Gleam Team

greenergrass
stress mushroom

malday wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:39 pm It's good that she addressed it.
It's nice to see that she addressed it. A lot of people would just ignore those kinds of things to avoid any drama, but i think she dealt with it fairly well. I was never really bothered by the tweets to begin with since they're are so old and people do stupid things (not defending the tweets, just that i honestly don't think she's like that anymore). I get that some people might have been bothered by it though so it is nice that she addressed it
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Catallena wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:19 am And I'm rolling my eyes a bit at Hank Green's liking of tweets that defend thing like this. I swear ever since that Internet Creators Guild thing he has become weirdly defensive of the shitty choices his 'friends' make. Not everyone is out to get the YouTube community or whatever dude.. some YouTubers need to be called out. Including Zoella.
I'm going to defend Hank here. He's generally pretty good at calling youtubers out for shitty stuff. He's not perfect and has been more lenient than he should have been and not called people out at times. Don't get me wrong there. I think he feels a lot of responsibility for the platform, which can't be easy. But to the point (or else I'll get on a tangent I don't need to be on :ribena:), I don't know if Hank knew about the fact that Zoe's line is available mainstream stores. I mean, he probably did, but I didn't know that. I also bet that Hank struggles with prices on merch as he runs DFTBA, which creates a lot of specialized merch. So it might be a lack of knowledge on Hank's part, of what the calendar actually included, Zoe's mainstream line, etc., or that Hank knows a shitton about the merchandise industry or he's just defensive about people he shares a platform with and wants to maintain relationships with big content creators (which is not a great reason at all).
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

citizen_erased wrote:I saw someone on Twitter (don't know who, it only popped up because hank green liked it) say that youtuber products are also more expensive because they can't buy the sheer bulk of products that large companies do so the prices don't get lowered as much. Which, yes, I understand if you're a 'regular' youtuber with your own shop or whatever, but Zoella's products are in a whole different range (literally), what with being sold in actual mainstream stores in the whole country and all.
This. Also I'm pretty sure nobody would have minded the price if there had been actual products of an equal value in the calendar and not literal pound store products that probably only cost pennies to produce. I don't know about you, but £50 for a 12-day calendar that had actual Zoella beauty products in reasonable sizes in it would probably have been no problem at all. I mean, some people would have probably still complained but it wouldn't have been justified if the calendar was actually worth that much money.

And to be quite honest, I might have believed her that this was out of her hands and that she really cares but I can't help but remember her reaction when the ghostwriting scandal happened and how she didn't understand why people were upset. So no, I don't think she really cares about her fans that much.

Tweets: I liked that she addressed them even though I'm still surprised she tweeted stuff like that aged 20-23 but i couldn't help but notice how she totally avoided addressing the most glaring thing about those tweets, the fatphobia. I might be reading too much into it but anyways.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

The girl who tried to do the really positive review made a follow up video admitting she thinks it's a rip off.

greenergrass
stress mushroom

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:32 pm The girl who tried to do the really positive review made a follow up video admitting she thinks it's a rip off.

I haven't actually watched it b/c I'm at work, but i assume she just made this because she probs got a lot of negative comments on her last video for being fake about the review. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. What did she say in the video?
tigertatze
living flop

whatdoiknow wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:04 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:32 pm The girl who tried to do the really positive review made a follow up video admitting she thinks it's a rip off.

I haven't actually watched it b/c I'm at work, but i assume she just made this because she probs got a lot of negative comments on her last video for being fake about the review. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. What did she say in the video?
Yeah, it seems she's just milking the controversy for what it's worth :shrug:
#nohetero
citizen_erased
truth bomb

whatdoiknow wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:04 pm

She says that in videos she made after that particular unboxing, she did say that the Zoella advent calendar was too expensive. She's glad that Boots has now halved the price, but also thinks that neither Zoella nor herself deserves to be dragged this much, especially since Zoella has since released a statement (if you want to call it that) saying she didn't have anything to do with the pricing.

In my opinion, Eltoria does sound more honest here. She's not entirely honest yet, but it's an improvement over her original video imo. I think she sounds fed up and even a bit angry, but she's also still - to an extent - defending Zoella. Also I'm annoyed by her "I wasn't going to say anything but now I've been dragged into it" and, even worse, the "I was the FIRST to make this unboxing video on youtube, I had only ever opened one other beauty calendar, so I had no benchmark, I just opened this calendar". Please. You don't need experience or benchmarks, the benchmark here is common sense and knowing that these products do not warrant this price in any way whatsoever. I didn't even know beauty/lifestyle advent calendars were a thing (I only care about the chocolate ones alright) and even I could tell this was way overpriced. Plus, at first I thought she was rubbing it in that she was totally original, but then I realized what she meant was she had no one else's opinions to compare her own to. And if you really need the opinion of other people so you can have a benchmark, then are you really giving your own opinions or are you averaging & watering down your own opinions to match better with your peers?

She also tries to make the excuse that she looked up the individual pricing for 3 of the 12 items, found out that those 3 combined were already almost half the price of the calendar, and just figured that with everything combined the 50 pound thing sounded about right. Which could be legit, if she hadn't looked up the 3 single most expensive items in the whole thing :lol: :lol:

But kudos to her for blatantly calling it a rip-off. And I agree that bringing up Zoe's old tweets is cruel and irrelevant to this discussion. I'm glad she's not particularly defending the product itself, only Zoella the person, which is fair enough even if I don't agree myself.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Thanks for the summary citizen_erased. I just got home and watched it, and I agree with pretty much everything you said. She's sounds a bit annoyed, which I actually liked because it made her seem less robot-like (I've never seen any of her other videos other than the original calendar unboxing, so I don't mean to sound hateful towards her - I'm sure she's a perfectly nice person, the first video just made her seem like she was acting too much).

Yeah I know eh, I've only ever had the chocolate ones (it's a staple every year), but I think anyone can use basic common sense to realize if things are blatantly overpriced. But I think she's a fairly small youtuber that suddenly got a lot of (bad) attention, so I don't really blame her for not using the strongest points to defend herself, if that makes any sense. She did make some good points too, but I can see how she'd want to lay it on thick that she just made a mistake so that people would stop saying mean things to her (which, it's the internet so that'll never completely stop, but I don't blame her for trying).

And yes, 100% agree about the tweets.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

obscureDnPreference wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:51 pm
Catallena wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:19 am And I'm rolling my eyes a bit at Hank Green's liking of tweets that defend thing like this. I swear ever since that Internet Creators Guild thing he has become weirdly defensive of the shitty choices his 'friends' make. Not everyone is out to get the YouTube community or whatever dude.. some YouTubers need to be called out. Including Zoella.
I'm going to defend Hank here. He's generally pretty good at calling youtubers out for shitty stuff. He's not perfect and has been more lenient than he should have been and not called people out at times. Don't get me wrong there. I think he feels a lot of responsibility for the platform, which can't be easy. But to the point (or else I'll get on a tangent I don't need to be on :ribena:), I don't know if Hank knew about the fact that Zoe's line is available mainstream stores. I mean, he probably did, but I didn't know that. I also bet that Hank struggles with prices on merch as he runs DFTBA, which creates a lot of specialized merch. So it might be a lack of knowledge on Hank's part, of what the calendar actually included, Zoe's mainstream line, etc., or that Hank knows a shitton about the merchandise industry or he's just defensive about people he shares a platform with and wants to maintain relationships with big content creators (which is not a great reason at all).
It's probably mostly irrational from my part, I'll admit that. But I feel like he (and others) are often too scared to call out problems on the platform because it goes against the 'community'. Sometimes they defend things, other times they water it down or simply ignore the problem. Both Hank and John are often seen as these figures who embody what the moral standards of the community should be. If shit goes down, be it about an advent calendar or Felix saying racist shit again, a big part of the community looks to them. Because they're successful and well educated white men who aren't complete shit about human rights I guess? I genuinely like the Green brothers and have watched their videos for years, but they're sometimes trying a bit too hard to be friendly with everyone and it's starting to annoy me.

When I checked her Twitter a few days ago she said something about along the same lines. She had come to realize that after opening a lot more calendars after that particular video, the Zoella one was actually not good at all. I guess I kinda get her defense that if you don't really know what's in other calendars at the same price point and Zoe's is the first one you open, you might think it's the standard? But on the other hand.. common sense sis. I'm sure you have it. I'm glad she came around a bit though. I agree with whatdoiknow that I kinda liked seeing her a bit annoyed, definitely made her seem a bit more real as opposed to the Zoella clone impression I had of her at first.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
nigel ratburn
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Catallena wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:38 am
obscureDnPreference wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:51 pm I'm going to defend Hank here. He's generally pretty good at calling youtubers out for shitty stuff. He's not perfect and has been more lenient than he should have been and not called people out at times. Don't get me wrong there. I think he feels a lot of responsibility for the platform, which can't be easy. But to the point (or else I'll get on a tangent I don't need to be on :ribena:), I don't know if Hank knew about the fact that Zoe's line is available mainstream stores. I mean, he probably did, but I didn't know that. I also bet that Hank struggles with prices on merch as he runs DFTBA, which creates a lot of specialized merch. So it might be a lack of knowledge on Hank's part, of what the calendar actually included, Zoe's mainstream line, etc., or that Hank knows a shitton about the merchandise industry or he's just defensive about people he shares a platform with and wants to maintain relationships with big content creators (which is not a great reason at all).
It's probably mostly irrational from my part, I'll admit that. But I feel like he (and others) are often too scared to call out problems on the platform because it goes against the 'community'. Sometimes they defend things, other times they water it down or simply ignore the problem. Both Hank and John are often seen as these figures who embody what the moral standards of the community should be. If shit goes down, be it about an advent calendar or Felix saying racist shit again, a big part of the community looks to them. Because they're successful and well educated white men who aren't complete shit about human rights I guess? I genuinely like the Green brothers and have watched their videos for years, but they're sometimes trying a bit too hard to be friendly with everyone and it's starting to annoy me.
as much as i love hank and john, lately i've been feeling this way, too. i think hank often verges on being too defensive of anyone on the platform who gets a lot of attention because "mainstream media doesn't get it" which, i mean, yeah, sometimes they really don't, but the with the felix situation with the wsj there wasn't really anything else TO get and i found his reaction to that very strange and disappointing. i totally get wanting to be congenial, especially bc they (esp. hank) are the faces of the largest youtube convention and have to deal with creators and fans in a way that most don't, but calling out shitty behavior in the community can actually make it better and pretending that everything's fine and dandy won't solve anything.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

I really enjoyed Zoe's new vlog where she showed a large chunk of a meeting. She had mentioned she was going to include that kind of thing in vlogs this year, but I wasn't sure how much she was actually going to include. The vlog ended up being largely just the meeting, which I loved.

Obviously, she's doing this because it's a good business decision, especially with the backlash last year - it shows how involved she is in the process, gives the audience the idea that they are along for the ride, makes things look less sketchy in general because she is being more transparent about the processes which minimizes risk of negative backlash down the road.

I'm a huge fan of seeing behind the scenes stuff though, so I eat this kind of stuff up. I would love to see behind the scenes of deppy's meetings. Please give me opinionated Dan and Phil in meetings, coming up with ideas and working with their team and speaking up about things that they like or don't like. That's the dream.

greenergrass
stress mushroom

After watching Joe Sugg's podcast on True Geordie the other day (I posted a bit about it in Joe's thread), I started watching Alfie's episode on the podcast.

I got to the bit starting at 43:45, and wanted to share it here. They're talking about how Alfie got the option to either take a video True Geordie had done down if he wanted (because it was deemed bullying of Alfie), or he could take the Adsense money from the video.

I know it's possible for people to take the adsense money when someone re-posts their video or uploads a portion of their video, but I didn't realize they got the option to take the adsense money if a video is made bullying them.

I found this interesting in relation to dan and phil. We know other youtubers have made videos about them, and some have been quite bad (like stuff onision has done in the past), but I wonder if any have been bad enough to warrant a bullying accusation, and if deppy have then been given the option to take the adsense money from the video.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Now that's interesting, I also had no idea that was a thing they could do.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Dropping this here for anyone that has anxiety, especially around flying. It's a long video so it's very thorough. I haven't actually needed to fly anywhere in the past ten-ish years. The last time I flew was before I developed anxiety, and I was actually one of those people that found flying really fun, and now I'm terrified of the idea. The video is full of good resources and tips, and I'll definitely try a few if I ever need/want to fly anywhere. It's also a good video for dealing with anxiety in general.

I don't watch all of Zoe's videos, but I really like when she does these types of videos. Her original anxiety video was one of the first things I saw years ago that made me realize that anxiety was a thing a lot of people dealt with (and also her blog post before that video where she mentioned having emetophobia was one of the very first times I read about emetophobia even being a thing and that it was actually a phobia. I remember stumbling across it before I really knew who she was, and being like 'oh there's a word for it and it's a real thing').