TomSka (Thomas Ridgewell)

Small Breezy
first-time poster

Holy shit guys, he was clearly joking about being a "blemish" and found it amusing... Calm down. Y'all take everything too seriously/literally.
000dia000
emo goose

Small Breezy wrote:Holy shit guys, he was clearly joking about being a "blemish" and found it amusing... Calm down. Y'all take everything too seriously/literally.
This discussion was from a few months back. I feel as if your comment is based on information that is a little out of touch. Sure, Tom makes jokes but these are used as self-depreciating humor to combat literal depression he has, he has done videos about, and frequently mentions in his weekly vlogs. While, yes, Tom does say these in a joking manner, he says these things a lot, and I mean a lot, so when comparing these to his blatant statements about his insecurities, I think people have a right to say "these statements are a bit off, hope he's doing okay :) "
:cactus:
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

i don't know much about tom besides his asdf movies which i find hilarious and i've only seen one of his vlogs but i do find him cute and he's very open about certain topics from what i've heard, like about his mental illness which i appreciate bc we need more people being open about that.
:transheart:
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual
Pronouns: she/her

Skylar wrote:i don't know much about tom besides his asdf movies which i find hilarious and i've only seen one of his vlogs but i do find him cute and he's very open about certain topics from what i've heard, like about his mental illness which i appreciate bc we need more people being open about that.
You mean you haven't watched "Rejects"?:

Or the outtakes?:

Two of the funniest things on the internet
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

LeftHandedism wrote: Two of the funniest things on the internet
Wow, that's quite a high honour. Not gonna lie, they are pretty funny.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

lefthandedism, i have seen those actually now that i think about it oops. i forgot i watched it.
:transheart:
malday
emo goose

the anti-sjw went nuts in the comments of his video

000dia000
emo goose

malday wrote:the anti-sjw went nuts in the comments of his video

I'm surprised he didn't anticipate this, Tom has always made dark jokes, and I don't think has made (frequent) mentions of anything to this nature, so I'm not surprised that he has audience members like this, and just the title alone attracts randomers who just like to comment on videos like this to troll. Still, at least by making this video, he has made his views and points very clear. I particularly liked his response to a guy on twitter: (he didn't actually watch the video, so he made an assumption, and corrects himself, but still)
One thing I appreciate about Tom, is that he's loud and opinionated. While it's both a blessing and curse, in some ways, I love how he goes through the comments and openly replies to things he disagrees with and makes it very clear, especially by making comments under the video so those can see that he intended for the video to be satire, and that he doesn't like anti-SJW types.
nephilimcat
woodland creature

000dia000 wrote:
malday wrote:the anti-sjw went nuts in the comments of his video

I'm surprised he didn't anticipate this, Tom has always made dark jokes, and I don't think has made (frequent) mentions of anything to this nature, so I'm not surprised that he has audience members like this, and just the title alone attracts randomers who just like to comment on videos like this to troll. Still, at least by making this video, he has made his views and points very clear. I particularly liked his response to a guy on twitter: (he didn't actually watch the video, so he made an assumption, and corrects himself, but still)
One thing I appreciate about Tom, is that he's loud and opinionated. While it's both a blessing and curse, in some ways, I love how he goes through the comments and openly replies to things he disagrees with and makes it very clear, especially by making comments under the video so those can see that he intended for the video to be satire, and that he doesn't like anti-SJW types.
I loved that video! It is a perfect satirical example of how people that claim to be allies and support the LGBTQ* community act sometimes. I felt that last comment about bisexuality so much, damn! :(

I agree Tom should've known that all those assholes would flood the video and make stupid comments. Titles and thumbnails like that attract them like light attracts moths. I can't believe that he didn't expect it. Maybe he was surprised by the amount but he must have known that he would get hate for it. It's good to see where he stands and it's always nice to see videos about this topic that are comedic. And it's not queer people that are the joke Anti-SJW are so butthurt now
Last edited by jesp on Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed tags
pulvis et umbra sumus
onetruetrash
blobfish

This is pretty random, but I had no idea where to put this so

I was looking through the GG threads about Alex Day and veeoneeye, I dunno how that happened, but apparently Tom tweeted "5 down, 2 to go" when Jason (veeoneeye) was exposed. Who were the other two. I'm assuming one was KarimAbridged, but who was the other? Did we ever find out?
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

It's been so long since we've given TomSka's thread any love!

I have to say that I'm more invested in him than in Deppy these days. I watch "Last Week" just before going to sleep every Monday night (or Tuesday night, if his or my schedule has gotten messed up). I don't know what I'll do when "Last Week" is over--only four more weeks left! :sobs:

I know I'm not the only TomSka fan on IDB--I wonder how much of the phandom actually watches him--I'm sure he picks up a few more every time UpdatedPhan points out Deppy in one of his vlogs!

Anyway, however many of us there are, he definitely trolled us this Last Week (17:20-17:40):

"Why am I left-handed?"
000dia000
emo goose

LeftHandedism wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:10 am It's been so long since we've given TomSka's thread any love!

I have to say that I'm more invested in him than in Deppy these days. I watch "Last Week" just before going to sleep every Monday night (or Tuesday night, if his or my schedule has gotten messed up). I don't know what I'll do when "Last Week" is over--only four more weeks left! :sobs:

I know I'm not the only TomSka fan on IDB--I wonder how much of the phandom actually watches him--I'm sure he picks up a few more every time UpdatedPhan points out Deppy in one of his vlogs!

Anyway, however many of us there are, he definitely trolled us this Last Week (17:20-17:40):

[hi!]
I actually haven't watched this Last Week yet, I've been busy with school, but I'm planning to sit down and watch this vlog with breakfast tomorrow lol. I've been watching this series religiously now since he first started, it's become a weekly routine, and I'm not looking forward to this series ending :snow: I know that he just plans to make a monthly/seasonal vlogging series and that he just wants to end rather than burn out. Still, I miss the small moments and little developments along the way. I love keeping up with him and seeing him and his group of friends every week. I'm really going to miss it when it's gone.

On a higher note, to talk about a different thing. I actually loved his recent vid:
It wasn't structured, was a bit random, unscripted, and honestly a bit of a mess, but I loved it all the more for something different. He usually has very well thought out and scripted videos that are great too, but this video was just fun from the perspective of a fan of Last Week where he messes around with Eddie and Elliot in the office. I would still like the structured content, but a bit of fun like this was nice. He did a poll on Twitter today, he is going to go through old files on his computer, he said that he was either going to do a short and snappy fun video giving no context, or a video where he goes into detail on each item. While I love his fun videos, I feel like it would be more interesting, that also seemed to be the popular vote, so he seems to be going with that. I'm looking forward to it anyway :tu:
malday
emo goose

He ended Last Week on a high note. I also was into the routine of watching his vlogs (the only vlog i still followed on youtube) every week so i'll miss it.
kavat
pastel persona

It's sad to see Last week end, I really liked the series and following Tom through the ups and downs of his life. I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with next.

Side note, I love Elliot so much and want to marry him.
alien
procrastinator

I will miss Last Week but I honestly can't imagine what it's like to vlog every.single.day. I have a hard enough time filming a second every day for 1SE let alone enough entertaining content for a 20+ min video each week.

It will be interesting to see if this frees up enough time to create something bigger and better. I hope so.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm putting off watching the final Last Week. If I don't watch it, it's not over, right?

I did just see this, though.
I am still wondering why he's not with IRL?
000dia000
emo goose

alien wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:45 pm I will miss Last Week but I honestly can't imagine what it's like to vlog every.single.day. I have a hard enough time filming a second every day for 1SE let alone enough entertaining content for a 20+ min video each week.

It will be interesting to see if this frees up enough time to create something bigger and better. I hope so.
I think he will still "vlog" but not to the same degree, he might just film whenever he feels like it instead of making it an obligatory part of his day to day life. I think he started doing it in the first place just to have something regular to do and a bit of direction. He seems interested in doing something like a podcast, who knows if that will come through.
kavat wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:10 pm Side note, I love Elliot so much and want to marry him.
Same.
kavat
pastel persona

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:47 pm I'm putting off watching the final Last Week. If I don't watch it, it's not over, right?

I did just see this, though.
I am still wondering why he's not with IRL?
Man, that's a bummer. Right now is probably when he would have sold most posters, while it's still fresh in people's minds and they want to show their support, so it sucks that it's not working out.

He did have an IRL-store in the works, didn't he? Did he try out both and chose Global event for some reason?
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

I finally stopped putting off watching the final last week today and... :sobs: I'm gonna miss it so much. Tom was one of the few weekly vlogger I watched constantly after i stumbled across them sometime early last year. I knew he was doing vlogging due to the clips with d&p in them, but I never took the time to sit down and watch them in full. But once I did, I was instantly drawn to it. Something about how open Tom can be with many things from personal stuff like his mental health to how he does youtube related stuff and shows many of what goes on behind the scenes was so interesting and great to come back to every week. Honestly seeing Eddie, Elliot, Charlie and Squidge was also such a blast to watch. The final last week ending is something i wasn't expecting but :rofl: that was such a great and semi emotional way to end it. :love1:
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

We can no longer watch him vlogging (boo; but I have Emily Hayward for that), but Tom's lastest video on darksquidge honestly made me laugh out loud. I also don't remember hearing his American accent before, but it's not bad. Watch if you want to spend 17 minutes wiping your eyes!

"Why am I left-handed?"
fieldoflovers
living flop

Anyone watch asdefmovie 11? I saw it and I'm happy for Tom that its #2 on trending but I only cracked a smile one, then again maybe I've grown up
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Oh, thanks for the reminder! Yeah, I don't think I'm the target audience, and I don't think it was one of his best (he didn't seem to think it would be either), but I certainly smiled a few times.

I'm just really glad he had asdf to help fund some of his other ventures. He has said that he's so lucky to have hit the jackpot on a franchise that he's been able to keep going.
"Why am I left-handed?"
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

I remember watching asdfmovies with my brother years ago, so they'll always have a certain nostalgia value for me, but this time I did truly feel that I'm no longer (or never was) the target audience.
opendoor
rainbow nerd

I'm so incredibly happy for Tom! He does deserve better. :love1:

I saw this title and clicked it like "you better not be trolling me you motherfucker cause I want good things for you dammit". And he wasn't trolling! Yay!!

S/n but I think Dan is in a similar place atm. I actually posted this in the main-thread in the post Mukbang discussion. I think depression is a factor in his life, but it's not affecting him as much or lasting as long.

Also while I'm in the thread #content videos on Darksquidge are perfect for when you don't wanna think and just want to laugh.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.