Other YouTubers thread

kavat
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Other YouTubers thread

Post by kavat » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:00 pm

I've never liked Jaackmaate and this makes me like him even less. He's the kind of person who "says it like it is, I'm brutally honest" without thinking at all about how it might effect others.

I'm not sure making a video to your 7,5m subscribers is the way to go and Caspar was out of line in the way he initially responded, but I still have big respect for him for standing up for his friend.
Do you make mistakes or do you make a change?

Katka
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: they/she

Post by Katka » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:01 pm

Okay, no. There's a lot about Jaackmaate I don't like but I'm with him on this. He didn't "bully" Oli White. He criticised a piece of Oli's merch and especially its price. And that's allowed. Caspar "standing up" for his friend was literally Caspar telling his giant audience that Jack was a horrible bully knowing full well that they would come for him. Jack got death threats from Caspar's and Oli's audiences over a throwaway comment about Oli's overprized shirt. Has Caspar thought about how that might''ve effected Jack before posting that first video? Didn't think so. (I'm not trying to attack you by the way, but we can't go and call people bullies for having a negative opinion on someone's merch or content. Criticism is damn healthy, especially considering Youtube merch which sadly is very often overprized garbage sold to kids.)

You don't have to like Jaackmaate but he had every right to call out Oli's ridiculous merch prices (just like he had every right to call out Zoella over her advent calendar last year) and he explained his problem with it very well in his video. Caspar is making a fuss about literally nothing. I like Caspar but he can miss me with this sob story about how some solid criticism hurt their feelings and how it's totes bullying (it's not). Ganging up on Jack and sitting down to make a condescending 20 minute video making fun of his video is though. Way to teach your audience that you can never say negative opinions ever because then you're not "nice" and positive. And piggy backing on Jaackmaate's idea to use this drama to donate to anti-bullying organisations just so your fans can rest well assured that you also care is weak. Caspar's "I want this to be the end of this" comment at the end and the high and mighty attitude and flippant comments all through the video... I can't even. Everything about this video is completely unfair. Caspar putting the audience in the role of the victims with his "I hope you know you aren't as stupid as Jack says" when Jack never even insinuated that. Playing Jack's video back with that high pitched voice so that people will have a hard time taking him and his very valid arguments seriously. Acting all hurt and victimised, like someone criticising your merch will take away your million pound income.

But I guess this whole "drama" (it's so ridiculous, this whole thing is about someone criticising a piece of merch, oh god) is giving all of them - Caspar, Jack and Oli probably - mad clicks, so well done? But there's major backlash already, even from Caspar's fans so I don't think they he did himself a favour here. And tbh, he deserves it in my opinion. This reaction to Jack's original comments and his video were childish and they're trying to turn peoples' opinions against what Jack said with cheap tricks which is hella manipulative. All they're saying is "We're the victims here, Jack is mean and a bully, so please keep buying our lazy merch" and I can't believe more people don't see through that.
(used to be Birdie)

zazzed
crusty sponge

Post by zazzed » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:35 am

Has anyone watched Contrapoints? I looked them up after dan mentioned her in a liveshow and I am so in love with her work, incredibly so. I did exactly what Dan did and binged watched every video in the span of 2 days. Would be rlly cool if Dan decided to dabble in that kind of video making; long, stylized, film-like videos posted once or twice a month. I know their channels are widely different content wise, but I think that branching out in some way would actually be really interesting to see? Also would love if Phil went back to some of his old-school film making style, as I found those really neat and really fucking creative. But I doubt it. A girl can dream though... :cry:

fieldoflovers
squish

Post by fieldoflovers » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:38 pm

zazzed wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:35 am
Has anyone watched Contrapoints? I looked them up after dan mentioned her in a liveshow and I am so in love with her work, incredibly so. I did exactly what Dan did and binged watched every video in the span of 2 days. Would be rlly cool if Dan decided to dabble in that kind of video making; long, stylized, film-like videos posted once or twice a month. I know their channels are widely different content wise, but I think that branching out in some way would actually be really interesting to see? Also would love if Phil went back to some of his old-school film making style, as I found those really neat and really fucking creative. But I doubt it. A girl can dream though... :cry:
I agree with everything you said tbh! I would love to see dan to longer videos especially if they were video essay type of things. I sometimes wonder if Dan had started later on youtube and his influences weren’t vloggers what kind of videos he’d make, because while i think his comedy is really good, i do like his deep messages and things like that. I kinda know these types of videos wouldn’t happen because changing direction with 7 million people watching is difficult but I will join you in dreamland where dan makes videos that are equal parts philosphical, zany and weird.

lilabet
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by lilabet » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:52 pm

I’ve recently been watching Hannah Witton. Not every video but she recently had fairly intrusive surgery and is posting about her recovery

fieldoflovers
squish

Post by fieldoflovers » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:10 pm

Do any of you watch Connor Manning? They posted this video recently where they reacted to a gender tag video they did in 2015, when they identified as a cis male. Its weird because I remember subscribing to them then because they were bi and talked abt being a bi guy which is a perspective I hadn’t heard much of before. A lot can change in 3 years I guess but this video was very interesting in terms of what people present to the world(be it irl or on yt) vs. reality.