Catrific

melon lord
morning quiff
Pronouns: she/her

bee wrote:
She doesn't interest me much as well and I don't watch her besides when she's with D&P, but.
I don't really understand the distrust. People apparently want her in their content and keep including her in stuff, so they must like doing that or are getting something out of that?
She doesn't have a clear voice or a brand or really much to say and you kind of need that as a Youtuber. So I get that it's definitely different that she's popular or whatever despite that. To me she just seems more of a behind the scenes person. She doesn't really 'fit' in the spotlight. Or something. But that's my late-night interpretation.

As I said, it's really difficult to explain when you weren't there to see her appear out of the woodwork. Not being rude to you!

To the people she appears with she seems to be friends and to the big youtubers it's probably not a big deal, but it seemed suspicious from the side of the audience. I am very cynical and I refuse to believe there's nothing in it for any party. Cat seems to be in the middle of a lot of youtube stuff. She was the first person Ingrid opened up to, she covered up Joey's sexuality (I believe it was Joey?), she just seems to be everywhere with everyone. Hence the distrust especially with deppy.

The phandom is intense and a lot of phans do hate on her in a disrespectful way, I certainly wouldn't harass her or threaten her or send her hate mail. But also look at Louise, phans love her for the most part and that says a lot.

melon lord
morning quiff

sorry for second posting but revisiting THAT place and found this old gem :lol:

Galactic-Howell
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

melon lord wrote:sorry for second posting but revisiting THAT place and found this old gem :lol:

:roll: We need a bigger eye roll emoji. smh
Wholesome doggo shitposting through life.
You may also call me Gal!
lavenderpetals
butt chair
Pronouns: They/Them

I love right as she posts the selfie she posts this. Directed towards the phandom maybe?
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Probably, though nearly all the replies I saw to the photo were nice. I think she has a point and though it's not directly to anyone which I guess makes it passive-aggressive, she's had people from the phandom be rude about her for years to the point she thinks the whole phandom hates her. Maybe she sees a comment and feels crap (I know I would, I avoid conflict especially online, cos getting older has not helped at all) after one of the few times in a year she gets to see some friends (she called them her faves, if they're some of her best friends, it's pretty special seeing them at all). I'm sure people can get used to unkind comments after a while, but not everyone's skin is made of rubber.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Two minutes in:
Q: What's the hardest part of being a youtuber?
Cat: I would say for me personally - which, I don't know if this is the answer for anyone else - uh, the hardest thing is having friends that are way more successful than you, because there's moments where you want to compare yourself to them and be like, why am I not on the same level that my friends are on, why don't I have as many subscribers as they do? And it's just a thing that you have to really be careful not to let it effect your self-esteem and your work ethic. It's something that I would say I'm normally pretty good at, but I would say the days that have been my hardest within Youtube are the days I'm thinking, should I quit? Is it even worth it continuing try to get a million subscribers or five million subscribers or wherever my friends are at. It's hard not to compare yourself to other.

I guess she was honest, at least.

(She also says she's going to London for Christmas in the video, with two friends - and specifies "Not youtubers. You don't know who they are.")
Afunnyworld
sofa crease

alittledizzy wrote:

Two minutes in:
Q: What's the hardest part of being a youtuber?
Cat: I would say for me personally - which, I don't know if this is the answer for anyone else - uh, the hardest thing is having friends that are way more successful than you, because there's moments where you want to compare yourself to them and be like, why am I not on the same level that my friends are on, why don't I have as many subscribers as they do? And it's just a thing that you have to really be careful not to let it effect your self-esteem and your work ethic. It's something that I would say I'm normally pretty good at, but I would say the days that have been my hardest within Youtube are the days I'm thinking, should I quit? Is it even worth it continuing try to get a million subscribers or five million subscribers or wherever my friends are at. It's hard not to compare yourself to other.

I guess she was honest, at least.

(She also says she's going to London for Christmas in the video, with two friends - and specifies "Not youtubers. You don't know who they are.")
Dont know if this was already mentioned but at 5:40 she says that D&P are the youtubers that she respects the most.
lavenderpetals
butt chair
Pronouns: They/Them

manged wrote:Y'all looking at her hair and I'm looking at those miniature hockey sticks she calls eyebrows.
eevee
emo goose

LMAO at the hockey sticks

I can't believe Cat has stepped so low as to put "HOLO-SEXUAL" in the thumbnail of a video knowing damn well it looks like something else. Nice.
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
sentinel
lady door

eevee wrote:LMAO at the hockey sticks

I can't believe Cat has stepped so low as to put "HOLO-SEXUAL" in the thumbnail of a video knowing damn well it looks like something else. Nice.
it doesn't look like anything else. It's joke that many ytrs have been going on about because of simplynailogical, she even sold merch with 'I'm holosexual' written in holo in it.
eevee
emo goose

sentinel wrote:

it doesn't look like anything else. It's joke that many ytrs have been going on about because of simplynailogical, she even sold merch with 'I'm holosexual' written in holo in it.
at a quick glance, it could look like homosexual.
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
papierklemmen
flower crown

eevee wrote:
sentinel wrote:

at a quick glance, it could look like homosexual.
that's the joke though.

pearshaped34
morning quiff

https://www.patreon.com/catrific

The comments section of her video is also worth a quick read for some of her replies. My favourite being the one where someone suggests she get a second job to get a more stable income and she says in her reply that she's not looking to make more money just more money from people who believe in her as an individual. :sideeye:
dannonfill
spork
Pronouns: they/them

^same, Taylor
pearshaped34 wrote:The comments section of her video is also worth a quick read for some of her replies. My favourite being the one where someone suggests she get a second job to get a more stable income and she says in her reply that she's not looking to make more money just more money from people who believe in her as an individual. :sideeye:
"I don't just want money, I want your money."

I feel bad for her honestly, not a lot but y'know. 700,000+ subscribers, 14 patrons… :? It's embarrassing. It's sad. Like, most of her subscribers plainly don’t care about her. They only stick with her to see other youtubers. That’d take a toll on me personally. I think it must get to her, even if she says it doesn't.
I wrote a paragraph about how I hope she'll change or get another job because blah blah. But to be honest, I probably don't know enough about finances to be on her case for that lol. So I'm gonna highlight her crappy patreon tiers instead. Maybe if they weren't kinda worthless she'd be faring better.
It includes such gems as:
  1. "pay $7 to help make my videos"
    "pay $20 to get a signed selfie of me"
    "pay $50 to help make my videos"
    "pay $100 to get snapchats from me, sometimes"
I see why she has so many patrons, can't pass up those priceless rewards.
... let's talk about house plants.
Birdie
blobfish

I don't think her viewers don't care about her, I just think they're not willing to pay the money for nothing or something stupid like a signed selfie. "Help me make my videos!" basically means "give me money for free!". She should make up some fun rewards, people would probably be more willing to support her then. Like, pay $7 and get thanked in a video, pay $20 and get a small piece of merch, something like that. I wouldn't spend 20 bucks on a signed selfie, not even if she was my favourite youtuber.
manged
lady door

It continues to baffle me how someone who tries to be so introspective and analytical (which I'm mainly basing off her video topics) can be this deluded. It has to be stubbornness at this point. She has the connections and has been in the industry for long enough to know she'd have greater success and a broader audience by creating content under someone else (I'm thinking something Buzzfeed-esque?) But maybe she's too attached to the Catrific brand? Maybe she views getting a second job is a step backward? Maybe she's influenced by her more successful friends and thinks she can follow their path and eventually find her way to the top? Literally nothing else makes sense.

And yeah, I can't at those lame patreon rewards.

Alos wtf is this 2007 choppy-layered high school emo hair she's got going on now?
dannonfill
spork

Birdie wrote:I don't think her viewers don't care about her, I just think they're not willing to pay the money for nothing or something stupid like a signed selfie.
Sorry, I didn’t mean to directly correlate her low amount of patrons to “her viewers don’t care”. I think they’re connected in a roundabout way but yeah whoops, things get lost along the way when I’m writing.
To flesh out what I meant, like anyone asked. The lack of interest is shown to me in her views. Just in the past year her view to sub ratios are horrible, most videos have under 10% views to subs; 70,000 views or less. And historically on her channel the videos that get the most views are collabs/vlogs with popular youtubers, and vague clickbait. Those are the dots I'm connecting here. Basically, I shoulda been clearer in the first place but hopefully the point I was trying to make makes sense now.
Birdie wrote:"Help me make my videos!" basically means "give me money for free!". She should make up some fun rewards, people would probably be more willing to support her then. Like, pay $7 and get thanked in a video, pay $20 and get a small piece of merch, something like that. I wouldn't spend 20 bucks on a signed selfie, not even if she was my favourite youtuber.
I totally agree here. For the viewers that do care about her personally, and I bet there’s more than 15 of them (congrats Cat btw, snagged another one), better rewards would incentivize them to donate. But the rewards aren’t that good, so why would those people bother. If they don’t want what she’s offering, they’ll see it like you said, as giving her money for nothing in return. I hope she steals your ideas tbh.

to manged. but I'll zip it now.
... let's talk about house plants.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Cat is just in that category of YouTubers who just aren't relevant anymore (not that she ever was, her friends were), no matter how hard they try. It's a looooooong list by now and Cat is nowhere near the biggest name on it.

Whenever a YouTuber in this category begs for Patreons after they've already gone downhill like this because nobody is checking for them anymore I just see view them as lazy and an asshole. Patreon should be for people who need funds to make stuff they believe in, not for lazy ass irrelevant YouTubers who have lived the good life for the past few years, didn't notice they were slipping, and woke up in misery but are now too lazy or full of themselves to get a normal (side) job.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
pearshaped34
morning quiff

I still can't get over that her top tier reward for her most generous patreons is being added to her private snapchat. Is that even a good prize? Even if you are someone who really loves and obsesses over her all you'd be getting are a few carefully selected selfies a month.
It's not like you'd be getting an a true look into her private life as she would obviously still have the ability to filter what she sends you and it unlikely to be any different than the content she's already putting on her Instagram or public snapchat (if she has one) for free.

Who'd be willing to pay $1200 a year to for a few dozen "exclusive" selfies of someone? There is literally no one I'd pay that for. Hell I wouldn't pay $10 a month for that no matter who the celebrity or youtuber.
azara
phillion/danosaur <//3

One YouTuber that I think does Patreon very well is a small channel called Samtime (he's pretty hilarious, so you should totally look him up). He thanks his "Patriots" in all his videos and is genuinely appreciative. Plus, his perks are quite generous, I just looked them up:

For anything between $1 and $25 per month, you can get early videos, BTS videos, monthly live chats, a "town" on this pretend island thing he has, which I believe will be incorporated into a card game he's designing, and a card and badge depending on how much you money you gave.

Cat's signed selfie and private snapchat fall a bit flat, compared to Sam's extra effort basically making exclusive videos, recurring liveshows, and early release.

Like pretty much everyone else, I thought Cat was fun with Dan and Phil, but it was really D&P who carried the videos, personality-wise. I agree with the suggestion she might do better with more direction. Most of her own video ideas aren't really up my alley - I find them boring - but Buzzfeed doesn't tend to care about that
Birdie
blobfish

I'm actually one of the few people on here who like her but I'm starting to... not? I don't know, like Catallena said, why isn't she willing to get a sidejob if Youtube isn't making her enough money anymore? A lot of Youtubers have day jobs. It's probably harder to make videos when you have another job but many youtubers manage it just fine. She's uploading twice a week, I think she could manage that.

I'm not really that sure what Patreon is really meant to be but I always thought it was a platform for creators to let their fans be part of creating something and actually get something out of supporting the creator. I only supported someone on Patreon once, one of my favourite bands who needed help creating their new album, and I paid like £20 (=ca. $25?) and in the end I got rewarded with downloads of their latest two EPs and their live album, as well as a signed physical copy of the new album once it was finished. Paying about the same amount of money for Cat would get me... a signed picture of her. Okay, Cat.

I don't mind Youtubers using Patreon at all as long as their patrons are getting something out of it. But Cat is practically just begging for money. :(

On another note: I really like her singing voice. I wish she would talk less before she starts singing when she covers a song (I tend to skip the rambling) but she can sing quite well. Allthough she needs to do something about the quality of the recording, you can barely hear her over the guitar.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

woah what even are these rewards for patreon .-. thats just sad.. i wouldnt spend that much money on that stuff for rewards, not even if it was dan and phil (who are my fave youtubers) maybe if they were better rewards (like others have said), id be willing to pay but as of now.. nah. and i only get 25 dollars a month for "chore money" (what my mom calls it) anyways so it'd be a waste of money imo.
:transheart:
malday
emo goose

I found this pretty funny, because what are the actual odds of this happening:
but if she actually does go to college i say good for her!
Last edited by mermaid blood on Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed broken tumblr code
000dia000
emo goose

malday wrote:I found this pretty funny, because what are the actual odds of this happening:
[tumblr] <div class="tumblr-post" data-href="https://embed.tumblr.com/embed/post/Fvj ... 1136427929" data-did="da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709">[/tumblr]
[tumblr] <div class="tumblr-post" data-href="https://embed.tumblr.com/embed/post/Fvj ... 1139273224" data-did="e42a6891253608ec6107bd33f0a3c40ac14edb99">[/tumblr]

but if she actually does go to college i say good for her!
I don't think a stalker pic indicates her going to college, and it may just be an idea she is tossing around (though if she is telling a randomer it probably is quite definite). Still, good for her, nothing juicy or dirty about it.
:cactus:
pearshaped34
morning quiff

After this many years of Kat doing YT despite never quite taking off and/or getting stellar viewing figures I'd be surprised if Kat entirely gave it up for college (if she is doing that).

And I'm not meaning this in a nasty way but he content is not complex, I'm sure she could mange college with the occasional youtube video. It would not be essential for her to give YT up.

That being said after her crowdfunding thing seems to be failing to raise the cash she hoped she might be finally giving up YT after accepting it's not a viable career for her and she is no longer interested in doing it as a low paid hobbie.
(Which is fair enough. There is quite a few youttubers from her time who still do YT despite never taking off but I genuinely think if it never happend for D&P they would have given it up for real life by now. JMO)