Emma Blackery

onetruetrash
blobfish

fancybum wrote:My god she's being obnoxious about dogsitting for pewdiepie, like she's got to leech all the secondhand attention possible out of it while she can. And his pattern of making great choices continues to amaze.. I kind of assumed that the implosion of Revelmode would kind of be an easy out to drop Emma (because she mostly just came off like an annoyingly try-hard outsider in their Revelmode charity streams, not so much a welcome part of the group), but here they are. I guess they deserve each other anyway.
I've never seen someone get so offended about dogs (no hate btw just thought it was funny)
onetruetrash
blobfish

I just watched her new video and she mentioned Dan and Phil. Nothing drama related though.
saffarinda
truth bomb
Pronouns: she/her

Wow, so I've spent the past 2 hours or so reading through this entire thread and damnnn. Dan and Phil are the only youtubers part of the main group, so I've only heard the drama pertaining to them (bar some other large incidents *cough* Alex Day *cough*) but I never knew about all of this stuff happening with other youtubers!

Does anyone have screenshots for this Carrie thing, I used to watch her a fair bir and it's kinda sad that she'd be defending herself secretly, how was she found out?

I thought Jack and Louise were friends as well, so I'm surprised by that lik arguement.

I used to be a fan of Emma's ages ago (google+ days) but her drama just makes me stay away now.

I dont think I've ever really appreciated dnp for avoiding drama (in recent years anyway). I can only imagine how awkward some events are for them when they're surrounded by friends shading one another lmaooo
25/04/2017 - #blessed
thephandommenace
procrastinator
Pronouns: they/them

I've been watching some (not all) of her veda vlogs and a lot of them are perfectly fine - she seems a lot more chilled out (and dare I say, more mature?) lately. Then again I've not checked her Twitter or other social media.

However, I figured out the potential real reason I don't like her music - it's not just because it's unoriginal and all over the place, but more because it's so half-assed. I think Katka was absolutely right when it seems Emma enjoys the idea of being a famous musician more than the music itself. Her fellow YouTube musicians seem to live and breathe music. To use Tessa Violet as an example, she has her song/music video 'Not Over You' (which I didn't discover till just recently) (and I wonder if Emma got a lot of inspiration for her own song and video from it because there are so many similarities). Even though the song concept isn't wholly original it's still catchy as heck and a total earworm, and I'd consider it a good song and video. What made it better? Just that it felt like a more well-rounded, complete song, didn't take itself too seriously and didn't seem as narcissistic as having the camera focused on her the entire time or show her rolling would-be-seductively in some sheets. Tessa's video was way more varied and fun, and looked like it had some actual effort put into it. Emma rented a house for one day to film herself rolling around in and didn't think it needed anything extra.
Also, in Emma's first veda vlog, she demonstrates how she writes a song and it's just so... basic? "Strum some chords... sing a bit over it... there." I mean come on. As others have said, when she actually has something to sing about, her music is so much better.
Then there's how she got popular in YouTube - she started off by making comedy skits and got popular for absolutely nothing to do with music (not counting her older music channels, as they clearly weren't gathering enough traffic), and it's only when she got a following from vlogging that she started to release her songs. Of course, because of that, her audience is very split, with a lot of people liking her but not her music. It seems like she wanted to have this older sister/bad girl image as a singer, and be the kind of person people who are really into bandoms would love, but then her music doesn't have nearly as much effort put into it as her marketable(?) personality.

P.S. I don't think having no sense of self/BPD would stop you from writing good music - even if you're influenced by others' styles easily, you can still have the technical skill, things you care about, and draw on your own unique experiences to inspire your song.

Imagine how good her songs would be if she really, and I mean really, focused on making good music.
onetruetrash
blobfish

[quote="thephandommenace]P.S. I don't think having no sense of self/BPD would stop you from writing good music - even if you're influenced by others' styles easily, you can still have the technical skill, things you care about, and draw on your own unique experiences to inspire your song.

Imagine how good her songs would be if she really, and I mean really, focused on making good music.[/quote]

Yeah, good music and originality are different. I think she can write good songs, but a lot are generic. On the "Distance" EP, she made music videos for "Go The Distance" and "The Promise", but I think "Lies" sounds much more unique and is my favorite on the EP. I also find it funny how she said "Lies" was written last minute. Also, come to think of it, she said the Google Plus song was written last minute too. Maybe she just overinks her songs too much?
thephandommenace
procrastinator

onetruetrash wrote:
thephandommenace wrote:P.S. I don't think having no sense of self/BPD would stop you from writing good music - even if you're influenced by others' styles easily, you can still have the technical skill, things you care about, and draw on your own unique experiences to inspire your song.

Imagine how good her songs would be if she really, and I mean really, focused on making good music.

Yeah, good music and originality are different.
I think she can write good songs, but a lot are generic. On the "Distance" EP, she made music videos for "Go The Distance" and "The Promise", but I think "Lies" sounds much more unique and is my favorite on the EP. I also find it funny how she said "Lies" was written last minute. Also, come to think of it, she said the Google Plus song was written last minute too. Maybe she just overinks her songs too much?
Oops, my bad. Replace the word 'good' with 'original' and I think I'd still have the same opinion though - coming from someone who also has no sense of self :) it's hard to be original but it's not impossible. Nothing is ever truly original anyway. I just wish Emma's songs all didn't sound the same as each other... or sound like they were all written in 5 minutes. Ah maybe that was mean. I swear I'm not trying to be. This is more a critique and trying to rationalise why I don't like her music.
Speaking of being written in a few minutes, I agree, I think I also like Lies best, as it's probably the most 'different'-sounding one. (Though the lyrics don't make sense imo, is she gloating about getting the guy or is she angry she got cheated on? Both? Who's the song directed at? Who 'lied'?) Wasn't that a song that was co-written by her old band? No shade, just pointing out I think more than one song on that EP were cowritten with her old bands.

I wasn't a fan of Google Plus but I can see how someone who didn't know her before that would subscribe to her because of it. That's a good point that maybe she overthinks her songs... But also I feel Google Plus was different because it was a comedic song and they're usually judged differently from 'serious artist' music. People forgive weird-sounding lyrics and non-perfect singing, for example.

I'm not sure it's a matter of overthinking, either... instead I think it's a matter of not enough fine-tuning. By that I mean she comes up with a lot of lyrics for one song, which obviously takes time, but then puts the lyrics over a very familiar chord pattern/progression and easy strumming rhythm. (I say 'easy' because when I took up the ukulele/guitar, the strumming patterns for 'The Promise', 'Google Plus' and 'Nothing Without You' were literally the first patterns I learned.) So I get the impression she tests the chords first, sings over it while trying to come up with lyrics, gets the lyrics to fit and then says 'job done', when the problem of the song sounding too generic melody-wise still stands.

But I won't fault her on her lyrics, even if the content is generic, the flow and rhythm of the lyrics sound for the most part pretty natural, which is hard when writing a song.
I'm sorry, I haven't slept in 24 hours, this post probably made no sense/sounded pretentious af.
onetruetrash
blobfish

I would quote that, but that takes effort. I agree with everything you said! (Also same about the no sense of self thing)
gringoo
not a first-time poster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGARuK0U2gk&t=44s
I think in this video she is the most open up of all her videos.
onetruetrash
blobfish

gringoo wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGARuK0U2gk&t=44s
I think in this video she is the most open up of all her videos.
I was waiting to see if that video would be brought up. Something that I like about Emma is her self-awareness. The thing about saving a baby from a building is so true. People just constantly treat her like she killed someone and like she's the worst person in the world.
onetruetrash
blobfish

I found her video called I Became BORING??? from last year where she talks about drama. I thought it was deleted but nope. Also I'm on mobile so the link might not work.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CqbPP_c_qR4
thephandommenace
procrastinator

The link didn't work for me (dare I say it was unprivated accidentally? ) but I also saw it recently. Unfortunately I can't remember what she said. Was she alluding to her sense of self again?

I had mixed feelings about her sad video. You can't not feel bad when she's in tears and she did genuinely have something to be upset about. (The pugs did make me think of fancybum's comment, lol. But they are so cute and soft-looking I'd probably do the same.) I just wish she didn't focus so much on other people's success, although it must be all she hears about. You can tell how much the Dodie references annoy her. And she has been known to cry a lot on her side channels then delete those vids and goes on an endless cycle of bitchy to defensive to vulnerable to 'changed woman', and repeat. I guess I'm kind of resigned to it now. And I'm tired of being on automatic 'ugh' mode whenever her name is brought up, because yes, in the grand scheme of things she makes good content and isn't an inherently bad person (I hope... jealous and hypocritical and easy to anger, yes, but kind-hearted). She shouldn't be exempt to criticism though. If she's doing/saying something legitimately problematic she should be called out on it, and if a video/ piece of art she creates is meh, then people have the right to express that. 'Sucks To Be You' definitely deserved the roasting that it got.

There are so many things I can think of about her that she could take and turn into her 'brand' but it's not really up to her audience to be the ones to tell her what her niche should be, she needs to find it herself. I hope she can.

I always end up writing so much about her.
onetruetrash
blobfish

thephandommenace wrote:The link didn't work for me (dare I say it was unprivated accidentally? ) but I also saw it recently. Unfortunately I can't remember what she said. Was she alluding to her sense of self again?
Wait, do you mean the link I posted? If it is then no, this video was before her diagnosis. It was a video that Emma uploaded talking about why she stopped bitching about people. If you look earlier in the thread, you can see people bitching about it. If you google "emma blackery i became boring" and scroll down a little, there's her Facebook post with the link.
thephandommenace
procrastinator

Yes that's what I meant, the link you posted! Sorry, I was lazy and didn't search for it beyond the link as I assumed it had gone private again. I searched for it just now and it does appear to be reprivated. I wonder why. Maybe she just doesn't like a lot of videos/things she said from that period in her life. Is that the video where she mentioned that her little sister enjoyed YouTubers like Zoella and that's why she stopped bitching about then?
onetruetrash
blobfish

thephandommenace wrote:Yes that's what I meant, the link you posted! Sorry, I was lazy and didn't search for it beyond the link as I assumed it had gone private again. I searched for it just now and it does appear to be reprivated. I wonder why. Maybe she just doesn't like a lot of videos/things she said from that period in her life. Is that the video where she mentioned that her little sister enjoyed YouTubers like Zoella and that's why she stopped bitching about then?

She just happens to reprivate it right after someone happens to post a link here? Yeah, right, hi Emma. (sorry for sounding bitchy ily)

It was a main channel video where she talked about why she stopped causing drama and just things of that nature. She did talk about the Zoella thing though she didn't name Zoella, instead she just said it was a vlogger.
onetruetrash
blobfish

Also, I just saw that Emma is going to Manchester Piccadilly Station to film a video and I immediately thought of Dan and Phil.
thephandommenace
procrastinator

onetruetrash wrote:Also, I just saw that Emma is going to Manchester Piccadilly Station to film a video and I immediately thought of Dan and Phil.
I live close to Manchester; she's obviously been lurking on this thread and has come up here to give me a piece of her mind or she wants those sweet branding tips. jk jk

I wonder why Manchester specifically? It's for a main channel video, interesting, interesting. For people to give her comments on a certain item of clothing. Um... well. Maybe it's just a cover for an experiment.
Kind of tempted to turn up...

[offtopic]I'm constantly reminded of whenever I go to the city centre, which kind of makes my heart ache with nostalgia for something that's not even personal to me. Complicated feels. [/offtopic]
Moonbeamsonthepath
living flop
Pronouns: she

onetruetrash wrote:Also, I just saw that Emma is going to Manchester Piccadilly Station to film a video and I immediately thought of Dan and Phil.
Surely D&P wouldn't be in Manchester now? They don't really have ties to it any more...
Maybe Emma's including a Comprehensive History of Phan in her book and is doing research? (only kidding, but, I mean...I'd read that)
onetruetrash
blobfish

By checking the maps, it does seem like an odd location. Maybe she has something else to do in Manchester.

By the way thephandommenace, you should totally go.
Last edited by onetruetrash on Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onetruetrash
blobfish

Moonbeamsonthepath wrote:
Surely D&P wouldn't be in Manchester now? They don't really have ties to it any more...
Maybe Emma's including a Comprehensive History of Phan in her book and is doing research? (only kidding, but, I mean...I'd read that)
They're not. Manchester Piccadilly Station is where they met in person for the first time.
fancybum
senpai

I love the smell of drama in the morning. I can't even pick a side because it's douchey behaviour from every angle.
This person's response was pretty funny:
because stones/glass houses, whatever
Is that what her most recent song was about? Haven't listened. Is calling somebody a manipulative sociopath for the way they conduct themselves/their career not shading? Or is it only 'shade' when it's not 100% clear just exactly who you're talking about while pretending to try to be vague. Hmm.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Birdie
blobfish

I agree with what she said in those tweets a lot but I don't think she really stopped shading people. She also constantly rises to the shade even though she says she doesn't. Like, her attitude in those tweets is great but I wish she would act on it too and really stop caring what others say or think about her (us included if she's really reading this site sometimes). And I do wish her Youtube colleagues would cut the bullshit. Talking about this stuff on an obscure gossip forum is one thing but literally tweeting shade about your colleague to your 70k followers is just sad.

And honestly, relationship drama is great fodder for writing music. 95% percent of all songs are about love. I don't like her song but that's not because it's about her ex. If I started shunning songs because they're about broken relationships, I'd have to delete 3/4 of my music from my phone... So yeah, pretentious Youtube filmmakers being pretentious once again. What do they want her to write about, quantum physics?
fancybum
senpai

Sigh. Well that was short-lived, we can all go home.
Katka wrote:I agree with what she said in those tweets a lot but I don't think she really stopped shading people. She also constantly rises to the shade even though she says she doesn't. Like, her attitude in those tweets is great but I wish she would act on it too and really stop caring what others say or think about her (us included if she's really reading this site sometimes). And I do wish her Youtube colleagues would cut the bullshit. Talking about this stuff on an obscure gossip forum is one thing but literally tweeting shade about your colleague to your 70k followers is just sad.

And honestly, relationship drama is great fodder for writing music. 95% percent of all songs are about love. I don't like her song but that's not because it's about her ex. If I started shunning songs because they're about broken relationships, I'd have to delete 3/4 of my music from my phone... So yeah, pretentious Youtube filmmakers being pretentious once again. What do they want her to write about, quantum physics?
Personally I think her attempting a song about quantum physics would be more interesting than anything else she's doing, but it was a pointless criticism on Paul's part for sure (I mean how truly original was the idea behind Friend Like Me, really? It was about lost love too, like get a grip, nobody's reinventing the wheel here). They really are a bunch of insufferably pretentious people aren't they.

Ooh missed this one earlier and she's already deleted it:
Whatever else I may think about her, I will always take her side in the Hazel/hamster incident. That was some heartless bullshit.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
onetruetrash
blobfish

I almost didn't even see this drama.

I swear, I could never watch Hazel or Jack or anyone in that friend group. They have horrible attitudes and need to get over themselves.
pearshaped34
morning quiff

fancybum wrote: Ooh missed this one earlier and she's already deleted it:
Whatever else I may think about her, I will always take her side in the Hazel/hamster incident. That was some heartless bullshit.
By jokes about her book from that circle does she mean that generic youtubers-don't-write-their-books joke Jack made in a recent video that she and Lousie went off about on twitter?

Because don't get me wrong Jack Howards a douche but I'd be genuinely shocked if Jack was actually singling Emma out with that joke or even specifically thinking about her at all.
That was not a personal attack on Emma or her book any more than any of other 1 million youtube book themed jokes that have been cracked since the Zoella scandal hit were about Emma.

While I am actually inclined to believe Emma has written her book herself (mostly because it's not a novel) the only reason I can see why somebody would take such a vague, generic and over-used joke to be a personal dig is if she actually hasn't written her book herself and Jack knows that.

Like I said I do actually really think she has probably written the thing herself but that is the only reason I can imagine why she'd think he was specifically shading her there.
onetruetrash
blobfish

pearshaped34 wrote:
fancybum wrote: Ooh missed this one earlier and she's already deleted it:
By jokes about her book from that circle does she mean that generic youtubers-don't-write-their-books joke Jack made in a recent video that she and Lousie went off about on twitter?

Because don't get me wrong Jack Howards a douche but I'd be genuinely shocked if Jack was actually singling Emma out with that joke or even specifically thinking about her at all.
That was not a personal attack on Emma or her book any more than any of other 1 million youtube book themed jokes that have been cracked since the Zoella scandal hit were about Emma.

While I am actually inclined to believe Emma has written her book herself (mostly because it's not a novel) the only reason I can see why somebody would take such a vague, generic and over-used joke to be a personal dig is if she actually hasn't written her book herself and Jack knows that.

Like I said I do actually really think she has probably written the thing herself but that is the only reason I can imagine why she'd think he was specifically shading her there.
Are any other YouTube's writing books? If not, then I can see why she would've thought the joke was targeted at her. I would be pretty mad too if I worked hard on writing a book and someone accused me of just using a ghostwriter.