Adrian Howell

Levitating
#relatable

obvsly wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:33 am This could be trump’s defense at impeachment trial. He was only talking, right? No one was forced to listen or believe in anything he said!

Trump was elected as a president and held an institutional position of power in the country. That's a contract. And the trials are a debate over whether he has broken that contract.
While in office, his gov.twitter account was that of the elected president of the united states.

Adrian is none of this things :shrug:

As I said, I do believe he's an example of white privilege and British forms of racism ("white saviour"/"ethnicities as props), but to go to his posts and say "what you are doing is making me sad, stop it" is to me to be a bit demanding :shrug:

Trigger warning about depression and medication
Especially if the core subject is mental health, which he has declared has suffered from. From minds.org:

And there is no scientific evidence that depression is caused by a chemical imbalance which is corrected by antidepressants.

This page has information on some of the common alternatives to antidepressants. You may find these helpful to use instead of your medication, or alongside it:

Talking therapies
Mindfulness
Arts and creative therapies
Ecotherapy
Complementary and alternative therapies
Peer support
Look after your physical health

He is not declaring himself to be a therapist. He is offering the alternatives. And yes, there are a lot of wrong technicalities behind his choice, but the way people are talking to him sounds to me as suffocating as harassment which can trigger further anxiety.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

You know.... I didn't think I could dislike the guy more, but this morning Mr. We Have To Try And Understand Everyone's Point Of View looked at the comments on his video and responded only to the positive ones and then proceeded to pin a comment that called his perspective on social media a "genius idea".

I'm in awe that someone's head could be so far up their ass.

I'm also in awe at how significantly differently I can feel about 2 brothers. If Adrian has achieved nothing else, it's that he's offered up such a juxtaposition to Dan, that I've begun to love Dan even more.... simply for him being nothing like his brother.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

shan wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:12 am Forewarning: I’ve been simmering on this the last couple of days and just ended up writing a whole-ass essay on it, I'm sorry in advance!

I looked up Adrian’s account a week or so ago when the bedding thing was everywhere because why not? Since then, his account has been sitting in my recent searches and I keep flicking over when a story is lit up. Boy do I wish I could take that back. My knowledge of Adrian before was super, super limited. I remember something coming up for a hot sec on the main thread a while back where someone said something about not letting Dan get off easy for trying to move more professionally into the mental health sphere when Adrian got so much shit for it. I looked up his YouTube channel and watched his video on depression and what I said then, and what I still firmly believe, is that the two are not even remotely similar in their approach to talking about mental health or the level of thought put into the content they produce. Not to mention the feeling of responsibility to their followers to provide educated information. They are not the same person and Dan is absolutely afforded a benefit of the doubt that Adrian is not, based on his history of being careful with the information he puts out on the internet and the provision of resources for people who want/need to know more on this topic in particular.

Anyway, Dan’s not the point here, it’s just fascinating seeing two people brought up in a relatively similar environment who both experienced trauma in their childhood/teen years (albeit different forms) can both manifest that experience into a career centring around ‘living your truth’ and taking it to mean two completely different things. His age is honestly irrelevant. By 23 you either have a smidge of empathy and compassion in your body or you don’t.

Back on topic, his coaching insta is so much worse than I had imagined. He comes across as a spoiled white boy who didn’t get into the Oxford English Literature degree he wanted so took off around Europe on who knows’ dime to write tone-deaf prose meant to inspire like some wannabe Jack Kerouac. That may have been a bit harsh but it’s not like he’s ever going to read it and it’s true so...

I’m really passionate about mental health, it’s a topic that’s really important to me and the flippant way Adrian approaches it every god damn time makes me so mad. His attitude toward mental health adds more stigma to therapeutic and medicinal treatment of serious illnesses that in most cases require legitimate professional intervention, not just a bit of meditation and cutting animal products from your diet.

Clearly the vast majority of his followers come from the phandom. I had a look through the comments of his posts after reading about it here and, to me at least, most of the messages of support read very juvenile and are likely very young followers who are very much that, followers. An important part of growing up is realising that people you look up to can be wrong and these people ain’t there yet. To be fair though, I also think life coaching as a career in general feeds on the vulnerable. If you can present a semi-successful existence, be it real or a glamour, and talk out of your ass with authority not matter how inaccurate or harmful what you say is, people searching for hope will follow and listen. God, I really really hope no one here is one and I didn't just insult someone... From that awful IGTV video he’s clearly got the self-confident narcissistic bit down pat holy wow.

Obviously no one should be tearing him down on social media over personal topics but kudos to the people who sent the comments quoted earlier in the thread with level-headed, reasonable feedback about his posts. I had smoke coming out of my ears with his choice of how to deal with someone trying to provide him a little perspective on the millions of lives destroyed by this pandemic.

I used to be a bit confused why Dan didn't follow and support his brother but I now completely understand. Can you imagine the shitstorm if he shared Adrian’s content? If they had any contact other than Christmas visit crossovers, I would honestly be shocked. That’s two very conflicting, very vocal and very public viewpoints.

This has been my entirely too long rant on why people with crappy POVs on mental health should not have a platform: Adrian edition.

TLDR; I hate so much about the things that Adrian chooses to be.
this whole post is just a strong yes.
obvsly
#relatable

Levitating wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:11 pm Trump was elected as a president and held an institutional position of power in the country. That's a contract. And the trials are a debate over whether he has broken that contract.
While in office, his gov.twitter account was that of the elected president of the united states.

Adrian is none of this things :shrug:
I’m a little confused myself as to why you seem to fixate on how there needs to be some sort of a “contract”, while pretty much everyone after your previous post had talked quite extensively about the duty, responsibility, and moral obligation of influencers.

If that is not enough then okay. :)
Levitating
#relatable

Because to demand "duty, responsibility, and moral obligation" from an influencer is like demanding for him to fulfil some kind of shared (between you and him) agreement, when there is none. He has chosen to access Instagram the same you have it. And whether with an audience of 1k or 10 friends from school, you both have the freedom to post whatever you want unless it violates IG guidelines (which is a total different conversation).

It is a digital space you both have the right and freedom to use as you please. You don't own him/me/anyone avoid posting pictures of your dog because you are lucky enough to have one while others suffer because they would survive starvation differently.

And again, because this seems an issue of mental health, it is to me kind of funny that people would go and target him that way (in the comments, with assumptions of all kinds) when they are supposed to be people who care about mental health? What about Adrian's mental health? This does not mean that you shouldn't approach someone who is discouraging people from taking the vaccine because of some weird conspiracy, but it's like going there and threat him with covid-19 because that person is an anti-vaccine person. :shrug:
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Levitating wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:11 pm As I said, I do believe he's an example of white privilege and British forms of racism ("white saviour"/"ethnicities as props), but to go to his posts and say "what you are doing is making me sad, stop it" is to me to be a bit demanding :shrug:
I think it’s less about people being sad and more about people being rightfully concerned that a self-proclaimed “holistic health coach” (that’s what his bio says) is using his platform to share anti-science rhetoric and misinformation when he’s not qualified to professionally give advice of any kind.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

Levitating wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:36 am I still fail to understand your point, guys.

Hunger kills far more than Covid, daily. Should we stop posting pictures of pancakes?
IPhones kill people (think of capitalism or effect on climate). The nice pictures we take of ourselves and post online trigger sadness in people who may be suffering from the last waves of your daily actions.

When we access social media account, there is no contract between us and the person posting: they do not own us anything.
You are right, he does not owe us anything.

However, all this goes to show is that the man has not an ounce of humanity in him. He has basically turned round and told people he doesn’t care if they are upset and offered no support at all. Isn’t that the point of a “life coach”. If you can’t offer support or some kind words at a time when someone who follows you is suffering then that says it all about him as a person.

:shrug:
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
shan
morning quiff

Levitating wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:44 pm And again, because this seems an issue of mental health, it is to me kind of funny that people would go and target him that way (in the comments, with assumptions of all kinds) when they are supposed to be people who care about mental health? What about Adrian's mental health? This does not mean that you shouldn't approach someone who is discouraging people from taking the vaccine because of some weird conspiracy, but it's like going there and threat him with covid-19 because that person is an anti-vaccine person. :shrug:
Looking through his insta I didn't see comments that were attacking him, just asking him to look outside himself and get a little perspective. I haven't seen what people are saying on Twitter but if he doesn't have an account then he would have to actively seek out what people are saying about him.

Adrian on the other hand actually targeted a single commenter who had just lost their grandmother to COVID with a 9-minute IGTV rant after already leaving a snarky 'it's not me it's you' reply in the comments when they expressed their concern. He clearly doesn't give a shit about anyone else's mental health but his own.

I would also argue that he has a much larger responsibility than the average influencer based on the fact that he sells his shitty perspectives on a one-to-one basis for real money. Not to mention that he also gives nutritional and health advise which, when wrong, can be legitimately dangerous. If an uneducated 23 year old is going to be doling out this kind of life advice, I want to see the references of where he's getting his information from. People do a three year Bachelor degree in nutrition for a reason.
Levitating
#relatable

I completely see your points in regards of what he's doing wrong, but what I really cannot understand is the way the public/those comments express their disapproval - coming in waves, and becoming actually mean at times, on mere assumptions.

Anyhow, I also thank you for the accepting ways in which you have answered my hesitations! It's nice to have a place where to disagree without much drama!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Adrian posted another two-part video (around thirty minutes total) and I think in a lot of ways he explained himself better but in a lot of ways he just reiterated the exact same privilege he showed before. It's inherently privileged to say that you don't care about politics and everyone is a human underneath. That may be true, but some humans don't think other humans have rights and I don't trust people that want to embrace all of us the same.
daisyholland
smol bean

yes i also liked this post more as he actually went some way to explain the actions he has taken which have caused confusion and offence.

dodgy conspiracy theory post aside, i don’t personally find any of his actions to be heinous in the context of the pandemic (it is true that there was a lull in cases in portugal and iberia when he moved). i probably wouldn’t have chosen this as a time to move personally but as he says we don’t actually know him and there may have been reasons that he couldn’t stay in wokingham that we don’t know about.

i was also frustrated by his v v pacifistic approach of basically saying he won’t pick a side in any divisive subject (ofc that is a privilege) but i think if we feel generous then we can assume there may be personal reasons for that as well. her instagram is private now so mods lmk if i shouldn’t discuss it but when colette was public she posted a xmas day picture with adrian’s (and dan’s) mother and grandmother - obvi we know dan wasn’t there. this, and his comment about a tense xmas zoom call could suggest some family tensions around the pandemic and what precautions everyone is taking. if this is true then it makes me more sympathetic to his not-picking-a-side approach.

what i am most curious about is him saying he has one more video to make. he was very vague when discussing it but the language he used about it being something he has avoided but has to talk about makes me think it might be to do with the phandom/colette situation. but we’ll see.
oblongdisposition
dank meme
Pronouns: She/her

Colette unprivated her Instagram, but I’m not sure they spent Christmas in england? Unless there was a different post she made about it.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Yeah I do believe that was a group gathering in Portugal - he's posted pictures of/with his grandmother before and I don't see her in any of them.
daisyholland
smol bean

yes they are def in portugal. i was thinking of the 26/12 post on the @/colettetownsend_ account, in the 4th picture along is that not their mum on the right and grandma at the end of the table?
oblongdisposition
dank meme

Hm when I first saw that picture I didn’t think so, but I guess it could be them. We’ve only seen their grandma smiling in photos, so it may be that she just looks different with her resting face.
Although wasn’t London in tier 4 at christmas? They might not have been able to leave.
daisyholland
smol bean

they’re not from london they are from berkshire which was mostly tier 3 on xmas day. they definitely shouldn’t have been travelling but ofc lots of people did anyway. i’m pretty sure that is them (and colette posted about a necklace she received from adrian’s grandparents which suggests to me they spent the day together) but ofc we can’t really be certain
dontpanic
#relatable

while portugal locked down pretty swiftly at the start of the pandemic, saving a lot of lives, it's been hit really hard since around september with some of (and at times the) highest number of cases and deaths in europe. I really hope whatever group photo he took wasn't recent.
oblongdisposition
dank meme

I looked at the photo of dan’s mom from tabinof and I do think it was them in the Xmas photo :/ I’m sure Dan wasn’t happy if they brought his grandparents to a group gathering in another country
daisyholland
smol bean

yeah it’s not great... i’m sure dan was annoyed esp bc phil has gone so long without seeing his family which is obviously p hard for him. it must sting to see other people ignoring the guidelines esp your own family and then have to be upbeat and festive with them on zoom!

what does everyone think about the next igtv video adrian alluded to? could it be something to do with the phandom? he definitely saw some of the comments made about colette i just wonder whether he’ll think it best to ignore it as i’m sure some of the heat from that has already blown over.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

if that's true, not only was irresponsible of Adrian but of his family too. Going to another Country in the middle of a pandemic? You've gotta be kidding me.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

My gut still says that's not his grandmother. I keep looking between the pictures and I just can't see it. I also had an anon on tumblr say that Adrian mentioned a zoom call around Christmas, but I can't actually verify that myself. (Anon, please come post here!!)

I do agree that if it's them, very irresponsible. But somehow it just doesn't click right for me. It looks like a group gathering of people they know in Portugal.
daisyholland
smol bean

yeah it is hard to tell from the picture- my gut says it is just because that does look like karen and it would make sense for the grandparents to come as well (and to me it looks like her) but i guess our guts will have to agree to disagree!

and you’re right about the zoom, he said in a caption it was just as dysfunctional as a normal family xmas or something
oblongdisposition
dank meme

daisyholland wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:38 pm yeah it’s not great... i’m sure dan was annoyed esp bc phil has gone so long without seeing his family which is obviously p hard for him. it must sting to see other people ignoring the guidelines esp your own family and then have to be upbeat and festive with them on zoom!

what does everyone think about the next igtv video adrian alluded to? could it be something to do with the phandom? he definitely saw some of the comments made about colette i just wonder whether he’ll think it best to ignore it as i’m sure some of the heat from that has already blown over.
Do you remember which video/approx time stamp that he mentioned making another one?
daisyholland
smol bean

it’s in the second of the two videos he posted the other day about 3 mins from the end:

‘i do have another video to make and it’s going to be a big one because it’s something that i’ve not talked about so far but it’s something that has needed to be talked about and i can’t talk about the unveiling and the apocalypse if i’m not going to say everything that needs to be said’
oblongdisposition
dank meme

daisyholland wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:52 am it’s in the second of the two videos he posted the other day about 3 mins from the end:

‘i do have another video to make and it’s going to be a big one because it’s something that i’ve not talked about so far but it’s something that has needed to be talked about and i can’t talk about the unveiling and the apocalypse if i’m not going to say everything that needs to be said’
Thank you!
I never thought he’d bring up the phandom or anything like that, but with the way he worded that I can’t think of anything else it could be. If he was getting any angry dms from phannies or people talking about Colette I’d imagine he’d wanna address them
Also I wasn’t sure if I should mention this, but I saw someone say the other day that they sent him a link to this thread :dead: I’m hoping they were joking but it didn’t seem like it