The Rest of the Foursome

fancybum
senpai

iero wrote:great almost 4 hour stream i hope he does them more often bc i enjoy watching him throw subtle shade for hours
I'd like to put in a vote for 'more often, but shorter' because damn. I just started making soup halfway through because I no longer have the will to go shopping or be productive.
4 hours :lol: , imagine if Dan stayed on that long. If Phil tried it he'd just drop dead 65 minutes in.

My highlights from his 'giving advice' section:

chat: My math teacher bullies me
-Are you a little bit stupid?
-Next time your math teacher bullies you, go and hit them with a stick and tell them crabstickz told you to.

"You math bastard. 2 + 2 = fuck you"

chat: Any tips/tricks for taking exams?
-I left school at 28, never taken an exam since, apart from my wizardry exam. Which I'm not allowed to talk about because it's about the magic world and you don't know about that because you're a muggle. Do I have any tips? No. Do your revision and answer the questions correctly. The rest of your life does not hinge on it, ok?

chat: Advice on turning 18?
-Don't hit people. Don't hit anyone.

chat: I'm addicted to self-harming and I have no one to talk to
-Um... I don't know what you should do. There's probably somewhere online that has advice... Talk to one of them websites that is about that.
-To people in the chat who are struggling, you can do it, be strong.

Then he browsed through YT videos and talked about how he needed to leave for like 15 minutes.
"I just need to go, but I can't. The problem is you're all validating me with your attention. And as long as you're validating me with attention, I'm trapped here. So if you could please stop validating me, then I shall go."

He said he'd go on again tomorrow, we'll see. So creepy, but honestly I just want to give him an uncomfortably long hug. Like maybe neverending.

edit: a good quote from earlier in the show (about how he doesn't really read comments because he thinks it's bad for you): "Like sugar, it gives you a little kick, but over time it rots your ass."
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
hunnyftw
phabergé

thank you, fancybum

I don't believe he'll be live again today but let's wait and see, maybe he'll prove me wrong.

Some of his one-liners are just great. The ones about comments rotting your ass over time or about the liveshow peeps giving him validation are pure gold. I love this kind of very dark humour, even though it also makes me just a liiitle bit worried for him ;)
iero
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

double post
Last edited by iero on Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iero
phabergé

hunnyftw wrote:thank you, fancybum

I don't believe he'll be live again today but let's wait and see, maybe he'll prove me wrong.

Some of his one-liners are just great. The ones about comments rotting your ass over time or about the liveshow peeps giving him validation are pure gold. I love this kind of very dark humour, even though it also makes me just a liiitle bit worried for him ;)
he's live right now
hunnyftw
phabergé

Haha, I love to be proven wrong this way. Now D&P please prove me wrong with my theory that you can't post more than 4 videos a month on all of your channels combined

I needed something to listen to while doing my makeup. That's my plan for the next 20minutes sorted :D
jess
living flop

I just went to watch the one from yesterday, but I was pleasantly surprised to find he's live now!
fancybum
senpai

I hate 'guesting' on younow oh god it's so awkward and uncomfortable I'm dying.
iero
phabergé

i'm cringing sm i keep muting the sound lol
nothing against the people guesting i just can't deal with awkward conversation
jess
living flop

fancybum wrote:I hate 'guesting' on younow oh god it's so awkward and uncomfortable I'm dying.
You need to guest with Chris on YouNow! :lol: Please!
fancybum
senpai

iero wrote:i'm cringing sm i keep muting the sound lol
nothing against the people guesting i just can't deal with awkward conversation
Same! I had another window in front of it and kept flicking the sound on/off. I can't deal with it.
jess wrote:
fancybum wrote:I hate 'guesting' on younow oh god it's so awkward and uncomfortable I'm dying.
You need to guest with Chris on YouNow! :lol: Please!
No! I'd get so nervous I would start blurting out all the questions I really want to know the answers to that would be all kinds of boundary-crossing. :shock: Also I would probs barf.
jess
living flop

fancybum wrote: No! I'd get so nervous I would start blurting out all the questions I really want to know the answers to that would be all kinds of boundary-crossing. :shock: Also I would probs barf.
Let's be honest, he'd probably love all of that! This is Chris we're talking about. :D

& now he's gone. It has become the "Will Chris actually be back tomorrow?" waiting game!
fancybum
senpai

jess wrote:
fancybum wrote: No! I'd get so nervous I would start blurting out all the questions I really want to know the answers to that would be all kinds of boundary-crossing. :shock: Also I would probs barf.
Let's be honest, he'd probably love all of that! This is Chris we're talking about. :D

& now he's gone. It has become the "Will Chris actually be back tomorrow?" waiting game!
Well if he does turn up again tomorrow and I'm home at the time... maybe... I'll have to up my makeup game though :lol:

The interaction is nice, but also a little worrying. If he's got 2-4 hours a day to kill talking to a camera, he should film it for YT since he's not making any money off of younow. But maybe he's somewhat serious with the 'brainstorming' aspect of it and is just using it to warm up a little. How serious is he about having no friends? He seems to swing back and forth between resenting his audience and being appreciative of them but doesn't trust their reasoning for enjoying him (constantly asking why people are even watching the stream). Does he do the same with real people in his life? I hope he's not as isolated as he appears to be..
jess
living flop

fancybum wrote: Well if he does turn up again tomorrow and I'm home at the time... maybe... I'll have to up my makeup game though :lol:
I really want this to happen!
fancybum wrote: The interaction is nice, but also a little worrying. If he's got 2-4 hours a day to kill talking to a camera, he should film it for YT since he's not making any money off of younow. But maybe he's somewhat serious with the 'brainstorming' aspect of it and is just using it to warm up a little. How serious is he about having no friends? He seems to swing back and forth between resenting his audience and being appreciative of them but doesn't trust their reasoning for enjoying him (constantly asking why people are even watching the stream). Does he do the same with real people in his life? I hope he's not as isolated as he appears to be..
He really does not seem to know what he wants to do with his life or career... & he seems to have been in limbo for quite some time now. When he asked the girl who her favorite YouTubers were, I pretty much felt like he wanted her to say , PJ, etc. because he thinks no on watches him for him & he kinda almost wants people to validate that for him for whatever reason. I actually find him fascinating all on his own; completely outside the foursome ish. But I also have a serious weakness for brutally honest yet sarcastic as fuck, broken people... which is what Chris reads like a majority of the time.
felucca
truth bomb

So I made a condensed 30 minute version of the 4 hour liveshow:

Only caught the start of today's liveshow but if what he said in it pans out and he actually does liveshows every day for a while now, that'd be really cool. If I KNEW he'd be on I'd totally do what he said and go hang out there whenever I didn't have anything better to do, or keep him on as background noise while cooking and cleaning etc.

(I'd timestamp the interesting parts of the above video for y'all but I'm soooooo sick of it, kill me.)
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

:dh:
fancybum
senpai

felucca wrote:So I made a condensed 30 minute version of the 4 hour liveshow:

Yay the math quote made it in! His delivery is everything.

I think I did a long waffle on gg about this semi-recently re: his 2013 liveshow, but it always stands out to me (then and now) the way he talks about Dan. I know it's because people keep bringing him up, but he doesn't ever have much to say about Phil (and his PJ comments seem more like he's just joking about a friend), but with Dan... I feel like he's fixated on him in a different way that sometimes verges on jealousy or maybe even annoyance. Like he's got a history of kind of teasing Dan (like using the banana licking photo in his videos back in the day)- but bringing up "the Dan face" and his subscriber count (when they're not actually in touch anymore so it's not like it's just friendly ribbing) feels like something else but I don't quite know what. Does he resent Dan's success or even just him as a person? And if it's one, it's both, since Phil mostly shares the same success, but he's left out of the discussion. I would love to hear if anybody has any thoughts on that, but also feel free to tell me I'm crazy or overthinking it.
iero
phabergé

fancybum wrote:
I think I did a long waffle on gg about this semi-recently re: his 2013 liveshow, but it always stands out to me (then and now) the way he talks about Dan. I know it's because people keep bringing him up, but he doesn't ever have much to say about Phil (and his PJ comments seem more like he's just joking about a friend), but with Dan... I feel like he's fixated on him in a different way that sometimes verges on jealousy or maybe even annoyance. Like he's got a history of kind of teasing Dan (like using the banana licking photo in his videos back in the day)- but bringing up "the Dan face" and his subscriber count (when they're not actually in touch anymore so it's not like it's just friendly ribbing) feels like something else but I don't quite know what. Does he resent Dan's success or even just him as a person? And if it's one, it's both, since Phil mostly shares the same success, but he's left out of the discussion. I would love to hear if anybody has any thoughts on that, but also feel free to tell me I'm crazy or overthinking it.
this crossed my mind during the streams also. i've not watched his 2013 liveshow but i noticed it in the recent ones. i sensed trying to hide envy with humour. i find it strange he joked about dan when they don't really talk anymore and he doesn't have his number, like he said. if that's the case it's strange how he didn't really mention phil as much

i feel like he's doubting himself and constantly comparing himself to others in these liveshows? like even when he's jokingly comparing his instagram likes to pj's

thank you felucca
wtfamidoinghere
lady door

Maybe he used to identify more with Dan, because Dan is also self reflective with a tendency to isolate himself. He (Dan) talked very open about his existential crisis that came with insecurity about where his life was going and not really knowing what he wanted. Since Chris still seems like he doesn't really know what he wants, maybe he envies Dan because he thinks Dan got over that and now has a direction/purpose.
That would explain why he's more envious of Dan than Phil or Pj. If you thought someone similar to you at some point and that person then moves on but you don't, that's harder to stomach imo.

That's what came to my mind when i read you posts. But i'm probably way off, because i'm just a casual Chris viewer
fancybum
senpai

He's live again! (and Alfie Deyes was watching for a bit lol)
edit: he's simultaneously live on youtube too
felucca
truth bomb

Omg I just woke up and he's on!

And yeah I agree about Dan, it's... interesting. He did say in his ask.fm he didn't even really know Dan ever. Which makes sense, seeing as PJ introduced him to Phil and Phil introduced him to Dan, so Dan's three degrees of separation from him.

^who made this? it's excellent
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

:dh:
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

felucca wrote:Omg I just woke up and he's on!

And yeah I agree about Dan, it's... interesting. He did say in his ask.fm he didn't even really know Dan ever. Which makes sense, seeing as PJ introduced him to Phil and Phil introduced him to Dan, so Dan's three degrees of separation from him.

^who made this? it's excellent
meee :platonic:
i don't think i've posted in this tread before so here's a mini opinion: i can/want to/sometimes like chris. i think he can be amazing and im sympathetic because he's obviously struggling/struggled with some things, but i worry he crosses a line sometimes that makes me uncomfortable as a viewers. there's an honestly that makes you uncomfortable but you like it because it's refreshing and interesting and captivating, but for me now and then (in the last couple of years) he's gone past that and it's a genuine uncomfortable feeling. i wish him well, enjoy some of his stuff still and look forward to content, but i find his attitude off putting at times. his spoof dance film trailer still makes me cry laughing
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
fancybum
senpai

felucca wrote:Omg I just woke up and he's on!

It's kind of funny that he's friends with Jimmy0010, and I get the same vibe from him about Dan. Jimmy likes Phil but is kind of dismissive about Dan (like when he & Charlie read out The Urge for that charity livestream), which probably is just because Dan is more closed off to strangers and they take that personally? I wonder if they all shit-talk him a bit in private.
wtfamidoinghere wrote:Maybe he used to identify more with Dan, because Dan is also self reflective with a tendency to isolate himself. He (Dan) talked very open about his existential crisis that came with insecurity about where his life was going and not really knowing what he wanted. Since Chris still seems like he doesn't really know what he wants, maybe he envies Dan because he thinks Dan got over that and now has a direction/purpose.
That would explain why he's more envious of Dan than Phil or Pj. If you thought someone similar to you at some point and that person then moves on but you don't, that's harder to stomach imo.
That's really interesting. He has kind of indicated in the past that he's a bit jealous of what D&P have, so maybe he's envious that Dan had somebody to help him out (or just generally be supportive) in a way that Chris didn't.
jess
living flop

Thank you for the recap, felucca. I probably would have never watched the entire first one.

He is quickly becoming my favorite background noise at work. Thank you, Chris!
aralik
sad dimple

I don't know Chris too much, only from what i've read here basically. i have his younow on in the background at the moment and he's talking about how humans put everything on the internet and also are working on developing robots and artificial intelligence. he went down a dark road of seriously (and calmly) explaining how robots are one day gonna get really intelligent and capable of understanding emotions and will realize humans are bad for the world and will kill us all. the whole logic and reasoning was there and i could not help but agree. this does not help my recent "constantly questioning what the point of life is" period. :roll:
ugh.
fancybum
senpai

I think this was the best stream yet, he seemed more comfortable/positive.

Timestamps I took note of:
1:06: talking about self help books
"more often than not, it has to go through your own perception filter of who you are and your rituals that you're stuck with in your head. You've actually got to change within"
"You must eat them" to consume their power

1:16: spent a lot of uni wasting time because his grants gave him more money than necessary for just school, so he's used to (trained to) waste his time - owes a lot of money still (student loans). It was good because he met friends, but if he could do it over, he wouldn't bother.
"the only good thing that came out of it was I was so bored I started YT"
Lots of school talk

1:25:30 read from the chat "sit on this dick" and starts laughing

1:27 "I know you guys have noticed I don't do a lot of YT stuff, but it overwhelms me; there's a lot of pressure to make it funny and good. But I still want to do acting and be funny - it's easier to do that in somebody else's thing (like Friend Like Me)."
Very complicated and tiring doing it himself. Good to take a break, but wants to come back. YouNow is helping him: reason he started was it would be nice to have something to do, he doesn't know where he'll go with it.

2:22 checking his YT analytics:
"If you are wary/knowledgeable of who your audience is, you start to make content for that audience instead of yourself so it's not great to look at it. If you're a business you want to know about your audience-- to write books, I don't know, it's all very complicated"

18% male audience ("82% are the other one"): "there's some boys watching me, it doesn't really matter but it's always an interesting thing to think about. Why do girls like me so much? I know the answer, it's obvious."
(This part pissed me off as it always does when he thinks fangirls are only watching him because they think he's attractive. Who the hell is going to waste 4 hours on somebody for looks alone. Looking at a pic would be more efficient, but ok whatever)

2:26:20 "My most viewed video is the Geek Week special- because it's got Dan and Phil in it. Fact! Which I'm fine with!"

3:07:40: what do dan and phil smell like?
"Weirdly they smell exactly like each other [even though they're different people]" (maybe? laggy here)

3:32:40: are you still bisexual?
"I mean, does anybody ever stop being bisexual? It's not something that I can imagine changing. I think most of the big changes with sexuality happen when you're quite young; once you're in your 20s, you're quite sold."
And then ended with a 'bet you can't draw':
which he also posted on instagram. Good times.
hunnyftw
phabergé

fancybum wrote: Timestamps I took note of:
1:06: talking about self help books
"more often than not, it has to go through your own perception filter of who you are and your rituals that you're stuck with in your head. You've actually got to change within"
I guess I'm a lucky person because I literally listened to him only for two minutes today and I managed to catch exactly this moment Seriously. I agree with him so so much on this, especially on the bolded part.

wtfamidoinghere, I also see Dan and Chris as having many similar tendencies, especially when it comes to their selfcriticism. So to me your take on it all seems very interesting and I don't think you're "way off" at all