charlieissocoollike

Post Reply
Academic Rant zen
smol bean
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:54 am

I've only been watching Charlie for about a year and a half now so I'm not a huge fan or an expert. I recently just watched his latest video and really agreed with a lot of his remarks. He went on about how in order to discuss mental health, youtubers must hmmm "sugar coat" things and casually bring it up jokingly. He also said that he was not satisfied that youtubers have a "manufactured authenticity" and create a phony version. I just wanted to know if anyone had any input on the subject or if it caught the attention of someone else.
Please do not expect anything academic, ranty, or of zen.
User avatar
opendoor
rainbow nerd
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:24 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Australia

I watched the video, and I felt so sorry for Charlie, he really is such a sweet guy, and I didn't know he had all that going on. Proud of him for talking about it though.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
User avatar
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff
Posts: 470
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:56 am

I saw his tweets and watched the video. Frankly, I'm saddened, but not surprised at all. Charlie has never been one for the spotlight... his reluctance to do collabs and draw attention to himself in an environment he does not have complete control over has always reflected that. In his song 'Duet with Myself', he also showed himself to be quite self-critical (he even called himself 'neurotic'), and even though the song ended on a positive note, I have always felt that there's more to himself that he never felt comfortable expressing to his audience (his shyness and social anxiety, for instance). I am glad he got help and is now managing his anxiety and depression. He's always been one of my favourites, and one of the first youtubers I ever got into (even before D&P).

my goodness, I used the word 'himself' a lot
:omgsomuch: deppyshows - sap & radio show doc / liveshow doc / liveshow stats :omgsomuch:
Image
gif credit: themostfuniveverhad
User avatar
shoe
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:06 pm
Pronouns: they/them


Props to Charlie for acknowledging the people who worked with him on the book, and being honest about the fact that it was the publishing company who approached him not the other way around. I'm sick of hearing "I've always wanted to write a book", this was a breath of fresh air.
hypothesised
phillion/danosaur <//3
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:04 am
Pronouns: they/them
Location: on phil's top 10 viewer countries

yay! finally a thread about charlie, he's the first youtuber i properly watched and still one of my faves i'm disappointed i won't be able to get or read his book for a while until i get my life sorted out but i'm so glad he's starting a new fun science series! i feel like science is going to be his niche at this rate.

some of my favourite charlie videos are a song about love, duet with myself and the other charlie.
i like his music don't shame me
i tried to embed the videos here but i don't know how to... :facepalm:
thank you for being brave
User avatar
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady
Posts: 2961
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

I was such a Charlie fangirl in 2010-11 like wow I was pretty obsessed tbh. Love like that doesn't fade away yo :lol:
BisexualShoeMarriage wrote:
Props to Charlie for acknowledging the people who worked with him on the book, and being honest about the fact that it was the publishing company who approached him not the other way around. I'm sick of hearing "I've always wanted to write a book", this was a breath of fresh air.
Yesss I really enjoyed this video simply because of his honesty about how his book came to be and how he thanked everyone who worked on it and explained what their role was. It's refreshing and also very him. He's a very genuine person and YouTuber, I love him for that. I just wish he'd upload more ;_;

Does anyone else feel like he's even less of a social butterfly these days than he already was? Like after half of his friends got exposed as sexual predators, including his best friends and former housemate, he dropped them and didn't want anything to do with them anymore (a certain curly haired blonde should've taken notes lol...) but it seems like he never formed new close friendships with other UK YouTubers either. Makes me sad, because I'm pretty sure he's very well liked by everyone.
Stan is only one letter away from Satan.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
(inventor of capita£ester, will kick people who use it to slander phil)
hypothesised
phillion/danosaur <//3
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:04 am
Pronouns: they/them
Location: on phil's top 10 viewer countries

Catallena wrote:Does anyone else feel like he's even less of a social butterfly these days than he already was? Like after half of his friends got exposed as sexual predators, including his best friends and former housemate, he dropped them and didn't want anything to do with them anymore (a certain curly haired blonde should've taken notes lol...) but it seems like he never formed new close friendships with other UK YouTubers either. Makes me sad, because I'm pretty sure he's very well liked by everyone.
i'm sure he's well-liked! he seems really nice and probably gets along with everyone, but i'd think he has his own circle of friends from when he made his short films and also people from cereal time. i still really miss chameleon circuit etc though :cry: maybe after the fun science gig/promo is over he could start working with other people and go out to events more often?
thank you for being brave
User avatar
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady
Posts: 2961
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

hypothesised wrote:
Catallena wrote:Does anyone else feel like he's even less of a social butterfly these days than he already was? Like after half of his friends got exposed as sexual predators, including his best friends and former housemate, he dropped them and didn't want anything to do with them anymore (a certain curly haired blonde should've taken notes lol...) but it seems like he never formed new close friendships with other UK YouTubers either. Makes me sad, because I'm pretty sure he's very well liked by everyone.
i'm sure he's well-liked! he seems really nice and probably gets along with everyone, but i'd think he has his own circle of friends from when he made his short films and also people from cereal time. i still really miss chameleon circuit etc though :cry: maybe after the fun science gig/promo is over he could start working with other people and go out to events more often?
He doesn't share much on social media aside from cute pics of his cat that I want to steal, so I guess he could have an amazing social life off screen. I hope he does.

I'm not into Doctor Who so Chameleon Circuit was never very interesting to me, though I do miss when Charlie was still into making silly music. When he made Gideon's Song last year he said he hadn't written a song in 2 years and that kinda made me sad. Duet With Myself was so good.
Stan is only one letter away from Satan.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
(inventor of capita£ester, will kick people who use it to slander phil)
hypothesised
phillion/danosaur <//3
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:04 am
Pronouns: they/them
Location: on phil's top 10 viewer countries

Catallena wrote:
hypothesised wrote:
Catallena wrote:Does anyone else feel like he's even less of a social butterfly these days than he already was? Like after half of his friends got exposed as sexual predators, including his best friends and former housemate, he dropped them and didn't want anything to do with them anymore (a certain curly haired blonde should've taken notes lol...) but it seems like he never formed new close friendships with other UK YouTubers either. Makes me sad, because I'm pretty sure he's very well liked by everyone.
i'm sure he's well-liked! he seems really nice and probably gets along with everyone, but i'd think he has his own circle of friends from when he made his short films and also people from cereal time. i still really miss chameleon circuit etc though :cry: maybe after the fun science gig/promo is over he could start working with other people and go out to events more often?
He doesn't share much on social media aside from cute pics of his cat that I want to steal, so I guess he could have an amazing social life off screen. I hope he does.

I'm not into Doctor Who so Chameleon Circuit was never very interesting to me, though I do miss when Charlie was still into making silly music. When he made Gideon's Song last year he said he hadn't written a song in 2 years and that kinda made me sad. Duet With Myself was so good.
finally, another duet with myself enthusiast! i like a song about love better though.
thank you for being brave
User avatar
shoe
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:06 pm
Pronouns: they/them

hypothesised wrote:
Catallena wrote:I'm not into Doctor Who so Chameleon Circuit was never very interesting to me, though I do miss when Charlie was still into making silly music. When he made Gideon's Song last year he said he hadn't written a song in 2 years and that kinda made me sad. Duet With Myself was so good.
finally, another duet with myself enthusiast! i like a song about love better though.
I love both of those but I think A Song About Monkeys is my favourite. I also love In the Absence of Christmas. Charlie has a beautiful voice and a real talent for music-making, I hope he feels motivated to make and share more in the future. Maybe more songs about science?
User avatar
opendoor
rainbow nerd
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:24 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Australia

Charlie music! Sometimes I find Duet with Myself stuck in my head and I haven't heard it in years. Love most the ones that were mentioned, I'd completely forgotten about A Song About Monkeys. Also as a teen I used to relate heavily to A Song about Acne, like it was nice somebody was singing about it.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
User avatar
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady
Posts: 2961
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

I get Duet With Myself stuck in my head all the time, it's the original Roast Yourself challenge but better lol. Song About Love is nice as well and an old friend of mine really love Song About Acne because she related to it so much.

I'd love it if he did more music, Gideon's Song was cool and very relatable to me as a crazy cat lady but it was obvious that it was his first attempt in years.
Stan is only one letter away from Satan.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
(inventor of capita£ester, will kick people who use it to slander phil)
User avatar
shoe
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:06 pm
Pronouns: they/them

Charlie made a Chirstmas EP for the P4A, however, it is not the beautiful music you may have been hoping for. He sings in the voice of his cat. However, if you would like to support the P4A and aquire a unique festive soundtrack, or some other perk, the indiegogo is only open for another 31 hours. After that, all of the perks will be GONE FOREVER.

indiegogo link in full b/c the url code didn't want to work for me: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/proj ... -youtube#/

although it may well be possible in the future to aquire pirated versions of some of the digital perks, we won't talk about that. :tsk: it's for charity.


User avatar
Birdie
stress mushroom
Posts: 639
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:22 pm
Pronouns: they/she
Location: Northern Europe

BisexualShoeMarriage wrote:Charlie made a Chirstmas EP for the P4A, however, it is not the beautiful music you may have been hoping for. He sings in the voice of his cat. However, if you would like to support the P4A and aquire a unique festive soundtrack, or some other perk, the indiegogo is only open for another 31 hours. After that, all of the perks will be GONE FOREVER.

indiegogo link in full b/c the url code didn't want to work for me: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/proj ... -youtube#/

although it may well be possible in the future to aquire pirated versions of some of the digital perks, we won't talk about that. :tsk: it's for charity.


This is SO cute, I'm crying happy tears. I might actually get the EP since it's for charity and just such a cute idea. I don't really see myself listening to it but yes, it's for charity.
User avatar
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Posts: 2679
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:55 pm
Pronouns: She/her
Location: London, UK

The cutest cat smile ever from Valentine's Day, I'm not even sure how this is possible:
User avatar
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Posts: 2679
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:55 pm
Pronouns: She/her
Location: London, UK

Woo, double-posting with a six-month gap. Charlie has appeared with an interesting Dr Seuss-like poem about why he hasn't been online in a while.

lizard queen
tol bean
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:39 pm

I was very pleasantly surprised to see that he uploaded a video. Liam Dryden made a similar one a few months ago, Charlie even linked it in the description.
Charlie's honesty is refreshing and I appreciate it a lot. He's the first Youtuber I watched and I will always support him; I hope that he continues to create stuff he likes and will be more than happy to discover what he decides to share with the world.
User avatar
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady
Posts: 2961
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

welp, guess it's time to dust off this old thread. it was already posted in the main thread, but i figured it'd be nice for it to be in his own thread as well?

So Charlie just officially announced that he has essentially quit making YouTube videos.
He has basically grown out of it and is interested in other projects. But he's still proud of all he did on YouTube (as he should be!), especially of things that weren't super popular like his short films and Fun Science. He's a screenwriter now, in December it was announced that he was writing a show for a new service called Quibi.

Not very surprised because I really didn't expect him to return to YouTube fulltime anymore at this point, but the news that he has really pretty much quit does kinda hit me hard. Charlie was one of the first YouTubers I ever really became a fan of, and was an inspiration to so many other YouTubers (like Dan) as well. But he was also one of the first YouTubers to talk about being burned out. Revolutionary all around. I suppose almost all traces of the platform he once joined, but also the one he helped it grow into, have disappeared. Most of the YouTube stanning youths today have no idea who he is. His video format from when he was at his peak would probably not be very popular today. It really feels like the end of an era. :(

Favorite videos? Just looking through his channel makes it hard to pick fave tbh. Duet With Myself and Cooking With Charlie are iconic. I also really like the one where he dyes his hair red, and his video on procrastination is very clearly one of early Dan's biggest pieces of inspiration.
Stan is only one letter away from Satan.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
(inventor of capita£ester, will kick people who use it to slander phil)
User avatar
fieldoflovers
living flop
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:12 am
Pronouns: she/her

aw while i'm not surprised at all and wasn't really expecting him to continue to make videos I did get really nostalagic reading that thread. Charlie was the first youtuber I subscribed to and without him I don't think I would have discovered dnp and boy i loved him so much.

My favourite video from him continues to be the "eating cereal for 10 minutes" because it was so him to lowkey make fun of fan culture while not being dickish about it. Other favourites were Understanding teen girls/boys, cooking with charlie, duet with myself(which i sing too often) and his dance recess. While the collab he did with dan and phil was really awkward and in the middle of his first youtube crisis, I still appreciate how much dan looked up to him. He even asked for permission before making that procrastination video and that makes me so soft.

Anyway thank u charlie for the great content over the years (and special shout out to cereal time cause I'll still rewatch those once in a while).
Image
User avatar
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Posts: 2679
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:55 pm
Pronouns: She/her
Location: London, UK

I watched a bunch of his videos a year or two now, I particularly remember the one where he eats a load of sweets, jelly beans maybe, or Smarties (M&Ms maybe, can I remember?) and first of all he sorts them into piles of all the different colours and then I mainly remember his expression when he was struggling to finish them all. I can only imagine the grum in his tum* after all that :roll:

*one of my fave expressions, short for "grumble in the tumble" aka tummy.
User avatar
kavat
pastel persona
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:36 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: scandinavia



Charlie IS so cool like <3
User avatar
000dia000
angel bean
Posts: 1071
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:17 pm
Location: Ireland

A while ago Charlie deleted every youtube video and is starting fresh. The video is not live just yet, but I think everyone should tune into her new era :prideheart2:

:cactus:
Post Reply