Hannah Hart

mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: she/her

I've been watching Hannah for years, and I like how passionate and intelligent she comes across. i'm not starting this thread to talk about any of her charitable endeavours or social conscience, as great as they are...(lol)

can we talk about her relationship with her current girlfriend and how it makes me so uncomfortable (at least what i can see of it on camera)? i won't say anything to start off as I don't wanna plant seeds, just curious if anyone else has been having internal opinions like me. hah.

as always, i love gossiping but keep it respectful etc.
art in avatar by lily
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

Ooo I haven’t watched her videos regularly in a long time. I haven’t seen anything with the new GF. Which vid would you recommend to see maybe what you are seeing?
Lain
eclipse shirt

I've been watching Hannah casually on and off for a few years (mostly the My Drunk Kitchen series which I stopped watching, along with my beloved Vaginal Fantasy r.i.p, when I was trying to sober up) but I've only seen a handful of her most recent videos, and only one of those featured her gf (I don't know enough about her to form much of an opinion except she cute):
I don't even think I made it through the video because I was probably busy at the time, but I do remember finding something a bit off with their chemistry? Which could be attributed to any number of things, I don't know. I do hope they're happy.

I might watch a few more of their videos together to see if my opinion has changed!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Lain wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:27 am I've been watching Hannah casually on and off for a few years (mostly the My Drunk Kitchen series which I stopped watching, along with my beloved Vaginal Fantasy r.i.p, when I was trying to sober up) but I've only seen a handful of her most recent videos, and only one of those featured her gf (I don't know enough about her to form much of an opinion except she cute):
I don't even think I made it through the video because I was probably busy at the time, but I do remember finding something a bit off with their chemistry? Which could be attributed to any number of things, I don't know. I do hope they're happy.

I might watch a few more of their videos together to see if my opinion has changed!
You're not wrong. Their chemistry is just.... weird. They almost don't even seem to like each other, but then again who am I to judge that? I know some people just have unique dynamics, and I like Hannah so mostly I do just hope they're happy as well.
scientia
phabergé

Oh I recognize her gf from buzzfeed! I'd be interested to see if anyone who watched her and Hannah saw if she acted the same in buzzfeed videos. maybe it's part of her shtick?
Lain
eclipse shirt

alittledizzy yeah, I re-watched the video that I linked and definitely agree that their chemistry is weird (almost artificial). There's something that doesn't seem natural about the way they interact, but maybe it's just not translating well in videos or maybe scientia is onto something and it's related to a buzzfeed persona.

mermaid blood why does their relationship make you uncomfortable? curiosity: piqued
kavat
pastel persona

Their chemistry isn't great, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and hoping it's because Ella's not as comfortable in front of the camera. The videos Hannah did with Ingrid when they were dating has a completely different vibe, but they are both very used to the format of unscripted youtube videos. I haven't seen any of her Buzzfeed stuff but I'm hoping that's it.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I might have a skewed view because the first time I watched Ella was on the project for awesome livestream - either she was a completely last minute sub in or she just really didn't want to be there because she complained about everything Hannah suggested they do (as a fundraiser for charity), didn't know how the livestream operated at all, and admitted later she'd read the wikipedia for it five minutes before it started. It made it a very awkward hour long viewing experience, and kind of the opposite of what you want when you're trying to entice people to donate.
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

^ :?
yeah, that sounds...disappointing.

scripted, buzzfeed persona etc makes sense, i admit I haven't watched Ella at all except maybe if she was in a few seconds of a buzzfeed video and i don't remember. i haven't been able to bring myself to seek her out. with that, though: you'd think a charity stream organised by the Green brothers you'd put in a certain amount of professionalism, even if you were unprepared. actual complaining is not a good look. do you remember what she complaining about dizzy?

i will clarify though that i don't dislike Ella personally, i feel neutral about her presence on camera. it's more their relationship that gives me frowny feelings?
MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:16 am Ooo I haven’t watched her videos regularly in a long time. I haven’t seen anything with the new GF. Which vid would you recommend to see maybe what you are seeing?
i'm going to hold on to my opinions a day longer because i do think it's the sort of thing that can sway your thinking, so i'll just say, in answer to your question, these are the relevant ones i've watched so far, and i watched them in this order:

1. the scorpio one that's already been linked

i ended up watching the two or three more they've done together after this and got the same feelings but the ones above are the ones that stood out.
art in avatar by lily
readingmama
dank meme

This discussion made me realize that I haven't been watching Hannah's videos lately so I went on a bit of a watching spree and I have to agree that there is a bit of an unsettling dynamic in their relationship.

At first I thought that maybe Ella is just not comfortable on camera but I dug deeper and she has been on Buzzfeed for a few years and is on camera so she is not camera shy- maybe its a bit of a control thing with scripted versus spontaneous?

For me there seems to be a bit of clashing personalities- Ella has a very immature, demanding and kinda "too cool for school and over it" vibe to her that is at odds with Hannah's optimistic, easy-going nature. I also think that Hannah is more experienced in the industry and some of what is jarring is when they are almost fighting for control- if that makes sense.

I hope that what we are picking up on is just them figuring out how to film together and hope that they have a happy relationship.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

mermaid blood wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:31 amscripted, buzzfeed persona etc makes sense, i admit I haven't watched Ella at all except maybe if she was in a few seconds of a buzzfeed video and i don't remember. i haven't been able to bring myself to seek her out. with that, though: you'd think a charity stream organised by the Green brothers you'd put in a certain amount of professionalism, even if you were unprepared. actual complaining is not a good look. do you remember what she complaining about dizzy?
Yeah - Hannah wanted Ella to tweet that she'd read hartbig fic out loud if they hit a certain mark of money raised during their hour on the livestream, Ella dragged her feet and whined that it would be too embarrassing and she didn't want to. I don't actually know that Ella ended up doing that or if she refused, I tuned it out for a while and only came back toward the end of their hour to see who was up next. I'm quite sure they didn't make enough money for Ella to have to make good on it though.

I also remember that Hannah went to introduce a video and Ella made a comment about not wanting to watch one - I'm assuming Ella just didn't realize that the videos were to promote charities and part of Hannah's job as host was to watch and talk about a few. Again, just a bit awkward and made Ella seem like she really was holding a grudge for even having to be involved. Hannah definitely had to do the heavy lifting there to try and make it seem like a fun and lighthearted thing they were enjoying doing together.
Lain
eclipse shirt

mermaid blood wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:31 am
MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:16 am Ooo I haven’t watched her videos regularly in a long time. I haven’t seen anything with the new GF. Which vid would you recommend to see maybe what you are seeing?
i'm going to hold on to my opinions a day longer because i do think it's the sort of thing that can sway your thinking, so i'll just say, in answer to your question, these are the relevant ones i've watched so far, and i watched them in this order:

i ended up watching the two or three more they've done together after this and got the same feelings but the ones above are the ones that stood out.

Wow, all of those videos made me uncomfortable (and I couldn't quite make it through the waxing one). I don't have time to reflect on exactly what it was that made me feel kind of gross, but what I know for sure is that like I Hannah a lot less in those videos. =| And whoever it was that said they don't seem to even like each other much, I came away from those videos feeling the same way. They're not giving off happy couple vibes at all, in my opinion.
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

mermaid blood wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:31 am
Five minutes late with some Starbucks, but I haven't watched the videos. I dont feel anything off with these videos, other than maybe a difference in what a video is meant to so. If Ella is only from Buzzfeed, and not old-school YouTube, she might just feel like a different type of video is bwing made? Like the waxing feels like from Hannah it was more of lets do this thing and then also this thing at the same time, while maybe Ella is focused on views? I feel like she said it anfew times in the first two videos at least. Can't remember the last one.

Not saying that what everyone is feeling isnt valid, i just feel like I'm seeing a pretty normal couple rather than an "OMG RELATIONSHIP GOALS" couple
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

i'm gonna rewatch tomorrow and try and remember some specific points in the videos i linked where i had a comment to make (typical me, disorganised lol) but it's all moments where they seem not in-tune with one another, in body language and affection (like, leaning away from each other's attempts?), but specifically where they seem irritated at one another's sensitivities? all said in a passive aggressive joking way, particularly from hannah ( @Lain, I feel you) which makes me uncomfortable because i don't think we've see that side of her before. the part about ella's body hair and hannah liking to wax made me super uncomfy. she also kind of patronised her about her hair and her shoes and what she wears, in another. but the part i found hardest to watch, in one of the videos they really laboured on the fact they fight a lot, and are often not on the same page about the fighting. and neither seemed that lighthearted about it, despite hannah nervously laughing a lot. which are alarm bells to me, in a relatively new relationship. also some comments about flirting and jealousy, from both sides in different vids. the most recent dinner one hannah made an awkward joke about doing things you don't really want to do when you're in a relationship (ella: 'like hang out with my family?'), there was ambiguity over when they started dating which makes it seem like a sore topic, and they admitted ella does the cooking even when she's tired and hannah has been home all day (working, but still). i was just like...omg where is the joy? they've not even been together 1? 2? years that we know of, this is the sort of awkward shit that would be showing on camera after a 10 year marriage where you've kinda fallen into bad habits with one another.

none of things above are a problem in and of themselves if they're happy, we all witness couples that we wouldn't personally want to be in, it doesn't mean it's toxic. it's more that 70% of their videos together are them criticising one another's traits/their own relationship in this awkward, jump-cutty, veiled way that makes me wonder why. is there not enough genuine good and delightful recorded at those times, to show that instead?
art in avatar by lily
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

their most recent video...i don't even know where to start. first 0.15 seconds alone.

my heart just sunk at hannah's lip waxing comment though.
art in avatar by lily
tigertatze
living flop

mermaid blood wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:56 pm their most recent video...i don't even know where to start. first 0.15 seconds alone.

is that the hair cutting one? I already noped out of that just looking at the thumbnail :?
#nohetero
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

tigertatze wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:07 pm
mermaid blood wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:56 pm their most recent video...i don't even know where to start. first 0.15 seconds alone.

is that the hair cutting one? I already noped out of that just looking at the thumbnail :?
yup. :?
another quote: (while holding up ella's hair) "your hair is...a lot. [frowns]"

i would think it was all one way and hannah was having her worst side brought out by this relationship, but her comment at the beginning (and in other videos) makes me wonder whether ella isn't just as critical but just off camera.
art in avatar by lily
tigertatze
living flop

mermaid blood wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:26 am
tigertatze wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:07 pm

yup. :?
another quote: (while holding up ella's hair) "your hair is...a lot. [frowns]"

i would think it was all one way and hannah was having her worst side brought out by this relationship, but her comment at the beginning (and in other videos) makes me wonder whether ella isn't just as critical but just off camera.
I feel like all their videos together are basically "here's what I don't like about you, let's change it" :?
#nohetero
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

right?! and i feel so pernickety for noticing but i'm still waiting for them to film a video that doesn't feature that overtone, or meta-discussion about their arguing. at this point i kinda want to see them in a larger collab to see how they are together around other people.
art in avatar by lily
scientia
phabergé

I liked Hannah's series with the Try Guys a lot! This one has Zach in it, who seems like a good friend of Ella's. The vibe was slightly off but I could be reading into things :shrug:
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

i liked them too! it made me want to watch a bit more Try Guys because i love friendship chemistry, it's my favourite dynamic.

the straight dudes comments didn't really make sense to me though. they were acting exciteable and tipsy in the same way hannah and many of her guests do in most episodes? i didn't notice anything particularly dude-y about it. i generally like 'i don't spend that much time with straight dudes' comments though because it's #relatable
art in avatar by lily
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

7:19 where Hannah mentions opening their relationship and Ella's shaking her head.......... awkward? Awkward, imo.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

I used to really like Hannah but somehow the way she behaves around Ella and how their relationship seems to play out makes me like her less. Ella doesn't seem like such a great person herself (on camera of course, don't know her in real life, can't judge of course) but Hannah seems to criticise her a lot and I'm just seeing a lot of red flags. What @alittledizzy mentioned is one of them. Watching them together puts me on edge, I don't even know.
scientia
phabergé

I hadn't seen this here yet! I'm happy for Hannah (and honestly a bit surprised).

I also just realized she did an interview with People about it too:

https://people.com/tv/hannah-hart-engag ... lniczenko/
kavat
pastel persona

Can we have a moment of silence for me, because I am dead.

The video with Patrick is amazing. I want a framed print of her in the green look.