Emma Blackery

dancy
procrastinator

000dia000 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:23 pm I thought her video was interesting, I can see where's she coming from and I don't think there's anything wrong with making a video on something that bothered her. I bet she's probably trying to deal with going from a YouTube pre-2014 that was considerably smaller, and she was a notable female creator where there wasn't as much competition. Now that, as she said, there's apparently over 2000 channels with plus one-million subs, it's a miracle she'd get a frame at all compared to many other content creators who have been on the platform for years but wouldn't get a place. Probably going from being noteworthy to get a single frame in a blink-and-you-miss-it moment just probably feels kind of shit, so I can sympathize with that. Also, the whole day sounded terrible, and just poor management from YouTube's perspective. I can see why people find her entitled but really who cares? It's her livelihood, she should bitch about it if she wants. It's her job to make videos on the platform, and if she's using her platform to add to the complaints then what makes her any different than every other creator. Smh. In all regards, it's a good video, and kind of goes to show what the platform is like. And if it was Dan or Phil that were the "big content creators" I'd actually believe it, they'd probably play dumb and let themselves be fawned over (that's if of course, it is them, and they were on the same shoot).

Still, I don't know why she think she's doing herself any favours bringing up pewdiepie or Marzia. Marzia has never been in a YouTube rewind. Ever. So stop making it out as if she's doomed by "association". And I'm not very sympathetic for pewdiepie not being in YouTube rewind when he's said slurs, done crappy shit, and has made himself out to be a victim. I know Emma lurks here sometimes, but sorry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the shit stops there
I agree with a lot of what you've said!

I thought the video was interesting and I wasn't bothered by her attitude at all tbh. It's understandable that this whole ordeal was upsetting to her and she has a right to complain about it. I don't think everything has to be incredibly professional, especially not when you're genuinely bothered by something (and it's obvious she's quite an emotional person) and you're not directly speaking to your higher-ups.

But yeah, her bringing up Felix and Marzia was unnecessary and as far as I know, Marzia has never even been in YT Rewind before, so I don't understand how that's suddenly relevant?
000dia000
emo goose

dancy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:28 pm But yeah, her bringing up Felix and Marzia was unnecessary and as far as I know, Marzia has never even been in YT Rewind before, so I don't understand how that's suddenly relevant?
She's always one to defend friends or even jump into their arguments and fights, even if it has nothing to do with her. In some way, she's probably a good ally to have if you need someone to back you up, but starting fights like she has done before probably does more harm than good in the long run. The pewds/marzia thing has no direct relation to her, but she probably feels that she has some responsibility.
:cactus:
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

I find some of what she is complaining about quite silly. I mean i get that it sucks to not feel as important but what was she expecting, the truth is they are consistently more popular on YouTube.

Of course YT has a list of what shots to get including some that have to be gifable. That is pretty much the point of rewind.

The fact is they were separate to the group shot so they didn't need to be there the whole day. It's like with actors, you have some which have higher billing for any number of reasons from talent, through to promo and successful management teams.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

000dia000 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:23 pm Still, I don't know why she think she's doing herself any favours bringing up pewdiepie or Marzia. Marzia has never been in a YouTube rewind. Ever. So stop making it out as if she's doomed by "association". And I'm not very sympathetic for pewdiepie not being in YouTube rewind when he's said slurs, done crappy shit, and has made himself out to be a victim. I know Emma lurks here sometimes, but sorry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the shit stops there
How do we know Emma lurks here? I've seen people mention it before but I wasn't around whenever it was first a thing so I've always wondered what happened. Sorry if I'm bring up old news lol
"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue:
kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

One thing I thought was a bit odd was that she put that video on her main channel. She has Vloggery which she has used for longer, more opinionated and rambly videos before, but she chose to put this on Emma Blackery. For someone who tries to build a music carrier from Youtube it's a bit risky to put a video like that so out in the open. Who want's to invite her to anything ever again after that? I wouldn't invite her to an event or show of any kind because of the risk of being "called out" publicly like that. I'm sure Rewind has their issues but the way she chose to deal with it is not very mature or professional, in my opinion.
obvsly
#relatable

Even though I was annoyed at quite a few points in Emma's video, I think the way YouTube doesn't pay creators featured in the video is disgusting. I'm glad she brought that up. Earlier today I just found this tweet by Let Me Explain Studio that is just painful. (Sorry to put it here but I think it's quite relevant.)
She ultimately got the monetisation back but hello? The YT algorithm is so fucked up somewhere.

Back to Emma though. Many points she's trying to make are definitely valid, but her pettiness puts me off so much. Saying 'time management on set was crap' is good and true, but saying 'don't lay call sheets around everywhere for other people to see' ...really? Your ego feeling's hurt that easily? The crew probably needed to refer to those call sheets in order to do their work? Ugh. I can go on but that might mean I'm being petty too. :lol:
citizen_erased
truth bomb

I watched this video last night but was too exhausted to really form any coherent opinions about it, so here are some of the things I remember the day after.

Honestly, I generally like Emma, I think her videos are funny and interesting and I've enjoyed watching her for the last couple of years. But this video, to me, sounded mostly like she was incredibly butthurt about not being the Most Important Person.

I agree that YT puts way too many people in Rewind, and that it hasn't been good in several years now. I liked her idea of making a couple of different ones for different communities, highlighting local YT'ers, memes and music. To me that sounds like a great solution, though I can imagine a lot of difficulties with it as well.

I haven't seen this year's Rewind yet, but it does sound hilarious that they went from "the world is amazing if we all just hold hands!" to "yay fidget spinners!" like wow, feel free to actually address big issues, YouTube :lol:

That said though, "I had to spend an entire day for 2 seconds of screentime". Yes??? And super famous actors spend 3 months filming a movie of 2 hours? Film sets are known for their notorious waiting times, there's a reason there are so many pranks played on sets and why people fall asleep in full costume & make-up all the time. It's because filming - as she honestly should know, why is she complaining about this - takes an immense amount of time. Honestly, her complaining about this bugged me by far the most. Yes, YouTube should've communicated clearer, and people should absolutely be getting some kind of compensation for the time they're putting in, and there are tons of issues with the Rewind videos, but waiting time is not one of them. "I was bored out of my mind", idk man, bring a book or like, a pack of playing cards and sit down with all the other bored people?

Generally, I think Emma makes a couple of really good points YouTube should definitely work with, including the sheer amount of creators involved, the lack of compensation for the people that work on this video, the lack of addressing real issues affecting actual lives, etc. Emma's obviously had a great year, and she should definitely be proud of that. But she also does sound jealous and entitled, and like she expected to be the grand star of the day and she hasn't dealt well with that not being the case.

Finally, something about complaining about YouTube, on YouTube, is hilarious to me.
000dia000
emo goose

KatjaZoe wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:24 am
000dia000 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:23 pm Still, I don't know why she think she's doing herself any favours bringing up pewdiepie or Marzia. Marzia has never been in a YouTube rewind. Ever. So stop making it out as if she's doomed by "association". And I'm not very sympathetic for pewdiepie not being in YouTube rewind when he's said slurs, done crappy shit, and has made himself out to be a victim. I know Emma lurks here sometimes, but sorry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the shit stops there
How do we know Emma lurks here? I've seen people mention it before but I wasn't around whenever it was first a thing so I've always wondered what happened. Sorry if I'm bring up old news lol
She posted a couple of times on her gg page, and she mentioned IDB so yay fun times

I hear where people are coming from saying she's entitled or egotistical, but she literally says that in her video, at least she's self-aware lol. She's not the only one to be upset, so that's a good thing, it's different if she was the only one that was calling YouTube out. LetMeExplainStudios certainly got the short end of the stick (side note: I subscribed when they had like 15K subs wow they came a long way real quick) so they certainly suffered a lot more. To be fair, even though their part is at the end and YouTube screwed them over, I have a feeling that a lot more people would be interesting checking them over the hundreds of other YouTubers so I hope they get a boost in subscribers.
kavat
pastel persona

Maybe OT:
Meghan Tonjes just made a video on the subject of Rewind:

She has a lot of good points and talks about it very calmly and level headed. I like her point of YT being a platform, not your best friend, and how being in a creative industry doesn't always mean you can make a living out of it.
obvsly
#relatable

000dia000 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:13 pm I hear where people are coming from saying she's entitled or egotistical, but she literally says that in her video, at least she's self-aware lol.
That is exactly why Emma's video annoyed me so much. lol Saying that once or twice is understandable. But at the 78th time? It started to feel like, Well you're just saying that so the people who would rightfully call you out on it seem like a jerk who didn't pay attention. :lol:

I'd like to quote @malday from the main dnp forum here:
malday wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:07 pm off-topic but adding to the yotubers who talked about the issues, Jacksepticeye also made a video speaking his mind on the matter (he's also one who actually turned down being in rewind this year):
starting at 5:40
This. This is how you do it. They pitched you an idea but you didn't like it so you said no to doing it. Jack didn't ask his management to write youtube an email asking for a bigger part because "2017 was such a big year for her him." (Youtube was shitty too for basically giving her a false hope.) Jack said no and explained why calmly and ended it with, "Hey this is all subjective." Ah well I'll stop now. :shrug:
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

kavat wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:27 pm Maybe OT:
Meghan Tonjes just made a video on the subject of Rewind:

She has a lot of good points and talks about it very calmly and level headed. I like her point of YT being a platform, not your best friend, and how being in a creative industry doesn't always mean you can make a living out of it.
That’s a really good take on it. Thanks for the video- I like her.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
pearshaped34
morning quiff

The irony that by ranting about how there is nothing to be gained from featuring in rewind Emma has actually made youtube rewind the best thing to happen to her youtube career this year (if not longer).

Her video on it not only her highest viewed video in about two years but even the follow-up video talking about it has pulled in over 500K which less than a handful of her other videos this year have managed.
And shes gained some big increases in subs, according to Socialblade one day she gained over 20K and for a youtuber who'd been losing subs monthly in the months previous to that that is a massive gain in a day.

She should make a video thanking them for giving her material on a relevant topic to make a successful video with in her next video.
000dia000
emo goose

pearshaped34 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:45 pm The irony that by ranting about how there is nothing to be gained from featuring in rewind Emma has actually made youtube rewind the best thing to happen to her youtube career this year (if not longer).

Her video on it not only her highest viewed video in about two years but even the follow-up video talking about it has pulled in over 500K which less than a handful of her other videos this year have managed.
And shes gained some big increases in subs, according to Socialblade one day she gained over 20K and for a youtuber who'd been losing subs monthly in the months previous to that that is a massive gain in a day.

She should make a video thanking them for giving her material on a relevant topic to make a successful video with in her next video.
Basically addressing anything that's a popular discussion (YouTube Rewind, in this case) to rant about and have a circle jerk with other people that hate something, will have that effect. Wasn't her initial breakout video a song bitching about Google+? But yeah, at least she'll attract people that would like her tone and choice in humour, I suppose. They know what to expect.
fancybum
senpai

So does anybody have any opinions on her deleting her social media and starting over from scratch? Deleting her tweets, wow, she really can’t not copy Dan, can she? (Kidding). But if I was actually a fan I’d be a bit miffed about it, just deleting years of history like that. As not a fan (in the traditional sense) my main opinion is: why is her insta all sideways? That’s.. quite a choice, but sure, ok.

Obligatory: deleting everything you once were doesn’t actually delete everything you once were. But whatever, symbolism, new beginnings, starting over, fine (how thematically relevant to the main thread convo about Dan’s rebranding). Hope her Taylor Swift inspired album about betrayal by hamster turns out to be not garbage, wouldn’t that be something.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fancybum wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:13 pm So does anybody have any opinions on her deleting her social media and starting over from scratch? Deleting her tweets, wow, she really can’t not copy Dan, can she? (Kidding). But if I was actually a fan I’d be a bit miffed about it, just deleting years of history like that. As not a fan (in the traditional sense) my main opinion is: why is her insta all sideways? That’s.. quite a choice, but sure, ok.

Obligatory: deleting everything you once were doesn’t actually delete everything you once were. But whatever, symbolism, new beginnings, starting over, fine (how thematically relevant to the main thread convo about Dan’s rebranding). Hope her Taylor Swift inspired album about betrayal by hamster turns out to be not garbage, wouldn’t that be something.
yeah I've got a gripe with it cause she's causing us a whole hell of a lot of work trying to hunt down things we had sourced to her in our FAQs that we need alternate 'proof' actually happened now.

At least Dan only fake-deleted shit, most of his are still there if you search. I'm assuming hers are totally gone.
000dia000
emo goose

well fuckkk, I guess she just really wanted to start over from scratch, and maybe not have people dig up on her for "proof" of things she's said, or at least make it much harder. I think it's bold, but might actually work in her favour if she wants to rebrand herself
or completely sweep her past under the rug
. I checked out her twitter, and it just seems to be spotify related things for music :shrug: has she rebranded as a musician again?
fancybum
senpai

000dia000 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:22 pm well fuckkk, I guess she just really wanted to start over from scratch, and maybe not have people dig up on her for "proof" of things she's said, or at least make it much harder. I think it's bold, but might actually work in her favour if she wants to rebrand herself
. I checked out her twitter, and it just seems to be spotify related things for music :shrug: has she rebranded as a musician again?
Yup! She wants to use that Apple Music thing to her advantage (would’ve been a waste not to) and she’s working on a full album which she’s said is inspired by Taylor Swift’s Reputation. So: being petty and dragging people through song. Which I’m not against in theory (because I’m also clearly petty af), but she’s also said the songs will be about fake friends and snakes and whatever (paraphrasing because these were tweets. that are now deleted). So like.. basically just Hazel and Jack..? Seems like thin material but I guess it’s not the size of the slight, but the size of the grudge. And she can clearly hold a huge grudge, so who knows. Insulting a dead pet, stealing a backup dancer, I guess the levels of manufactured pettiness for album material aren’t so far off.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
000dia000
emo goose

fancybum wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:40 pm
000dia000 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:22 pm well fuckkk, I guess she just really wanted to start over from scratch, and maybe not have people dig up on her for "proof" of things she's said, or at least make it much harder. I think it's bold, but might actually work in her favour if she wants to rebrand herself
Yup! She wants to use that Apple Music thing to her advantage (would’ve been a waste not to) and she’s working on a full album which she’s said is inspired by Taylor Swift’s Reputation. So: being petty and dragging people through song. Which I’m not against in theory (because I’m also clearly petty af), but she’s also said the songs will be about fake friends and snakes and whatever (paraphrasing because these were tweets. that are now deleted). So like.. basically just Hazel and Jack..? Seems like thin material but I guess it’s not the size of the slight, but the size of the grudge. And she can clearly hold a huge grudge, so who knows. Insulting a dead pet, stealing a backup dancer, I guess the levels of manufactured pettiness for album material aren’t so far off.
I think her music utilises a lot of yelling so idk the concept may just work
kavat
pastel persona

000dia000 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:02 pm
fancybum wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:40 pm
I think her music utilises a lot of yelling so idk the concept may just work
She has also said that she's changing her style. The new music is apparently less pop punk and more pure pop. I'm interested in seeing what that means, maybe trying to appeal to a wider audience (as pop punk has been out of fashion for quite a while).

Emma seems to be going trough this "new year new me" thing about twice a year. I'm worried that this is just another phase that she's going to regret. She has mentioned earlier that it's something she's aware of and is an issue in her life, that she never really knows what's truly genuine to her, can't stick to anything and just copies others. That's why she's gone through so many side channels, video styles, hair styles. She mentioned how her Instagram theme started looking moore and more like her friend's when they started hanging out more, and how her videos were inspired by others (she didnt mention names but it was implied that she ment Dan and Felix).

She keeps talking now about how this is the most genuine Emma yet, and I really hope so for her own sake. Feeling the need to reinvent yourself that often must be exhausting.
Ablissa
pastel persona

I'm not a fan of Emma or her music, but I'm curious about something - how big a boost did that Apple Music thing really give her? I mean, I know for a fairly unknown artist it must be huge, but I looked on youtube a few weeks ago, and her songs still had rather low views. What really changed for her with this?
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

Okay but can she maybe someday make music that’s not „inspired by“ aka copied from someone else? At least she admits to it but it’s still not cute. I don’t know if she’s just not found her own style yet or what this is about but I wish she’d just do her own thing and stop basing it on what other more popular musicians do. We’re not gonna get genuine Emma Blackery if she’s basing her stuff around someone else’s style. And a pure pop album about fake friends inspired by Taylor’s “Reputation” is pretty much that and not all too genuine.
sparkle
blobfish

kavat wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:13 am Emma seems to be going trough this "new year new me" thing about twice a year. I'm worried that this is just another phase that she's going to regret. She has mentioned earlier that it's something she's aware of and is an issue in her life, that she never really knows what's truly genuine to her, can't stick to anything and just copies others. That's why she's gone through so many side channels, video styles, hair styles. She mentioned how her Instagram theme started looking moore and more like her friend's when they started hanging out more, and how her videos were inspired by others (she didnt mention names but it was implied that she ment Dan and Felix).

She keeps talking now about how this is the most genuine Emma yet, and I really hope so for her own sake. Feeling the need to reinvent yourself that often must be exhausting.
Did I imagine it or doesn't Emma have BPD. Having no sense of self (and therefore constantly reinventing yourself or being influenced by other people more than you'd expect) is one of the 7 diagnostic criteria for BPD. Therefore i'm saddened, but never surprised, when she reinvents herself so frequently.

I am gutted though that she's deleted Birdy Boots, I genuinely fucking loved the Sims series she did on there. And I always want her to collaborate more with Dan (as in NerdCubed) because :stan:
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
kavat
pastel persona

sparkle wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:23 pm
kavat wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:13 am Emma seems to be going trough this "new year new me" thing about twice a year. I'm worried that this is just another phase that she's going to regret. She has mentioned earlier that it's something she's aware of and is an issue in her life, that she never really knows what's truly genuine to her, can't stick to anything and just copies others. That's why she's gone through so many side channels, video styles, hair styles. She mentioned how her Instagram theme started looking moore and more like her friend's when they started hanging out more, and how her videos were inspired by others (she didnt mention names but it was implied that she ment Dan and Felix).

Did I imagine it or doesn't Emma have BPD. Having no sense of self (and therefore constantly reinventing yourself or being influenced by other people more than you'd expect) is one of the 7 diagnostic criteria for BPD. Therefore i'm saddened, but never surprised, when she reinvents herself so frequently.

I am gutted though that she's deleted Birdy Boots, I genuinely fucking loved the Sims series she did on there. And I always want her to collaborate more with Dan (as in NerdCubed) because :stan:
Oh yeah right, I remember that now that you mention it. She talked about it but I don't know if she ever got it diagnosed or confirmed it publicly? Not that she has to, obvs.

I've only seen Dan in the vloglog videos they did together and he didn't strike me as a nice or sympathetic person. Are his own videos different? Should I give him a chance?
sparkle
blobfish

kavat wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:28 am
I've only seen Dan in the vloglog videos they did together and he didn't strike me as a nice or sympathetic person. Are his own videos different? Should I give him a chance?
Dans not a vlogger, he's primarily a gaming channel though he has a side channel where he does other things too. If you don't like things like that you're not going to like him. Also bear in mind he and Emma are quite good friends, and have been for years, so a lot of what makes him come across as rude etc is literally just the banter they have in their friendship. He also plays up a LOT to the camera, Dan Hardcastle and NerdCubed are the same person, but they're definitely not the same personality. I would highly recommend him, as I do find him hilarious, but i'm aware he's fairly niche.
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
onetruetrash
blobfish

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:52 pm
fancybum wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:13 pm So does anybody have any opinions on her deleting her social media and starting over from scratch? Deleting her tweets, wow, she really can’t not copy Dan, can she? (Kidding). But if I was actually a fan I’d be a bit miffed about it, just deleting years of history like that. As not a fan (in the traditional sense) my main opinion is: why is her insta all sideways? That’s.. quite a choice, but sure, ok.

yeah I've got a gripe with it cause she's causing us a whole hell of a lot of work trying to hunt down things we had sourced to her in our FAQs that we need alternate 'proof' actually happened now.

At least Dan only fake-deleted shit, most of his are still there if you search. I'm assuming hers are totally gone.
I have to admit, she's done a pretty good job of hiding old stuff. Dan and Phil, take notes.

Also, she said she has BPD in the comments of her no self of sense video and she briefly mentioned it in her first veda video last year.