Jenna Marbles & Julien

kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

I also don't think she was cancelled. She's taking responsibility for her own actions by taking down the videos, apologizing for them, and leaving until further notice. That's how that's supposed to go.

As a fan, I'm sad to see her go, and I've loved seeing her grow and learn and take actions making her content as inclusive as possible in the past few years. My brain wants to go "why does she have to leave when there are 1000 worse people still on that platform" but this is ultimately her choice and no one elses. I can only hope that some of the more problematic people look at this and realize that this is the way to do it (though I doubt it).
blahblahblah8
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I just have to let a rant out because I feel so frustrated. People just wanted her to be held accountable for supporting people like Shane and Jeffree. She friends with these people that have said and done deplorable things and even recently promoted Jeffree’s newest palette. In her video she didn’t address any of that. The result of her leaving is everyone crying about “cancel culture” and acting like she’s some kind of martyr/victim of this horrible toxic thing when in reality people were just holding her accountable for being friends with people who have and continue to hurt soooo many people. I’ve seen so many people acting more upset about her leaving YouTube than they were about countless black people being killed. I feel like she wanted to quit anyways and is using this opportunity to do so without it being her “fault” and at the same time, she’s distracting from the real issue here. That video was basically the epitome of white woman tears. This probably reads very harsh but I’m just so sick of this, I’ve seen so many white people defending her and it’s just not their place!
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

blahblahblah8 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:05 pm I just have to let a rant out because I feel so frustrated. People just wanted her to be held accountable for supporting people like Shane and Jeffree. She friends with these people that have said and done deplorable things and even recently promoted Jeffree’s newest palette. In her video she didn’t address any of that. The result of her leaving is everyone crying about “cancel culture” and acting like she’s some kind of martyr/victim of this horrible toxic thing when in reality people were just holding her accountable for being friends with people who have and continue to hurt soooo many people. I’ve seen so many people acting more upset about her leaving YouTube than they were about countless black people being killed. I feel like she wanted to quit anyways and is using this opportunity to do so without it being her “fault” and at the same time, she’s distracting from the real issue here. That video was basically the epitome of white woman tears. This probably reads very harsh but I’m just so sick of this, I’ve seen so many white people defending her and it’s just not their place!
Yes this. I'm white so it's not my place to say anything besides she apologized, but it's clear she's extremely complacent in a lot of things that she didn't address/skated over. And it's like girl...why do you want these racist, toxic (amongst other things) people in your life? Is an ugly makeup palette really worth it? Is saving face with those people really worth it? Why do you think these people deserve respect? She's shown growth in a lot of ways, but refusing to deal with what is definitely the most harmful part of her actions rubs me the wrong way.

I also hate that this is just going to bring up a whole wave of anti-sj bullshit because so many people think cancel culture made her quit.

And maybe this is an unpopular opinion but...I strongly think she will be back in some form or another. Be that doing only the occasional video or whatever. She's rich but eventually the bills aren't going to pay themselves.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

obsessivelymoody wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:10 am
blahblahblah8 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:05 pm I just have to let a rant out because I feel so frustrated. People just wanted her to be held accountable for supporting people like Shane and Jeffree. She friends with these people that have said and done deplorable things and even recently promoted Jeffree’s newest palette. In her video she didn’t address any of that. The result of her leaving is everyone crying about “cancel culture” and acting like she’s some kind of martyr/victim of this horrible toxic thing when in reality people were just holding her accountable for being friends with people who have and continue to hurt soooo many people. I’ve seen so many people acting more upset about her leaving YouTube than they were about countless black people being killed. I feel like she wanted to quit anyways and is using this opportunity to do so without it being her “fault” and at the same time, she’s distracting from the real issue here. That video was basically the epitome of white woman tears. This probably reads very harsh but I’m just so sick of this, I’ve seen so many white people defending her and it’s just not their place!
Yes this. I'm white so it's not my place to say anything besides she apologized, but it's clear she's extremely complacent in a lot of things that she didn't address/skated over. And it's like girl...why do you want these racist, toxic (amongst other things) people in your life? Is an ugly makeup palette really worth it? Is saving face with those people really worth it? Why do you think these people deserve respect? She's shown growth in a lot of ways, but refusing to deal with what is definitely the most harmful part of her actions rubs me the wrong way.

I also hate that this is just going to bring up a whole wave of anti-sj bullshit because so many people think cancel culture made her quit.

And maybe this is an unpopular opinion but...I strongly think she will be back in some form or another. Be that doing only the occasional video or whatever. She's rich but eventually the bills aren't going to pay themselves.
Julian's note actually changed my opinion to believing that she was ready to be done with youtube (at least in her channel's current form) anyway and this was just motivation to cut the cord now instead of waiting for a formal goodbye on her own terms.

And yeah, I said in my original post that the thing that left a bad taste in my mouth was her friendships. I do think her video had sincere emotion in it, I do think she's changed in terms of what she finds humorous and her empathy levels in her comedy and in general, but it's so hard when good people have a blind spot to the bad people in their life. She completely omitted an apology for how she has used her platform to support bad people; Felix, Shane, Jeffree.

I think she'll be back in some form, and I do still look forward to that but I hope she's doing a hell of a lot of reflecting while she's gone and I hope her most diehard fans stop using this as an excuse to be more racist.
kavat
pastel persona

Here's a video of Julien on stream the other day.

Basically he says:
- thank you for the support
- Jenna won't be online at all for the foreseeable future
- Please respect her and her choice to be offline for a while
- Julien will resume streams/podcast alone

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I tried to watch Julien's hot pocket video yesterday and it just felt... idk. Slightly stressful? I love him so I'm sure I'll end up watching it but I had some feelings.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:01 pm I tried to watch Julien's hot pocket video yesterday and it just felt... idk. Slightly stressful? I love him so I'm sure I'll end up watching it but I had some feelings.
Yeah I think it felt kind of forced. The tone is different, and I totally get that; you can't separate what's happened from future content, and with him saying he feels like a hot pocket at the start. So the kind of...melancholic (not sure if this is the right word for this tbh) tone makes sense, but the whole video felt very forced, like he really didn't want to be there. Even the editing made it feel that way.
Philena
blobfish

obsessivelymoody wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:45 am
alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:01 pm I tried to watch Julien's hot pocket video yesterday and it just felt... idk. Slightly stressful? I love him so I'm sure I'll end up watching it but I had some feelings.
Yeah I think it felt kind of forced. The tone is different, and I totally get that; you can't separate what's happened from future content, and with him saying he feels like a hot pocket at the start. So the kind of...melancholic (not sure if this is the right word for this tbh) tone makes sense, but the whole video felt very forced, like he really didn't want to be there. Even the editing made it feel that way.
I just sat down to watch it with my breakfast, then immediately checked here to see of anyone had posted about how weird it was.. and, yeah. 🙃 So awkward, so nervous. Wow.
scientia
phabergé

I did enjoy his solo podcast this week. I like his advice and it didn't feel as forced as perhaps a main channel video!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

scientia wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:08 am I did enjoy his solo podcast this week. I like his advice and it didn't feel as forced as perhaps a main channel video!
Ooh thanks for that heads up, I was avoiding the podcast because I felt like it would probably have the same vibe as the video so I'm gonna go ahead and listen now.
scientia
phabergé

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:02 pm
scientia wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:08 am I did enjoy his solo podcast this week. I like his advice and it didn't feel as forced as perhaps a main channel video!
Ooh thanks for that heads up, I was avoiding the podcast because I felt like it would probably have the same vibe as the video so I'm gonna go ahead and listen now.
I'm curious - what did you think??
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

scientia wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:58 am
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:02 pm
I'm curious - what did you think??
I did enjoy it - way more than the video.

I also really liked his pad thai video. I think that he was excited about trying something new there helped a lot.
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

Sorry to be the bearer of sad news, but the J&J podcast is no more 😔

I was so happy to hear Jenna say that's she's okay and is getting help, and becoming more of a person. I've been following the podcast since before I found this forum and I gotta say, this hit me harder than I thought. I know it sounds dramatic and I KNOW good things must come to and end eventually, but I'll miss this podcast like nothing else, to just tune in and forget everything for awhile.. it was so special to me.

I'm super sad now but in time I will remember it fondly, and listen to a couple episodes on repeat.
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
scientia
phabergé

I'm personally satisfied that they pulled the plug on the podcast. I thought Julien did a good job with the few solo podcasts, but I was getting a little annoyed at commenters who would only talk about Jenna. As we all know well - lol :cry: - the switch from dual content to solo content is tough on an audience and the creators. As sad as I am that this happened so abruptly, I think it was better for everyone that they call it now and not leave the door open. Especially since there won't be questions of if Jenna will return any time soon - it's difficult for the audience and must be super tough on them to deal with that while they're adjusting. I'm happy she came on this final episode!

Edited to add: I hope I don't come across as dismissive - I only discovered the podcast within the last year, but it ABSOLUTELY became a part of my life and I'll miss it dearly. I just think it was responsible and mature for them to end it now...which is nothing more than I would expect from them ;(
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Julien posted a snip of Twitch stream on his side channel where he talks pretty honestly about his emotional relationship to being online and how much energy it takes to be a version of yourself online. I don't watch him on Twitch, but YT recommended the vid to me and I'm glad I watched. I'm always very interested in some of the unseen demands of an online job and I think he did a good job exploring some of those.

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

OMG!!!!
obvsly
#relatable

I'M SO HAPPY FOR THEM!!!!! :happytears: :happytears: :happytears:
scientia
phabergé

Awwww the news is amazing. I saw a clip of him saying that everything the chat was experiencing (joy, excitement), he experienced the night he proposed. I’m glad they felt comfortable sharing it publicly.
kavat
pastel persona

A clip from the stream

<3
glitterintheair
phillluminati

This vid popped up in my recommendations and I suggest you watch it if you want to experience some good emotions:

I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

In case you haven't seen, Jenna and Julien got married!!! :ribena:

"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"