Gleam Team

hunnyftw
phabergé

aralik wrote:
IckleMissMayhem wrote:See the only thing that really struck me about these vids is "you were all the way over in Florida, at Playlist, with pretty much any and all YTers available for collabs, and you three who already spend a fuckload of time together and don't live more'n a couple hours away at most decide to shut yourselves away and film together?!" :confused:
cannot comment on the fact that they could have collabed with other people but i think the main reason why their videos feel so natural and chummy is because they spent all that time together going to and hanging out at playlist. all those videos just feel like more organic, regular hang-outs among friends who spend a lot of time together. you know how you get when you see the same people day after day and you just become silly and fun together because there is nothing new happening to tell each other anyway
Aralik, that's a good way of putting it. Plus, and this is obviously just my personal preference, I'd rather the collabing youtubers know each other at least quite well and meet irl more than just once a year during a random Youtube convention. I get the mentality of "we won't have a chance of seeing each other for the next 10 months so let's film it!" I totally do, but more often than not I feel the awkwardness oozing through the screen and can really tell that these people are just work colleagues, nothing more.

Obviously there are many exceptions to this rule of thumb. Some youtubers do see each other only once or twice a year but regularly keep in contact through skype, twitter phone etc and are genuinely very good long-distance friends. Then obviously they can film their hearts away when they do meet irl and it probably won't be akward for me to watch. I think that Louise and Marie from bitsandclips are a good example of that.
smarties
glabella
Pronouns: she/her

Yesterday evening I was having dinner watching the news on TV (Italian main channel news) and...

There you have Louise sitting at a round table with the Pope and other youtubers speaking about the importance of education availability for children all around the world.

I was happily surprised (ad I'm not even religious) cos she is doing so good....#goals
corn flakes
moon room

smarties wrote:Yesterday evening I was having dinner watching the news on TV (Italian main channel news) and...

There you have Louise sitting at a round table with the Pope and other youtubers speaking about the importance of education availability for children all around the world.

I was happily surprised (ad I'm not even religious) cos she is doing so good....#goals
Foud this: and also this: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/m ... CMP=twt_gu

I'm happy for her as from what I understood she is religious and seems like really wanting to help make a difference.
English is not my first language: half of the mistakes are typos ,half are me
litteronthebreeze
tol bean

I took my daughter (who is really into the gleam lot) to Caspar's book signing today. I have to say I was impressed by him. I don't know how any of these guys can get through these meet and greets and signings whilst remaining permanently happy, smiling and on it. He was lovely. My daughter is shy and he handled it just right and we got a lovely photo. And his Mum is full of joy too.

I dont think I would go to one of these events as a viewer (rather than a parent) though. Even for I am in my early thirties but I felt incredibly out of place.
sia
living flop

https://youtube.com/watch?v=olRMsoXd4zs

Well this is awkward.. vlogging can be pretty shit job in situations like this.

And am I the only one who would bite the guy head off if he told me I was high maintenance rather than take it as some kind of valuable life lesson?

I mean I just feel if you reject person as a whole (especially if you don't know them for that long) then it is not your place to tell them what they should change about themselves to better fit into your personal criteria.
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

sia wrote:https://youtube.com/watch?v=olRMsoXd4zs

Well this is awkward.. vlogging can be pretty shit job in situations like this.

And am I the only one who would bite the guy head off if he told me I was high maintenance rather than take it as some kind of valuable life lesson?

I mean I just feel if you reject person as a whole (especially if you don't know them for that long) then it is not your place to tell them what they should change about themselves to better fit into your personal criteria.
Idk about the high maintenance thing, though it does seem like Louise knows herself and is confident enough to not change herself. But I was really getting the feeling that the reason that he broke up with her was bc of youtube. Thoughts? Just the way that she said he didn't agree with her 'lifestyle'.
sia
living flop

it seems like an obvious reason but we have very little to go on. I'd say no because at the end of the day it is just another job, it's still the creators call what to share with public and what not, she doesn't have paparazzi following her or anything like that.
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

sia wrote:it seems like an obvious reason but we have very little to go on. I'd say no because at the end of the day it is just another job, it's still the creators call what to share with public and what not, she doesn't have paparazzi following her or anything like that.
At the same time as he does not want to be known, it limits their ability to just go around being a couple for the fear of being caught by a fan. Its not a healthy way and I think it suffocates the relationship.
sia
living flop

But if they were cought by a fan would it really be plastered all over the internet? I mean her fanbase seems a bit on the smaller and calm side to me. Maybe I'm just naive, I have hard time seeing numbers on the internet as real people hah
corn flakes
moon room

With the current discussion it come to my mind: did the gleamers at the end really did their own sitc?
The last time I heard they didn't attend sitc and were planning to do their own thing but at the end nothing was announced. I'm probably wrong but wanted some information about that.
English is not my first language: half of the mistakes are typos ,half are me
l8er_sk8er
delia smith

corn flakes wrote:With the current discussion it come to my mind: did the gleamers at the end really did their own sitc?
The last time I heard they didn't attend sitc and were planning to do their own thing but at the end nothing was announced. I'm probably wrong but wanted some information about that.
They announced it right after SITC announced their dates in the begining of 2015 and it created huge shitstorm because it was the same dates or like a week before SITC. They had Almity Fest before. And it was more like a tour with Q&A, but this time I thought it was presented more like an alternative to SITC.
There was TenEighty article about Almity Fest announcement. http://teneightymagazine.com/2015/03/23 ... ing-storm/
It's fun to read their Almity Fest official account, cause the last tweet was a year ago.
They were planning in march, and then in june...and nothing happend.
coffee pig
woodland creature
Pronouns: ''ugh, her again''

sia wrote:But if they were cought by a fan would it really be plastered all over the internet? I mean her fanbase seems a bit on the smaller and calm side to me. Maybe I'm just naive, I have hard time seeing numbers on the internet as real people hah
You'd be surprised...when Louise's ex-husband started dating a younger woman and she put up pictures of her and Darcy on Instagram, some of the fans turned nasty really quickly. Some fans basically stalked her to find out who she was and left hateful comments on her social media accounts. I wouldn't put it past anyone with an internet following to have fans that could be invasive and judgmental.
{ bisexual Philophile and respectful stalker since 2008 }
sweetmm
angel bean

bedhead91 wrote:
sia wrote:But if they were cought by a fan would it really be plastered all over the internet? I mean her fanbase seems a bit on the smaller and calm side to me. Maybe I'm just naive, I have hard time seeing numbers on the internet as real people hah
You'd be surprised...when Louise's ex-husband started dating a younger woman and she put up pictures of her and Darcy on Instagram, some of the fans turned nasty really quickly. Some fans basically stalked her to find out who she was and left hateful comments on her social media accounts. I wouldn't put it past anyone with an internet following to have fans that could be invasive and judgmental.
The fans even "hurt her career" by leaving negative comments on the site that sells her book as she is an aspiring writer. I mean its one thing to troll her insta and other media accounts but it another level to try to destroy a person's means of making a living.
Lain
eclipse shirt

sweetmm wrote:
The fans even "hurt her career" by leaving negative comments on the site that sells her book as she is an aspiring writer. I mean its one thing to troll her insta and other media accounts but it another level to try to destroy a person's means of making a living.
Wow, really? That's appalling. I'd be more surprised if I hadn't used to lurk in the crisscolfer fandom. :?
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Lain wrote:
sweetmm wrote: The fans even "hurt her career" by leaving negative comments on the site that sells her book as she is an aspiring writer. I mean its one thing to troll her insta and other media accounts but it another level to try to destroy a person's means of making a living.
Wow, really? That's appalling. I'd be more surprised if I hadn't used to lurk in the crisscolfer fandom. :?
I'm going to defend those fans a bit and say that Devon is not a saint either and seems to use Matt, but even worse Darcy for her own 'career'. She is shady, and well she so desperately wants attention that she is just going to have to deal with the negative comments. Some of those comments were too harsh, I agree, but there were also plenty of people giving constructive criticism, that she mistook for hate.
Lain
eclipse shirt

SquishPhan wrote:
Lain wrote:
sweetmm wrote: The fans even "hurt her career" by leaving negative comments on the site that sells her book as she is an aspiring writer. I mean its one thing to troll her insta and other media accounts but it another level to try to destroy a person's means of making a living.
I'm going to defend those fans a bit and say that Devon is not a saint either and seems to use Matt, but even worse Darcy for her own 'career'. She is shady, and well she so desperately wants attention that she is just going to have to deal with the negative comments. Some of those comments were too harsh, I agree, but there were also plenty of people giving constructive criticism, that she mistook for hate.
Is that right? I suppose I should familiarize myself with all of the drama (or maybe it's best to stay away).
sweetmm
angel bean

Lain wrote:
Is that right? I suppose I should familiarize myself with all of the drama (or maybe it's best to stay away).
Best to stay away, I am one of those few viewers that only watch and remark on what the youtubers puts on their videos or other media, and somehow I don't even see Matt as a youtuber as it is only a hobby. I feel that as long as Louise seems happy with the situation i.e. she can leave Darcy anytime when she wants (knowing Darcy will be spending it with her father and his gf) why would others be bothered? Louise knows best as a mother and the fact that she was abused as a child meant she will be ensuring Darcy will be with people that adores her, and it looks like she feels Darcy is safe with Matt's gf. Outsiders should respect their comfort zone.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

sweetmm wrote:
Lain wrote:
Best to stay away, I am one of those few viewers that only watch and remark on what the youtubers puts on their videos or other media, and somehow I don't even see Matt as a youtuber as it is only a hobby. I feel that as long as Louise seems happy with the situation i.e. she can leave Darcy anytime when she wants (knowing Darcy will be spending it with her father and his gf) why would others be bothered? Louise knows best as a mother and the fact that she was abused as a child meant she will be ensuring Darcy will be with people that adores her, and it looks like she feels Darcy is safe with Matt's gf. Outsiders should respect their comfort zone.
The thing is though that Louise has made a few remarks that indicated that she isn't/wasn't happy with the way things were going. She also made it very clear that her new (now ex) boyfriend wasn't going to meet Darcy anytime soon, which many people thought was a dig at the whole Devon thing.

If you want to know more than Devon has a thread on the site that should not be named. Although I do think that a few posters on there are a bit too harsh, others I agree with.
sweetmm
angel bean

Outsiders tend to perceive things and for me each person handles relationships differently, Matt seems to find a person he wants to be serious with and comfortable sharing his family i.e. child and I think it is also a litmus test on whether Darcy can accept/be comfortable along. I remembered Louise mentioned she and Matt went serious almost immediately when they met so I guess Matt is not a casual dating type of guy, so best ensure the girl he loves can love his daughter too and vice versa, or he'll move onward. He puts himself out there as I am a package, love me love my daughter from day 1 and it seems to work so far for him.

Louise approach is different, love me and when she thinks the time is right meet my daughter. Maybe she feels her approach is better, but it will be awkward later to find the person you love do not jive with your child and/or vice versa. I do hope for her happiness, her approach will work as I'm sure many single mums do it that way. I also think her past experience with the US guy scare her and made her wary of introducing the new man in her life until she was certain its the real thing. Now that it happened again I'm sure she will be more on guard.

I don't see anything wrong with either approach as it is their lives and their decisions, and whenever Matt puts up his new family vlogs Darcy came across as happy and that is more important. As long as his gf treats Darcy right and there is no indication of otherwise, to me just let them be happy. Hence for me Louise's remarks are more about her approach as opposed to looking at how Matt conducts his live.
wtfamidoinghere
lady door

Devon is one of those people who can't accept criticism and scream "back off haters!" instead.
I don't support online harrassement of anyone, but most people were only pointing out to her that her behaviour looks like she's trying to use Louise and Darcy for her own career (as soon as she got followers on instagram from posting pictures with Darcy and Matt, she made a youtube channel and published a book. And honestly that book seems to be too bad to be a livelong dream for which she has worked and studied.).
I have a tendency to give people the benefit of the doubt, but if she doesn't revel in the attention, then that means there is a freakishly long list of coincidents that make her look like it.

And Louise kind of has to put up with this, she can't just forbid Matt from seeing his daughter. If she were to bash Devon on social media that just means unnecessary trouble.
I don't believe it doesn't bother her at all. If i had a child and my ex husband's new girlfriend posted pictures of them with captions that hint at a happy little family, i'd not be happy. IMO it's a natural reaction.

(I haven't been keeping up with this, so if the situation has changed in the last months, excuse my uneducated opinion.)
fancy_nancy
phabergé

this might be really old news bc it happened like two months ago but I saw it today and found it hilarious so I have to share it here hahahah I hate the guy too but thats just mean
bear
hobbit hair

fancy_nancy wrote:this might be really old news bc it happened like two months ago but I saw it today and found it hilarious so I have to share it here hahahah I hate the guy too but thats just mean
Should I be angry or laugh? I'm dead this is beautiful
Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

Overall improvement: +100
Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

Thoughts?
Reizam
butt chair

Ticia wrote:

Thoughts?
YIKES :shock:

What the hell was he thinking?? I know the guy in the video said he thought Marcus was being ignorant, but c'mon. It's 2016. Does he really not know any better than this?