Shane Dawson

whatdoiknow
truth bomb

Re: Shane Dawson

Post by whatdoiknow » Thu May 10, 2018 1:53 am

alittledizzy wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 1:14 am
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in a thread for grav3yard girl but since it's Shane's video and I don't think we even have a Bunny thread...

This is a really interesting look at at a youtuber who was at a height and has suffered a steep drop in views over the past couple years. I'm curious to see what kind of advice Shane gives her, but mostly it's Bunny herself I find interesting.
I'm really excited for the next video in the series, to see where this goes. I didn't actually think I'd heard of Bunny before, but when I was watching the video she seemed so familiar, so I think I might have been aware of her during her heyday.

Anyways, I find this whole thing really interesting, and want to know more about her and what's going on.

But kind of off topic - as someone who still watches all of Shane's videos, I still can't quite put my finger on how I feel about him. Like, with this series - obviously it's not going to be completely altruistic, but he seems to go overboard with the 'look at me helping other people out' shtick (and he does this with lots of other people - like, more off topic again, the video with Molly Burke. Watching that, I would have thought she was basically unknown and Shane was doing her this huge favour by having her on his channel, but she'd actually already done collabs with a bunch of other big youtubers before that).

Anyways, back to Bunny and Shane - I found the whole setup of the series interesting. Because Shane had mentioned that he wanted to do this series with some youtuber, and it seems like Bunny was the one he chose. But then in the video, Bunny mentions something about being worried Shane would say no to the collab (I watched the vid yesterday and can't remember the exact quote). So, did Shane reach out to a bunch of people that he thought needed help, and then they had to like basically 'interview' for the opportunity to be in the video? I was just confused by Bunny's wording, because I would have assumed Shane contacted her directly, but Bunny made it seem like Shane had the chance to say no, like there were other people in the running. I don't know, this isn't a big deal in the end, I'm just interested in the behind the scenes of how these types of videos actually come to be, and how much actual truth is behind it. Obviously, both parties will be doing it for their own personal gain, but I'm curious to know exactly how much is set up (which brings me back to my questioning of Shane's character overall, and how genuine he actually is, when his whole branding now is being 'genuine').

But yeah, I'm mostly excited to learn more about Bunny.

kavat
lady door
Pronouns: she/her

Post by kavat » Thu May 10, 2018 7:44 am

This series is so interesting to me. I'm one of those people who used to watch her a lot back in 2013-2015 and then stopped. I just didn't find her interesting enough any more, she had a lot of returning formats that just felt like the same thing over and over. I went back a few months ago to see what she was up to and it was still just same things, and I could just see how the passion was just completely gone. I remember her talking about her anxieties a long time ago but it seems like she's kept that part of her quiet.

I like that Shane is the one to do this with her, as I know they have been fans of each other for a long time and they seem to really respect each other. They know both how the industry works and what it does to people. I just hope she gets professional help as well, because she seems to have some issues that she probably need to deal with.
Do you make mistakes or do you make a change?

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Post by alittledizzy » Fri May 11, 2018 4:29 am

Anyone watch the second episode? Bunny's house is massive, holy shit. It makes me realize that even with their swank penthouse Dan and Phil are not splashing out like some of their peers.

I did find it interesting to watch still, but then I tried to go back to Bunny's videos and was not super impressed. Maybe she is only just starting to implement his advice - but also I don't know that what he's telling her to do with entice me. I don't want to see luxury hauls and watch a really rich person spend their money excessively.

whatdoiknow
truth bomb

Post by whatdoiknow » Fri May 11, 2018 12:35 pm

alittledizzy wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:29 am
Anyone watch the second episode? Bunny's house is massive, holy shit. It makes me realize that even with their swank penthouse Dan and Phil are not splashing out like some of their peers.

I did find it interesting to watch still, but then I tried to go back to Bunny's videos and was not super impressed. Maybe she is only just starting to implement his advice - but also I don't know that what he's telling her to do with entice me. I don't want to see luxury hauls and watch a really rich person spend their money excessively.
When comparing her to deppy, I think it makes a bit of a difference that they're living in london and she's in texas. I think there's a pretty big difference in house prices from what I've seen on things like house hunters lol but I could be wrong. But yeah, she's definitely loaded and definitely spends that money.

I completely agree about not being interested in that stuff. I was actually just thinking about this on my drive to work this morning, about how I agree with Bunny that I don't want to see her flaunting her money. It's so disheartening to see someone who can spend their money so frivolously, when I'm 27 and still living at home because I can't even afford a small condo on top of student loans. And like, I don't hate her for being rich or anything, and she can spend her money however she wants because she earned it, but that's not something I'm interested in watching and being reminded of.

MythicalPinkTrashCan
cheeky #spon

Post by MythicalPinkTrashCan » Fri May 11, 2018 2:35 pm

whatdoiknow wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:35 pm
alittledizzy wrote:

When comparing her to deppy, I think it makes a bit of a difference that they're living in london and she's in texas. I think there's a pretty big difference in house prices from what I've seen on things like house hunters lol but I could be wrong. But yeah, she's definitely loaded and definitely spends that money.

I completely agree about not being interested in that stuff. I was actually just thinking about this on my drive to work this morning, about how I agree with Bunny that I don't want to see her flaunting her money. It's so disheartening to see someone who can spend their money so frivolously, when I'm 27 and still living at home because I can't even afford a small condo on top of student loans. And like, I don't hate her for being rich or anything, and she can spend her money however she wants because she earned it, but that's not something I'm interested in watching and being reminded of.
Houses in texas are SUPER cheap compared to a lot of the united states/world. Houses are big and since so much of texas is just big and empty, the land isn't too pricey. Lots of developers making McMansions, so the market is pretty competitive.

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Post by alittledizzy » Fri May 11, 2018 5:18 pm

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 2:35 pm
whatdoiknow wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:

Houses in texas are SUPER cheap compared to a lot of the united states/world. Houses are big and since so much of texas is just big and empty, the land isn't too pricey. Lots of developers making McMansions, so the market is pretty competitive.
It may be true about the house itself (and I'm not doubting you, I'm sure it costs less to make a house that size in Texas than London) but I still think that she's spending outrageously more than Dan and Phil. Even if you say that somehow her McMansion is the same as what they pay for a penthouse (I really, really think it's not) - a Porsche convertible and a Tesla? An arcade room in her house? A walk in closet bigger than my last two bedrooms full of designer stuff? She's still someone who is within their peer range on youtube (in terms of subscriber count and the years she was at her peak) who is living a much more glamorous lifestyle than Dan and Phil are.

MythicalPinkTrashCan
cheeky #spon

Post by MythicalPinkTrashCan » Fri May 11, 2018 6:13 pm

alittledizzy wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 5:18 pm
MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 2:35 pm
whatdoiknow wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:

It may be true about the house itself (and I'm not doubting you, I'm sure it costs less to make a house that size in Texas than London) but I still think that she's spending outrageously more than Dan and Phil. Even if you say that somehow her McMansion is the same as what they pay for a penthouse (I really, really think it's not) - a Porsche convertible and a Tesla? An arcade room in her house? A walk in closet bigger than my last two bedrooms full of designer stuff? She's still someone who is within their peer range on youtube (in terms of subscriber count and the years she was at her peak) who is living a much more glamorous lifestyle than Dan and Phil are.
Oh yes, totally. I agree that's she's spending more than D&P. I was just added a +1 to the "houses are cheaper in Texas". I've always felt like she was just a hoarder with organizational/decorating skills.

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Post by alittledizzy » Mon May 14, 2018 11:03 pm

Just watched the third part... this series would have been way more enjoyable to me if Shane weren't borderline mocking her half the time. I appreciate a gray space between schmoopy ass kissy platitudes and literally-every-thought-in-his-head. Tonally, some of the more vloggy bits just felt super out of place with his sentiment during more serious parts.

That said, I'll be curious to see an eye on her channel and see what she really does change or if things go back to normal fairly fast, and also to see who he works with next.