Safiya Nygaard

holowaterfall
tol bean

somethingsketchy wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:55 am A few hours ago Safiya uploaded a video where she dresses like Bratz dolls. I'm only one year younger than her, so the video gave me horrible primary school flashbacks of the early 00s clothing style and playing with the dolls at friends' houses. I know that many people on this forum are older (and some younger) than me, so I'd be curious to hear what other people got out of the video. Was it entertaining without the childhood nostalgia factor?

i didn't really play with Bratz when I was a child, so the childhood nostalgia factor wasn't there for me. At the same time I really loved the vide, because she puts so much effort in it, even going somewhere snowy to "model" one outfit.
So for me it was kind of similar to her "I dress like it's 19x7 series", but at the same time really fun and different.
I kind of hope she dresses like iconic Barbies next, that would be fun, too
the weeping of the sea
kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

I'm a few years older than her (born 1989) and never played with the dolls but definitely had some of these clothes. The denim skirt, the turtle neck with a print, the newsboy cap, the low rise flared jeans, the bandana... She did really well in finding everything!
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

kavat wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:55 pm I'm a few years older than her (born 1989) and never played with the dolls but definitely had some of these clothes. The denim skirt, the turtle neck with a print, the newsboy cap, the low rise flared jeans, the bandana... She did really well in finding everything!
I got the impression that some of the items she wore were custom-made for the video, which was probably even more expensive than buying everything second-hand. I'm constantly amazed by how much effort she (and Tyler) must put on each video. Everything she does requires a lot of advance planning, so it'd be interesting to know how she manages her time and what her creative process is like.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

somethingsketchy wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:13 pm I'm constantly amazed by how much effort she (and Tyler) must put on each video. Everything she does requires a lot of advance planning, so it'd be interesting to know how she manages her time and what her creative process is like.
Agreed. I've wanted her to do a video talking about her creative process. She obviously has more than one video going on at a time (since a lot of her stuff is so pre-planned, and involves getting stuff ready well in advance). I'd love a behind the scenes type video where we see how she plans her weeks out and what she does to keep everything organized.
kavat
pastel persona

Oh yes, she always puts so much effort into her video! That blue fuzzy hat alone must have taken some time, it seems to be made by the same material as the jeans.

There's so many of her videos that contain the phrase "So it's been a few months..." that she must have at least 10 projects running parallell. I would also love to see a behind the scenes video of how she does it.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

Aaaaah, I've been waiting for the video of Saf getting her hair dyed! The colour that won the poll really suits her, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the new look. <3

Also, can we talk about the possibility of Tyler getting a perm? That seems like something that could suit him.

This video made me consider getting my own hair ombré-dyed when I finally get tired of having long hair. I could just chop off the ends when the colour has faded and transition into shorter hair that way. I'm a bit scared, though, because I've never dyed my hair.

theseclouds
crusty sponge

I'm loving the end result, the colour really suits her! :)
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

I'm still so in love with Safiya's new look and actively bummed that my hair's not dark enough to get a similar dye. :love2:
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

She does look really pretty, that color really suits her jet black hair, but i just don't... get?... the grey hair trend? not for me at least. lavender would have looked sooo pretty too.
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
theseclouds
crusty sponge

I'm thinking/hoping once the gray has washed out a bit, she'll go for another colour instead of just chopping off the blonde tips! I've personally found that once you start dyeing your hair, it's hard to stop again :lol:
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

It looks really nice but all I can think about is how hard it is to dye bleached tips dark again. :lol: My hair is the same colour as hers and I had colourful tips for a while. But I got tired of it and tried to dye them black again and... it just keeps washing out. It does look lovely on her though.
Reizam
butt chair

Katka wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:07 pm It looks really nice but all I can think about is how hard it is to dye bleached tips dark again. :lol: My hair is the same colour as hers and I had colourful tips for a while. But I got tired of it and tried to dye them black again and... it just keeps washing out. It does look lovely on her though.
Thankfully she mentioned that if she gets tired of the dyed tips, she'll just chop them off for a shorter haircut. I can imagine how annoying it must be to try dyeing bleached hair back to their original colour again :)
sparkle
blobfish

Reizam wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:23 pm
Thankfully she mentioned that if she gets tired of the dyed tips, she'll just chop them off for a shorter haircut. I can imagine how annoying it must be to try dyeing bleached hair back to their original colour again :)
I tried to dye my bleached hair back to my natural colour so I could dye it permanent red and not have it go nuclear orange. My natural colour is a medium caramel blonde colour, and it soaked up the dye so much it went dark grey and I looked about 50. Your hair gets so porous its an absolute nightmare. I've ended up having to strip it, which has made it an interesting colour but still noticeably darker than my natural. Its a very pretty colour though currently.

The reverse is also true, trying to lighten dyed black is an absolute bitch. Interestingly enough, I dyed it black from blue (bleached) and I never had a problem with the colour fading, just my roots coming through made me look bald.

Having the plan to cut it off if she gets bored is probably the most sensible thing she could do. She's got long enough hair so that she can sacrifice the length and still have it cut into a style she's happy with.
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
Birdie
blobfish

Reizam wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:23 pm Thankfully she mentioned that if she gets tired of the dyed tips, she'll just chop them off for a shorter haircut. I can imagine how annoying it must be to try dyeing bleached hair back to their original colour again :)
Oh my god, I could never do that. :D My hair takes ages to grow so just cutting half of it off was always out of the question for me. (Save that one time I tried to dye my black hair blond and damaged it so badly I had to cut it really short. A dark time in my life...) Safiya looks really good with shorter hair though (she always looks good, let's be real) so it will at least suit her.
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

Katka wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:33 pm
Reizam wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:23 pm Thankfully she mentioned that if she gets tired of the dyed tips, she'll just chop them off for a shorter haircut. I can imagine how annoying it must be to try dyeing bleached hair back to their original colour again :)
Oh my god, I could never do that. :D My hair takes ages to grow so just cutting half of it off was always out of the question for me. (Save that one time I tried to dye my black hair blond and damaged it so badly I had to cut it really short. A dark time in my life...) Safiya looks really good with shorter hair though (she always looks good, let's be real) so it will at least suit her.
GOD, me neither!!! i could never cut my hair that short. i'm so used to having kinda long hair. and oh god, redying bleached hair is a pain. i've just accepted i'll have blonde highlights for ever, at least i like how they look.,
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

I was watching Safiya's Insta stories the other day, and she mentioned that they'd filmed videos while in Japan. I'm assuming they've taste-tested something for Tyler's channel, but it'll be interesting to see what they've planned for Safiya's channel because as far as I know, it's difficult for many Western people to find clothes in Japan.

Does anyone have any guesses (or knowledge in case you follow Saf's social media accounts more closely than me)?
sparkle
blobfish

somethingsketchy wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 4:57 pm I was watching Safiya's Insta stories the other day, and she mentioned that they'd filmed videos while in Japan. I'm assuming they've taste-tested something for Tyler's channel, but it'll be interesting to see what they've planned for Safiya's channel because as far as I know, it's difficult for many Western people to find clothes in Japan.

Does anyone have any guesses (or knowledge in case you follow Saf's social media accounts more closely than me)?
considering Saf is tall I'd be amazed if she did a clothes video.

Maybe Japanese make-up? That would be cute, or something on Harajuku style I could see? Like in the vein of her 19X7 videos?
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
sonicgreen
woodland creature

Thoughts on Saf doing another "Wish" video? I'm a little frustrated that although she gives disclaimers about buying suspiciously cheap products online, she was still endorsing it in a way? Especially when this is her 4th Wish video, and just one of many different cheap sites she has tried…
(also wow I understand wanting to be frugal but there is no way in hell I would have tried any of those products on my skin.)
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

I definitely agree with you. I wasn't happy at all when I woke up and saw the notification. :roll: It was as well-executed as ever, but my enjoyment was greatly affected by the fact that I just couldn't shake the thought that she was putting something toxic on her face.

Looking back at Saf's recent videos, I'd say that she's due a 'questionable fashion choice' video soon. It's been a while since the platform Crocs. Based on what she said on Instagram on Monday (or Sunday), the next video might be one of those they filmed in Japan.
scientia
phabergé

Yeah I'm equally tired of the Wish videos. It does look like the initial 'ordering' stage of the video was filmed in February (was that when Wish videos were still blowing up?), so maybe she just didn't want the footage/orders to go to waste. Hoping for more unique ones soon! Do y'all think she will continue her Decades fashion videos?
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

@scientia: I really hope she'll do more decade videos because those were the ones that initially drew me to her. If she did a 1950s one I would even have a Safiya video to show to my mum because 1950s fashion is like her only hobby.
Birdie
blobfish

The Decade ones are my favourites too and I can see her going back to maybe the 1920s? I mean, she probably won't be able to recreate convincing Edwardian or Victorian looks (even though that would be extremely cool, but the effort is probably way too much) but 1920s should be possible and also loads of fun. I'd love to see her make more fashion history videos in general.

I really hope for some more original content from her in the future too. I love her but I'm not a big fan of the Wish videos or the "melting all my xy together" stuff.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

The new video cleansed my soul.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

Ah, @sparkle called that Saf would make a video about Harajuku fashion! I've really enjoyed the Japan videos so far. I wonder if the third one is going to be food-related or if they've filmed a food video for Tyler's channel.

sparkle
blobfish

somethingsketchy wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:49 pm Ah, @sparkle called that Saf would make a video about Harajuku fashion! I've really enjoyed the Japan videos so far. I wonder if the third one is going to be food-related or if they've filmed a food video for Tyler's channel.
I'm basically a YouTube prediction God at this point :bloom:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you