Movie/TV Essay Youtubers

Kimship
glabella

I was wondering if anyone else watches a lot of the video essays of people like Lindsay Ellis or Dan Olson(FoldableHuman) or MovieBob, etc? And so many more. This was my youtube(well, also Jim Sterling, political video essayists, and cooking videos), before I discovered Deppy.

Lindsay Ellis(formerly the Nostalgia Chick, but she hit her stride after she ditched Channel Awesome) is probably one of my favorite youtubers of all time. Her essays are gold, especially her recent 3-part epic about the Hobbit movies. And her scathing look at Rent. And her drunk, scathing look at the Phantom of the Opera movie that makes me laugh every time I put it on. And loving, but nuanced looks at Disney movies. Just gold and it makes me a bit sad that she doesn't even have 400,000 subscribers(although many of her videos do break 500k).
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

i LOVE lindsay ellis! i've watched her rent video so many times because i lovehate rent a lot and it's like someone pointing out why you have a problem with something when you can't work out why. i also love (her friend) jenny nicholson. she's a lot more casual than lindsay or dan and probably one of my favourite youtubers right now

she also does some other types of media based videos and has a lot of different fandom based videos. her videos about fanfic are iconic

he talks more about video games and politics but hbonberguy's tv analysis videos are pretty good too. he's worked with dan olson before in videos too!

sometimes he's pretty absolute in how he puts his views across ('X is garbage and here's why') but his videos are increasingly well made and i get excited when i see he's uploaded something new

i'll add shaun just to round out the group because he's always recommended alongside hbomberguy and i'd feel weird skipping him but mentioning the rest of the gang (plus contrapoints but natalie's the only one out of them that only really does political stuff and not media essays). his film videos are more responses to other people's videos he thinks are incorrect rather than standalone essays but i like them too
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
Kimship
glabella

I haven't watched any Jenny NIcholson, but I'll check her out tonight!

I LOVE hbomberguy and shaun, and although I tend to mentally place them in the political essayists box, their media essays are excellent(there is a lot of overlap). Shaun is so thorough with research, for everything he does. I'll admit, when I need a pick-me-up I'll start watching his "Everything Wrong with Cinema Sins" videos(they're sort of media essays, right?). That quiet, frustrated huff of anger just gets to me. And it's such a precise, level savaging of their entire method of "criticism" that it leaves me in awe.

I think I found hbomberguy through his Star Wars "Measured Response" videos, but he has such an interesting point of view in his media essays. I think I especially liked The Power of VHS and Halcyon Dreams.

Someone else, who, I didn't mention up top, is Mikey, from FilmJoy. I love his Movies with Mikey series. He's so passionate and I envy his editing skills. I love that I don't always agree with his conclusions, but I love watching how he gets there, seeing his perspective.

For a smaller channel, I like The Princess and the Scrivener. Like with Mikey, I don't always agree with their conclusions(although I often do), but it's interesting to see their view. I haven't gone through their whole video catalog yet, and I'm a few episodes behind, but they're cool.
Kimship
glabella

And speak of the devil (I wish, #SaveLucifer); Shaun has uploaded!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

I love this thread!! I just discovered Matt Baume and I've been marathon watching through his television related videos! He has some other general LGBTQ+ videos but I'm loving the entertainment related essay-ish ones a lot. A couple of my favorites:

Kimship
glabella

I love Matt Baume! I was only recently rewatching some of his stuff. It's so cool to learn some history of LGBT+ representation in television. I knew some of it, but a lot of the shows were really before my time or I haven't watched them in whole(I'm not a giant sitcom watcher, in general).
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I've been watching Lindsey Ellis video essays for two days now. I'm so happy to have discovered her thanks to this thread.
Kimship
glabella

That makes me so happy! She's easily in my top 3 favorite youtubers and she has a lot of respect among her peers, but doesn't have nearly the number of subscribers I think she deserves.
kavat
pastel persona

I think Pop Culture Detective deserves a mention in this thread! They analyse pop culture and tropes, often from a feminist perspective. Worth watching is the two-part series about why The Big Bang Theory is awful (1 & 2), Born Sexy Yesterday and Abduction as Romance. Honorable mention to The Fantastic Masculinity of Newt Scamander:
They always seem to point out all of the things that bug me but I've never been able to put into words.