Jenna Marbles & Julien

eevee
emo goose

Loving Jenna and Julien lately, would love to discuss. Anyone watch them?
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
bee
phabergé

Love them too! Though I don't always watch their vlogs. Jenna is my first Youtuber I subscribed to, in 2010 I think, and therefor I feel sentimental about her ;) I am also her age so it feels like we grew up together a bit.
Her recent video looking back on her Youtube career so far was lovely I think. Made me all nostalgic and teary haha. (Also, the dogs in the background )

Oh and I would love for to go visit their house and hang out with the dogs. Or Phil make a video with Jenna.
eevee
emo goose

I really liked that video too!! She's really changed a lot since she started youtube, huh? I still love her tho.
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
tigertatze
living flop
Pronouns: she/her

Loved the video, especially her acknowledging how some of the things she did were wrong and how comments calling her out about it helped her grow as a person etc.
It made me really emotional too for some reason (I like Jenna but I'm not that invested in her either normally)
#nohetero
eevee
emo goose

tigertatze wrote:Loved the video, especially her acknowledging how some of the things she did were wrong and how comments calling her out about it helped her grow as a person etc.
It made me really emotional too for some reason (I like Jenna but I'm not that invested in her either normally)
I agree, it was definitely great that she recognized how far she's come in terms of maturity :)
lilMango
morning quiff

I love them both! Their podcasts are my favorite. #DinkFam lol
Phil Lester wrote:"I'll rub myself in a mango before I eat a mango."
"Make no judgements where you have no compassion." -Anne McCaffrey
eevee
emo goose

#Dinkfam!! I also love their streams but I keep forgetting to watch them in real time...
bee
phabergé

Trolling Jenna is my favourite Jenna.
mazza1506
crusty sponge

Her little troll of Julien's style at the end made me laugh the most....hehe

She is the first youtuber I ever subscribed to - Love her!
eevee
emo goose

there were so many trolly elements, I loved when she talked about the packaging of the chipotle food lol
bee
phabergé

yeah and the unboxing of the pillow etc :lol:
eevee
emo goose

I'm obsessed but at some parts it was so real.......
NarrysCanary
janice from the shop

I usually don't watch Jenna's videos but I'm subscribed to her for some reason and I liked that video !
:biheart:
Philena
blobfish

Aw, I just watched Lilly's roast video yesterday and loved it so much. Jenna's is great, too! I really like her dorky personality.
bee
phabergé

NarrysCanary wrote:I usually don't watch Jenna's videos but I'm subscribed to her for some reason and I liked that video !
[offtopic]your breathing Dan signature is very soothing to my frazzled nerves right now :thumb:[/offtopic]

I liked Jenna's roast. I watched Grace's and then thought NO I will not watch anymore of these but Jenna won me over. I want to hang out with her and be friends and laugh at ourselves
NarrysCanary
janice from the shop

bee wrote:
NarrysCanary wrote:I usually don't watch Jenna's videos but I'm subscribed to her for some reason and I liked that video !
[offtopic]your breathing Dan signature is very soothing to my frazzled nerves right now :thumb:[/offtopic]

I liked Jenna's roast. I watched Grace's and then thought NO I will not watch anymore of these but Jenna won me over. I want to hang out with her and be friends and laugh at ourselves
[offtopic]You're welcome :) breathing Dan is quite relaxing. Superwoman's roast is good as well you should watch if you haven't already[/offtopic]
:biheart:
eevee
emo goose

bee wrote:I liked Jenna's roast. I watched Grace's and then thought NO I will not watch anymore of these but Jenna won me over. I want to hang out with her and be friends and laugh at ourselves
I agree, Grace's was kinda terrible and totally turned me off, but Jenna's was significantly less cringeworthy and I really enjoyed it!
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

eevee wrote:
bee wrote:I liked Jenna's roast. I watched Grace's and then thought NO I will not watch anymore of these but Jenna won me over. I want to hang out with her and be friends and laugh at ourselves
I agree, Grace's was kinda terrible and totally turned me off, but Jenna's was significantly less cringeworthy and I really enjoyed it!
I actually quite liked Grace's roast. I don't usually like her content so idk. I liked Jenna's but she definitely got harsh with herself.
eevee
emo goose

^ The more I watch Jenna's the more I realize that she was doing it all in good spirit and I don't really think Jenna dislikes herself or is upset with her career, or else she wouldn't have said half the things she actually ended up saying. Also watching Julien's vlog gave me a huge appreciation for how much work she put into the video.

nigel ratburn
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

bringing back this long-deceased thread to mention recent developments in the world of jenna-- basically, she made a video about getting some pet fish, she was misinformed (both in terms of her own research and by people at the store she went to who claimed to be experts) about certain things that are necessary in providing a safe and healthy environment for fish, and she has since taken down the video and uploaded a video explaining what she did wrong, how she's rectified the situation, and how she doesn't want other people to make the same mistakes she did

if there's one thing i really appreciate about jenna, it's that she is so invested in making sure her pets are happy and that everyone else has good information on how to properly care for their pets-- it's rare that someone responds to criticism in such a timely, thoughtful, and respectful way and i just wanted to shout her out for it
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I really appreciated that video from her. I think she handles situations like that with grace and I genuinely believe she has the best interest of living creatures at heart.

The only thing I question is her taking them back to the same store; wouldn't it be inevitable that they're just going to be sold by the same guy, who gives their new owners similarly bad advice? If the store found it appropriate to tell people that some fish just die in the cycle then I don't think she really spared them much.
nigel ratburn
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:30 pm I really appreciated that video from her. I think she handles situations like that with grace and I genuinely believe she has the best interest of living creatures at heart.

The only thing I question is her taking them back to the same store; wouldn't it be inevitable that they're just going to be sold by the same guy, who gives their new owners similarly bad advice? If the store found it appropriate to tell people that some fish just die in the cycle then I don't think she really spared them much.
yeah, i had that thought, as well (i hadn't finished her video before i made the post and i probably would have mentioned that otherwise, whoops). i don't know how i would respond in that situation-- it probably would have been better for her to have kept them and done as much as she could to rectify the situation, but i can understand why she would bring them back considering how emotionally draining it was for her to continue to try to keep them. ultimately, she just brought them back to the same environment that they were in before she got them, so it's not like it was a net negative for the fish, but it doesn't help them in any way, either. that guy at the store just sounds like such a douche, good god.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

I was watching this Jenna and Julien podcast, and wanted to link it here because I thought it was really great.

They make good points, are very articulate, aren't afraid to call out youtube for their shit, and have a fair, mature and balanced conversation about the Logan Paul situation and youtube in general. I really like Jenna (I don't know as much about Julien but he seems like a good guy as well), and I don't watch every single one of her videos but I think her approach to youtube over the past few years has been great. She seems to have grown into a very mature, kind, and caring person, while also keeping her fun humour and 'fuck it' attitude when it comes to making videos she wants to make.
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

yessss that podcast was fantastic. well worthwhile listening to the whole thing if you have any interest whatsoever in youtube and it's future. their hesitation and honesty at the end about being literally afraid of youtube/google because they're biting the hand that feeds them is a very salient point and will only get more relevant for more creators as time goes on. it felt both sad and foreboding.

does anyone watch their gaming livestreams? the most recent one, yesterday or the day before i can't recall, jenna sounded upset when her game effed up and she got stuck under the map. almost like her voice was a bit wavery. hard to tell though without being able to see her face. after that julien kind of got kind of serious and wasn't joking around as much, and they ended the stream on a bit of a downer vibe imo. idk it was interesting; maybe she was just overtired but i do get the feeling something is up with jenna lately.
art in avatar by lily
greenergrass
stress mushroom

mermaid blood wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:27 am yessss that podcast was fantastic. well worthwhile listening to the whole thing if you have any interest whatsoever in youtube and it's future. their hesitation and honesty at the end about being literally afraid of youtube/google because they're biting the hand that feeds them is a very salient point and will only get more relevant for more creators as time goes on. it felt both sad and foreboding.

does anyone watch their gaming livestreams? the most recent one, yesterday or the day before i can't recall, jenna sounded upset when her game effed up and she got stuck under the map. almost like her voice was a bit wavery. hard to tell though without being able to see her face. after that julien kind of got kind of serious and wasn't joking around as much, and they ended the stream on a bit of a downer vibe imo. idk it was interesting; maybe she was just overtired but i do get the feeling something is up with jenna lately.
Yes, I mean you can tell they are still afraid of what youtube can do to them, but they still have the courage to put it all out there. And they didn't just purely say nasty things about youtube, the logan paul situation, etc. They actually had a good discussion and gave good reasons for their thoughts. I really respected them for how they handled the podcast.

I haven't watched many of their gaming livestreams, and haven't seen the one you're talking about. That's interesting though. Do you have a link/timestamp to the moment, or do you have any other examples of why you think something is up with Jenna?