wonderfully creative and weird, I love love it.

I'm not even going to start on the whole Irene Adler thing or the general way lesbian characters are treated by TV show writers as it irks me to absolutely no end. like... they're either the creepy-butch-no-boundaries stereotype, somehow falling in love with a man (despite being.... a lesbian???) or being killed by a stray bullet or toxic envelope glue. It's deeply depressing.